HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #9,331 of 11,881
Do you always EQ? I find that EQ actually takes away from my listening experiences with the Arya - even Equalizer APO. It does something with their details - something like limiting the absolute details from them - like the trailing edges of notes don't fully come through......
Yes. I always EQ with Arya. The details or sharpness was causing fatigue so I suppressed them using EQ. Now I find my Arya lot more better. In fact to me it seems they are performing about 90-95% of my sound of preference. So any more changes like different DAC/Amps are not making day and night kind of difference. Will check on LPS, Super Charger for Soloist or separate DDC or separate Network streamer to check if these add good values? Upgrading to HeKSE is another option.
Will see where I go further with upgraditis or in search of that Godly sound that will someday blow my mind :)

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #9,332 of 11,881
I'm not a physicist so that's a moot point. I don't remember what amp you're using, but generally if it's well less than ~1W with a moderately inefficient planar - you may be getting some volume but your bass will be thinner and less dynamic than if you were to use an amp that has more voltage and current capability (with planars requiring more current than dynamics for proper bass). While your volume may be loud-ish - when a long, sustained bass note hits, it won't have nearly the impact that planars are known for. In my experience, it's better to have "too much" power than juuust enough, which in reality - is not enough. That goes for speakers as well as HPs......
I'm not a physicist either but I've taken several college level physics courses and I understand things like conservation of energy.

You're not using that power. It's not "in reserve" for your bass notes. It doesn't contribute to impact or dynamics. If you have a 500 mW amp and a 5 W amp driving headphones at the same volume, there's no inherent reason to believe the 5 W amp will sound better. It could just by the nature of different amps having different coloration, transient response, etc. But it's just as likely the 500 mW amp will be the better sounding one.

I've driven my Arya with a JDS Atom Amp+ (1 W max), NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety (1 W), and Questyle M15 (probably around 215 mW). And as far as impact goes, they're all fairly close, but the M15 sounds better than the JDS and the Piety sounds better than both of them. But the Piety sounding better than the Atom Amp+ is obviously not due to power since it has the same amount, and same with the M15 sounding better than the Atom Amp+ since it has less. So the Piety sounding better than the M15 is, at least partially, not due to power, even though it has almost 5 times the amount (which is really only a 6.7 dB increase in max volume).

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #9,333 of 11,881
Yes. I always EQ with Arya. The details or sharpness was causing fatigue so I suppressed them using EQ. Now I find my Arya lot more better. In fact to me it seems they are performing about 90-95% of my sound of preference. So any more changes like different DAC/Amps are not making day and night kind of difference. Will check on LPS, Super Charger for Soloist or separate DDC or separate Network streamer to check if these add good values? Upgrading to HeKSE is another option.
Will see where I go further with upgraditis or in search of that Godly sound that will someday blow my mind :)
I am also searching for 'Godly sound'.
Have you tried HqPlayer? There is a free trial.
If you still have access to an Ares 2 - you should give it a try.
https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html
The Ares 2 is on the recommended hardware list for HqPlayer.

You can upsample to DSD 1024 - which will completely change the sound signature (for better or worst - it's personal preference). I find that upsampling to DSD 512 or higher gives a more defined sense of separation, and layering. Sounds more analog.
Plus there are hundreds of different filter combinations inside HqPlayer - you can initially lose yourself for hours until you fine-tune your personal preference.
Reading their forum also helps.
But you need a very good computer to upsample to DSD 1024.

My computer (AMD 5900x and RTX 3080) can upsample to DSD 512 and GPU utilization is at 100% and ~30% load on all 12 CPU cores. This is probably why my PC generates electrical interference.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #9,334 of 11,881
So the headband on my Arya is starting to fall apart and one of the earpads has a rip in it.

Is it true Hifiman does not sell the headband for the Arya? I heard some people are using Audeze headbands instead? Any good guides on that?

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #9,335 of 11,881
So the headband on my Arya is starting to fall apart and one of the earpads has a rip in it.

Is it true Hifiman does not sell the headband for the Arya? I heard some people are using Audeze headbands instead? Any good guides on that?
So if I understand correctly, the materials used already questionable, don’t sell replacement parts, and taking the short warranty period into account… that is a joke! I didn’t knew that! Makes me rethink the hifiman stuff

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #9,336 of 11,881
So if I understand correctly, the materials used already questionable, don’t sell replacement parts, and taking the short warranty period into account… that is a joke! I didn’t knew that! Makes me rethink the hifiman stuff

You aren't wrong. There are horror stories on reddit about trying to get service for Aryas and others. I don't know how much of that is true or just people on the internet talking smack.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #9,337 of 11,881
You aren't wrong. There are horror stories on reddit about trying to get service for Aryas and others. I don't know how much of that is true or just people on the internet talking smack.
I can’t speak for everyone, but i damaged my aryas beyond repair and well out of warranty, and Hifiman gave me exellent customer service, gave me a brand new set for 500 bucks, that’s over 60% off a new set for my mistake. Hats off to them for that.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #9,338 of 11,881
I can’t speak for everyone, but i damaged my aryas beyond repair and well out of warranty, and Hifiman gave me exellent customer service, gave me a brand new set for 500 bucks, that’s over 60% off a new set for my mistake. Hats off to them for that.
Neither can I speak for everyone, but each time I have sought any kind of customer service from Hifiman, I have received nothing less than treatment I would gladly characterize as "red carpet." Those services include getting the first He-500 I ever bought--from an authorized dealer--replaced directly by Hifiman Customer service (because I was getting audio cutouts in one of the ear-cups); getting my first He-1000--which I purchased pre-owned and warranty-less from another Head-fi user--upgraded to the He-1000se (hifiman accepted to do the upgrade without asking any questions about where I got the original He-1000 from). I finally also got a generous trade-in price when I asked--two years later--to have my He-1000se traded in for the Susvara.

