HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 19, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #9,886 of 11,880
Recently I've been using the 660S2 for the past couple weeks and I really love it. Went from the Piety to my D10b+A30 Pro setup and it has great synergy with that stack! Which brings me to swapping over to the Arya v2 (with dekoni hybrid pads). Usually I use my Modi+Asgard 3 stack but I didn't feel like swapping over setups and just grabbed my Arya and stuck it in the A30 Pro. Honestly sounds awesome. Between medium and high gain I think I prefer high gain on both setups. I was a little afraid that the A30 Pro wouldn't go too well with my Arya but sure enough it does. Between my Schiit and Topping setups I'm at a bit of a fork in the road for which one I like more! Which tbh is a good thing it's nice to have a couple setups that are good enough to not complain about anything. Good to have a backup stack in general too. But yeah Asgard and Arya on high gain and A30 Pro and Arya on high gain are fantastic. There's something about the A30 Pro that I love it's just got this real "powerful" sound to it. Same for Asgard but currently I'm just really gushing over and enjoying the A30 Pro. Real nice and clean sound but like I said has this "powerful" sound to it, it's a bit tricky to describe for me but, if you know, you know, I suppose haha.
Wait till you try out a discrete BAL Class A amp with the Aryas - you may be impressed above all your current HP amps.....

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #9,887 of 11,880
Anyone have any experience running the Arya on tubes? I am looking at getting the new Arya Organic but I want to run it on tubes and I know lower ohm headphones do not work well with tubes but I have never tried it before as all my other headphones are at least 150ohms.

May 19, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #9,888 of 11,880
Wait till you try out a discrete BAL Class A amp with the Aryas - you may be impressed above all your current HP amps.....
Should I replace asgard with a singxer sa1 perhaps? I already have a d30 pro for balanced o:

May 19, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #9,889 of 11,880
Anyone have any experience running the Arya on tubes? I am looking at getting the new Arya Organic but I want to run it on tubes and I know lower ohm headphones do not work well with tubes but I have never tried it before as all my other headphones are at least 150ohms.
I run my Arya Stealth from a Quicksilver Tube Headphone amp with Gold Lion tubes all around. The timbre is much more natural out of tubes, while opening up the soundstage even further. Really amazing combo.

The Quicksilver has an output transformer which results in a low output impedance of 2 ohms.

The Arya Stealth's 32ohms vs the 2ohms give a ratio of 16:1 which is enough. It certainly sounds like it doesn't impact tightness.

I have some concern about the new Organic's 16 ohms being less compatible.

I've been looking for other low output impedance tube amps without much luck. Looks like the next step up is perhaps the MICROZOTL MZ3 at triple the price.

May 19, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #9,890 of 11,880
No experience yet, but strongly considering a pair with my SEX. Seems the SEX isn't talked about all that much these days but I still find it to be a capable performer.

May 19, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #9,891 of 11,880
Tubes are not that good with them, but what you could do is get something like a ifi ican or idsd signature, tube and solid state. Or a dac with tube stage and a decent solid state. Planars mostly run nicer on more power (not to run them loud but to have control over the planar driver)

May 20, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #9,894 of 11,880
My head 2 does wonderfully with Planars

May 20, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #9,895 of 11,880
No experience yet, but strongly considering a pair with my SEX. Seems the SEX isn't talked about all that much these days but I still find it to be a capable performer.
The S.E.X. is supremely underrated. I've been through a pile of low and mid-fi tube amps over the last decade but I've only kept one and that's the S.E.X.

If I ever replace it, it will be for a ZOTL, but honestly I don't see the point. The S.E.X. performs so well, and you can even tap the speaker posts to drive high-effency speakers or when you need more power for hard-to-drive headphones. With the CS4 upgrade, it can drive almost any headphone at all impedances.

Maybe the one strike against it is that tube rolling does next to nothing to the sound... but this also means you can save quite a bit of money by not having to roll tubes as the sound is great with most any decent 6FJ7 tube.

May 20, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #9,896 of 11,880

Out of WA22, the Arya v2 runs pretty well. Plenty of headroom at 11 o'clock on the pot, not that much higher on the knob than any other headphones I've tried. Those get to the same volume at anywhere from 9:00 to 10:00. As far as sound goes, these tubes bring the mids forward a bit and adds some warmth to the upper bass, both things that go well with the Arya tuning. The treble rolls off more and there's less detail on the upper end, but that taming makes the Arya more chilled. The Arya does lose some impact and resolution in the low end. The sub-bass hits more like a tap than a punch, and the mid-bass is less defined and clear. Vocals can get shouty and sibilant sometimes, which has never struck me before as an issue with these headphones. The sound overall sounds more saturated and less ethereal, but that also means some flabbiness in the bass and some glare in the mids. High-z has less of this effect that low-z, but the difference isn't much. It's a good pairing, IMO, but I'd still go with a class A solid state amp or something with current mode amplification instead to get a richer feel to the Arya sound.

May 20, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #9,897 of 11,880
I am actually quite interested in this new 'Organic' revision. 'Oval' HiFiMan sound with its impressive spaciousness was always somewhat too diffuse to me, I prefer a more focused and more impactful sound even if it comes at a cost of a smaller soundstage. That said, I see why Arya in all its iterations has become one of the most popular hits for the price. I also found the treble just a bit too bright and shiny for my taste.
This new 'Organic' revision seems to address a good chunk of these issues. To me it sounds like HiFiMan's answer to the critics who said the Arya is thin and bright. I imagine the 'Organic' Arya to be thicker in texture and warmer or at least less bright in the treble region. This might come at a price of a slightly smaller space, but I do not think that is a problem as the Arya has plenty of space to cut back from.
I hope, I can review this new 'Organic' version soon.

May 21, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #9,898 of 11,880
IMG_20230519_120804.jpg

I think that we should start a new thread because this one looks and sounds different.

May 21, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #9,899 of 11,880
This kind of question make me glad finally Hifiman put additional name for Arya. Not just update the product with sam official name.

HE1000SE would be a little more similar to Arya Stealth in term of tonal balance, while HE1000v2 Stealth is the brightest sounding among 3 headphones. Technical wise, HE1000SE is on top.
I demo’d those 3 yesterday. V2 stealth was way too hot in the treble. The se was marginally better than the Arya, but not 2K better.. bought the Arya and love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back