HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #9,048 of 11,884
I've been listening to the Caldera for the past week (review sample) and the Arya v2 is getting sold. The Caldera has such incredible clarity and body that it makes the Arya sound grainy and thin when I switch to it. I'm thinking of getting an Aeolus in the sale just because it's the only one I don't have yet.
I would hope so at their price lol. How do they compare to the Verite or Autuer?

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #9,049 of 11,884
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #9,050 of 11,884
don't want to hijack, but there is a Caldera thread but not a lot of comments yet about those comparisons. I have both of those but haven't been able to pull myself of the Caldera to compare just yet. More detailed than both, not as mid-forward at the Auteur but more so than the Verite.
How would you say they compare to the Arya Stealth?

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #9,051 of 11,884
Nov 19, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #9,053 of 11,884
I've been giving this some thought. I know the word "endgame" gets thrown around a lot. But no other headphone/setup has given me as much musical pleasure than this right here:

Audirvana -> Ares II -> A90D -> Arya V2

This could very well be a system that I keep with me for a lifetime. There's little to nothing that I would change from the FR and sound that I get out of it. No harshness, sibilance whatsoever. Imaging, texture, and layering is just immaculate. Synergy is just spot on. 👌 Just an immersive and analog experience. Like having a whole vinyl catalog right at my fingertips.

I have yet to build a system around the HE1000 V2 that sounds as good as this.
Hey just wondering are you running this balanced or RCA? I'm considering buying the Ares II for my A90D.

Has anyone here compared the A90D with Singxer SA-1?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #9,055 of 11,884
I couldn't get musical sound from the topping E70/L70 set with arya. Where do you think I went wrong?
Try copper cables, maybe eq something that is lacking? On another note, Topping units are very sharp in attack and if everything is very sharp in attack you get fatigued easily, Soundstage gives the illusion of "narrow soundstage''.
Maybe something Like Schiit Bifrost with full copper cabling will give you great synergy.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #9,056 of 11,884
Try copper cables, maybe eq something that is lacking? On another note, Topping units are very sharp in attack and if everything is very sharp in attack you get fatigued easily, Soundstage gives the illusion of "narrow soundstage''.
Maybe something Like Schiit Bifrost with full copper cabling will give you great synergy.
I couldn't get musical sound from the topping E70/L70 set with arya. Where do you think I went wrong?
As someone who had Topping amps and DACs for a bit, I cannot advocate for their sound if you're chasing something "musical." I would actually avoid delta sigma DACs altogether if you're trying to achieve a more relaxed sound with your Arya.

Having moved onto the Bifrost 2/64, I can't go back to a D/S DAC and find it as immersive. Even Schiit's own D/S DAC implementation can't compare to their multibit/R2R sound. I picked up the new Modi+ - along with a Magni+ - for a secondary "not really going to be analytically listening" setup and while it's a perfectly competent DAC, I wouldn't say that it makes my Arya sound nearly as good as it does on my primary Soloist 3XP/Mjolnir 2 + Bifrost 2/64 system.

I understand that I am comparing a $129 DAC to a $700+ one, (along with substantially more expensive amps) but it does measure and perform well, overall. It's just nowhere near "musical," and based on everything I've read over the years, R2R DACs tend to beat out D/S DACs for "musicality" at every price range.

Nov 19, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #9,057 of 11,884
As someone who had Topping amps and DACs for a bit, I cannot advocate for their sound if you're chasing something "musical." I would actually avoid delta sigma DACs altogether if you're trying to achieve a more relaxed sound with your Arya.

Having moved onto the Bifrost 2/64, I can't go back to a D/S DAC and find it as immersive. Even Schiit's own D/S DAC implementation can't compare to their multibit/R2R sound. I picked up the new Modi+ - along with a Magni+ - for a secondary "not really going to be analytically listening" setup and while it's a perfectly competent DAC, I wouldn't say that it makes my Arya sound nearly as good as it does on my primary Soloist 3XP/Mjolnir 2 + Bifrost 2/64 system.

I understand that I am comparing a $129 DAC to a $700+ one, (along with substantially more expensive amps) but it does measure and perform well, overall. It's just nowhere near "musical," and based on everything I've read over the years, R2R DACs tend to beat out D/S DACs for "musicality" at every price range.

I'm running my aryas through an E50 and L50 combo but I've had my eye out for the bifrost for a while. If I grab that what would you suggest for an amp? Jotun? L50 is only TRS not the full XLR input unfortunately. Part of my liking for topping is their overall aesthetic and design, I love that sleek black look and the size of the e50 and l50 is great for me personally. Nice and compact.

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #9,059 of 11,884
I'm running my aryas through an E50 and L50 combo but I've had my eye out for the bifrost for a while. If I grab that what would you suggest for an amp? Jotun? L50 is only TRS not the full XLR input unfortunately. Part of my liking for topping is their overall aesthetic and design, I love that sleek black look and the size of the e50 and l50 is great for me personally. Nice and compact

How much money are you willing to put towards audio gear?

What type of sound are you looking for?

If sleek aesthetics are also an important factor for you, you have to decide if you find Schiit's look "sleek." If you get the Jot 2 with the Bifrost it'll pair nicely, but it's definitely a different industrial design. I haven't listened to the Jot 2 personally, but I have heard many other Schiit amps and I tend to love the sound they produce in general - I can only imagine that the Jot 2 has an overall similar sound with a slightly "warm" tilt, which tends to sound enjoyable to my ears.

I can only personally talk about the Topping A90, Schiit Mjolnir 2, and Burson 3XP when it comes to amps I have paired with the Bifrost. In terms of enjoyability it's been Soloist 3XP (with super charger) > Mjolnir (with Gold Lion tubes) > A90. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the A90 either... that's why I sold it.

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #9,060 of 11,884
Holy smokes! I just bought an Arya V2 and I am absolutely loving these headphones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back