HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #301 of 11,868
Really I was shocked; I A/Bd against my other cans, notably LCD3 and Denon7200, but also against the HD58X and I was incredibly underwhelmed. I'm almost tempted to say it sounded compressed and non energetic.
Also I did not find that 3D feeling that I expected. The depth was not to the level.

This worries me. Have you heard the HEX V2 or Ananda? Can you compare to either of them? Just seeing if it's Hifiman's sound that doesn't appeal to you or if it's the headphone, in particular, or chain?

On the Ether 2 thread, I saw quite a bit of praise for them and was excited to get a pair in to listen to and to say the least, I was quite disappointed with them as a $2K headphone. I hope this wouldn't be the case with the Arya.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #302 of 11,868
I have the HEX V2 which is my favorite headphone of the moment. I've been very weary of the Ananda as an upgrade as it's often described as less bass presence with less extension, more treble presense with more extension, thinner mids and a smaller soundstage. Now all these observations, I gather are probably not major but collectively change the signature. Would you agree with this summarization?

How would you compare the HEX V2 subbass/bass extension and quantity/quality compared to the Arya? Seems the treble is most notably more prominent but I haven't heard anything about a glare. I agree with you on the HEX V2 treble, I really like the presentation and level compared to the test of the spectrum. I don't know if I'd like it any brighter.
To reassure you the guy I bought it from really liked them, same as to the person I sold it to. So it seems that I’m just in the minority here.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #303 of 11,868
I have the HEX V2 which is my favorite headphone of the moment. I've been very weary of the Ananda as an upgrade as it's often described as less bass presence with less extension, more treble presense with more extension, thinner mids and a smaller soundstage. Now all these observations, I gather are probably not major but collectively change the signature. Would you agree with this summarization?

How would you compare the HEX V2 subbass/bass extension and quantity/quality compared to the Arya? Seems the treble is most notably more prominent but I haven't heard anything about a glare. I agree with you on the HEX V2 treble, I really like the presentation and level compared to the test of the spectrum. I don't know if I'd like it any brighter.

This is easy as I really love the HEX V2. The Arya is just a little better everywhere. It has more neutral mids (the HEX mids are slightly recessed), it has slightly less mid bass, sub bass is the same (awesome for both), it has slightly more treble energy that slightly bothered me at first but seems to be smoothing out with burn in, and it has a larger soundstage and better resolution, and it has a blacker background.

I prefer the HEX to the Ananda. To me, the Ananda is a side grade, or even maybe a downgrade, but definitely not an upgrade. The Arya is a definite upgrade. It is worth the extra $700 from the HEX and Ananda. The HEK V2 is not worth $3000 and I doubt the HEKse is worth $3400 (but to be fair, I haven’t heard them).

To me the Arya makes the Ananda and HEK V2 irrelevant. The HEX is still relevant because it has less treble and more mid bass so it is tuned more fun. The Arya is tuned very neutral with slightly warm mid bass but less than the HEX V2. It is very high quality but really, the Ananda and HEX have high quality bass too.

With the Arya, you’re basically getting the HEK V2 with tighter bass, less recessed upper mids, a different finish, and for nearly half the price. It’s a no brainer. They’re the best value Hifiman has ever offered, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #304 of 11,868
I agree that the 7200 has a small soundstage, but I don't mind it so much, it's such a nervous and dynamic can. This is why I'm considering the Clear or Elex now.
I’m not sure if you’ve heard the Elex yet but I own it along side the Ayra. Elex might be a hair brighter but the treble is far more detailed on Arya IMO.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #306 of 11,868
AC06E154-A5B1-4D04-92DE-C6418B01C468.jpeg
664647E2-374B-4091-AD16-3D78E55B5386.jpeg
E0775EF4-1D5D-4301-B800-CB5CCA9BDCA2.jpeg

Still just so surprised that these sound that good. I’m happy to have them and I’m completely confused and dumbfounded by Hifiman and all their models and pricing...it gives me a headache trying to decipher their business modus operandi.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #307 of 11,868

Still just so surprised that these sound that good. I’m happy to have them and I’m completely confused and dumbfounded by Hifiman and all their models and pricing...it gives me a headache trying to decipher their business modus operandi.

