HIFIMAN Audivina Loaner Tour!!
Aug 9, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #151 of 164
Today I received the Audivina doing the European tour.

First impressions are:
Very good comfort.
I like the timbre.
Detailed.
Leaky.
Stage is ridiculous for a closed back.

Headphone arrived in good order and everything seems to be working.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #152 of 164
I received the Audiivina. Sounds quite like an Hifiman I expected. lol I generally like Hifiman sounds since I've owned number of them in the past. It's interesting to hear a closed-back version of HE1000 type headphone. I'll provide more in-depth impression once I've had enough listening.

So far, I will say I hope ya'll driven it sufficiently

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #154 of 164
20230810_171510 (1).jpg

Beautiful looking headphone due to the clean wood finish, but overall, the structural design is a rehash of what we’ve already seen for years from Hifiman.

I do not like the H logo on the center of the wood, and never been a big fan of this logo from Hifiman.

The wood finish looks very good, and clean, that the best part of the aesthetic of Audivina. I like the colors of the pads and the headband matching, and the silver works with the other colors.

As for isolation, it’s not the one you’d consider for isolation. It doesn’t isolate well even if it’s a closed back.

Overall, it sounds like what I expect of a Hifiman to sound, but with some issues. In some respects, it seems to sound as detailed as the Hifiman HEK series, or at least the V1 that I’ve heard before in the past, and can come off less detailed due to the mids sounding like it was pulled back, less control in the treble, and the addition of warmth from it's closed formfactor.

Strong suit of these headphones is the sound stage. For a closed back, it sounds very open. And nice reflection response when acoustic like sounds are filling the stage. Hifimans generally do well with acoustics.

Also, I’m getting good bass response. I’m thinking that the closed format is providing a stronger bass response with the frame of HEK series. Because HEK series isn’t known for strong bass impact. I suspect it has to do with providing enough current to the planar, as it’s driver is very low impedance with lower SPL than the typical headphones out there. A transportable DAC/Amp I’ve used required very high volume, and didn’t sound like it was driving sufficiently. I had to go with my desktop solid stage to drive it sufficiently. So, if you are not getting enough bass, it’s likely not getting sufficient current.

It keeps the openback Hifiman HEK characteristics in respect to the treble. However, treble control doesn’t seem to be it’s strong suit. Treble sounds to be less precise than I want to hear, and in some respects can get peaky at time, not in the most offensive way, but to a certain level beyond acceptable to my ears. Some tracks do get fairly sibilant as well. Also, the cymbals doesn't sound like it has the sufficiently peaked dynamic range. It sounds muted. My HE6 has the full shimmer of cymbals, but some may argue it can sound a bit too hot for other sounds.

Another issue is the tonal response of the mids. There seams to be a portion that is scouped out in the mids, likely to tune it to sound like it has greater sound stage or to decrease cup reflections? Anyway, certain tracks sound like mids are sound like it’s going through a narrow tunnel, and needs amplification. So, certain vocals lose fullness due to certain frequencies being higher than others.

In general, not great with pop with vocals due to treble and the mids. Seems to work well with classical or orchestra type music however, and of course acoustical instrument which Hifimans excel at.

Although wood looks great, it’s not what I get headphones for. I get it for the sound. Audivina isn’t the type of headphone I would be eager to reach for due to it’s sound response. I need at minimum, a good enough tonal balance that doesn't sound like the part of the response is scouped out. That's just the bare minimum for my standards. I don't want to be sitting there thinking, something is off, time to time. This can be the case with the most expensive headphones, which shouldn't be the case based on price.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #155 of 164
Has anyone been able to compare these with the Denon 9200?
I generally found 9200 quite interesting due it's bass response, which had me really engaged with particular type of music for a bit (hip-hop). I found it interesting how easy it was to drive, but also the bass response that it outputted was expressions I didn't know was in the tracks, which I found interesting. It expressed bass in a unique way that made ghetto hip-hop bass sounding more nuanced than what I expected. Which was really odd. lol. It's a very different headphone from the Audivina. Audivinia is more lean sounding in comparison, and won't have so much upper-mids like the 9200, but it will make up for it with it's treble. I think 9200 is more interesting sounding headphone. Audivina is probably more suited for classical type music.

I'm not sure how consistant 9200 is. The first one I really enjoyed the bass, but another one the upper-mids sound a bit hotter than I would have liked, and bass wasn't as impressive. Maybe it's a lotto?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #156 of 164
Audivina Review

I have have been listening to the Audivina for close to two week now. Thanks to Hifiman for setting up the review tour, much appreciated.

Chain:
PC ->USB -> SMSL SU-10 -> Kinki THR-1 / WBA Hybrid 6SN7 amp -> Forza Noir Hybrid -> Audivina
Tubes: TungSol 6SN7WGT 1959 and Raytheon 6SN7GTB '50s

It's no secret that the Audivina is a divisive pair of headphones. The stock sound is a bit of an acquired taste. In that way it reminds me a bit of the HD800, not sonically, but that they are both very good at certain things. For the Audivina it is soundstage and imaging.

FR and EQ
The frequency response is noticeably forward in the 600-1500 Hz range. This can make them sound a bit strident and thin. The sub bass rolls of below 50 Hz and there is a 6 kHz spike that can be bothersome.

1692821599514.png

However, with the help of some EQ I have been able to get a more mellow, relaxed and rich sound out of the Audivina. Most of my listening has been done with the following EQ-settings:

1692822042086.png

This is not the final say on how to EQ the Audivina, but it has helped me get them to a place where I can enjoy most music more than with the stock sound.
I am using Equaliser APO.

I have been very impressed with the Audivina. But I understand why someone might not be. It sounds different from many headphones. Some of that is down to stock frequency response and some of it is down to personal preferences. Going by previous reviews I was not expecting to like the Audivina, but that really changed when I got to hear them for myself, adding some EQ made me like them even more.

Sound and technicalities
I mostly compared the Audivina against the Arya Stealth (AS). I will try using the picture below to show how I pereceive them:

Audivina vs AS.jpg

The terminlogy and images I am using here may not be what people consider to be in the "Official Head-Fi Dictionary".
But I am using them because I feel that they best describe what makes the Audivina special.

Soundstage
The Audivina generally places the origin of sounds further away from the ear. The AS feels like it is playing more up-close.
The Audivina has a large stage and a clear back wall. Picture an orchestra playing on a stage like this:

1692823635238.png

The Arya Stealth feels more like listening to an open air concert. Sounds will dissipate away from you until they fade out in the distance.
On the Audivina the listening space is more defined.

