HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #63 of 11,884
We need more impressions!

+1 I really want to know how exactly these differ from the HEKv2. Someone indicated they were less laid back but we need confirmation from a longer review in a quiet setting

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #64 of 11,884
Currently testing the Arya. I don't have any other hifiman headphones unfortunately my early impressions out of an iDSD Micro BL are very positive.

Clean, surprisingly powerful, textured bass, with excellent extension, oodles of detail and resolution, expansive soundstage. Easy to enjoy FR. Very comfortable.

I think these are going to be very popular.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #65 of 11,884
Currently testing the Arya. I don't have any other hifiman headphones unfortunately my early impressions out of an iDSD Micro BL are very positive.

Clean, surprisingly powerful, textured bass, with excellent extension, oodles of detail and resolution, expansive soundstage. Easy to enjoy FR. Very comfortable.

Let us know if you find them bright or sibilant. It would also be helpful to know what a few of your favorite headphones are so we know what kind of sound signature you prefer.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #66 of 11,884

Let us know if you find them bright or sibilant. It would also be helpful to know what a few of your favorite headphones are so we know what kind of sound signature you prefer.

+1

Especially comparisons to the HEKv2, Audeze LCD-X/3/4 as Mr. Speakers Ether Flow if you can.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #67 of 11,884

Unfortunately, many of the high end headphones I have on me are newer models and I generally prefer closed cans. Focal Elegia, Denon D9200, Sennheiser HD820.

That said, I also have the Focal Clear and Utopia, so those should provide a more popular reference point. Also have the Meze Neos.

Sorry, know it's not the most typical comparisons. Have somewhat recently jumped back into the world of hi-fi headphones full force, but have some listening to catch up on.

For reference, I consider the Focal Clears to be the closest to neutral among the headphones I have. The Utopias are slightly bright. The HD820 are pretty neutral too, but they have an unusual FR that makes them sound pretty dry despite strong bass and not-too-strong treble.

I haven't done too many direct comparisons, but the Arya, to me, is rather similar to the clear in tuning overall, but just slightly warmer. It depends on the track, but Bass is a bit stronger and extended than the clears, a treble very similar but maybe a bit tamer. Those huge drivers are able to move a ton of air, and you can really feel the sub-bass on tracks that dare dip to 20hz and below.

On the other hand, it has a wider soundstage and I think it is the more resolving headphone, so it doesn't feel more congested for that extra warmth.

I think that their neutrality with a small bass boost and big soundstage makes them great with pretty much every genre.

Certainly not sibilant or bright IMO. Very smooth treble - actually personally wish they had a teensy bit more energy there. But I tend to gravitate towards more V shaped cans. All the sparkle is there.

Overall: very linear and neutral overall, but tending towards warmth. I can see that varying slightly depending on your reference for "neutral". But it's very hard to imagine anyone considering them significantly bright, and definitely not sibilant.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #68 of 11,884
Unfortunately, many of the high end headphones I have on me are newer models and I generally prefer closed cans. Focal Elegia, Denon D9200, Sennheiser HD820.

That said, I also have the Focal Clear and Utopia, so those should provide a more popular reference point. Also have the Meze Neos.

Sorry, know it's not the most typical comparisons. Have somewhat recently jumped back into the world of hi-fi headphones full force, but have some listening to catch up on.

For reference, I consider the Focal Clears to be the closest to neutral among the headphones I have. The Utopias are slightly bright. The HD820 are pretty neutral too, but they have an unusual FR that makes them sound pretty dry despite strong bass and not-too-strong treble.

I haven't done too many direct comparisons, but the Arya, to me, is rather similar to the clear in tuning overall, but just slightly warmer. It depends on the track, but Bass is a bit stronger and extended than the clears, a treble very similar but maybe a bit tamer. Those huge drivers are able to move a ton of air, and you can really feel the sub-bass on tracks that dare dip to 20hz and below.

On the other hand, it has a wider soundstage and I think it is the more resolving headphone, so it doesn't feel more congested for that extra warmth.