I may want to hear these. After hearing Ananda and Sundara, I do understand why people love Hifiman headphones. I like their light wight, comfort, and large drivers. But the issue with me was their steely timbre in the treble. Also folks in the other forum have said that HEKv2 also has this issue, which keeps me from trying them.

But Ayra is their new iteration, so I hope that they resolve this issue at this time. Do you think Ayra has natural timbre in the treble? A good test album might include "Hilary Hahn plays Bach: Violin Sonatas Nos. 1&2; Partita No.1"
I understand that it will be something like your ears and my ears at the end. But I just want to hear about your thoughts.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #308 of 11,868
I may want to hear these. After hearing Ananda and Sundara, I do understand why people love Hifiman headphones. I like their light wight, comfort, and large drivers. But the issue with me was their steely timbre in the treble. Also folks in the other forum have said that HEKv2 also has this issue, which keeps me from trying them.

But Ayra is their new iteration, so I hope that they resolve this issue at this time. Do you think Ayra has natural timbre in the treble? A good test album might include "Hilary Hahn plays Bach: Violin Sonatas Nos. 1&2; Partita No.1"
I understand that it will be something like your ears and my ears at the end. But I just want to hear about your thoughts.
I for one only listen to acoustic music (classical), and found the violins to beboff timbre.
Sometimes it can be fun (like with the Denon), sometimes not, like with the Arya.
Also in classical music dynamics are essential. From the classical period to the modern era, all the music is extremely dynamic; which completely destroys the idea of « relaxing » with classical music....that is, unless you put the Arya on :)

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #309 of 11,868

The Arya does have a little bit of a metallic edge to it but not as bad as the Ananda and way better than the 560. It also seems to be smoothing out with use. I’ve only had them for a few days so they’re not fully burned in yet. Im not sure if it’s the treble or upper mids though.

The treble is actually quite beautiful on these. It has a very delicate, and ethereal quality to it. When you hear a song where there is a solid bass line driving the beat and then an acoustic guitar starts playing in the other channel, it paints a beautiful contrast of hard and delicate that’s just beautiful to hear.

I first really noticed it on the song “Mother” by Pink Floyd. In the middle of the song when the drums kick in and then you hear the guitar chime in out of the right channel.

Another great song to hear this treble quality is the song “Long After You’re Gone” by Chris Jones. The guitar work is just spectacular on that song, especially the solo parts in the middle.

Also “Patience” by Guns N’ Roses sounds just incredible on these.

Another song where you hear that beautiful, delicate, ethereal treble is “Wish it was True” by White Buffalo. That song also shows off the Arya’s fantastic sub bass.

And “Poison and Wine” by the Civil Wars.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #310 of 11,868
I for one only listen to acoustic music (classical), and found the violins to beboff timbre.
Sometimes it can be fun (like with the Denon), sometimes not, like with the Arya.
Also in classical music dynamics are essential. From the classical period to the modern era, all the music is extremely dynamic; which completely destroys the idea of « relaxing » with classical music....that is, unless you put the Arya on :)
The Arya does have a little bit of a metallic edge to it but not as bad as the Ananda and way better than the 560. It also seems to be smoothing out with use. I’ve only had them for a few days so they’re not fully burned in yet. Im not sure if it’s the treble or upper mids though.

The treble is actually quite beautiful on these. It has a very delicate, and ethereal quality to it. When you hear a song where there is a solid bass line driving the beat and then an acoustic guitar starts playing in the other channel, it paints a beautiful contrast of hard and delicate that’s just beautiful to hear.