Layering
The Audivina will put different instruments and sounds in more separate layers. I feel the AS will place things at different depths, but the layering is not as well separated. Lthere is less distinction between layers.

Imaging directionality and clarity
Image placement on the Audivina is perhaps it's strongest positive trait. You will hear sounds coming from many different directions. Each sound is well separated and has it's own space and place in the overall soundstage. Picking out individual instruments and separating them from others is not a problem.
Images on the AS have more diffuse edges and sound less clearly outlined.

Detail presentation
To my ears the Audivina is more detailed than the AS. When I listen to the AS I am impressed with the details it presents, but when I switch over to the Audivina I notice more things in the music. It's like some smaller details get smoothed over by the AS. What first looks like a smooth hill, will show to have depressions and peaks that I didn't notice at first.

Punch and slam
The Audivina can get up and punch pretty good. The sub bass doesn't have the heavy slam of say an Eikon, but it is there and you can definitely hear it. There is no clear best here. The Eikon and AS have more weight to the sub bass, but the Audivina sounds cleaner. It's a different take on the presentation. This is preference related.

Isolation and leakage
These are not the best at isolation and they leak quite a lot of sound. If those qualities are important to you, I would recommend you try something else.

Comfort
The headband distributes the weight very well. The pads are soft and comfortable, there is much room inside them. Clamp is moderate, slightly less than on the AS.
These are headphones that I can use for a long time without being bothered by weight or clamping pressure.

Conclusion
The Audivina was not what I expected it to be. It has great soundstage and imaging from the start. But reining in parts of the FR and lifting up others lets the Audivina show off more of what it can be. Don't dismiss it until you have tried it for yourself and why not see if you will like it better with EQ.

The soundstage and imaging clarity let me hear more of what is in the music, compared to other headphones I have.

The Audivina is not open, but sounds like an open back.
It is closed, but doesn't isolate like a good closed back.
It doesn't fit in the traditional role of an open back or a closed back.

I may not need the Audvina, but I want it.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #157 of 164
Hi All,

I received the Audivina for the tour in the US today. Before I get started, I would like to address Hifiman. First, thank you for including me on the tour. Second, your communication of the tour and who is on it is terrible. I heard nothing for months and had completely written off that I was accepted to be part of the tour. Not a word until the day you had it shipped to me. I am sure you are busy and this is probably a very long tour, but communication could be better. It is very difficult to plan around take it or leave it. Please make this easier on the participants by at least letting them know they are included in the tour. It doesn't need to be a surprise, it should be something that we each can plan for since we are taking the time to provide impressions and our own money to ship. 2 weeks isn't a lot of time, I'd like to plan to make the most of it.

That off my chest, I am enjoying the headphone very much for a first day. I hated it for the first 30 minutes or so. I thought it sounded thin, v shaped and brittle. My amps biased, the headphone warmed up and I got used to the sound. A sound that is very interesting and I quite like. It isn't perfect, but it has enough of the Hifiman tuning that I love. I tend to not like the stealth magnet versions of Hifiman's headphones. The thinness of the drivers I think leads to a thinness in the sound that is slight but discernible. However, the Audivina is not bright and I have been listening for hours without tiring of the sound or any sense of fatigue. I have listened to it on 3 amps tonight. The CFA3, The Meier Corda Soul and the Eddie Current Aficionado. DAC duties have been the Corda Soul and the Matrix X2 Pure when using the CFA3 or Aficionado.

I will leave my main impressions for my review in 2 weeks. I am not sure how much time I will get to spend with the Audivina as I wasn't planning to be doing a review right now

The headphone has a wonderful soundstage, a beautifully rendered mid-band and tonality befitting of Hifiman. I love the tone of the HEKv2 and my absolute favorite headphone, the LFF Hifiman Code X. The Audivina is not to the level of the HEKv2 or the Code X when it comes to tone, but it is still wonderfully life like and alive. I am still learning how it reacts to music in different situations and I am trying to figure out how it handles a headphones 4 windows and the angles that lie within. But, after 1 night of listening I am enthused by what I an hearing. I would like the upper midrange and lower treble to be a bit more relaxed and I would like to see the bass move up a bit in the mix. Not necessarily more bass, just positioned a bit higher in the mix as it is drowned out a bit by the midrange. It doesn't bleed, it is just positionally not where I would like it. I added 2 db of bass on the Corda Soul's tone controls and it brought the bass up a bit in the mix without really boosting the amount of bass. Now it sounds fantastic with more weight and bit more note saturation. That saturation with great amplification becomes resolution and still allows the headphones decay to bend notes and the size of the stage allows you to get inside of your music's pocket. That in and of itself makes it a compelling headphone. This is a part of the HEKv2 which I find addicting and is the reason it continues to sit so highly for me in my stable. The Audivina has enough of that to peak my interest. I am looking forward to the next couple weeks and I hope I can find enough time to really get to know Audivina.

I have always loved the way Hifiman headphones fit my head, especially since they switched their design language to the HEK type. I find they disappear onto my head and I can listen without any discomfort for hours. They have zero hotspots for me and the pads feel great. As much as Hifiman's cables are a sense of debate, I have always found their cables to sound excellent and I feel the same way about the XLR cable I am using tonight. I would only change the cable for something shorter and perhaps not as rubbery. Sonically the cable is stellar, in my opinion. Talk again soon....

Good night!

Sep 16, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #158 of 164
Well, as part of the loaner tour, my first imipressions of the Audivinas received yesterday.

Audivina-01.jpg

Because I believe in the brain adapting to the sound, I have decided not to listen to other headphones during the two weeks of the loan, and only at the end to my headphones (Hifiman Ananda and Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire) to make comparisons in the final review. Furthermore, I plan to use them in the same way I use mine, listening to the same things I would listen to with them, in order to feel comfortable and -as far as time allows- adapted to their sound.

In these two days I have listened to Gregory Porter (Liquid Spirit), Madeleine Peiroux (The Blue Room and Careless Love), Stevie Wonder (Songs Are the Key of Life) John Eliot Gardiner, English Baroque Soloists and Monteverdi Choir (Bach, Cantatas volume 7) and Bernard Haitink and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (Beethoven, first and third symphonies). Always in CD quality or higher (from ripped CDs or Qobuz).

