HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #11,732 of 11,919
Hey guys, quick question. What dac/amp would be good for my newly purchased Arya Stealth V3?
I was looking at the fiio k9 pro ess, however I heard that for a more natural feel it is worth considering a class A amp.

How true is this, or can I safely take the k9 pro ess?
Well I have the topping a90 descrete / d90le, hifiman ef600 & ef600 also woo audio wa7 fireflies 3rd generation. Portable amp/dacs are ifi audio micro idsd signature & fostex hpv1. The hifiman arya stealth works great with all of them.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #11,733 of 11,919
Didn't had a chance to hear them but they are both my favorits so far after wathcinbg many reviews. I'm looking for an upgrade from the Sundaras.
Can you tell abit more about the differences? Is the Arya Organic almost as good as the Empy 2 or better for you?
I guess the Arya could be abit to big for me and the sealing might break which will effect the sound. The Empy 2 might be more comfortable, has a proper cable and I can choose something different than the 6.35mm connector.
Which one is better mainly comes down to taste IMO - the Emyrean is warmer and fuller sounding with a smaller soundstage, it's very pleasant and inoffensive. The Arya has less prominent bass, much "clearer" treble but is a bit recessed in the mids compared to the Empy. If you're sensitive to treble the Arya might be a bit fatiguing, on the other hand I'd say they're more engaging.

Build quality is a landslide win to Empy, comfort is better on Empy but the Arya is comfortable too.

If I was buying one of them - I'd probably pick Empy if I didn't care about price at all, build quality affects this choice a lot. But if price is of any consideration, the Arya is a better choice - the Empy is a bit too expensive for what it offers sound quality wise IMO, YMMV and so on... :wink:

Regarding the seal on Arya affecting the sound though - I don't think the headphones position on your head nor the seal (or lack thereof) affects the sound much. They're very forgiving in that regard. Someone who actually owns them can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my impression from the demo.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #11,734 of 11,919
Ok thank you. The Sundaras are abit to bright for me and missing punsh. But I EQ them which made them much better for me. But possible that most Hifimans might be to abit bright for me in general without EQ.
The 3k for the Empy 2 are alot but I'm looking for something that will last many years and can be used as an allrounder. Not sure if it's worth it. Should work for many kind of music genres and gaming too. Thats why the comfort is an important part since I'll use them sometimes for many hours. But I can't complain about the comfort of the Sundaras, they fit already very well.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #11,735 of 11,919
Ok thank you. The Sundaras are abit to bright for me and missing punsh. But I EQ them which made them much better for me. But possible that most Hifimans might be to abit bright for me in general without EQ.
The 3k for the Empy 2 are alot but I'm looking for something that will last many years and can be used as an allrounder. Not sure if it's worth it. Should work for many kind of music genres and gaming too. Thats why the comfort is an important part since I'll use them sometimes for many hours. But I can't complain about the comfort of the Sundaras, they fit already very well.
Well it does sound like the Empyrean sound would be more to your taste then.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #11,736 of 11,919
I disliked the Serenity pads that came with the Arya v2. I remember that the Ultrapad on the Arya v1 was comfortable, so I used a new Ultrapad with my v2 (cutting out the dust cover from it since the v2 already had one installed on the baffle). I don't know whether if the Serenity pad foam is simply stiffer than that on the Ultrapad, or if it was just batch variance. I can just say that the Ultrapad worked out for me on my Arya v2's. However, the material used for the cloth covering part of the pad that contacts your face/side of the head is the same between the Serenity pads and the Ultrapads AFAIK. So, if the Serenity pad material is causing itchiness, the Ultrapad material is likely to do the same.
Are you still using the Ultrapads on your Arya V2? If not, may I know which pads are you using currently?

Im asking because I would like to find out their durability

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #11,737 of 11,919
Well I am finally joining the Arya club, albeit an older pair. They are referred to as 2020 models. The original seller thinks they were V2's? The current owner has had them for about three years. I traded a set of Meze 109 Pro's for them.

Can't wait to get them. I figure Friday or Monday delivery.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #11,738 of 11,919
Nice.

So it looks like as far as the oval pads go, both versions are a little more V-shaped than stock, with a pretty significant bass roll-off.

