HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #8,341 of 11,919
Aug 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #8,342 of 11,919
Yeah a little bit, but I guess it’s fair since the he1000v2 costs way more.
To me it’s not very appealing since I don’t eq for serious listening and I know I would miss its bass impact.

But the he1000 SE? Yeah that’s another story.
At least based on measurements V2 should have more subbass than SE.
11847820.png

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #8,343 of 11,919
Here is an actual 30hz tone so you can see just how far down in the "sub bass" that bump actually is.

And here is 13 khz for reference:

Now if you're thinking cymbals or drum hits are *mainly* at either of those frequencies, you'd be mistaken. I highly doubt slight fluctuations of 1 or 2 (hell, up to 5) db in those specific areas make much different to the vast majority of music out there today.

The bump is actually coming back down quite a bit when we get to 50hz which is more in the meat of how a drum sounds.... so yeah it's really minor.

Stop with the charts. They are so misleading.

Actual frequencies affected by cymbals:

1661534878050.png

yes, it tails off into those frequencies you can barely hear eventually, but most of it is between 100 hz and 8,000 hertz, especially that initial hit and the vast majority of the tone is between sub-1000 hz and 10,000 hz.

There's so much more that can't be measured when it comes to headphones. We are in the stone age when it comes to technical analysis of them. It wasn't even done 10 years ago.

I know I used to read them charts and think, WOW, that headphone is going to be a LOT bassier. Then I'd get it and be like "Oh....".

I've slowly watched it, thanks to social media, turn into this MASSIVE thing where people are making decisions based on charts....

Also what's the margin of error between the 2 measurements, ya know ? How does the upstream equipment used affect the FR ? How does any of that actually affect the experience of complex signals like music on real world rigs ? None of that can be told by a chart.

The target ("Neutral") curves too - what authority determined this is the right curve ? Does everyone want a neutral headphone ? Are everyone's preferences the same ? Should we even have a target curve and judge headphones by how close they are to this curve ? Why are there many target curves used instead of one ? etc etc.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #8,344 of 11,919
Well, subbass bump peaks at 35Hz and gently sloping down up to 100hz, so technically there should be more bass presence through all that range, but 30hz is quite auditable rumble already. On the treble, I can clearly hear 12K, but not 13K, perhaps this is where my personal hearing limit it.

But I completely agree, analyzing charts alone can only give you just some rough idea on how phones actually sound like, but surprisingly many use it as a gospel target to EQ their phones.

Great test tones channel, btw, bookmarked.
Here's another one with useful tones for testing headphones and IEMs I usually use.

Aug 26, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #8,348 of 11,919
I am especially concerned about the soundstage. Resolution and detail, extension at top end and bottom end should be better than the XS in the SE (please say I am thinking right), but after reading reviews that the V3 takes a hit in soundstage segment (has shrunk) versus the V2 I am not sure what to make of it even though the SE as per reviews has improved in
Its still a pretty wide headphone imo. I mean its not as intimate as an HD600 to give you a reference. I don't know about you but I have a fair amount of tolerance for soundstage as long as there is a decent wideness to it. I don't like it when headphones are too closed in and I would say the focal Utopia suffered from that a bit, especially after I came from an HD 800, so I do understand why people care about soundstage but I think on this, comparing it to the empyrean which is also fairly wide I feel like it is competent and not something to overly worry about. To me it seems like it's more of a reason to keep a V2 versus a reason not to upgrade from a lower end Hi-Fi man.

I mean you could buy it and if you don't like it and it really bothers you, you can always return it. Alternatively you could just get a used V2 instead because there are plenty of those on the second hand market but you'll have to live without the stealth magnet improvements in resolution and in the other areas that have been mentioned on all the reviews.

