HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #361 of 11,883
I think the difference from 2 years ago is that Hifiman has seen the feedback on their pricing. They knew they were pricing things too high. With the new releases, I think their pricing is definitely more in line with the competition.

They are playing both sides. 1000 v1 and 1000 v2 were too much $. Arya comes in and those used prices tank, but they still have the 1000 se.

HEX v2 prices dropped twice, then the MD XX announced. Used prices down to the high 7's. Used list prices up some as of now, but nobody biting. One of the best balanced cans they have ever made IMO.

HE6se lists for $1800, a handful already used for high 11-mid 12. Selling OK, expect a price drop by summer to clear them out - same with the 5se's which are not selling well - imputed from stock counts that get listed and very very few used.

3 of my 5 cans are HFM (one a MD-4xx). Love 'em. Don't understand the Ananda however. Bitterly disappointed by them. It's a race between who gets a v2 first - Sundara or Ananda. Given the slip in Sundara prices, it's probably them.

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #362 of 11,883
They are playing both sides. 1000 v1 and 1000 v2 were too much $. Arya comes in and those used prices tank, but they still have the 1000 se.

HEX v2 prices dropped twice, then the MD XX announced. Used prices down to the high 7's. Used list prices up some as of now, but nobody biting. One of the best balanced cans they have ever made IMO.

HE6se lists for $1800, a handful already used for high 11-mid 12. Selling OK, expect a price drop by summer to clear them out - same with the 5se's which are not selling well - imputed from stock counts that get listed and very very few used.

3 of my 5 cans are HFM (one a MD-4xx). Love 'em. Don't understand the Ananda however. Bitterly disappointed by them. It's a race between who gets a v2 first - Sundara or Ananda. Given the slip in Sundara prices, it's probably them.

Yeah true, they kind of went both ways. I also am not a fan of the new headband style that doesn't allow the cups to rotate. I have the Ananda on loan and it needs like the slightest 5 degree angle towards the front to fit right. Without the swivel it just feels the pressure isn't dispersed properly.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #363 of 11,883

The cool thing is the Arya can be had for as much as the HEX used to cost new. Hifiman really needs to cut back on their line....too much of an overlap. Right now with HEXs dried up the only mid tier options are an Ananda used or new or Arya. Won’t consider a he5 or he6.....too hard to drive. Perhaps used HEK v2 will come down in price? Right now about $1,700- $2,100.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #364 of 11,883
Yeah true, they kind of went both ways. I also am not a fan of the new headband style that doesn't allow the cups to rotate. I have the Ananda on loan and it needs like the slightest 5 degree angle towards the front to fit right. Without the swivel it just feels the pressure isn't dispersed properly.
How do you like the Ananda so far? I know Bagwell isn’t too fond of it. :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #365 of 11,883
The cool thing is the Arya can be had for as much as the HEX used to cost new. Hifiman really needs to cut back on their line....too much of an overlap. Right now with HEXs dried up the only mid tier options are an Ananda used or new or Arya. Won’t consider a he5 or he6.....too hard to drive. Perhaps used HEK v2 will come down in price? Right now about $1,700- $2,100.

Well the Arya is supposed to be near the HEK v2, so considering age, loss of warranty, and avoiding used equipment, I think the HEK V2 might be hitting $1400 very soon. I've seen two for $1600ish lately. I personally think the HEK is much nicer looking but I can't afford the new 1000se. Anytime one wants there is Audio46 10% discount. $1350 pretty cheap for Arya. Still want to hear E2 and Quads before buying.

I think the LFF modded HE-6 is a top 5 can, but he's not really working now I do not believe. The Rag and even the Bryston drive the HE-6 well FWIW.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #367 of 11,883
I’m tired of hearing all the bla bla bla, we need more impressions !!!! Comparaisons ! This thread is almost empty talk.
True. This thread is a perfect example of HM’s problem.......a saturated lineup. These HPs fell underneath almost everyone’s radar. Only a few professional reviews and few owners to do their own reviews. No one probably even knows where this falls in the HM lineup. Is it a suped up Ananda, a dumbed down HEK or new sound altogether?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #368 of 11,883
True. This thread is a perfect example of HM’s problem.......a saturated lineup. These HPs fell underneath almost everyone’s radar. Only a few professional reviews and few owners to do their own reviews. No one probably even knows where this falls in the HM lineup. Is it a suped up Ananda, a dumbed down HEK or new sound altogether?

I agree. It seems that HifiMan doesn't know what kinds of products consumers will like. They are making small tweaks, putting different names on them and doing random tests to see what products will sell most.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #370 of 11,883
The problem with this thread is not Hifiman’s fault. We just don’t have any impressions in here, most of the posts are bla bla bla.

It's also Hifiman's problem. Consumers don't buy them because they are confused. They don't know what to expect, what's differences among them.
Don't bite the bait.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #372 of 11,883

The Arya is better than the Ananda. It is more detailed and has better control of the upper mids and treble. The only advantage of the Ananda is that it’s easier to drive because of higher sensitivity.

The HEX V2 has the best treble of all Hifiman to my ears, so use that as reference to what I’m about to say.

The treble on the Ananda has a metallic sheen to it that bothers me on EVERYTHING I listen to. If it weren’t for that, they’d be damn good headphones. The Ananda also seems to have a slightly smaller soundstage compared to HEX, HEK, and Arya.