I think that their neutrality with a small bass boost and big soundstage makes them great with pretty much every genre.

Certainly not sibilant or bright IMO. Very smooth treble - actually personally wish they had a teensy bit more energy there. But I tend to gravitate towards more V shaped cans. All the sparkle is there.

Overall: very linear and neutral overall, but tending towards warmth. I can see that varying slightly depending on your reference for "neutral". But it's very hard to imagine anyone considering them significantly bright, and definitely not sibilant.

I have no idea why you are apologizing, that was a perfect write up and comparison. You just peaked my interest in the Arya. It sounds like they may actually be the HEK or very close to the HEK but for half the price.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #69 of 11,884
Did I read that right? Warm? I never thought HEK was a warm headphone or meaty. I've read around that Araya has HEK drivers in it. Also read that he applied aspect of the Susvara driver tech to the HEKse? I don't know if they both are equivalent driver tech or just share partially. He must be shifting the tech downward by putting out Araya with HEK drivers.

I'd like to see some measurement comparison between Araya and HEK V2 to get something outside impressions.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #70 of 11,884
Did I read that right? Warm? I never thought HEK was a warm headphone or meaty. I've read around that Araya has HEK drivers in it.

I'd like to see some measurement comparison between Araya and HEK V2 to get something outside impressions.

Depends on what you’re comparing it too. I went from the 800S to the HEK V2 and it was most definitely warmer. But it would sound lean compared to the Final D8000 or pretty much any Audeze.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #71 of 11,884
I have no idea why you are apologizing, that was a perfect write up and comparison. You just peaked my interest in the Arya. It sounds like they may actually be the HEK or very close to the HEK but for half the price.

FWIW, I'd take these over the utopia in a heartbeat. Not as

Thanks! FWIW, I've only had it for a few days, but I think I'd take these in a heartbeat over the Clears or Utopia. Granted, I'm not as crazy about the Utopia as some people, but I do quite like the clear.

The Arya has a lot of what I like about the Clear, with better bass, a bigger soundstage, and I think more resolution so far. The clears are a bit more dynamic though, more energetic and intimate.

Did I read that right? Warm? I never thought HEK was a warm headphone or meaty. I've read around that Araya has HEK drivers in it. Also read that he applied aspect of the Susvara driver tech to the HEKse? I don't know if they both are equivalent driver tech or just share partially. He must be shifting the tech downward by putting out Araya with HEK drivers.

Well, again, "slightly" warm =] As I said at the end, its close enough to neutral that it depends on what your reference for neutral is. But if there were no such thing as neutral, and I had to choose between bright and warm, I'd choose warm.

Depends on what you’re comparing it too. I went from the 800S to the HEK V2 and it was most definitely warmer. But it would sound lean compared to the Final D8000 or pretty much any Audeze.

Yep, I'd consider these warmer than the HD800S, which I'm very familiar with and had a good listen to again a couple of weeks ago. But that's mainly because I consider the hd800S slightly bass light.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #72 of 11,884

No need for the apologies! Excellent impressions for all of us hungry head-fi fools.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #73 of 11,884
FWIW, I'd take these over the utopia in a heartbeat. Not as

Thanks! FWIW, I've only had it for a few days, but I think I'd take these in a heartbeat over the Clears or Utopia. Granted, I'm not as crazy about the Utopia as some people, but I do quite like the clear.

The Arya has a lot of what I like about the Clear, with better bass, a bigger soundstage, and I think more resolution so far. The clears are a bit more dynamic though, more energetic and intimate.

Well, again, "slightly" warm =] As I said at the end, its close enough to neutral that it depends on what your reference for neutral is. But if there were no such thing as neutral, and I had to choose between bright and warm, I'd choose warm.

Yep, I'd consider these warmer than the HD800S, which I'm very familiar with and had a good listen to again a couple of weeks ago. But that's mainly because I consider the hd800S slightly bass light.
just for some additional clarity. When you warm are you referring to the shape of the mids (e.g lift in midbass to low mids) or the amount of treble energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back