I would highly recommend not making a decision in the first couple of days though because I did notice quite a bit of a change rapidly on my pair which is something I've never really experienced before but I definitely did this time. It was a little bit metallic at first and had some danger areas where it was close to maybe being fatiguing at first and I was a bit disappointed by that, because fatigue is the one thing that will make me stop using a headphone no matter how good it is in any other aspect, and it was a problem with the Utopia on the Hugo 2. Thankfully that went away completely after about a week and certainly after I ran it through about 8 hours of pink noise.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #8,349 of 11,919
Its still a pretty wide headphone imo. I mean its not as intimate as an HD600 to give you a reference. I don't know about you but I have a fair amount of tolerance for soundstage as long as there is a decent wideness to it. I don't like it when headphones are too closed in and I would say the focal Utopia suffered from that a bit, especially after I came from an HD 800, so I do understand why people care about soundstage but I think on this, comparing it to the empyrean which is also fairly wide I feel like it is competent and not something to overly worry about. To me it seems like it's more of a reason to keep a V2 versus a reason not to upgrade from a lower end Hi-Fi man.

I mean you could buy it and if you don't like it and it really bothers you, you can always return it. Alternatively you could just get a used V2 instead because there are plenty of those on the second hand market but you'll have to live without the stealth magnet improvements in resolution and in the other areas that have been mentioned on all the reviews.

I would highly recommend not making a decision in the first couple of days though because I did notice quite a bit of a change rapidly on my pair which is something I've never really experienced before but I definitely did this time. It was a little bit metallic at first and had some danger areas where it was close to maybe being fatiguing at first and I was a bit disappointed by that, because fatigue is the one thing that will make me stop using a headphone no matter how good it is in any other aspect, and it was a problem with the Utopia on the Hugo 2. Thankfully that went away completely after about a week and certainly after I ran it through about 8 hours of pink noise.
The legendary HD600 and the claustrophobic 3 blob soundstage! I had the 650 but sold it off especially because of this very aspect (and also didnt like the warm veiled sound) but still have the 600 simply as a reference, a palette cleanser when I want to hear natural timbre and the natural luscious mids, after listening to my other sets. Cannot listen to it for long though because not a fan of exactly neutral sound. I prefer more of a U or V sound done tastefully and not overboard. A basshead audiophile :)

And this is the reason I like the XS, great stock tuning that extends low and surely gives sub bass feels and decent planar resolution and details fairly across the spectrum and a nice immersive soundstage. Thinking of upgrading to the Arya SE so as to fill in the drawbacks where the XS falls weak, namely - vocals, resolution, detail, and lower end lacking in detail. But the shrunken soundstage as per reviews compared to the V2 had me on the backfoot.
And also, soundstage is the reason I prefer the R70x over my HD600.

Frankly I donot believe in burn in. Brain burn in - Surely YES. Hardware burn in - NO. But then again, I will not argue or contest anyone saying they believe in it or experience it, because if they do they do. I didnt like the DT1990 (aggressive monsters) but could tolerate them after a few days, but eventually sold them off because my tolerance gave away against their aggression. Same thing for the Th900. Spicy - Yes. Troubling treble - Yes. But frankly its much better now after many days (also a little -ve gain on the treble EQ controller) and only gets hot on certain tracks especially when they are badly mastered and highly compressed. I attribute this to the brain doing automatic EQ somehere inside the cranium.. lol ...

But your remark regarding why not go for teh latest SE makes sense and also the review that they are not fatiguing. So just might get a V3 and see for self.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #8,350 of 11,919
Yeah I mean I used to feel that way before this headphone as well, but it's changed my mind because the thing that's difficult to reconcile is how can my brain have such a distinctly different impression very early on than it does later on you know? it just seems like it has to be the headphone.. but anyway it's neither here nor there I guess. you're never going to convince people that have an opinion about cables or burn in one way or another and in the end it doesn't really matter does it ? 🤷‍ cheers 🍻

Also I think I might believe that the physical characteristics could change in a moving device of some kind I mean after watching Joshua Valour poke his finger through the membrane that is the Arya's diaphram, I can see how this thing can stretch out and change over time with frequencies on it, lol

