HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #10,531 of 11,923
I have Arya Stealth, and this is going crazy, I have the option to upgrade to Organic, HEKV2 or even HD800s. and I have no idea if it's worth it or to continue in Stealth, I value soundstage a lot, and I haven't been able to try any of those, not even the 800s, can someone shed some light? I mean I love Stealth, but I would like a bigger soundstage. I heard that HEKV2 has better soundstage and tone, is that correct?
What kind of music are you listening to? The Stealth has the soundstage, it just gives you an accurate staging to the mix. Try listening to some live or cinematic scores, and see if that is the kind of stage you are looking for, if it is, then you know you are fine. Something with more dynamic and softer passages. The word is that the Organic adds more bass, subtracts some highs, but i haven't heard them yet. My only worry is that it is going to take less volume to make them loud, and some who have amps without high current may have channel imbalance at lower volumes.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #10,532 of 11,923
What kind of music are you listening to? The Stealth has the soundstage, it just gives you an accurate staging to the mix. Try listening to some live or cinematic scores, and see if that is the kind of stage you are looking for, if it is, then you know you are fine. Something with more dynamic and softer passages. The word is that the Organic adds more bass, subtracts some highs, but i haven't heard them yet. My only worry is that it is going to take less volume to make them loud, and some who have amps without high current may have channel imbalance at lower volumes.
Coming from the DT1990 and listening to edm/electronica I'm leaning towards the Stealth but idk!

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #10,533 of 11,923
Failure? Wouldn't the Arya Stealth becoming more valuable if it sounds good and is discontinued?
Yes, the Stealth could become more valuable in the secondary market if it is discontinued. It's an amazing product, especially at it's current price point. What I mean is if HiFiMAN allows the Stealth and Organic to coexist, with no context on their differences, most buyers will simply gravitate towards the newer model. That would almost guarantee the discontinuation of the Stealth because HiFiMAN hasn't explained why a customer should or shouldn't buy it going forward. I'm just saying if they want to let the market decide, they should offer some clarification so buyers can make an informed decision. If they want to phase out the Stealth with the Organic, they should just say that.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #10,534 of 11,923
Yes, the Stealth could become more valuable in the secondary market if it is discontinued. It's an amazing product, especially at it's current price point. What I mean is if HiFiMAN allows the Stealth and Organic to coexist, with no context on their differences, most buyers will simply gravitate towards the newer model. That would almost guarantee the discontinuation of the Stealth because HiFiMAN hasn't explained why a customer should or shouldn't buy it going forward. I'm just saying if they want to let the market decide, they should offer some clarification so buyers can make an informed decision. If they want to phase out the Stealth with the Organic, they should just say that.
I agree that the two headphones are quite different in tuning—I just see the move to raise the bass shelf by 6dB as a step towards Harman tuning, and as someone who owns the HEKse and the HEK Stealth, and until recently the Arya Stealth, I really champion this move towards a punchier bass as they have implemented in the Arya Organic, Ananda Stealth and the HEK Stealth as a great step in the direction towards abandoning the old school “reference” tuning (ie flat, rolled off bass) in favor of a more versatile listening experience overall—certainly for those of us who like rock and other modern genres.

I’m anticipating that with these major price slashes and the discontinuation of the HEKV2 and non-Stealth Aryas/Anandas that we’ll likely see a retuned HEKse and Edition XS in the near future as well—and my goodness the almost eight year old, prehistorically insensitive and downright bass-deficient Susvara is absolutely crying for a refresh—it still baffles me that they’re keeping that thing priced at $6,000 when they’ve introduced so many innovative advances in their oval pad (and far better IMO) product line!

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #10,535 of 11,923
6dB rise in the bass shelf.
I doubt this. Any measurement to back this up ?
graph (1).png

To be fair, the guy who measured this say it's bassier than it looks.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #10,536 of 11,923
Kind of music is irrelevant. When people talk about soundstage, they talk about headphone's inherent staging, not the music.

I find it funny when people try to asses soundstage with binaural or special tracks. I think it's a terminology problem. Some people say soundstage, some say imaging, some say presentation, some say separation etc... When people see ''soundstage'' i think people think about different things.

