HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #8,671 of 11,945
Did anyone get to compare Arya stealth with HE1000 V2? Amazon is having a huge discount on the V2 currently, but I am not sure if it's worth the extra $700 compared to the stealth.
If you search through the thread there are some feedback from people who upgraded. (e.g.), some good comparison on reddit I've found a while back.
And there is also video review comparing two and HE6SE.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #8,672 of 11,945
So after having scrutinized the soundstage of the Arya V3 starting from this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...rsion-impressions-thread.890421/post-17158428 and then in the subsequent messages that followed, I now have to write about the other aspects of the sound of Arya V3.

To start with, these have been the only set I have been listening to for the past 12 days now, so burned in or not take your pick, they are fine for me.

Ok, so the first time I made my girlfriend listen to the Arya V3 for about 5 or 7 songs, she liked them but also remarked - 'Well, these sound nice but also quite similar to these (pointing towards the shiny red TH909). The reds are better, but these are not bad as well'.

And that is how these actually sound. TH909 are one of the best sets I have owned and listen to quite often. I would say that these are supercharged neutral kind of tuning. They are surely not neutral, but for being a V shaped (especially compared to their sibling TH900), the tuning is very well executed. Take the turbo charged wonky tuning of TH900 and then refine it and make it pleasant. Thats TH909 for my ears. Bass is deep tight rich, appreciable mids that are definitely not recessed and rich sparkly detailed treble, And everything is evenly spaced out, without being neither cramped in nor super wide. And not to forget solid dynamics. Listening to 909's feels very alive and rich and engaging and organic.

Bass - Solid extension down low. It has details and is well controlled. Listening to tracks like this -

it definitely could move good amount of air and give that visceral impact of the bass. Made me remember such a feel from the Campfire Cascades, if any one has heard them, they will know what I mean! On right tracks the bass can also throw in mid bass punch. I dont know why people dont mention these more often on basshead query threads... lol...

Mids - Nicely done. Good resolution and surely better than the Edition XS (my only other Hifiman). But they can also be somewhat in your face, center focused. Works on some tracks and not so on others. And also not exactly a match for the HD600 lush smooth rich levels.

Treble - I had no issues with treble. Its rich detailed sparkly airy. On some tracks it can surely come as metallic and intense, but then I just turn the treble dial down a bit.

Timbre - I would say better than XS. Though it doesnt sound as natural but still doesnt sound artificial as well.

Dynamics - As I mentioned in the opening of the post, these have good enough dynamics. Close enough to the TH909 levels. I would say the macro dynamics are better than the microdynamics. On some tracks there is a tendency to turn the volume up and then the sound can come up as harsh or like a wall. However the 909 fare much better in dynamics overall (Aurorus Borealis is another set with fantastic dynamics).

Transients, Attack, Decay - Its a very well executed planar and for these aspects it delivers. The guitar plucks, the drum membrane vibrations, the subtle breaths in between vocals, the wood resonance on violins piano keys its all there and make the music lively and enjoyable.

Resolution, detail, instrument separation - Its great. Picks out the details like a katana. For my ears the 909 has somewhat better details and resolution than the Arya V3, but the V3 trumps in separation.

One thing to note is that as these are a highly resolving set these are unforgiving on bad tracks. These will highlight bad recordings (badly mastered, recording artifacts, poor DR tracks) and hence so some of the music that one is accustomed to listen to on radio or car or okayish headphones and has been liking will on the contrary be rendered passable if not intolerable (esp as these are attention demanding sound signature).

And these are comfortable to forget they are on ones head for all the hours one is listening while throwing any genre one wants, and that is the other worthy mention, that these sets handle pretty much any genre.

This brings me to the conclusion that for the price they offer solid performance especially right of the box (looking at you Audeze...) and I think the law of diminishing returns will hit one pretty fast after listening to these sets especially for this kind of sound signature.

Had I not owned or listened to the TH909 and had I not known what good open soundstage is from the K712 Pro and Edition XS, I would have been merry keeping these sets thinking I am satisfied. But that is not the case. Not a keeper these are currently.

Moving on to Arya V2 or HE1000v2. Lets see

Happy Listening :)

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #8,674 of 11,945
So after having scrutinized the soundstage of the Arya V3 starting from this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...rsion-impressions-thread.890421/post-17158428 and then in the subsequent messages that followed, I now have to write about the other aspects of the sound of Arya V3.

To start with, these have been the only set I have been listening to for the past 12 days now, so burned in or not take your pick, they are fine for me.

Ok, so the first time I made my girlfriend listen to the Arya V3 for about 5 or 7 songs, she liked them but also remarked - 'Well, these sound nice but also quite similar to these (pointing towards the shiny red TH909). The reds are better, but these are not bad as well'.