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #8,352 of 11,919
Yeah I mean I used to feel that way before this headphone as well, but it's changed my mind because the thing that's difficult to reconcile is how can my brain have such a distinctly different impression very early on than it does later on you know? it just seems like it has to be the headphone.. but anyway it's neither here nor there I guess. you're never going to convince people that have an opinion about cables or burn in one way or another and in the end it doesn't really matter does it ? 🤷‍ cheers 🍻

Also I think I might believe that the physical characteristics could change in a moving device of some kind I mean after watching Joshua Valour poke his finger through the membrane that is the Arya's diaphram, I can see how this thing can stretch out and change over time with frequencies on it, lol

Yikes for the Joshua's Arya :zipper_mouth:

This was posted on reddit a few days ago. A planar driver in slow motion -

wJDxNd9.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/wt3exp/planar_driver_in_slow_motion/

Dont think the sound waves can inflict the level of blunt trauma compared to what is witnessed in the Joshua's videos so as to distort (for good or bad) the sound signature of a headphone. But then again how am I to know if someone listens at 100db+ levels shaking the drivers violently, and even if they do, who am I to say anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But jokes apart, you put it right, we cannot explain or debate with anyone holding onto any beliefs or facts and at the end it really doesnt matter. Cheers to that :beers:

Just makes me want to share a little personal anecdote. A few months back I went to a HiFi store (it had quite expensive A/V equipment) to audition the LCD-X 2021. I was aware of its reported sound signature and also knew how everyone remarks that these sound better after EQ and stock they are boring. I had already heard the LCD-2 before and never liked the Audeze sound and now as such I had a preconception based on this info that I will not like these as well, but still I wanted to hear what the hype is about these. A few songs later, my preconception became a fact. I did not like them. The shop owner asks why I did not like them and told him about the okayish soundstage and not exciting highs and mids lack a feel and the bass lacks the weight. He went behind the counter and took out 2 cables. As per him - Cable 1 - will open the soundstage and make the bass heavy and Cable 2 - will take it a step ahead and also increase the mids and top end resolution. Me to salesman - Okkkkaaay. Lets try the Cable 2. Frankly I tried hard to my last hair to listen for anything but I could not. Me to Salesman - So what am I supposed to hear? Salesman to me - Did you notice how the bass became heavy and tight and there is sparkle at the top end and the soundstage has also opened up.

Yeah rigggght .... the only thing that opened up was my brain. 'Dude, you just experienced a snake oil moment' ... lol...

Just for fun I asked the price of the cables. Cable 1 - $700 and Cable 2 - $1200 !!!

Me to salesman - Thats cool. Okay... I need to take this call and we will continue shortly.

I left the store pretending to be on call, and that call has never finished and I never went back to that store ...:sweat_smile:

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #8,353 of 11,919
You guys are discussing HEK-V2 vs Arya SE, and at this time I am too afraid to ask how much of an upgrade is the Arya SE against the EditionXS :/

If any one can answer this, that would be great.

I am especially concerned about the soundstage. Resolution and detail, extension at top end and bottom end should be better than the XS in the SE (please say I am thinking right), but after reading reviews that the V3 takes a hit in soundstage segment (has shrunk) versus the V2 I am not sure what to make of it even though the SE as per reviews has improved in other segments.

The XS soundstage isn't anything special like the K712 Pro or the HD800 but it's still very enjoyable. Tall and wide and immersive.
So is the V3 soundstage equivalent or worse or better than this.
I switched from XS to Arya SE last month. This is my post from last month after receiving the headphone.

I received my Arya Stealth. It's very punchy and crunchy headphone. Soundstage doesn't seem big and airy. This is a forward and engaging type of sound. I'd say Edition XS have bigger more spacious soundstage.
Speed is impressive. Ananda and XS sound flabby in comparison. Arya is tight, precise. Driver have strong grip.

The fit and the build significantly better than Ananda and XS in my opinion.

Very nice headphone.

