HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 18, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #9,871 of 11,920
Why not just apply a little EQ to them? You can even add a bass shelf while you’re at it :wink:
This is what I do, but there are a lot of people who are not fans of EQ as you can see
Not a fan of EQ unfortunately, I rather do physical tweaks.
The next thing to try is a cable swap. Go with a good all copper cable. Just remember that all cables are not made the same. They all attenuate certain frequencies. You just have find the one that works best with your headphones. You could try a cloth type filter to see if that can tame the highs, but it may alter some other frequencies in the process.

I use a Shiit Lokius and it's the easiest way to tweak the sound that I have tried. Everything is done in the analog domain so the sound remains distortion free. Not sure of what else you can do or try with Hifiman headphones.

May 18, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #9,872 of 11,920
Has anyone ever tried some kind of mod to smooth out the treble on Hifiman cans?

The ZMF Caldera has a particular affixable "mesh" that can smooth out the treble.
Maybe something like this can be done with Aryas or HE1000s?
The easiest way is swapping to Dekoni Elite hybrid pads, they take down the treble in a lineal way (I posted my measurements in Dekoni’s Hifiman thread).

May 18, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #9,873 of 11,920
Has anyone ever tried some kind of mod to smooth out the treble on Hifiman cans?

The ZMF Caldera has a particular affixable "mesh" that can smooth out the treble.
Maybe something like this can be done with Aryas or HE1000s?
Here it is:

Attachments

• IMG_9813.jpeg
    IMG_9813.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 0
May 18, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #9,874 of 11,920
May 18, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #9,877 of 11,920
It looks closer than it sounds, the difference in sound is quite obvious, with the Dekonis Arya sounds very close to the Harman curve.
Arya v2 with dekoni hybrid is very nice I can confirm more comfy too especially as a glasses user. The stock pads have this atrocious fabric on the surface I honestly hate it. Dekoni pads have that same hybrid style the HE series has that I find MUCH better.

May 18, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #9,878 of 11,920
As someone who just bought the HEKv2 Stealth (brand new) to replace my Arya SE this is kind of confusing especially the price shopping situation as previously stated by another member.

I still haven't sold my Arya yet but nows probably the time. Im just kind of concerned the HEK Organic is next up cause that'd be seriously tempting.

It has me curious if theyre testing the waters before releasing something like the Susvara Organic.
Susvara is organic (sounding) already! :)

May 18, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #9,879 of 11,920
Susvara is organic (sounding) already! :)
And if you can get an organic sound for 1300 instead of 7000€ then it's Certainly a great release

May 18, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #9,880 of 11,920
Seemingly way better materials and lower price. If the Organic has the same soundstage and manages do slightly reduce the heat in the treble, this thing could be my dream.

But of course those kinds of releases with reduced prices are kind of screw over current owners

May 18, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #9,881 of 11,920
And if you can get an organic sound for 1300 instead of 7000€ then it's Certainly a great release
yes, V3 was not far away, but that hot treble... :frowning2:

May 18, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #9,883 of 11,920
So I've had a chance to compare Arya v1, v2, v3, HE1000v2 (non-stealth), and the HE1000SE recently. I can honestly say they all have that "HE1000 driver" sound. I would personally argue that this is the same driver, tuned and re-tuned differently over and over. I personally do not feel there is any massive improvement to be found going from any one of these models to any other model (even Arya v1 to HE1000SE). I know it might sound crazy and hard to believe because reviewers speak differently but I personally found that there were differences and trade-offs but not necessarily that "big jump" where I'd be able to call it a true "upgrade". If you want a real "upgrade" you honestly need to buy a Susvara. I compared Susvara against these models and yes.. Susvara is a REAL upgrade; and a worthy one too even at the crazy dollar figure. But Arya v1/2/3 HEKv2/HEKSE ... you're just trying to find your "favorite tuning" at that point. Those are my personal thoughts and feelings after having had TRIED these products myself. Please keep in mind, I have a very powerful hybrid tube amp that makes my V1 / V2 Arya really open up and produce the best sound that it is capable of. I personally doubt that "most" people have heard how good Arya v1/2 can actually sound when it's being properly amp'd.

These are my impressions but YMMV.. take it all with a grain of salt.. we all have different ears and preferences.
Yeah there is definitely a gap between Ananda and Arya but Arya and up seems to be using similar drivers. Headphone design, material and fit also have a big impact on the subjective perception of the sound so more premium builds have a bit of a leg up.

My issue is less that HiFiMan releases such frequent iterations of headphones, but that I have no confidence that HiFiMan makes these iterations to actually improve their headphones.
It's clear the goal is creating some hype and viral traffic. Fomo for some people etc... I'm sure this strategy boost their sales massively.

May 18, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #9,885 of 11,920
Hey fellow headfiers who've owned the Arya stealth and non-stealth versions, could you tell me if the soundstage on the non-stealth is much wider than the stealth? I recently picked up a pair of HD800s and I absolutely love the wide soundstage. I haven't listened to the Arya Stealth much since I got the Senns, everytime I put them on I find the soundstage on the Aryas to be just tall but not very wide. I want something to accompany the HD800s for certain genres that require a bit more punch, but I still want the wide soundstage. Would the Arya V2s be what I am looking for?
A lot of the SS width of the Arya Stealth depends on if they're broken-in/burned-in and how the musical selection you're playing is recorded, mixed, and/or mastered. IOW, it's rather chameleon-like instead of always being wide, distanced, and sort of "small" sounding instruments like the HD800S and other "wide" HPs.....

Also, the Arya V2 generally has much better bass depth and slightly better dynamics than the hd800s - but the bass dynamics is mostly only brought out when they're driven with more powerful discrete Class A or Class AB power amps. When they're driven with low powered or IC/THX type amps, they're pretty lean and undynamic - and they're not very natural sounding. The Arya Stealth improves on both bass dynamics and naturalness out of the box, IMO.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back