HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #10,876 of 11,884
No, even the susvara has this dip.

Sep 5, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #10,877 of 11,884
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #10,878 of 11,884
The Organic's soundstage like an interesting upgrade/ sidegrade from the Stealth - however it's too bad that it has such low impedance likely excluding it from sounding tight on tube amplifiers like my Stealth does (which sounds huge on tubes).

I wonder how much of the perceived benefit in soundstage has to do with tuning vs structure.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #10,880 of 11,884
The organic is available definite upgrade over the previous versions. It was however a bit thin compared to my ZMF Atrium but there should be a big difference since it’s twice the cost
Hifiman and ZMF are more complimentary headphones. Their sound signatures are basically at the opposite ends of the sonic spectrum. Hifiman neutral/bright, ZMF warm/full-bodied with excellent timbre. Although the Arya Organic’s are moving Hifiman more in this direction. Hence my interest in them :)

Sep 5, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #10,882 of 11,884
Hifiman and ZMF are more complimentary headphones. Their sound signatures are basically at the opposite ends of the sonic spectrum. Hifiman neutral/bright, ZMF warm/full-bodied with excellent timbre. Although the Arya Organic’s are moving Hifiman more in this direction. Hence my interest in them :)
Makes me want to buy another Atrium now. I sold the Focal Clear to pick up the Organic and I feel as though I need to add a dynamic headphone to the kit.

Sep 6, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #10,884 of 11,884
Makes me want to buy another Atrium now. I sold the Focal Clear to pick up the Organic and I feel as though I need to add a dynamic headphone to the kit.
I need to add a ZMF headphone to my collection as well. I previously owned the Auteur’s , Eikon’s, and Verite Open’s. I heard the Atrium’s and had a in home demo of the Caldera’s. I’m not sure which I’ll pick up again as I thought they all needed a bit of eq’ing to to suit my personal tastes to sound a bit more open in the mid to upper registries.

Of all the ZMF headphones that I’ve heard, the Verite Open’s fits more to what I like in a headphone. With that said, I need to hear the Arya Organic’s to hear how Hifiman has them tuned. I think they could replace a few headphones in my collection.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #10,885 of 11,884
At least some measurements seemed to suggest the dip not being as deep on the Susvara. Likewise with the Sundara.
It is not, but it is still an HFM HP with a 2 kHz hole, which is why I sold the Susvara and kept the DCA Stealth.

Soundwise, for me, having one of the Arya or HEK is enough as I don't think any of them has a perfect tuning and EQ is, again for me, a must. So with a desktop setup, it doesn't really matter. For a portable one, I would just get the one with the highest efficiency and fix the tuning with EQ.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #10,886 of 11,884
It is not, but it is still an HFM HP with a 2 kHz hole, which is why I sold the Susvara and kept the DCA Stealth.

Soundwise, for me, having one of the Arya or HEK is enough as I don't think any of them has a perfect tuning and EQ is, again for me, a must. So with a desktop setup, it doesn't really matter. For a portable one, I would just get the one with the highest efficiency and fix the tuning with EQ.
Unfortunately… there is more than FR graph in the listening experience… but we will get there some day :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #10,887 of 11,884
Unfortunately… there is more than FR graph in the listening experience… but we will get there some day :)
This is so true. I've used XS, Ananda, Arya Stealth, Hekse so far. All have extremely similar FR. I also eq them how i like to even more similar FR. The result is wildly different. They all sound different.

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #10,888 of 11,884
To concur, as covered here (post #4541) and here (post #4,660), this was a case where while the DCA Expanse out of the box has the best frequency response and excellent distortion performance (as measured by ASR), other factors such as comfort and "presentation" caused me to be a bit disappointed with it compared to what I could get out of EQing the alternatives per its sounding a bit dull and closed in as some had found. The FiiO K9 Pro ESS was able to drive it on balanced mode to pretty good loudness without sounding like it was struggling, but I felt like I was losing a lot from the huge planar presentation and vivid "tactility" of the Arya Stealth; I could play single-sample Dirac impulses pretty loud through the DCA Expanse while on high gain, but it still sounded duller. The sonic presentation was not worth the decrease in ear space. But again, part of why I heard something "special" out of the EQed Meze Elite was that headphones.com's GRAS measurements if used to create a Harman EQ actually caused the Elite to have a raised 600 Hz to 800 Hz region which I heard as extra guitar "sweetness". In fact, after finally taking an Elite home, I ended up very closely matching the Elite's EQ to my Arya's fine-tuned EQ which I found still sounded clearer (I had a quick A/B methodology for matching the volume of pure tones, whereby I got them to sound basically tonally identical), then did further adjustments to the Elite's EQ. At least I still loved the looks, build, and pad feel, and knew that it gave me similar tactility and huge presentation to the Arya, but with lower distortion and no impossible to EQ resonances, mind what sounded to me via sine sweeps like a nigh perfect top octave.

Sep 7, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #10,889 of 11,884
This is so true. I've used XS, Ananda, Arya Stealth, Hekse so far. All have extremely similar FR. I also eq them how i like to even more similar FR. The result is wildly different. They all sound different.
All those you mention are different models, possibly with different drivers, pads, clamping forces, driver position relative to the ear, in cup reflections etc. etc. So of course these could make a difference.

But within the model families, once equalised, the differences are negligible. Please read my post carefully.

Sep 7, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #10,890 of 11,884
To concur, as covered here (post #4541) and here (post #4,660), this was a case where while the DCA Expanse out of the box has the best frequency response and excellent distortion performance (as measured by ASR), other factors such as comfort and "presentation" caused me to be a bit disappointed with it compared to what I could get out of EQing the alternatives per its sounding a bit dull and closed in as some had found. The FiiO K9 Pro ESS was able to drive it on balanced mode to pretty good loudness without sounding like it was struggling, but I felt like I was losing a lot from the huge planar presentation and vivid "tactility" of the Arya Stealth; I could play single-sample Dirac impulses pretty loud through the DCA Expanse while on high gain, but it still sounded duller. The sonic presentation was not worth the decrease in ear space. But again, part of why I heard something "special" out of the EQed Meze Elite was that headphones.com's GRAS measurements if used to create a Harman EQ actually caused the Elite to have a raised 600 Hz to 800 Hz region which I heard as extra guitar "sweetness". In fact, after finally taking an Elite home, I ended up very closely matching the Elite's EQ to my Arya's fine-tuned EQ which I found still sounded clearer (I had a quick A/B methodology for matching the volume of pure tones, whereby I got them to sound basically tonally identical), then did further adjustments to the Elite's EQ. At least I still loved the looks, build, and pad feel, and knew that it gave me similar tactility and huge presentation to the Arya, but with lower distortion and no impossible to EQ resonances, mind what sounded to me via sine sweeps like a nigh perfect top octave.
Not that all should be exactly the same, but you should be careful comparing an Expanse to an Elite, as their sensitivity is vastly different. Especially if you are comparing test sounds by ear. You need to have the exact same volume level coming out of them, as the sensitivity of ears for bass, mids and treble are different, which results in a different detail perception. Also the positioning of Expanse changes the amount of treble including upper treble, which is again percieved as detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back