HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #8,717 of 11,919
PXL_20220930_004757347.PORTRAIT.jpg
I finally picked up an Ares II. I'm finding the A90D/Ares II to be an excellent combo with the Arya V2. Might be one of the best rigs I ever heard. (Compared to even way more expensive ones.) Very enjoyable and I feel like I reached it's potential without lacking anything. Just audio nirvana.:)

Using computers as a analogy. You can think of the DAC as like the GPU and the Amp as the CPU. You need both to get the desired resolution and frame rates you want for your game (headphone).

The EF400 is a solid choice. I see it as a "benchmark" or standard on how good the HiFiMan can sound. With the EF400, you can play on high settings and will get you around maybe 70-80 fps with Arya V2. You can get a pretty good experience with Arya. With A90D/Ares II combo, you can play on max settings and get solid 120+ fps. With something like Edition XS, you will get even higher fps, something like 90-100+ because it's ceiling is not as high (scalability).

With the HEKV2, I think the A90D does a pretty good job. But I don't think I've reached it's limit. I estimate I'm around 90fps.
Good analogy.
Which filter do you prefer on the Ares2, NoS, OS Fast or Slow?

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #8,719 of 11,919
Good analogy.
Which filter do you prefer on the Ares2, NoS, OS Fast or Slow?
OS, sharp, with phase off.

I've been going back and forth with slow and sharp filter. I think most reviewers prefer the slow filter, and I like it too but I think it adds a bit of warmth, whereas the sharp filter sounds more transparent and cleaner to me.

OS definitely sounds clearer and more detailed than NOS. NOS sounds kinda blunted and dull.

Phase on sounds a bit more direct and coming towards you, while phase off sounds more spread out. Better soundstage.

So what I like about the Ares II, it's tonally rich and got a meaty sound. Timbre is excellent. With this combo I don't even feel like I need a tube amp because it's already euphonic and rich. Imaging is excellent and super musical. Amazing PRaT. Excellent resolution and details without being clinical. Super fast and precise.

Kinda reminds me of my old Rega turntable, its got this exciting sound to it. I think someone described it perfectly. You can sort of outline the different musician and instruments in the image.

I'm also been trying out Audivrana with it. I don't know if it's just upsampling, but it does sound a tiny bit better because it's using AISO instead of native windows drivers. It's subtle but adds to a purer signal and sound quality.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #8,720 of 11,919
OS, sharp, with phase off.

I've been going back and forth with slow and sharp filter. I think most reviewers prefer the slow filter, and I like it too but I think it adds a bit of warmth, whereas the sharp filter sounds more transparent and cleaner to me.

OS definitely sounds clearer and more detailed than NOS. NOS sounds kinda blunted and dull.

Phase on sounds a bit more direct and coming towards you, while phase off sounds more spread out. Better soundstage.

So what I like about the Ares II, it's tonally rich and got a meaty sound. Timbre is excellent. With this combo I don't even feel like I need a tube amp because it's already euphonic and rich. Imaging is excellent and super musical. Amazing PRaT. Excellent resolution and details without being clinical.

Kinda reminds me of my old Rega turntable, its got this exciting sound to it. I think someone described it perfectly. You can sort of outline the different musician and instruments in the image.

I'm also been trying out Audivrana with it. I don't know if it's just upsampling, but it does sound a tiny bit better because it's using AISO instead of native windows drivers. It's subtle but adds to a purer signal and sound quality.
Agreed.
For relaxed laid back listen, OS slow.
For shaper imaging and seperation, OS fast.
I think NOS emphasize the mids, but does not sound better than OS mode.
Phase depends on song.

Great Dac to pair with Arya v2/SE or Hekv2.
The R2R's analog warmer sound signature balances out the slightly bright treble of those headphones.

My preference for Dac would be generally R2R > AKM > BlurrBrown > ESS. A warmer sound signature is easier to listen to for long sessions.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #8,721 of 11,919

This is sick.

How about Yulong Aurora all in one dac amp combo.

The album is sick, great on my V3s lol. Try these tracks too: White Leaves, The Stranger, Numenor, A Plea to the Rocks.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #8,722 of 11,919
Agreed.
For relaxed laid back listen, OS slow.
For shaper imaging and seperation, OS fast.
I think NOS emphasize the mids, but does not sound better than OS mode.
Phase depends on song.

Great Dac to pair with Arya v2/SE or Hekv2.
The R2R's analog warmer sound signature balances out the slightly birght treble of those headphones.

My preference for Dac would be generally R2R > AKM > BlurrBrown > ESS. A warmer sound signature is easier to listen to for long sessions.
This was suppose to be my "backup" rig. But it just sounds too damn good. Gonna have to put the HEKV2 in storage now until I build a new rig for it. 😭

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #8,723 of 11,919
This was suppose to be my "backup" rig. But it just sounds too damn good. Gonna have to put the HEKV2 in storage now until I build a new rig for it. 😭
It really is amazing how the Arya and HEKV2’s seem to like different source chains. I’d think the Ares II might be a touch too mellow and slow for the HEKV2, but adds some much appreciated midrange fullness to the Arya. At least that was my experience with the Arya and Pontus II.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #8,724 of 11,919
Guys thanks lot for the responses, but i just found this dac/amp khadas Tone 2 Pro recommended by a friend and it's not very high at price, i would like to know if this would be a superior dac/amp than fiio k5 pro ess or topping dx3 por+ ??? thanks again.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #8,725 of 11,919
Honestly this is a useless calculation, as reaching 120db means nothing in term of sound quality and control. You can get almost everything loud enough with a usb c Apple dongle on a pc. It won’t sound full and in control tho.

It means that in order to go deaf you need only that many amps. So since you don't want to go deaf you will be using well under that. Aryas are not hard to drive.

If you want distortion and color get an amp that does those type of things, other wise the difference between my .500a 788 and 1.4a A90 sounds the same because the Arya doesn't even get close to sucking up all that current at even permantely ear damaging volumes.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #8,728 of 11,919
The Arya v2 sounds, in my dad’s opinion, more real with the bass than the sony Z1R, a headphone that costs twice the price. For some the arya will meet enough standards to be considered endgame. There is something missing from the Arya that the Z1R does have

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #8,730 of 11,919
I will be receiving my Hifiman Arya Steath this week, and will be powering them with my IFI IDSD Signature, which I have come to understand drive the Aryas fine with 4.1 w and also a suppose to get the most of the sound out of them in a portable format. Was fortunate to be able to pick up the Signature at Adorama for $430, open box. I will let you know how they sound together when receive them, they made my Edition XS sound nice and full, hopefully do the same for the Aryas.
I'd be curious to hear what your thoughts are comparing the Edition XS to the Arya Stealth. I personally prefer the Edition XS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back