Functionally I am surprised by two things: being heavier than the Ananda, they are somewhat more comfortable, probably due to their lower pressure and the vertical rotation of the cups. Secondly, for being closed, they insulate little in both senses: the listener from ambient noise and those present in the room where the listener is. I would almost classify them as semi-closed,

The sound... difficult to describe precisely, considering that my brain is still "intoxicated" by my headphones, which have been with me for several years. I appreciate good and not so good things. The cleanliness (lack of distortion) and the soundstage, which is wide and accurately locates the sound sources, are positive aspects. The reduced bass-midrange response takes some of the body of the male voices (noticeable in Gregory Porter's voice, which also sounds slightly nasal, and especially the choir of the Bach cantatas sounds thin), and distances them from the listener. So far, their biggest flaw, but I still have a long way to go before I have a rough idea of what they sound like.

Finally, these are headphones that do not cause me fatigue when I listen to them for several hours. Good sign, isn't it?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #159 of 164
Hifiman Audivina 2 Week Impressions:
Good evening Audivina on-lookers and esteemed members of the Audivina tour. My 2 weeks are coming to an end and I will be shipping them out to their next listener tomorrow. I will send Hifiman tracking from UPS tomorrow.

I really enjoyed my 2 weeks with the Audivina. It isn't a perfect headphone by any stretch, but offers a pleasant tonality, and decent dynamics. I will not put any pictures or graphs into this review. First, I don't listen to graphs, and second they look exactly the same as every other picture since they are the exact same headphone that has made its way around the country.

System for Reviewing:
Matrix X2 Pure 10th Anniversary DAC and Streamer
CFA3 with External Power Supply
Eddie Current Aficionado - All NOS Tubes. RCA Single Plate 2A3s, Mullard Metal Base GZ-34 and a WE396a.
All cabling is Core Technology Diamond Linx Power Cable and XLR Interconnects. My RCAs are The Acoustic BBQ Full Rack.
2nd System - Meier Corda Soul - All in One using a Core Technology USBe perfect and a Silver Dragon USB cable out of my Roon Core.
Roon Labs running through both DACs.
Headphones for this review:
Hifiman Auidvina
ZMF Atrium Closed - Camphor Burl
Hifiman HEKv2 Non-Stealth

Packaging:
The Audivina comes in a nice portable case with 3 cables. A 1.5m 3.5mm single ended cable, a 1/4" 3m and a XLR 3m. While many do not like Hifiman cables, I find them to sound wonderful. I don't love their rubber tubing, but sonically I have never had any complaints with their cables and I believe they genuinely take the time to match the right wire with each headphone. For this small review I used only the XLR cable as all 3 of my amps have XLR outputs and it just makes things easier for me. I also own the HEKv2 non-stealth and the HE-5 Modded Code X. However, the headphone I spent the most time comparing to the Audivina was the ZMF Atrium Closed Back. They are closest enough in price, offer different driver types and both have beautiful woods cups. I thought they offered a very nice comparison being so different.

Comfort:
I am absolutely a Hifiman fanboy when it comes to comfort. Their headphones since switching to the HEK design ethos has been a welcome addition to their headphones. They fit my head perfectly, and feel like they disappear onto my oblong noggin. I just love the way they fit, seal and I find the pads to be more than adequate. I do wish they gave a 6ft XLR or 1/4" cable instead of 3m, but that is splitting hairs. Anytime I have bought an aftermarket cable for my Hifiman, it is because I want a shorter cable, not because I find the cable to be sonically inadequate.

Specs:
The Audivina claims a 20 ohm impedance and Sensitivity of 97db with a Frequency Response of 5hz-55khz and a weight of 470grams. As I stated above the 470 grams feels light and even and disappears on my head. I get a perfect seal, and I can wear them for hours with no issues of weight or fatigue. The stated frequency response goes well outside of human hearing. I am getting older and after a 1,000 concerts my hearing isn't what it used to be. However, I feel this headphone is a lot of fun and I don't find much missing by way of frequency. It isn't perfect and has some odd tuning choices, but overall the headphone is quite listenable.

As for efficiency, the Audivina is pretty easy to power. However, it definitely benefits from a desktop system and an amp with a reservoir of power. I will explain why in my sound impressions. Hint, has to do with the soundstage size...

Sound Impressions:
The first few things you realize when you start listening to the Audivina are the soundstage size, the amount of detail they are extracting and wonderful tonality. The soundstage is gigantic for a closed back headphone. It is gigantic for any type of headphone. However, I found the stage to be more left to right than front to back. Although, the stage is enormous and one of the Audivina's biggest achievements, it also causes some small problems with coherency in the tuning.

Bass:
The bass of the Audivina is mostly neutral. However, due to the size of the stage and the fact they are going for a concert hall experience, the bass feels turned down. I am by no means a basshead, but I am someone who locks onto the bass and it is extremely hard to do this on the Audivina. At a concert, the sound engineer will turn up the bass in order for it to push through the room and take its place in the mix driving the rhythm section. Because of the Audivina's stage size, the bass feels underwhelming. It doesn't bleed, but it is too low in the mix. Due to the stage size, you can add 3db at or below 100hz which pulls up the sub bass and accentuates the mid-bass without affecting the total amount of bass or bleeding into the midrange. It literally just fills up those cups and that stage with more without making it too prominent. Once I added 3db at 100hz, I now felt that I was in a concert hall. Before that the sound felt thin and put too much emphasis on the upper midrange and treble, where the tuning has the most oddities.

Midrange:
The midrange of the Audivina is pure Hifiman. I just love the way Hifiman tunes the midrange. Tonality/Timbre are spot on, there is plenty of information and articulation; yet it never feels overdone. It is without question the best part of the headphone, and has fantastic lateral definition and image specificity. There is a very clean entrance into the lower mids, and the sounds of bass drums, the crunch of a guitar, and the holographic nature of a swirling organ or piano is beautifully rendered. Due to the size of the stage, the vocals feel pushed back a bit, almost V shaped. But as I spent more time, I changed my mind and determined that the midrange if anything is slightly forward, not pushed back. It is the sheer size of the stage that makes you feel that vocals are pushed back. When you bring the bass up to where I feel it should be, the midrange sits perfectly and opens up beautifully like a flower in the spring.