Arya Stealth doesn't really have that big soundstage. It's not a bad thing. It's just the style of the headphone. That's how Arya Stealth presents the sound. It has a strong center image. It has a unique soundstage though. Doesn't sound like traditional headphones. It's like a miniature speaker set up on your head but the room is more like a corridor with high ceilings.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #10,537 of 11,923
Kind of music is irrelevant. When people talk about soundstage, they talk about headphone's inherent staging, not the music.

I find it funny when people try to asses soundstage with binaural or special tracks. I think it's a terminology problem. Some people say soundstage, some say imaging, some say presentation, some say separation etc... When people see ''soundstage'' i think people think about different things.

Arya Stealth doesn't really have that big soundstage. It's not a bad thing. It's just the style of the headphone. That's how Arya Stealth presents the sound. It has a strong center image. It has a unique soundstage though. Doesn't sound like traditional headphones. It's like a miniature speaker set up on your head but the room is more like a corridor with high ceilings.
Of course it's relevant. It should reflect the intended presentation. If i'm listening to a four piece band in a small environment the sound should be close, it shouldn't sound like it's coming from a concert hall. Much like most studio things, the main stuff is centralized, the main vocal slightly off to left or right. Softer stuff should be more airy and float, but when it swells it should hit you faster/harder. not be all lazy and floaty still, nonsense. That is the inability of the headphone. I find all the stealth versions give you a more realistic musical performance (albeit to their various levels). So if you want that then get a stealth, if not, there is the V2.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #10,540 of 11,923
Big sound stage doesn't always mean it is good and right. Even in cup reflections, which are actually a bad thing, can cause such an effect. There are DSP plug-ins, for example, that manipulate the phase, frequency response etc. to give an impression of a larger stage, like the one below. So often for the high end HPs it is not about how much stage information it can "carve out" from the audio signal but how it can manipulate the signal (be raising the treble, for example) to give the impression of a larger stage..

1691045076997.png

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #10,542 of 11,923
I really don't understand why Hifiman, as a Chinese headphone brand, has not yet launched arya organic in China. If I want to buy this headphone, I have to go overseas and pay high shipping fees and duties.
I ask the same question. Such things arrive to the EU often late, so I placed an order through my contacts, from China, and it is not deliverable.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #10,543 of 11,923
I ask the same question. Such things arrive to the EU often late, so I placed an order through my contacts, from China, and it is not deliverable.
So far, there is no way to buy Organic version in China, only Stealth version.
What I mean is that the official store of Hifiman does not have this product, not that you can buy it but the merchant cannot ship it

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #10,544 of 11,923
So far, there is no way to buy Organic version in China, only Stealth version.
What I mean is that the official store of Hifiman does not have this product, not that you can buy it but the merchant cannot ship it
I frankly don't know where they are getting it from. I got from them so many other things before, so they are definitely trustworthy. I was offered to cancel it but I'd rather wait a 2-3 weeks more before giving up.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #10,545 of 11,923
I agree that the two headphones are quite different in tuning—I just see the move to raise the bass shelf by 6dB as a step towards Harman tuning, and as someone who owns the HEKse and the HEK Stealth, and until recently the Arya Stealth, I really champion this move towards a punchier bass as they have implemented in the Arya Organic, Ananda Stealth and the HEK Stealth as a great step in the direction towards abandoning the old school “reference” tuning (ie flat, rolled off bass) in favor of a more versatile listening experience overall—certainly for those of us who like rock and other modern genres.

I’m anticipating that with these major price slashes and the discontinuation of the HEKV2 and non-Stealth Aryas/Anandas that we’ll likely see a retuned HEKse and Edition XS in the near future as well—and my goodness the almost eight year old, prehistorically insensitive and downright bass-deficient Susvara is absolutely crying for a refresh—it still baffles me that they’re keeping that thing priced at $6,000 when they’ve introduced so many innovative advances in their oval pad (and far better IMO) product line!
The Susvara is not bass deficient to me. The sub bass on the Susvara is some of the best I ever heard from a headphone. The Susvara has a larger than life (grander) and more infused bass within the track. Meaning instruments like the cello and other stringed instruments resonate with detailed and refined sub bass. I assume it's going to depend on the amp you use though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back