I first really noticed it on the song “Mother” by Pink Floyd. In the middle of the song when the drums kick in and then you hear the guitar chime in out of the right channel.

Another great song to hear this treble quality is the song “Long After You’re Gone” by Chris Jones. The guitar work is just spectacular on that song, especially the solo parts in the middle.

Also “Patience” by Guns N’ Roses sounds just incredible on these.

Another song where you hear that beautiful, delicate, ethereal treble is “Wish it was True” by White Buffalo. That song also shows off the Arya’s fantastic sub bass.

From my experience, guitar is easier to be done correctly IMO. I heard more issues with violins. If high-pitched violin sounds are not done correctly, it provokes the ire of listeners, and sounds bad.
While I primarily listen to vocal songs, I do love violins. If done correctly, violin sounds quite delicate and beautiful. But not many headphones do violins justice. If you have any chances to hear violins with them, let me know :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #311 of 11,868
Oh really ? no have not heard the Elex. How do you like it compared to Arya ?
Tonally, they're very similar but the Arya is just bigger and better in every way. Detail retrieval, sound stage (height, width, and depth), imaging, layering, and separation are all superior on the Arya. The Arya also has a blacker background to my ears. Dynamics are somewhat close but I'd give the edge to the Arya. That might just be perception, though. The Elex is an excellent value at $700 but it is no match for the Arya IMO.

The Arya is also far more comfy. The one thing that is "better" on the Elex is the build quality and perhaps the fact that you get a balanced cable in the box.

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #312 of 11,868
Tonally, they're very similar but the Arya is just bigger and better in every way. Detail retrieval, sound stage (height, width, and depth), imaging, layering, and separation are all superior on the Arya. The Arya also has a blacker background to my ears. Dynamics are somewhat close but I'd give the edge to the Arya. That might just be perception, though. The Elex is an excellent value at $700 but it is no match for the Arya IMO.

The Arya is also far more comfy. The one thing that is "better" on the Elex is the build quality and perhaps the fact that you get a balanced cable in the box.
Ok thanks ! No Elex for me then ! I sold the HD800S so I’ll keep looking for this kind of experience but with more body !
LCD3 is too heavy...

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #313 of 11,868
From my experience, guitar is easier to be done correctly IMO. I heard more issues with violins. If high-pitched violin sounds are not done correctly, it provokes the ire of listeners, and sounds bad.
While I primarily listen to vocal songs, I do love violins. If done correctly, violin sounds quite delicate and beautiful. But not many headphones do violins justice. If you have any chances to hear violins with them, let me know :)

I listened to some Hilary Hahn and thought the violin sounded pretty awesome. But I’ll be honest,
I’m not an expert on the sound of the violin. Loreena Mckennitt’s “Book of Secrets” sounds amazing on these though. There’s all kinds of weird sounds and instruments on her tracks.

Like I said, there’s a slight metallic edge on some songs but it doesn’t bother me like the Ananda did. These have amazing clarity and detail retrieval. Maybe that’s the trade off you get for that. Maybe after the drivers loosen up more it won’t be noticeable anymore. Time will tell.

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #314 of 11,868
I listened to some Hilary Hahn and thought the violin sounded pretty awesome. But I’ll be honest,
I’m not an expert on the sound of the violin. Loreena Mckennitt’s “Book of Secrets” sounds amazing on these though. There’s all kinds of weird sounds and instruments on her tracks.

Like I said, there’s a slight metallic edge on some songs but it doesn’t bother me like the Ananda did. These have amazing clarity and detail retrieval. Maybe that’s the trade off you get for that. Maybe after the drivers loosen up more it won’t be noticeable anymore. Time will tell.

On Ananda, that metallic edge was too noticeable to me. I mean, almost immediately I play some violin track. Hopefully, Hifiman nailed it down at this time!

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #315 of 11,868

Which one is brighter, and which one has more bass slam - Elex or Arya?
Does Arya match the bass kick from Elex?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back