And that is how these actually sound. TH909 are one of the best sets I have owned and listen to quite often. I would say that these are supercharged neutral kind of tuning. They are surely not neutral, but for being a V shaped (especially compared to their sibling TH900), the tuning is very well executed. Take the turbo charged wonky tuning of TH900 and then refine it and make it pleasant. Thats TH909 for my ears. Bass is deep tight rich, appreciable mids that are definitely not recessed and rich sparkly detailed treble, And everything is evenly spaced out, without being neither cramped in nor super wide. And not to forget solid dynamics. Listening to 909's feels very alive and rich and engaging and organic.

Bass - Solid extension down low. It has details and is well controlled. Listening to tracks like this -

it definitely could move good amount of air and give that visceral impact of the bass. Made me remember such a feel from the Campfire Cascades, if any one has heard them, they will know what I mean! On right tracks the bass can also throw in mid bass punch. I dont know why people dont mention these more often on basshead query threads... lol...

Mids - Nicely done. Good resolution and surely better than the Edition XS (my only other Hifiman). But they can also be somewhat in your face, center focused. Works on some tracks and not so on others. And also not exactly a match for the HD600 lush smooth rich levels.

Treble - I had no issues with treble. Its rich detailed sparkly airy. On some tracks it can surely come as metallic and intense, but then I just turn the treble dial down a bit.

Timbre - I would say better than XS. Though it doesnt sound as natural but still doesnt sound artificial as well.

Dynamics - As I mentioned in the opening of the post, these have good enough dynamics. Close enough to the TH909 levels. I would say the macro dynamics are better than the microdynamics. On some tracks there is a tendency to turn the volume up and then the sound can come up as harsh or like a wall. However the 909 fare much better in dynamics overall (Aurorus Borealis is another set with fantastic dynamics).

Transients, Attack, Decay - Its a very well executed planar and for these aspects it delivers. The guitar plucks, the drum membrane vibrations, the subtle breaths in between vocals, the wood resonance on violins piano keys its all there and make the music lively and enjoyable.

Resolution, detail, instrument separation - Its great. Picks out the details like a katana. For my ears the 909 has somewhat better details and resolution than the Arya V3, but the V3 trumps in separation.

One thing to note is that as these are a highly resolving set these are unforgiving on bad tracks. These will highlight bad recordings (badly mastered, recording artifacts, poor DR tracks) and hence so some of the music that one is accustomed to listen to on radio or car or okayish headphones and has been liking will on the contrary be rendered passable if not intolerable (esp as these are attention demanding sound signature).

And these are comfortable to forget they are on ones head for all the hours one is listening while throwing any genre one wants, and that is the other worthy mention, that these sets handle pretty much any genre.

This brings me to the conclusion that for the price they offer solid performance especially right of the box (looking at you Audeze...) and I think the law of diminishing returns will hit one pretty fast after listening to these sets especially for this kind of sound signature.

Had I not owned or listened to the TH909 and had I not known what good open soundstage is from the K712 Pro and Edition XS, I would have been merry keeping these sets thinking I am satisfied. But that is not the case. Not a keeper these are currently.

Moving on to Arya V2 or HE1000v2. Lets see

Happy Listening :)

If you're not impressed by the details and resolution of the V3, then you won't be impressed by the V2 either. You should go for the HEKV2 instead. I think that would be a better matchup against the TH909.

I never heard the TH909 but that sounds pretty impressive. No other headphone I've heard has the musicality, imaging, and presentation like the HiFiMan though. I think that's what makes them special in my book.

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #8,675 of 11,945
Anyone here heard egg shaped DCA headphones ? I wonder how they sound compared to Hifiman's egg shape characteristically. Especially curious about Expanse. Tuning is clearly different so i'm more interested in presentation, technicalities what not.

I have the stealth and it has less bass energy than my harmon eq'd arya. I think that has to do with the dampening factor going on. Its sounds like you're in a treated room vs a none treated room. I punched in the expanse eq provided by Dan for the stealth and it has more warmth and energy, but not by much. Of course the felt bass energy on the actual expanse headphone could be more than the Eq'd stealth, can't say for sure though. I like my stealth more because its more versatile and sounds like an open back.

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #8,676 of 11,945
@InquisitiveLogic TH909 has no mids or treble so the bass will stand out more, then you have that incline to 5khz, that is probably the sound stage perception you're getting. After looking at the K712pro FR, I bet it sounds "unique" to say the least ! ;p

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #8,677 of 11,945
If you're not impressed by the details and resolution of the V3, then you won't be impressed by the V2 either. You should go for the HEKV2 instead. I think that would be a better matchup against the TH909.

I never heard the TH909 but that sounds pretty impressive. No other headphone I've heard has the musicality, imaging, and presentation like the HiFiMan though. I think that's what makes them special in my book.

