HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #346 of 11,884
I agree completely with @franz12 on the secondary markets bringing stupendous amounts of value to consumers. If you're buying new, you're either dying to have them now, really want a warranty, or just don't care. None of these things are bad but for those who gripe about prices and really want to get cheap components, you can't go wrong with /r/AVExchange and Headfi's fantastic For Sale forum area.

For me, I'm waiting a little longer to snag some Arya's from anyone who's selling them. Hopefully get a nice little discount. If Hifiman goes and has a really great sale, I'd definitely jump on it depending. Like seeing a 30%+ discount from retail before I buy, depending on newness and other factors.

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #347 of 11,884
I could never imagine paying $3,000 for the HE-1000 V2.. I got mine for $1,699.00 with a free $600 balanced Wywires cable.

Then again, when I started this hobby I thought that paying $150 for an HD 598 was a lot.

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #348 of 11,884
I agree completely with @franz12 on the secondary markets bringing stupendous amounts of value to consumers. If you're buying new, you're either dying to have them now, really want a warranty, or just don't care. None of these things are bad but for those who gripe about prices and really want to get cheap components, you can't go wrong with /r/AVExchange and Headfi's fantastic For Sale forum area.

For me, I'm waiting a little longer to snag some Arya's from anyone who's selling them. Hopefully get a nice little discount. If Hifiman goes and has a really great sale, I'd definitely jump on it depending. Like seeing a 30%+ discount from retail before I buy, depending on newness and other factors.
Well either the Sundara isn't selling well or they are about to replace it, because Hifiman are running a 30% off sale on those. Despite that I am returning my set.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #349 of 11,884

Yes, don't need to hurry. So many products are being introduced in a short time span. An increment in performance is marginal.
I had a chance to compare many high end headphones recently, including Utopia, Clear, Ether 2, LCD4, D8000, Empyrean. I don't think one is completely upgrade from another. Beyond some levels, one is sort of side grade from another. I even think that Empyrean sold at 3k is a side grade from Clear which was sold at 0.8k recently. Don't need to rush.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #352 of 11,884
I think the difference from 2 years ago is that Hifiman has seen the feedback on their pricing. They knew they were pricing things too high. With the new releases, I think their pricing is definitely more in line with the competition.

Not really true. Only 30% right. See the price of HEKSE. Its price is on the upward trend. It is 3.5k.

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #354 of 11,884
I think the difference from 2 years ago is that Hifiman has seen the feedback on their pricing. They knew they were pricing things too high. With the new releases, I think their pricing is definitely more in line with the competition.
Well with that reduction in price may mean a reduction in build quality too. Like the Arya. It seems like a cheaper built HEK. You get the sound but not the previous build quality. From a company that is already known for their bad QC!

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #355 of 11,884
Well with that reduction in price may mean a reduction in build quality too. Like the Arya. It seems like a cheaper built HEK. You get the sound but not the previous build quality. From a company that is already known for their bad QC!

They do sound similar but they’re still not exactly the same. The Arya has a newer magnet structure and allegedly, even thinner drivers.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #356 of 11,884
They do sound similar but they’re still not exactly the same. The Arya has a newer magnet structure and allegedly, even thinner drivers.

So what did you ultimately think about the Arya and why did you sell yours so fast?

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #359 of 11,884
So what did you ultimately think about the Arya and why did you sell yours so fast?

The Arya are great. They sound very similar to the HEK V1. I liked everything about them except that the treble was slightly too bright for me on some tracks. The Arya are basically a more detailed HEX V2. You can tell they’re both Hifiman, as all the upper end Hifiman share a similar house sound. Because of what you get for their cost, they might be the best purchase of the entire line right now. The HEK V2 doesn’t sound that different, especially not for an extra $1500. I’d say they’re worth the upgrade from the HEX V2 and Ananda because of the higher resolution and greater detail they bring.

HOWEVER, if you’re after the smoothest and least offensive Hifiman headphone on the market, then stick with the HEX V2. For that type of sound, Hifiman has no rival to them.

But ultimately the reason I sold them is because I finally got a chance to get the Meze Empyrean. Anybody who has been on Head Fi for a while knows I’ve been waiting for them for over a year. Unfortunately, America was the last country that they shipped to, and their release was delayed by almost 6 months. So I’ve really just been experimenting and trying out different headphones to bide my time. But they’ve finally arrived in the US. so I had to get them. I sold all of my current gear to purchase them. I sold my HEX V2, HEK V2, Arya, LCD 3 Fazor, and returned my Ether 2.

And if FedEx doesn’t fail me, they should be here this Saturday.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #360 of 11,884
The Arya are great. They sound very similar to the HEK V1. I liked everything about them except that the treble was slightly too bright for me on some tracks. The Arya are basically a more detailed HEX V2. You can tell they’re both Hifiman, as all the upper end Hifiman share a similar house sound. Because of what you get for their cost, they might be the best purchase of the entire line right now. The HEK V2 doesn’t sound that different, especially not for an extra $1500. I’d say they’re worth the upgrade from the HEX V2 and Ananda because of the higher resolution and greater detail they bring.

HOWEVER, if you’re after the smoothest and least offensive Hifiman headphone on the market, then stick with the HEX V2. For that type of sound, Hifiman has no rival to them.

But ultimately the reason I sold them is because I finally got a chance to get the Meze Empyrean. Anybody who has been on Head Fi for a while knows I’ve been waiting for them for over a year. Unfortunately, America was the last country that they shipped to, and their release was delayed by almost 6 months. So I’ve really just been experimenting and trying out different headphones to bide my time. But they’ve finally arrived in the US. so I had to get them. I sold all of my current gear to purchase them. I sold my HEX V2, HEK V2, Arya, LCD 3 Fazor, and returned my Ether 2.

And if FedEx doesn’t fail me, they should be here this Saturday.

Congrats on the Meze, do enjoy them, especially after over a year wait. No, I am not looking for the smoothest and least offensive sound. Hell, offend me a little!!! That's actually the problem I have with the Sundara, too smooth, not enough detail either. It also seems to lack a real sense of dynamics too. It does have a good sound stage, but the imaging is a little homogeneous. Now that doesn't mean I want something far from neutral, but a little more high end and tight bass with impact is not bad either. So if that's what the HEX V2 is about then no, I am not looking for that sound. Don't mind a touch bright as long as it's balanced with good bass.

So, perhaps Arya and if not that the Ananda will suit me more? I don't know. As long as its not too hard to drive and I can at least drive it with a potable amp/dac when I want to take it to the bedroom to work on with my IPad. Part of me wants to stop off at the Ananda, maybe the HEX before shelling out the extra money for the Arya to see if the Hifiman sound is even for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back