HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #8,836 of 11,919
I completely agree. I have both Arya Stealth and Edition XS: The bass is as yeboi described, on every amp I have tried them both.
The bass on edition XS lowers and tightens a bit by improving the clamp, but even then it does not reach the level of clarity and articulation of the Arya SE.
Anyway, like jacob I expected a bigger difference between Arya SE and Edition XS, seen the price point of both. But the SE is my most expensive HP ever, so I probably had unrealistic expectations. Law of diminuishing returns is real. Arya is great anyway, and I'm keeping both.
You'll get an accurate bass and sub bass sounds with the Arya SE, if it's long/deep you will hear it properly. What you won't get is a sloppy bass like you would with a slower driver.

Try a couple tracks as examples.

Makoto San's - Guadua and/or Gender

Kathleen Edwards - Goodnight California

Simon Goff, Katie Melua - Aerial Objects

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Perfume Genius - Spitting Off the Edge of the World

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #8,837 of 11,919
Hi, first posts here.
Does anyone drives Arya stealth with the Hugo2? How is it? So far I was using IEMs, but I’d want to get now some high end headphones. Arya could be a great start. Btw if someone has one used for sale I’m interested. Would get a desktop amp down the road

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #8,838 of 11,919
Actually this is a common misconception that changes in the analog domain sound better then in the digital domain, see this post by oratory on reddit:

Here is the full topic, where I also got the basis for my EQ presets:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice/comments/rb365g/replicating_the_zen_cans_xbass_in_peace/
Yeah, i won't be 100% dead sure about this.

This is just an opinion, at least in the way it is exposed. If I'm not mistaken, Oratory1990 (God bless him, he is a gift for this hobby and I will never be thankful enough for his amazing work) thinks that everything is related to FR, which to me can't be 100% correct. I mean, it could be, even bass impact and soundstage. Do we know now what exact frequencies creates a wide soundstage? which one creates bass impact?

Can a digital filter be equal to an analog filter? It surely can, in some very specific and controlled condition (probably). Will it be 100% on any pc with any cable, with any source, etc etc? Don't think so.

I do see a lot of potential problems in DSP on the source, as there can be many variables. A setting on the "final stage", AKA analog domain before the headphone out, has way more control and replicability. I'm a digital lover, but I totally get the analog aficionados.

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #8,839 of 11,919
Man the lowest volume is too loud. Any Zen stack user having a problem with Arya SE like me. BAL out 0db gain is actually 6db. There is some imbalance below 9 o'clock position. I use -8 db preamp and it's still loud for me especially with Tidal. I mean i can crank up to 1-2 o'clock when i'm enjoying myself but lowest volume is uncomfortable when i chill out. Big orchestra soundtracks doesn't sound too loud but other genres loud af. These loud genres are also isn't perfect with the stock tuning of Arya SE.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #8,840 of 11,919
Man the lowest volume is too loud. Any Zen stack user having a problem with Arya SE like me. BAL out 0db gain is actually 6db. There is some imbalance below 9 o'clock position. I use -8 db preamp and it's still loud for me especially with Tidal. I mean i can crank up to 1-2 o'clock when i'm enjoying myself but lowest volume is uncomfortable when i chill out. Big orchestra soundtracks doesn't sound too loud but other genres loud af. These loud genres are also isn't perfect with the stock tuning of Arya SE.

I agree, I run the IFI IDSD Signature at -5 using the APO EQ app, and it gives me till 12oclock range on the dial in Turbo mode (high gain). Which is where I get the best sound from this pairing. Otherwise the range would be to small for me to turn on the dial due to the analog imbalance found on IFI products.

Oct 12, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #8,841 of 11,919
Hi, first posts here.
Does anyone drives Arya stealth with the Hugo2? How is it? So far I was using IEMs, but I’d want to get now some high end headphones. Arya could be a great start. Btw if someone has one used for sale I’m interested. Would get a desktop amp down the road
Also could anybody compare the technical performance of the Arya to some 64 audio IEMs as Trio and u12t?

Oct 13, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #8,842 of 11,919
Hi i recently got the Arya v2 paired with the ifi zen dac v2 + ifi can, they sound fantastic but i have a noob question..

I don't know much about the planar magnetic technology, all i know is that the planar magetic driver is more delicate than the dynamic driver.

On my ifi dac v2 and ifi can, i have the button for add extra bass on both and they add a lot of subbass vibration, my question maybe it sounds stupid but i wanna be sure.. can adding extra bass on both of them damage or reduce the lifespan of the arya v2 with normal volume?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #8,843 of 11,919
Hi i recently got the Arya v2 paired with the ifi zen dac v2 + ifi can, they sound fantastic but i have a noob question..

I don't know much about the planar magnetic technology, all i know is that the planar magetic driver is more delicate than the dynamic driver.

On my ifi dac v2 and ifi can, i have the button for add extra bass on both and they add a lot of subbass vibration, my question maybe it sounds stupid but i wanna be sure.. can adding extra bass on both of them damage or reduce the lifespan of the arya v2 with normal volume?
No.

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #8,844 of 11,919

On the contrary, the Plans have very little or no distortion, a linear impedance, so they hold equalizations perfectly! 👍

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #8,845 of 11,919
I think i own Arya v1 (bought before stealth were launched) and I find it has little sibilance issue. It may feel fatiguing after listening for a while esp on female voices. Anyone else faced similar issue? Even if not, What are the possible ways to reduce high frequency sibilance on Arya? Any pads/cables or mods available?