Mesh hybrid
1709659612327.png

Lambskin
1709659778466.png

The mesh hybrid appears to have less upper-mids than stock or lambskin pads.
The bass roll off is interesting. Hopefully we can get more reviews on these ZMF pads

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #11,739 of 11,919
I had sold the original pair of Arya Stealth I bought early this year a little over a month ago. At the time I just felt like the much cheaper Edition XS offered way better value and somewhat better overall sound.

With the recent sale I was tempted to pick the Arya SE back up. I had $20 in rewards at Hifiman store so I was able to grab it again for $739, which isn't much more than what I sold my original pair for.

I swear this pair sounds different than the first pair. This one sounds like all of the reviews say, with decently wide stage, great clarity, nice bass response, and tons of detail. I almost think my first pair was faulty, or was on the lower end of unit variation or something.

This new pair sounds definitively better than the XS. In particular, the soundstage width is almost the same as my XS, where the first pair was quite a bit more narrow. The imaging in the stage is also now how its described in reviews. My first pair felt weirdly like a triangle where the base was in front of you and it tapered on either side to the back of the head at a single point. It always thew me off. This new pair sounds really open with terrific imaging. I'm hearing way more separation than I heard on the first pair.

I'm using the same schiit stack to power them, so nothing changed in terms of source. I really think the two pairs just sound different. I was pretty meh on my original pair, especially given its $899 price tag vs the Edition XS at $379. This new pair sounds amazing and like the end game headphone lots of people rave about. So strange.

I'm a pretty happy camper right now. For $739 this performance, build and comfort is laughably good.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #11,740 of 11,919
Well I am finally joining the Arya club, albeit an older pair. They are referred to as 2020 models. The original seller thinks they were V2's? The current owner has had them for about three years. I traded a set of Meze 109 Pro's for them.

Can't wait to get them. I figure Friday or Monday delivery.
I have the v2 ones, fabulous.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #11,741 of 11,919
I had sold the original pair of Arya Stealth I bought early this year a little over a month ago. At the time I just felt like the much cheaper Edition XS offered way better value and somewhat better overall sound.

With the recent sale I was tempted to pick the Arya SE back up. I had $20 in rewards at Hifiman store so I was able to grab it again for $739, which isn't much more than what I sold my original pair for.

I swear this pair sounds different than the first pair. This one sounds like all of the reviews say, with decently wide stage, great clarity, nice bass response, and tons of detail. I almost think my first pair was faulty, or was on the lower end of unit variation or something.

This new pair sounds definitively better than the XS. In particular, the soundstage width is almost the same as my XS, where the first pair was quite a bit more narrow. The imaging in the stage is also now how its described in reviews. My first pair felt weirdly like a triangle where the base was in front of you and it tapered on either side to the back of the head at a single point. It always thew me off. This new pair sounds really open with terrific imaging. I'm hearing way more separation than I heard on the first pair.

I'm using the same schiit stack to power them, so nothing changed in terms of source. I really think the two pairs just sound different. I was pretty meh on my original pair, especially given its $899 price tag vs the Edition XS at $379. This new pair sounds amazing and like the end game headphone lots of people rave about. So strange.

I'm a pretty happy camper right now. For $739 this performance, build and comfort is laughably good.
Probably because you have been listening to the XS all this time :wink:

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #11,744 of 11,919
Interesting. I'm enjoying my Aryas Stealth since 2 weeks. They're on another level comparing to the Edition XS and Ananda Nano I owned and just sold.
Yea, I wonder if the hype around the XS at the time got to some people's heads.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #11,745 of 11,919
Yea, I wonder if the hype around the XS at the time got to some people's heads.
I'm not saying the Edition XS are bad, I was super happy with them. Great performers, especially for the current price.

But I almost passed on the Aryas after reading multiple Reddit posts that they're at 90% of performance level of the Aryas. Glad I bought them in the end to realize that they're significantly superior. Not 2 times better as the price suggests (diminishing returns kick in hard, no surprise) but no way the XS is only 10% away. Technical performance of Arya drivers (transients, (micro)dynamics, sound decay, soundstage) is on another level. Also I prefer their more transparent and resolving timbre in the mids. And they scale deeply with better sources too, even though not being hard to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back