Back to that reservoir of power... The Audivina takes extremely well to powerful amps with gobs of power on tap. Even though you need maybe a 1/4 of a watt to properly power the Audivina (I am guessing the exact amount), That reservoir of power does a neat thing with the stage of the Audivina. As you turn up the volume it first fills the stage up without it getting much louder. It fills out the sound. Once filled out, as you turn it up it will get louder at that time. However, I never got to that point. I loved being able to turn up the volume to tap into the reservoir of power from my CFA3, Corda Soul or Aficionado and find the midrange become more palpable, more energetic, and more dynamic. Especially with more complex passages where the sounds became more intentional and the tonality continued to improve. Bravo, Hifiman. This is a great way to build and tune a headphone.

Treble:
So, the Audivina has some interesting things going on in the treble. Most importantly, I never found the treble to be fatiguing. I don't tend to find Hifiman's headphones to ever be fatiguing. That being said, there are a few peaks and valleys, but mostly the treble is forward, but not overly so and lends to pleasant musicality. It is defnitely not a dark headphone, the treble is brighter than most closed backs, but never fatiguing and there is plenty of shimmer and zipp to give you a nice transient snap with great timbral accents. However, if you are sensitive to a peak around 7k with a dip right after the Audivina might not be for you. There are some inconsistencies, but I felt most of those inconsistencies were smoothed out by adjusting the bass to properly fill in the soundstage which then allowed the treble to even out.

Comparison:
The only comparison I really did was with my ZMF AC. They are very different headphones, but both I find to be enjoyable. The AC does not need a 3db boost at 100hz to lift the bass into its proper spot, but the Audivina's midrange is every bit as articulate and detailed as the AC. The AC being a high impedance dynamic needs power at different points and benefits from an amp with tonal color and faster slew rates. Whereas the Audivina benefits from linear stable power. I preferred the Audivina on my Corda Soul and CFA3, and the AC by a large margin on my Aficionado. However, the Corda Soul is a wizard with high impedance dynamics and the AC sounds absolutely sublime on the Corda Soul.

Which would I choose? The Atrium Closed. While I have really enjoyed the Audivina, the bass bugs me a bit and I don't like having to EQ headphones to bring them into balance. Some like to EQ to bring them into balance with their own preferences, I will only EQ when I perceive the tuning to need it so that I can hear the headphone properly. That being said, with 3db at 100hz, the Audivina gives the AC and pretty much anything else at that price range a run for the roses. However, I would still choose the AC every day of the week. It is my favorite closed back headphone right now and would take something special that I haven't yet heard to unseat it.

I did compare the Audivina to the HEKv2 briefly. For me it wasn't even close. The HEKv2 is one of my absolute favorite headphones. It is more subtle, open, detailed and resolving. It is faster and is tonally so sweet. I don't think it a fair comparison as the HEKV2 is head and shoulders a better headphone in my opinion. This is just one person's opinion and by no means does it take away from the Audivina. I just prefer the HEKv2 significantly. Same for my baby, my Code X. Which is the most tonally sweet headphone I have heard. While those drivers are 15 yrs old now, the Code X still holds up as a seminal headphone in my stable and the headphone by which I judge everything else by. It is the perfect tuning for my preferences and I will never be without my Code X. This has nothing to do with the Audivina and by no means am I comparing them. I wouldn't know where to begin. The Audivina is good enough to stand on its own.

Conclusion:
Hifiman has created a concert hall closed back that is also supposed to be for studio use. I am not sure that I would use it for studio use. But, I am not a sound engineer so I am not qualified to give an opinion. I can say that they have succeeded in creating a concert hall feeling and that the headphone's tonal strengths and overall staging gives the Audivina plenty of room for proper imaging and creates a very pleasant sound. I hope that this review was helpful for those thinking about buying an Audivina. As a EQ'd headphone I give it 2 big thumbs up. As a non-EQ'd headphone I would be more reserved and would say that it will be more for some than others, but still provides a compelling listen and is well worth the $2000 they are charging based on what is out in the market at that price point. I enjoyed it significantly more than the Fostex TH900, and if I needed another closed back would put it on my list for a longer audition.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #160 of 164
Hifiman Audivina 2 Week Impressions:
Good evening Audivina on-lookers and esteemed members of the Audivina tour. My 2 weeks are coming to an end and I will be shipping them out to their next listener tomorrow. I will send Hifiman tracking from UPS tomorrow.

I really enjoyed my 2 weeks with the Audivina. It isn't a perfect headphone by any stretch, but offers a pleasant tonality, and decent dynamics. I will not put any pictures or graphs into this review. First, I don't listen to graphs, and second they look exactly the same as every other picture since they are the exact same headphone that has made its way around the country.

System for Reviewing:
Matrix X2 Pure 10th Anniversary DAC and Streamer
CFA3 with External Power Supply
Eddie Current Aficionado - All NOS Tubes. RCA Single Plate 2A3s, Mullard Metal Base GS-34 and a WE396a.
All cabling is Core Technology Diamond Linx Power Cable and XLR Interconnects. My RCAs are The Acoustic BBQ Full Rack.
2nd System - Meier Corda Soul - All in One using a Core Technology USBe perfect and a Silver Dragon USB cable out of my Roon Core.
Roon Labs running through both DACs.
Headphones for this review:
Hifiman Auidvina
ZMF Atrium Closed - Camphor Burl
Hifiman HEKv2 Non-Stealth

Packaging:
The Audivina comes in a nice portable case with 3 cables. A 1.5m 3.5mm single ended cable, a 1/4" 3m and a XLR 3m. While many do not like Hifiman cables, I find them to sound wonderful. I don't love their rubber tubing, but sonically I have never had any complaints with their cables and I believe they genuinely take the time to match the right wire with each headphone. For this small review I used only the XLR cable as all 3 of my amps have XLR outputs and it just makes things easier for me. I also own the HEKv2 non-stealth and the HE-5 Modded Code X. However, the headphone I spent the most time comparing to the Audivina was the ZMF Atrium Closed Back. They are closest enough in price, offer different driver types and both have beautiful woods cups. I thought they offered a very nice comparison being so different.

Comfort:
I am absolutely a Hifiman fanboy when it comes to comfort. Their headphones since switching to the HEK design ethos has been a welcome addition to their headphones. They fit my head perfectly, and feel like they disappear onto my oblong noggin. I just love the way they fit, seal and I find the pads to be more than adequate. I do wish they gave a 6ft XLR or 1/4" cable instead of 3m, but that is splitting hairs. Anytime I have bought an aftermarket cable for my Hifiman, it is because I want a shorter cable, not because I find the cable to be sonically inadequate.