I know man! I am too contemplating on going in full on, so as not leave anything and see for myself how much I gain going the HE100V2 way. Hopefully I dont get disappointed. Lets see...

@InquisitiveLogic TH909 has no mids or treble so the bass will stand out more, then you have that incline to 5khz, that is probably the sound stage perception you're getting. After looking at the K712pro FR, I bet it sounds "unique" to say the least ! ;p

You could not be more mistaken if not wrong buddy if you say the TH909 has no mids and treble!

The TH909 has the more tamed treble compared to the TH900, and even then so many users say it can get too much sometimes esp on wrong tracks and gear. Has been fine for me.

The bass, its very tastefully done. Its not too much and a guilty pleasure like in the TH900, but its still very respectable in quality esp compared to the quantity. Add in a small bass shelf and you have a very solid deep detailed tight bass response. It never stands out or bleeds in but rather holds its own ground and does what its supposed to do, add bass at the bass level.

And the mids are another stand out feature of these sets. The TH900 vocals sucked. No feels and throw and seriously recessed. The vocals in TH909 are rather a treat to listen to on the contrary. They dont have the lushness, but are resolved and very well placed and when listening to in conjunction with the fun V energetic dynamic lively sound are for sure very enjoyable.

Check the review here, where the reviewer himself is rather impressed with the vocals of the headphone --

I dont know if you have given the TH909 a personal listen, but if you havent you should try them out :wink:

The K712Pro. I dont like its sound and the tonality. Its thin boxy grainy low resolved and hence not enjoyable for me. I only listen to it with movies mostly and occasionally with some ambient tracks.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #8,678 of 11,945
I know man! I am too contemplating on going in full on, so as not leave anything and see for myself how much I gain going the HE100V2 way. Hopefully I dont get disappointed. Lets see...

You could not be more mistaken if not wrong buddy if you say the TH909 has no mids and treble!

The TH909 has the more tamed treble compared to the TH900, and even then so many users say it can get too much sometimes esp on wrong tracks and gear. Has been fine for me.

The bass, its very tastefully done. Its not too much and a guilty pleasure like in the TH900, but its still very respectable in quality esp compared to the quantity. Add in a small bass shelf and you have a very solid deep detailed tight bass response. It never stands out or bleeds in but rather holds its own ground and does what its supposed to do, add bass at the bass level.

And the mids are another stand out feature of these sets. The TH900 vocals sucked. No feels and throw and seriously recessed. The vocals in TH909 are rather a treat to listen to on the contrary. They dont have the lushness, but are resolved and very well placed and when listening to in conjunction with the fun V energetic dynamic lively sound are for sure very enjoyable.

Check the review here, where the reviewer himself is rather impressed with the vocals of the headphone --

I dont know if you have given the TH909 a personal listen, but if you havent you should try them out :wink:

The K712Pro. I dont like

I'm not wrong though. Compared to the arya is has far less in that area. Th900 has awful stock tuning and severely spikey treble with sucked out mids. For sure why vocals suck on TH900.

I was never impressed with TH900 bass because I already listen to that level of bass in all my headphones. I did think I would get more impact being a closed back and all, but it wasn't so. It leaks so much sound and almost doesn't seem like a closed back to be honest. I'd take EQ'd bass from HD800s over TH900 because it has slightly bigger driver and the the sound stage really makes that bass seem larger. DD are a done deal for me at this point.

Why not use your fostex for movies ? Considering the AKG has severe bass roll off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-28 142004.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-28 142004.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-09-28 142507.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-28 142507.png
    164.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #8,679 of 11,945
Did anyone get to compare Arya stealth with HE1000 V2? Amazon is having a huge discount on the V2 currently, but I am not sure if it's worth the extra $700 compared to the stealth.

If you value soundstage and benefits associated with a wider stage (more separation, more depth and etc.) - yes.
If you prefer a more intimate soundstage and sound - no.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #8,681 of 11,945
Currawong said our Arya was "bright" in his review for the alll new, 4k bad boy DCA Expanse.
It is not bright, it is forward, three is a difference.
I can't stand brightness even for half an hour but I can listen to the Arya for hours long.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #8,682 of 11,945
I think brightness gets misassociated with harshness sometimes. Arya SE is bright in the sense that the treble isn't laid back, but a forward and present part of the overall package. It's very well controlled though.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #8,683 of 11,945
It is not bright, it is forward, three is a difference.
I can't stand brightness even for half an hour but I can listen to the Arya for hours long.

I think brightness gets misassociated with harshness sometimes. Arya SE is bright in the sense that the treble isn't laid back, but a forward and present part of the overall package. It's very well controlled though.
Agreed. I’m treble sensitive as I have slight tinnitus from my days as a musician, and I have no issues listening to the Aryas all day long. Would love to hear them through a tube amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back