HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #10,186 of 11,919
Hmmmmmm......... I'm listening to it on Amazon HD now (I also listened to your included version). Cymbals sound phased. Bass is definitely full and deep, but I'm not getting what I'd call sub-bass rumble. As the layers add on, it stays full and deep, and the kick drum is certainly present....... and the bass is rumbling..... but I'm not hearing/feeling stuff down below 20 hz or so. I mean, it produces the bass on there very effortlessly, but I'm not feeling sub bass. I like electronic music too (I play many hardware and software synths). Let me play around and see what I can hear with these : )

EDIT: Just checked the Arya Organics with a tone generator, and not sure if it was the limit of the headphones or my hearing, but they do extremely well down to 26 hz, and I can still feel the pulses at 23 hz, pretty much over by 20 hz. That's about the same that I get with m Audeze LCD-4.

The Organics also have no issues playing Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, and with those ultra low bass notes at a good volume as well. Quite lovely. Just now listening to "Milkyway" by Curbi, and the Organic capture the dynamics quite well, with lows and highs in good balance.

Oh, and since I'm comparing the Organics to my LCD-4, while the LCD-4 is heavier, the pads on the LCD-4 are just so soft and luxurious, while the pads on the Organic are "ok". Fit and finish on the Organics is fine, no issues, and the clamping force is perfect, not to much, but just enough to stay perfectly in place when you start to bop with the music. Ok, I'm outa here. I'm working all day tomorrow, see you'all Sunday.
Thank you for the great review, makes me look forward to using mine! Still waiting on mine, I don't even know an ETA yet.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #10,187 of 11,919
Box.jpg
Inside-Box.jpg
Organic-Headphones-on-bed.jpg
Cable.jpg

Initial impressions right out of the box were quite favorable, but after only 2 hours of assorted music/pink noise I can hear a vast improvement. I think the telling sign at this point is that I don't want to take them off, and this is listening to Metallica which I'm not necessarily a fan of (I mostly listen to jazz and classical, but I play bass in a rock band).

Now Smashing Pumpkins are playing (Bullet With Butterfly Wings), tom drums sound full and punchy, bass is perfect, very full sound, very much in my head, not super wide, but wide enough. All instruments sound good. Vocals are full. Bass is very present, but not boomy, perfect. Dang, turn it up : )

More Metallica (Enter Sandman). Very full. Very clear. Punchy. Kick drum front and center. A real head banger song it really does sound good.

Ok, enough of that..... I need some jazz..........wait, Peal Jam (Even Flow), again, very full. Vocals and guitars are perfect. Drums cut through, and the bass is perfectly balanced where it needs to be (I play bass). Good texture on the bass guitar. Everything is balanced really well. The top end is clear and present and distinct, but never hot. It doesn't hurt to have it loud.

Ok, here's some Samara Joy (Can't get out of this Mood). Again, nice balance, man, the stand up bass is so sweet, the texture is spot on, vocal is full, drums are sparkly with nice cymbal splashes and piano is full and clear. Perfect. Here's Laufey (Falling Behind). Again, the bass is incredibly full and deep, but not boomy, just full. Vocal is spot on, centered and the perfect level and tonality. What a pleasure to listen to.

Well, that's enough for now..... I think you get the idea...... it's been a bit over 2 hours since I unboxed these and so far they sound amazing. I haven't heard any sibilance in the vocals, and yet the highs are all there, clear, clean and sparkly, and the bass..... oh baby, the bass..... man oh man, the bass, seriously. I can't wait to try Flight of the Hippo.

By the way, this is all just listening to Amazon Music HD on my 2011 Mac Mini going into my Focusrite Scarlett 18i0i20 audio interface, which has two headphone outputs.
Oh, the soundstage...... it's very song dependent, but at this point, it's reasonably wide, but not the super wide I heard with the HEK1000v2. I'm not getting a lot of depth front or back right now, mostly on a plane going through my head, but I will say this, all the instruments are easy to pick out and are solidly placed and very distinct on that plane.

I'll report back Sunday night with an update.
Let me know if any of these gives you da rumble you're seeking :

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #10,189 of 11,919
Need to swing by the local audio store and try these out once they land! I enjoyed the Arya Stealth but for whatever reason the treble did not play nice with my ear holes and was oddly fatiguing.
Funnily enough I didn’t get the same issues with HD800S when I demoed them side by side.

Initial impressions I’ve read seem to point to the Organics having a slightly more relaxed upper end.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #10,190 of 11,919
My new Arya has 125 hours on it now and it really sounds great, very happy! :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #10,192 of 11,919
Need to swing by the local audio store and try these out once they land! I enjoyed the Arya Stealth but for whatever reason the treble did not play nice with my ear holes and was oddly fatiguing.
Funnily enough I didn’t get the same issues with HD800S when I demoed them side by side.

Initial impressions I’ve read seem to point to the Organics having a slightly more relaxed upper end.
I love this headphone. that is all. There may be better headphones, but I just love everything about this headphone lol

I'm waiting for mine and I'm just curious about what you like about them and how they compare to some of your other headphones.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #10,193 of 11,919
I'm waiting for mine and I'm just curious about what you like about them and how they compare to some of your other headphones.