Specs:
The Audivina claims a 20 ohm impedance and Sensitivity of 97db with a Frequency Response of 5hz-55khz and a weight of 470grams. As I stated above the 470 grams feels light and even and disappears on my head. I get a perfect seal, and I can wear them for hours with no issues of weight or fatigue. The stated frequency response goes well outside of human hearing. I am getting older and after a 1,000 concerts my hearing isn't what it used to be. However, I feel this headphone is a lot of fun and I don't find much missing by way of frequency. It isn't perfect and has some odd tuning choices, but overall the headphone is quite listenable.

As for efficiency, the Audivina is pretty easy to power. However, it definitely benefits from a desktop system and an amp with a reservoir of power. I will explain why in my sound impressions. Hint, has to do with the soundstage size...

Sound Impressions:
The first few things you realize when you start listening to the Audivina are the soundstage size, the amount of detail they are extracting and wonderful tonality. The soundstage is gigantic for a closed back headphone. It is gigantic for any type of headphone. However, I found the stage to be more left to right than front to back. Although, the stage is enormous and one of the Audivina's biggest achievements, it also causes some small problems with coherency in the tuning.

Bass:
The bass of the Audivina is mostly neutral. However, due to the size of the stage and the fact they are going for a concert hall experience, the bass feels turned down. I am by no means a basshead, but I am someone who locks onto the bass and it is extremely hard to do this on the Audivina. At a concert, the sound engineer will turn up the bass in order for it to push through the room and take its place in the mix driving the rhythm section. Because of the Audivina's stage size, the bass feels underwhelming. It doesn't bleed, but it is too low in the mix. Due to the stage size, you can add 3db at or below 100hz which pulls up the sub bass and accentuates the mid-bass without affecting the total amount of bass or bleeding into the midrange. It literally just fills up those cups and that stage with more without making it too prominent. Once I added 3db at 100hz, I now felt that I was in a concert hall. Before that the sound felt thin and put too much emphasis on the upper midrange and treble, where the tuning has the most oddities.

Midrange:
The midrange of the Audivina is pure Hifiman. I just love the way Hifiman tunes the midrange. Tonality/Timbre are spot on, there is plenty of information and articulation; yet it never feels overdone. It is without question the best part of the headphone, and has fantastic lateral definition and image specificity. There is a very clean entrance into the lower mids, and the sounds of bass drums, the crunch of a guitar, and the holographic nature of a swirling organ or piano is beautifully rendered. Due to the size of the stage, the vocals feel pushed back a bit, almost V shaped. But as I spent more time, I changed my mind and determined that the midrange if anything is slightly forward, not pushed back. It is the sheer size of the stage that makes you feel that vocals are pushed back. When you bring the bass up to where I feel it should be, the midrange sits perfectly and opens up beautifully like a flower in the spring.

Back to that reservoir of power... The Audivina takes extremely well to powerful amps with gobs of power on tap. Even though you need maybe a 1/4 of a watt to properly power the Audivina (I am guessing the exact amount), That reservoir of power does a neat thing with the stage of the Audivina. As you turn up the volume it first fills the stage up without it getting much louder. It fills out the sound. Once filled out, as you turn it up it will get louder at that time. However, I never got to that point. I loved being able to turn up the volume to tap into the reservoir of power from my CFA3, Corda Soul or Aficionado and find the midrange become more palpable, more energetic, and more dynamic. Especially with more complex passages where the sounds became more intentional and the tonality continued to improve. Bravo, Hifiman. This is a great way to build and tune a headphone.

Treble:
So, the Audivina has some interesting things going on in the treble. Most importantly, I never found the treble to be fatiguing. I don't tend to find Hifiman's headphones to ever be fatiguing. That being said, there are a few peaks and valleys, but mostly the treble is forward, but not overly so and lends to pleasant musicality. It is defnitely not a dark headphone, the treble is brighter than most closed backs, but never fatiguing and there is plenty of shimmer and zipp to give you a nice transient snap with great timbral accents. However, if you are sensitive to a peak around 7k with a dip right after the Audivina might not be for you. There are some inconsistencies, but I felt most of those inconsistencies were smoothed out by adjusting the bass to properly fill in the soundstage which then allowed the treble to even out.

Comparison:
The only comparison I really did was with my ZMF AC. They are very different headphones, but both I find to be enjoyable. The AC does not need a 3db boost at 100hz to lift the bass into its proper spot, but the Audivina's midrange is every bit as articulate and detailed as the AC. The AC being a high impedance dynamic needs power at different points and benefits from an amp with tonal color and faster slew rates. Whereas the Audivina benefits from linear stable power. I preferred the Audivina on my Corda Soul and CFA3, and the AC by a large margin on my Aficionado. However, the Corda Soul is a wizard with high impedance dynamics and the AC sounds absolutely sublime on the Corda Soul.

Which would I choose? The Atrium Closed. While I have really enjoyed the Audivina, the bass bugs me a bit and I don't like having to EQ headphones to bring them into balance. Some like to EQ to bring them into balance with their own preferences, I will only EQ when I perceive the tuning to need it so that I can hear the headphone properly. That being said, with 3db at 100hz, the Audivina gives the AC and pretty much anything else at that price range a run for the roses. However, I would still choose the AC every day of the week. It is my favorite closed back headphone right now and would take something special that I haven't yet heard to unseat it.

I did compare the Audivina to the HEKv2 briefly. For me it wasn't even close. The HEKv2 is one of my absolute favorite headphones. It is more subtle, open, detailed and resolving. It is faster and is tonally so sweet. I don't think it a fair comparison as the HEKV2 is head and shoulders a better headphone in my opinion. This is just one person's opinion and by no means does it take away from the Audivina. I just prefer the HEKv2 significantly. Same for my baby, my Code X. Which is the most tonally sweet headphone I have heard. While those drivers are 15 yrs old now, the Code X still holds up as a seminal headphone in my stable and the headphone by which I judge everything else by. It is the perfect tuning for my preferences and I will never be without my Code X. This has nothing to do with the Audivina and by no means am I comparing them. I wouldn't know where to begin. The Audivina is good enough to stand on its own.

Conclusion:
Hifiman has created a concert hall closed back that is also supposed to be for studio use. I am not sure that I would use it for studio use. But, I am not a sound engineer so I am not qualified to give an opinion. I can say that they have succeeded in creating a concert hall feeling and that the headphone's tonal strengths and overall staging gives the Audivina plenty of room for proper imaging and creates a very pleasant sound. I hope that this review was helpful for those thinking about buying an Audivina. As a EQ'd headphone I give it 2 big thumbs up. As a non-EQ'd headphone I would be more reserved and would say that it will be more for some than others, but still provides a compelling listen and is well worth the $2000 they are charging based on what is out in the market at that price point. I enjoyed it significantly more than the Fostex TH900, and if I needed another closed back would put it on my list for a longer audition.