The treble on the Arya only bothers me on tracks that are poorly mixed or already mixed with brightness. They have more present mids than the HEX V2, which is the ONLY thing I can fault the HEX V2 for. If you want more details and a more analytical sound than the HEX V2, and you’re not a millionaire, then the Arya is the logical upgrade.

After hearing and owning the HEX V2, Arya, Ananda, and HEK V2, I honestly don’t understand the existence of the Ananda.

Smoothest —> HEX V2 (other than slightly recessed upper mid range, these are perfect headphones)

More treble, detail, and analytical without costing a fortune —> Arya

Same as Arya but with higher quality parts and better build, and quite a bit more costly —> HEK V2

Even more detailed, higher sensitivity than the HEK and Arya, stronger magnets, and stealth geometry of magnets borrowed from Susvara, quality build and a stupidly high price —> HEKse

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #373 of 11,883
The Arya is better than the Ananda. It is more detailed and has better control of the upper mids and treble. The only advantage of the Ananda is that it’s easier to drive because of higher sensitivity.

The HEX V2 has the best treble of all Hifiman to my ears, so use that as reference to what I’m about to say.

The treble on the Ananda has a metallic sheen to it that bothers me on EVERYTHING I listen to. If it weren’t for that, they’d be damn good headphones. The Ananda also seems to have a slightly smaller soundstage compared to HEX, HEK, and Arya.

The treble on the Arya only bothers me on tracks that are poorly mixed or already mixed with brightness. They have more present mids than the HEX V2, which is the ONLY thing I can fault the HEX V2 for. If you want more details and a more analytical sound than the HEX V2, and you’re not a millionaire, then the Arya is the logical upgrade.

After hearing and owning the HEX V2, Arya, Ananda, and HEK V2, I honestly don’t understand the existence of the Ananda.

Smoothest —> HEX V2 (other than slightly recessed upper mid range, these are perfect headphones)

More treble, detail, and analytical without costing a fortune —> Arya

Same as Arya but with higher quality parts and better build, and quite a bit more costly —> HEK V2

Even more detailed, higher sensitivity than the HEK and Arya, stronger magnets, and stealth geometry of magnets borrowed from Susvara, quality build and a stupidly high price —> HEKse

Hope that helps.
Beautiful thank you ! at last some relevant post ! Any possible comparaison with the HD800S?

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #374 of 11,883
Beautiful thank you ! at last some relevant post ! Any possible comparaison with the HD800S?

The 800S was the headphone that brought me into the audiophile world. They’re super comfortable, super detailed, and have the best soundstage of any headphone I’ve ever heard to this day. They really only have three weaknesses in my opinion. Their first weakness is that they still have too much treble at 6K even though it’s better than the 800. So you get amazing levels of detail, but they’re still too bright for me and many like me.

Their second weakness is that their sub bass performance is abysmal compared to just about any decent planar headphone. There is just too much roll off below 40hz. Their mid bass is pretty good though.

Their third weakness is that they’re 300 ohms, so they’re moderately hard to drive.

Lastly, they’re a totally different technology than the Arya. A lot of people have a preference for either dynamic or planar. Amongst dynamic driver headphones, I’d take the 800S over anything else because you can’t beat their price to performance ratio (suck it Utopia).

But I really like the way planars sound. So as much as I love the 800S, there is just something sweet about the way high end planars produce bass and midrange. Really good planars produce bass that is a literal straight line from 1K to 20hz and even below. So the bass is accurate with no roll off. I’m just addicted to the way that sounds. So as good as the 800S is, and it is really good, I would take a top end planar over it every time.

In terms of mid range, high end planars just seem to present it with more detail without it sounding harsh. For me, I just prefer that sound.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #375 of 11,883
The 800S was the headphone that brought me into the audiophile world. They’re super comfortable, super detailed, and have the best soundstage of any headphone I’ve ever heard to this day. They really only have three weaknesses in my opinion. Their first weakness is that they still have too much treble at 6K even though it’s better than the 800. So you get amazing levels of detail, but they’re still too bright for me and many like me.

Their second weakness is that their sub bass performance is abysmal compared to just about any decent planar headphone. There is just too much roll off below 40hz. Their mid bass is pretty good though.

Their third weakness is that they’re 300 ohms, so they’re moderately hard to drive.

Lastly, they’re a totally different technology than the Arya. A lot of people have a preference for either dynamic or planar. Amongst dynamic driver headphones, I’d take the 800S over anything else because you can’t beat their price to performance ratio (suck it Utopia).

But I really like the way planars sound. So as much as I love the 800S, there is just something sweet about the way high end planars produce bass and midrange. Really good planars produce bass that is a literal straight line from 1K to 20hz and even below. So the bass is accurate with no roll off. I’m just addicted to the way that sounds. So as good as the 800S is, and it is really good, I would take a top end planar over it every time.

In terms of mid range, high end planars just seem to present it with more detail without it sounding harsh. For me, I just prefer that sound.
Once again, thank you so much for your enlightening words.
May I ask a last question. I don’t expect the Arya to compete on layering and imaging with HD800S, but would you say the Arya gets pretty close at least ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back