What I like about them is they are really balanced across the board. I like their comfort, I like their bass and detail retrieval, soundstage, timbre, tuning, everything is quite well done. I also like how they look, the greenish diaphram tint and the windowshade. Other headphones I have are better in some areas or worse in others, or have a certain sound - like the Empyreans could be said to have better bass and probably better imaging than these, but they're also "Warm" and have some mid-range recession even with the Elite pads which improve them (Personally, I think they designed that platform for too thick pad depth IMO - you can see this even on the elite where the half-width pads reduce the range of the headphone's adjustable headband which was designed for the double thickness of the original Empyrean pads. Meze is more new to headphones so it's to be expected). The HD800 had incredible soundstage, detail and comfort but it was too aggressive in presence and brilliance regions. Fatigue is the enemy of long sessions. Bass wasn't good compared to planars. Focal Utopia was incredible at detail, imaging and dynamism on bass slam but tiny soundstage (HD600 like) and fatiguing on precise, cool, analytical equipment like the Hugo 2. Most of the "most detailed" headphones become too fatiguing if your DAC is good enough unless you warm it up somehow.

On the downside, they are rather Utilitarian when it comes to build quality. It's "just good enough" but the price is well worth it, they punch above their price quite a bit. Also I do like how Hifiman as a company accomodate exchanges, upgrades and repairs, which many companies, including Focal and Meze, make you jump through hoops ("go to your 'authorized' dealer to ask for repair"). Well what if I got it on the grey market because I didn't want to pay 4k ? you should still repair your product if it wasn't second hand, if you got it out of a factory box brand new, without making me go to a dealer (where everything is MSRP).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #10,194 of 11,919
What I like about them is they are really balanced across the board. I like their comfort, I like their bass and detail retrieval, soundstage, timbre, tuning, everything is quite well done. I also like how they look, the greenish diaphram tint and the windowshade. Other headphones I have are better in some areas or worse in others, or have a certain sound - like the Empyreans could be said to have better bass and probably better imaging than these, but they're also "Warm" and have some mid-range recession even with the Elite pads which improve them (Personally, I think they designed that platform for too thick pad depth IMO - you can see this even on the elite where the half-width pads reduce the range of the headphone's adjustable headband which was designed for the double thickness of the original Empyrean pads. Meze is more new to headphones so it's to be expected). The HD800 had incredible soundstage, detail and comfort but it was too aggressive in presence and brilliance regions. Fatigue is the enemy of long sessions. Bass wasn't good compared to planars. Focal Utopia was incredible at detail, imaging and dynamism on bass slam but tiny soundstage (HD600 like) and fatiguing on precise, cool, analytical equipment like the Hugo 2. Most of the "most detailed" headphones become too fatiguing if your DAC is good enough unless you warm it up somehow.

On the downside, they are rather Utilitarian when it comes to build quality. It's "just good enough" but the price is well worth it, they punch above their price quite a bit. Also I do like how Hifiman as a company accomodate exchanges, upgrades and repairs, which many companies, including Focal and Meze, make you jump through hoops ("go to your 'authorized' dealer to ask for repair"). Well what if I got it on the grey market because I didn't want to pay 4k ? you should still repair your product if it wasn't second hand, if you got it out of a factory box brand new, without making me go to a dealer (where everything is MSRP).

Thank you for the detailed rundown Tradyblix. It's greatly appreciated. I'm antsy for mine to come in the mail!

Its good to hear you liked all of the Organic's qualities across the board. When I bought mine I was hoping for good soundstage/details while not being too thin with lush sound throughout the frequencies, based on my experience with Arya's in the past and hifiman's product description. I tried the HD800 once and it could have been what I was driving it before I upgraded my amp but it just felt so thin and shrill I couldnt enjoy them. Looking for an HD800S-2 to fix that because I'm crazy about soundstage.

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #10,195 of 11,919
Yeah dac/amp synergy is a big thing with headphones that people forget when describing then. If you have multiple sources you know how different your headphones can sound with different equipment. That's why it's good to have more than a single source to listen from. I think everyone should have at least one solid state amp and one tube amp for the differences. and a couple different dacs.

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #10,196 of 11,919
Thank you for the detailed rundown Tradyblix. It's greatly appreciated. I'm antsy for mine to come in the mail!

Its good to hear you liked all of the Organic's qualities across the board. When I bought mine I was hoping for good soundstage/details while not being too thin with lush sound throughout the frequencies, based on my experience with Arya's in the past and hifiman's product description. I tried the HD800 once and it could have been what I was driving it before I upgraded my amp but it just felt so thin and shrill I couldnt enjoy them. Looking for an HD800S-2 to fix that because I'm crazy about soundstage.

I don't think he has the Organic, at least according to his sig.

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #10,198 of 11,919
Sorry I assumed he just didnt update his sig because we were talking about the Organic and I may have got confused. Maybe he could clear this up if he shows a pic of his Organic Arya's with a USDA Organic sticker.
He said "greenish diaphram tint" so I think is the stealth...

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #10,200 of 11,919
Anyone have DSP recommendation for Arya v3? My set has 130 hours on it now, and the resolution is really kicking in:)... I gave it a 3db shelf boost at 65KHz down in Roon...that made the bass a bit more satisfying... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back