Thank you for reading!
Good job and a great read as usual my friend!!

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #161 of 164
Sep 30, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #162 of 164
Sep 30, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #163 of 164
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #164 of 164
Hifiman Audivina review

Preliminary to the preliminaries.

Everything said here is a simple opinion of someone who is not a professional reviewer, sound professional or musician. I am a simple amateur who enjoys his love of music and listening to it as much as possible. I thank Hifiman for giving me the opportunity to get to know the Audivina in depth.

Audivina 1.jpg

Preliminaries.

I am 64 years old, with no loss of hearing sensitivity according to my regular medical audiometries and with slight tinnitus. I am able to detect sounds between 25 and 12,000 Hz. My head size is slightly above average and my ears are of normal size. Peak listening volume is 90 dB for classical and 80 dB for all other genres.

Audivina 2.jpg

I got into listening to music and hi-fi when I was a teenager. Since 2006 I listen almost always with headphones, having used, among others, Stax SR-303s with SRM-313 amplifier, various IEMs, PSB M4U1s and Denon AH-D7200s. I currently use the Hifiman Ananda 2020 with EachDIY copper OCC cable and the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire with Forza Audioworks copper HPC MK2 cable, with two different chains:

PC (Foobar2000 and Qobuz) > USB cable > Fiio K5 Pro (DAC and headphone amplifier).

iPhone > Apple Lightning to USB adapter > USB cable > DAC Topping D30 Pro > headphone amplifier Topping A30 Pro

Both amplifiers are unbalanced.

My music sources are FLAC 16/44.1 files from ripping my CD collection, high definition FLAC purchased from different music shops (HDTracks, Qobuz) and the streaming service Qobuz, in CD quality and above.

I listen to an average of 2-3 hours a day and the music genres are classical (50%) and the rest of the time a mix of rock, pop, jazz, acoustic, blues, Americana, electronica and hip-hop

Packaging and accessories.

Very simple cardboard box with a semi-rigid bag inside. Includes three cables, with 3.5 mm (1.5 m), 6.35 mm (3 m) and 4-pin XLR (3 m) piugs. The cables have a rubber finish that doesn't transmit noise when rubbed against clothing (zero microphonics), have some shape memory and stick easily to other objects, so care must be taken to avoid snagging them with the resulting tugging. What I like least are the lengths, my favourite is 2m.

Appearance, weight, ergonomics and specifications.

Moderately luxurious finish in metal and wood, with synthetic leather and microfibre pads. The cups are big, both in terms of their oval shape and thickness, have horizontal and vertical movement and exert moderate to medium pressure on the head. Despite the weight (almost half a kilo), the headphones are quite comfortable, although after a couple of hours they start to feel uncomfortable, but nothing that can't be solved by taking then off for a short break.

Audivina 3.jpg

Like most of the brand's headphones, it uses planar magnetic transducers, in this case with an impedance of 20 Ohms and a sensitivity of 97 dB/mW, which makes it suitable for most desktop headphone amplifiers, which nowadays deliver at least 1 watt from 16 to 32 Ohms. Comparing its efficiency with the headphones I use regularly, the Audivina falls between the more efficient Ananda (103 dB/mW and 25 Ohms) and the less efficient Aeon 2 (83 dB/mW and 13 Ohms). They are not problematic headphones to amplify; almost any desktop amplifier and quite a few portable DAPs are capable of driving them.

Isolation.

The purpose of closed headphones is twofold: to isolate the listener from external noise and to prevent the sound produced from leaking into the surrounding environment. I was immediately struck by how little the Audivina's closed cups isolate, so I decided to measure the amount of sound that is emitted to the outside when listening with them. To do this test, I used a white noise generator, flitted from 10,000 Hz with a low-pass filter with Q = 0.5 and measured with a hand-held sound level meter, A-weighting and minimum sensitivity of 30 dB. For reference, I compared the result with my two headphones, the open-cups Ananda and the closed-cups Aeon 2 Noire.

Sound Source: White noise, listening level 80 dBA.

The sound transmitted to the outside, measured at a distance of one metre, is:
  • Ananda: 56 dBA
  • Audivina: 39.5 dBA
  • Aeon 2 Noire: <30 dBA (I do not have the exact value because the sound level meter does not detect sounds below 30 dBA, but a reasonable estimate would be 25 dBA, since at half a metre you get 31 dBA and every time you double the distance, the sound pressure is reduced by 6 dB).

Regardless of the measurements, which place the Audivina as semi-closed headphone even though their cups are closed, when using it you have to take almost the same precautions as with open headphones, namely to listen in as quiet an environment as possible and without anyone close enough to be disturbed by what you are listening to. So what is the purpose of making closed headphones with such poor isolation capabilities? Hifiman has a great range of planar magnetic open headphones with excellent sound performance, so I don't understand the need for closed headphones that don't fully deliver the biggest advantage of this design: isolation from the environment.

Audivina 5.jpg

Sound characteristics.

Like all headphones, it has its strengths and weaknesses.

Audivina 4.jpg

Starting with the weak points, I would highlight the reproduction of voices, especially male voices, as there is some nasality and dryness, and a loss of volume in the low register, which moves them back in the soundstage. Nasality and dryness are also noticeable in some female voices, but to a lesser extent. These defects depend very much on the recording, being noticeable in some and almost negligible in others. The “brain burning” I underwent for the test (ten days and 30 hours of listening without using other headphones) reduced its importance, to the point that I only occasionally noticed it slightly. Other instruments are also affected, such as saxophone or piano.

The other weak point, although less pronounced than the previous one, is a cavernous touch in the low register that I only noticed on one record, whose mixing had clearly accentuated low frequencies.

Its virtues are many and remarkable. I will start with the bass; as a listener of classical, rock, pop, jazz, jazz, Americana, etc., I've never found headphones whose bass sounded at the right volume for all types of music. Either they were too much for classical and adequate for the rest, or it was just the other way around. Until the Audivina, which brings the bass to the level closest to what I consider to be the optimum level to act as an all-rounder in almost all genres of music. The bass quality is quite good, sounding smooth, clean and with great definition; just the opposite of the single note bass.