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #8,846 of 11,919
Also could anybody compare the technical performance of the Arya to some 64 audio IEMs as Trio and u12t?
I have listened to all (Arya, Trio and ut12t). Headphones and IEMs can't be compared with each other due to physical limitations but at a very level:
1. Trio and ut12t are very clean sounding in vocals. However, for laid-back listening..can't replace Arya.
2. Trio sounds holographic but Arya is lot more holographic sounding.
3. Ut12t bass sounds muddy to me .. afterall BA bass. But neither Trio nor ut12t can vibrate your earlobes like Arya can do with good bass.

So very high end IEMs have their physical limitations.. though of late I am becoming more of IEMs fan boy as the technological advancements seem to be happening more on IEMs than on headphones (hybrids.. tribrids.. bone conduction and what not within tiny IEMs!)

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #8,847 of 11,919
I'm curious. Why exactly are you trying to compare these apples to oranges?

That being said, I can tell you about my experience, impressions, and opinion with my Hifiman Anandas (Arya is a much better headset) and the 64 Audio U12t and Trio. I had a listening session with both of these 64 Audio IEMs very recently on 12-Oct-22 at an audio store in my city. Please read my post here- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-monarch-mkii-experience.962446/post-17190883 to know more. I think it would help you.

Hifiman Anandas- super comfortable to wear for extended periods of easy listening. They have an amazingly airy, layered, and accurate sound. Can be sibilant at times, especially with the ‘s’ sounds in a song. They are heavy and extremely bulky though, and hence not portable. They're good only for listening at home or in your personal office cabin, i.e., in a quiet environment.

64 Audio U12t- Very clean, sterile, and analytical sound signature. While it is the more hyped of the two 64 Audio IEMs on your list, it just did not give me the ‘fun’ and ‘joy’ I look for when listening to my music. Too boring for my taste. It was like sitting in a live performance. Hence, you need to listen to it and make sure that its sound is as per your liking. For my music preferences, I personally liked the Trio much better.

64 Audio Trio- for my budget and sound signature preferences, this is the one I really liked. Just like with the U12t, listening to the Trio was also like sitting in a live performance BUT with a few high-quality speakers placed properly around me to tastefully flavor the sound. Listening to this gave me immense joy and I had my head bobbing to the music, which is a sure sign of joy, engagement, and enjoyment. 😊

Both the 64 Audio IEMs are incredibly comfortable in the ears. They’re super portable and can be listened to almost anywhere. There is a wealth of information on both these IEMs here on Head-fi.

At the end apples have their own taste and oranges theirs.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #8,848 of 11,919

I own the IFI Audio - Zen DAC V2 and it's paired with my IFI Audio - Zen CAN Signautre HFM Amp. I use my Hifiman Anandas with this DAC-AMP setup and almost always have the Extra Bass button enabled. It will NOT damage your Aryas.

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #8,849 of 11,919
I have listened to all (Arya, Trio and ut12t). Headphones and IEMs can't be compared with each other due to physical limitations but at a very level:
1. Trio and ut12t are very clean sounding in vocals. However, for laid-back listening..can't replace Arya.
2. Trio sounds holographic but Arya is lot more holographic sounding.
3. Ut12t bass sounds muddy to me .. afterall BA bass. But neither Trio nor ut12t can vibrate your earlobes like Arya can do with good bass.

So very high end IEMs have their physical limitations.. though of late I am becoming more of IEMs fan boy as the technological advancements seem to be happening more on IEMs than on headphones (hybrids.. tribrids.. bone conduction and what not within tiny IEMs!)
I am aware of that. Thank you for your input. I just wanted to know what new experiences such headphone brings over these IEMs. I only wonder if i should get the Arya stealth now, or save a bit more and buy sth like used lcd-5, dca expanse/stealth etc.

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #8,850 of 11,919
I'm curious. Why exactly are you trying to compare these apples to oranges?

That being said, I can tell you about my experience, impressions, and opinion with my Hifiman Anandas (Arya is a much better headset) and the 64 Audio U12t and Trio. I had a listening session with both of these 64 Audio IEMs very recently on 12-Oct-22 at an audio store in my city. Please read my post here- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-monarch-mkii-experience.962446/post-17190883 to know more. I think it would help you.

Hifiman Anandas- super comfortable to wear for extended periods of easy listening. They have an amazingly airy, layered, and accurate sound. Can be sibilant at times, especially with the ‘s’ sounds in a song. They are heavy and extremely bulky though, and hence not portable. They're good only for listening at home or in your personal office cabin, i.e., in a quiet environment.

64 Audio U12t- Very clean, sterile, and analytical sound signature. While it is the more hyped of the two 64 Audio IEMs on your list, it just did not give me the ‘fun’ and ‘joy’ I look for when listening to my music. Too boring for my taste. It was like sitting in a live performance. Hence, you need to listen to it and make sure that its sound is as per your liking. For my music preferences, I personally liked the Trio much better.

64 Audio Trio- for my budget and sound signature preferences, this is the one I really liked. Just like with the U12t, listening to the Trio was also like sitting in a live performance BUT with a few high-quality speakers placed properly around me to tastefully flavor the sound. Listening to this gave me immense joy and I had my head bobbing to the music, which is a sure sign of joy, engagement, and enjoyment. 😊

Both the 64 Audio IEMs are incredibly comfortable in the ears. They’re super portable and can be listened to almost anywhere. There is a wealth of information on both these IEMs here on Head-fi.

At the end apples have their own taste and oranges theirs.
I want to know what new experiences such headphone brings over my IEMs. I had some high end ones for a few days and d8000pro with lcd-5 was a new experience however, a lot worse in other regards as bass dynamism and dynamics overall. Lcd-x didn’t impress me at all, but I think the Aryas are a bit better technically. However i may save a bit more to buy sth like an used lcd-5, as it compliments my Trio well with its midrange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back