I do see the point of those who have occasional issues or complaints about the build quality of some Hifiman cans (for whatever reasons), but Hifiman Customer service has always been superbly courteous, very professional, and even generous with me. Just my perspective.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #9,340 of 11,881
A month ago I finally bought the Susvara and also got a chance to spend some time with the Arya se and Hekse. I started the quest here, so I think I'll end it in this forum as well.

Arya v2 - The first truly satisfactory headphone I bought, that I can use hours and hours without fatigue. If I have not ventured into the upper models, I will be satisfied with it till the end.
HE1000 v2 - Initially taken aback a little due to its vocal forwardness, but after a month of brain in, I found myself to prefer its presentation to the Arya v2. It has a kind of airiness that I really appreciate. It makes you feel like you are in the same space as the singer.
Susvara - What can I say? It doesn't have as much airiness as the HEKv2, but it has the sound-stage depth and spaciousness that the others lacked. It has a thick and clear musical presentation while the other two maybe noted as comparatively thin. All traces of sibilant are gone.
HE1000 SE - Nice bass, a bit too bright for me, sound stage is obviously smaller but not as closed-in as I thought it to be. Nice airy and smooth vocals as well.
Arya SE - Powerful everything, really bright, in-your-head sound stage, in-your-face presentation that's too aggressive for me personally, lacks the smoothness of HE1000 SE.

For unqualified direct sound quality upgrades:
Arya v2 -> Susvara
Arya SE -> HE1000 SE

For qualified upgrades:
Arya v2 -> HE1000 v2 : if you are fine with or can brain-in the vocal forwardness
HE1000 v2 -> Susvara : be aware that vocal apparent "presence" is dialed back a bit
HE1000 SE -> Susvara: if you are willing to allow compromises, e.g. slightly weaker bass

(Note: the HE1000 v2 I am talking about here is the non-stealth version.)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #9,341 of 11,881
A month ago I finally bought the Susvara and also got a chance to spend some time with the Arya se and Hekse. I started the quest here, so I think I'll end it in this forum as well.

Arya v2 - The first truely satisfactory headphone I bought, that I can use hours and hours without fatique. If I have not ventured into the upper models, I can use it till the end.
HE1000 v2 - Initially taken aback a little due to its vocal forwardness, but after a month of brain in, I found myself to prefer its presentation than the Arya v2. It has a kind of airiness that I really appreciate. It makes you feel like you are in the same space as the singer.
Susvara - What can I say? It doesn't have as much airiness as the HEKv2, but it has the sound-stage depth and spaciousness that the others lacked. It has a thick and clear musical presentation while the other two maybe noted as comparitively thin. All traces of sibilant are gone.
HE1000 SE - Nice bass, a bit too bright for me, sound stage is obviously smaller but not as closed-in as I thought it to be. Nice airy and smooth vocals as well.
Arya SE - Powerful everything, really bright, in-your-head sound stage, in-your-face presentation that's too agressive for me personally, lacks the smoothness of HE1000 SE.

Arya v2 -> Susvara
Arya SE -> HE1000 SE

For qualified upgrades:
Arya v2 -> HE1000 v2 : if you are fine with or can brain-in the vocal forwardness
HE1000 v2 -> Susvara : be aware that vocal apparent "presence" is dialed back a bit
HE1000 SE -> Susvara: if you are willing to allow compromises, e.g. slightly weaker bass

Quite informative comparisons! Two questions:
1. How was Susvara driven? Using what Amp?
2. What are unqualified and qualified upgrades?

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #9,342 of 11,881
Impulsively picked these up on sale, and I'm kinda blown away by them. Awesome speed and imaging, and massive soundstage. It works great for all genres, even thevery fast/technical metal I listen to most of the time. Really glad I took a chance, it's a very nice complement to my ZMF Auteur's!

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #9,343 of 11,881
The Arya Stealths arrived today!

Got a little worried at first when the outer shipping box said "Arya v2" on them but the actual product box has the Stealth sticker.

Having plenty of fun tonight listening to a bunch of my favorite Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree tracks.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #9,344 of 11,881
Quite informative comparisons! Two questions:
1. How was Susvara driven? Using what Amp?
2. What are unqualified and qualified upgrades?
1. Pontus II NOS mode feed into Soloist 3x gt, high gain.
2. Unqualified means that I think it's a definitive and nothings holds back upgrade in sound quality. For qualified upgrade I mean some aspects may see a reduction in quality while gaining in other aspects, but it certainly depends on each listener's preferences.

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #9,345 of 11,881

Arya v2 - The first truly satisfactory headphone I bought, that I can use hours and hours without fatigue. If I have not ventured into the upper models, I will be satisfied with it till the end.
HE1000 v2 - Initially taken aback a little due to its vocal forwardness, but after a month of brain in, I found myself to prefer its presentation to the Arya v2. It has a kind of airiness that I really appreciate. It makes you feel like you are in the same space as the singer.
Susvara - What can I say? It doesn't have as much airiness as the HEKv2, but it has the sound-stage depth and spaciousness that the others lacked. It has a thick and clear musical presentation while the other two maybe noted as comparatively thin. All traces of sibilant are gone.
Arya SE - Powerful everything, really bright, in-your-head sound stage, in-your-face presentation that's too aggressive for me personally, lacks the smoothness of HE1000 SE.

Arya v2 -> Susvara
Arya SE -> HE1000 SE

For qualified upgrades:

Thanks for the comparison, very informative.
It seems for mortals like me (who can't afford the Susvara) the HE1000SE and Arya V2 combo might be the best compromise.
If you were to keep only one of them, excluding the Susvara, which one would it be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back