Another obvious strength is its soundstage, but first I must warn that when I listen with headphones, I feel the sound on a plane parallel to my eyes and behind them. It is a two-dimensional perception, sometimes extending out of my head but without a sense of three-dimensionality in front of me. Instead, I perceive the depth of the soundstage from the relative volume of the different sound sources and their amount of reverberation. In the case of the Audivina, the lateral extension is high and the sounds easily exceed the limits of my head, but what stands out most is the precision in the placement of the sound sources (voices and instruments), their definition and the sensation of space among them, which is especially noticeable in orchestral music, operas or oratorios.

Finally, the absence of sibilance unless it is present in the recording, the high resolution and the level of detail should be noted.

Comparison with the Ananda and the Aeon 2 noire.

I have chosen a series of recordings to identify the differences between the Audivina and my two current headphones.

Ariodante, Händel, Alan Curtis, Il Complesso Barocco (FLAC file, 16/44,1)
Ariodante.jpg

Track: Allegro, Coro: Si Godete Al Vostro Amor

Audivina: good rendering of the sound of the instruments, the space between them and the acoustics of the hall; the choir sounds somewhat nasal and slightly lacking in body, the female solo voices somewhat nasal and placed backward

Aeon 2 Noire: somewhat dark sound of the instruments, room acoustics not very perceptible, tone slightly lacking in treble. Soloists more present than with the Audivina, but with slight sibilance.

Ananda: instruments somewhat lacking in bass, ample space but some nuances of the hall acoustics are lost. The choir balanced and very convincing. Both choir and soloists closer than with the other headphones, and some sibilance in the soloists.

Track: Aria Con l’ali di costanza.

Audivina: large orchestral scene with balanced and neutral instrumental sound, good bass presence. The soloist (mezzo) is closer and more integrated with the orchestra than in the Ananda, the voice has traces of dryness and nasality.

Aeon 2 Noire: Wide scene without depth, soloist voice prominent over the orchestra, with natural timbre but somewhat muffled treble. Orchestra with slight excess in the bass.

Ananda: natural and balanced soloist's voice, stands out from the orchestra. Orchestra with some excess in the treble (violins) and slight lack of bass. The scene is wide and precise.

Mahler, Seventh Symphony, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas (Qobuz 24/96)
Mahler 7 Michael Tilson Thomas San Francisco Symphony.png

Track: V. Rondo – Finale

Audivina: balanced tonality, perfectly integrated bass (superb timpani). Good string and woodwind sonority, brass somewhat lacking in body. A lot of detail and separation of instruments. Scene far away, as if you were sitting towards the end of the auditorium, wide but shallow. Moderate dynamics.

Aeon 2 Noire: bright tonality with somewhat recessed mids but stifled by excessive bass, good level of detail and separation of instruments. Scene congested in the tutti.

Ananda: the most brilliant restitution of the three, with a convincing timbre except for the double basses and the timpani, which are a bit sparse and hollow. Wide stage and close to the orchestra (the listener is in the first third of the hall). The orchestra sounds cohesive, with a medium level of detail and high dynamics. At some (few) moments the treble shows traces of aggressiveness.

Beethoven, the symphonies. Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (FLAC file 16/44,1)
Beethoven the symphonies Haitink.jpg

Track: Seventh Symphony, Allegretto

Audivina: somewhat unbalanced tonality, slightly dark for the double basses and timpani and bright for the violins. The orchestra seems rather separated from the listener, as if the listener were at the back of the auditorium. Somewhat sparse dynamics, due to the effect of the distant stage. Laterally wide stage, instruments well defined and positioned. The acoustics of the hall are moderately perceptible.

Aeon 2 Noire: dark tonality, especially with bass-overloaded cellos, double basses and timpani, moderately wide and deep soundstage, good separation between instruments, damped room acoustics.

Ananda: neutral tonality, brass and woodwind more present than in the rest. Timpani sound a bit muffled and double basses slightly hollow. Listener located towards the middle of the hall. Acoustics of the hall well restored. Good separation between instruments and high dynamics. The most vivid and truthful reproduction of the three.

Mozart, requiem mass. Jordi Savall, La Capella Reial de Catalunya, Le Concert des Nations (FLAC file 16/44,1)
Mozart Requiem Savall.jpg

Tracks: Dies irae, Tuba mirum, Rex tremendae

Audivina: the tone of the chorus is unnatural, rough, lacking in body and placed far behind the orchestra. Soloists well placed, male voices natural but somewhat lacking in body, female voices natural and balanced. Correct tonality of the instruments, although the strings sound dry. Scene not very wide but deep. Good rendition of the room acoustics.

Aeon 2 Noire: correct tonality of the choir, slightly distant from the orchestra and with a point of harshness. Orchestra excellently presented, full of details and with the instruments easy to locate. The timpani stand out, full of life. The male soloists sound natural, as do the female ones, although they show traces of sibilance. Small soundstage, but balanced between width and depth.

Ananda: somewhat bright and slightly hollow bass tone for the orchestra, but full of life and energy. The choir is placed close behind the orchestra, highlighting the details of the individual voices. Very wide scene, both in width and depth. Great restitution of the acoustics of the hall, highlighting the different levels of reverberation depending on the distance from the sound source. Soloists close to the listener, with correct and natural tonality, except for traces of sibilance.

Gregory Porter, Liquid Spirit (FLAC file 24/96)
Gregory Porter Liquid Spirit.jpg

Tracks: Brown Grass, Water Under the Bridge

Audivina: voice lacking body and slight nasality as well as harshness in some consonants. Somewhat dry piano on "Water Under the Bridge". Spectacular bass rendition and lots of drum detail on "Brown Grass". Small scene, with vocals not as close to the listener as on the other headphones.

Aeon 2 Noire: balanced, natural and cohesive voice with a little less harshness in the consonants than on the other headphones, but with a slightly worse high register than on the Ananda. The piano sounds somewhat lacking in treble on "Water Under the Bridge". Scene a little more intimate than with the Ananda. Excellent bass, with a lot of slam, perhaps a little above its neutral level.

Ananda: natural and balanced voice in all registers, only objectionable a slight accentuation of the s's and slight roughness in some consonants. Bass and drums impeccable, the piano slightly hollow in the low notes in "Water Under the Bridge". Alto saxophone sounds a bit dry. Intimate scene, voice in the foreground and instruments in close proximity, studio sound with little reverb except for the voice.

Madeleine Peyroux, Careless Love (Qobuz 16/44,1)
Madeleine Peiyroux Careless Love .png

Tracks: Don’t Wait Too Long, J’ai deux amours

Audivina: there is some distance between Madeleine Peiroux's voice and the listener, as well as some air between her and the bass. The voice is presented naturally and with an abundance of detail, as are the rest of the instruments. No scene, on this all three headphones agree. Distortion is heard at some points in the recording.

Aeon 2 Noire: presentation very close to the listener, practically no scene. Madeleine Peyroux's voice sounds natural, cohesive, though somewhat drowned out by the instruments on "Don't Wait Too Long". She stands out a little more in "J'ai deux amours", where the accompaniment is more balanced and the piano brings some freshness. The bass level is high, but not annoying, although at times it sounds distorted.

Ananda: excellent rendition of the voice, the most natural of the three. The bass loses some body against the Aeon 2 Noire, which gives some space to the rest of the instruments in "Don't Wait Too Long", but it doesn't get a sense of scene, due to an "in your face" mix. In "J'ai deux amours" the voice is so close that I feel placed practically inside her throat. As in the other cases, some distorted passages are perceived.

Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti (Flac file 16/44,1)
Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti.jpg

Tracks: In My Time of Dying, Trampled Under Foot

Audivina: lots of energy in the high registers of the drums (cymbals, snares), wide soundstage, good separation of instruments and lots of detail, considering when it was recorded. Robert Plant's voice, though somewhat thin, sounds convincing and well separated from the rest, with traces of sibilance. It can be heard at a high volume without being annoying or shrill. On "In my Time of Dying" the scene is surprisingly wide, although it loses a bit of the garage sound that this album has; the garage is bigger than expected. The voice here is a little thinner than on "In my Time of Dying". Instrument separation is excellent. A little more bass would be appreciated, but I blame the recording more than the headphones.

Aeon 2 Noire: the drums maintain a good balance between low and high frequencies, the guitars sound forward throughout "In my Time of Dying", the voice natural and separated from the rest, with slight traces of sibilance, but a bit behind the guitars, which stand out from the rest in this song. The scene is intimate but coherent; it gives the sensation of listening to the band just a few metres away. Slightly less dynamic than with Audivina. "Trampled Under Foot" is not as well rounded as the previous song, with a scene that has a gap in the middle. The low frequencies are more present than on the rest of the headphones, which is welcome in a recording with little bass. Some harshness appears at high listening volume, which can be annoying.

Ananda: The beginning of "In my Time of Dying" places the drums and guitars at the same level, with a slight excess of treble. The voice is natural, truthful, barely sibilant and close to the listener, although, as with Audivina, it lacks some body. Listening at high volume is penalised by a harshness in the guitars. The scene is very wide horizontally but not deep, as if the band members, though close to the listener, are separated from each other. It's like a wide, shallow garage. "Trampled Under Foot" is surprising for the restitution of the vocals, somewhat better than on the other two headphones, and a soundstage without the central hollowness seen on the Aeon. The keyboards sound a little less faithful than in the Audivina, but with more punch.

Fangoria, El extraño viaje (Qobuz 16/44,1)
Fangoria El extraño viaje.png

Tracks: Sin Perdón, Estés donde estés.

Audivina: the lower part of the frequency spectrum sounds somewhat hollow and with a lot of definition, with a smooth and precise bass line in "Sin perdón". Olvido Alaska's voice is somewhat lacking in the lower register, expanding to the sides and slightly separated from the listener. The synthesizers also suffer from a lack of body. The bass on "Estés donde estés" sounds powerful and precise, with a little less energy in the lower frequencies. There is a bit more soundstage but it doesn't come across as natural, the vocals and some sounds expand to the sides while the rhythm line is centered and very close to the listener.

Aeon 2 Noire: spectacular rhythm line, bass above neutrality works very well with this style of music. The EQ of the recording accentuates the treble, but it doesn't become harsh or squeaky. The vocals are presented with plenty of body and presence, which prevents them from getting lost in a distinctly V-shaped production. The scene is barely there, as is often the case in electronic music.

Ananda: a surprise in the scene, which integrates the rhythm line with the rest of the instruments and the voice. Not big, but at least coherent. The bass is a little lean, but elegant. The treble volume is a bit excessive and unbalances the tonality making it slightly bright. The voice is a bit more natural and closer than on Audivina and also a bit too bright.

Donald Fagen, Kamakiriad (Qobuz 24/96)
Donald Fagen Kamakiriad.png

Tracks: Springtime, On the Dunes.

Audivina: in "Springtime" the voice is thin and somewhat far from the listener. This lack of body rubs off on the guitar and drums. The result is a certain disorganisation of the whole that makes it less attractive to listen to. Does the result improve in "On the Dunes"? Well, yes, all it took was a voice more present in the mix for it to take on body and move forward, which, together with a masterfully rendered bass line, achieves the cohesion that was missing in "Springtime". Audivina are temperamental and sensitive to the way the music is recorded and produced.

Aeon 2 Noire: the funky touch is felt on "Springtime", thanks to bass and drums with just the right amount of precision, detail and punch. The voice, although slightly behind, sounds round, natural and believable. The rest of the sonic elements fit well in an intimate but not cramped setting. "On the Dunes" suffers from a slight excess of bass in the rhythm line and, albeit slightly, in Donald Fagen's voice, which is corrected by lowering the volume a little.

Ananda: delightful sound on the quiet ballad "On the Dunes", everything in its place, right down to the saxophone playing in the background, except for the piano, which lacks a bit of body. The scene has just the right amount of breadth and depth to be perceived as a harmonious whole. A little more energy in the bass drums would be desirable. The funky rhythm in "Springtime" is smooth, full of detail and deserving a little more power. The voice is convincing, natural and well placed in the soundstage.

Conclusion.

The Audivina is a headphone that can produce any sensation but indifference. Master in bass, soundstage, level of detail and sound cleanliness, weak in vocals and middle notes of some instruments such as piano, probably due to a non-linear frequency response in the mids. It has an nice-looking and well-made finish, and is quite comfortable when in use for several hours at a time. All in all, I think it needs the right listener to fall in love with it to provide him many hours of listening pleasure. Classical music, especially large orchestral masses, and recordings that place the voice close to the listener are their best terrain, provided they have good dynamics and a neutral tonal response.

Attachments

• Audivina 4.jpg
    Audivina 4.jpg
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back