Now my overall opinion:

XS have bigger soundstage. It's more distant and wide. Although, not a big difference but it's there and noticeable.
In terms of resolution detail etc Arya SE is significantly better.
Extension at the top end better on XS. Although i wouldn't say better, it's clearly boosted on XS and comes as a radio noise in some songs.
The bass extension is similar in terms of energy but quite different in terms of delivery. XS bass is very loose and bouncy. Arya SE very tight and snappier with a better punch and better overall dynamics in every frequency. Arya SE overall sounds more meaty, solid, engaging, energetic and immersive.
Arya SE can be hot from 3khz to 10khz. It's precise and solid in every frequency which makes it brighter than Ananda and XS.
Imaging is clearly better. Staging is different. XS is more like a traditional headphone. Arya SE delves in to recording and takes the cues to create soundstage. It's more in front and layered. It's kinda like you are inside of it. If you listen the headphone in a really silent room, it's transcending experience how soundstage/imaging/detail come together to make realistic uncanny presentation. And the amount of detail really benefits from high signal to noise ratio, i mean silent room.
Timbre is a lot better i think XS timbre isn't good. Battery, percussion instruments sounds great.
In terms of comfort Arya SE is amazing. It has a bit too much clamp but manageable. Build is also nicer and snug.

TLDR: XS is more relax, vague and loose sound. Arya SE tighter, snappier more insightful.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #8,354 of 11,919
I switched from XS to Arya SE last month. This is my post from last month after receiving the headphone.

Now my overall opinion:

XS have bigger soundstage. It's more distant and wide. Although, not a big difference but it's there and noticeable.
In terms of resolution detail etc Arya SE is significantly better.
Extension at the top end better on XS. Although i wouldn't say better, it's clearly boosted on XS and comes as a radio noise in some songs.
The bass extension is similar in terms of energy but quite different in terms of delivery. XS bass is very loose and bouncy. Arya SE very tight and snappier with a better punch and better overall dynamics in every frequency. Arya SE overall sounds more meaty, solid, engaging, energetic and immersive.
Arya SE can be hot from 3khz to 10khz. It's precise and solid in every frequency which makes it brighter than Ananda and XS.
Imaging is clearly better. Staging is different. XS is more like a traditional headphone. Arya SE delves in to recording and takes the cues to create soundstage. It's more in front and layered. It's kinda like you are inside of it. If you listen the headphone in a really silent room, it's transcending experience how soundstage/imaging/detail come together to make realistic uncanny presentation. And the amount of detail really benefits from high signal to noise ratio, i mean silent room.
Timbre is a lot better i think XS timbre isn't good. Battery, percussion instruments sounds great.
In terms of comfort Arya SE is amazing. It has a bit too much clamp but manageable. Build is also nicer and snug.

TLDR: XS is more relax, vague and loose sound. Arya SE tighter, snappier more insightful.

Thanks for a detailed response. Exactly what I wanted to know but ironically this has also put me into a perplexing decision.

One of the sets I enjoy quite a lot in my collection is the TH909. The only planar I have is the XS and thinking of upgrading it to something that matches the TH909 performance and also has a wide soundstage similar to the soundstage of the XS if not bigger, but definitely not smaller than the XS's.

The Arya seems to check all my requirements but confused between the V2 or the V3. From your review and also what majority say, the V3 is supposedly a better sounding headphone than V2 and also XS in all aspects other than the soundstage, which both the V2 and XS have a better one. This has me confident and unsure as well for the V3.
Better performance than XS - yes.
Better soundstage than XS - no. (rather smaller!)

The way you have put is apt -

I want this Arya sound but with more soundstage!

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #8,355 of 11,919
Thanks for a detailed response. Exactly what I wanted to know but ironically this has also put me into a perplexing decision.

One of the sets I enjoy quite a lot in my collection is the TH909. The only planar I have is the XS and thinking of upgrading it to something that matches the TH909 performance and also has a wide soundstage similar to the soundstage of the XS if not bigger, but definitely not smaller than the XS's.

The Arya seems to check all my requirements but confused between the V2 or the V3. From your review and also what majority say, the V3 is supposedly a better sounding headphone than V2 and also XS in all aspects other than the soundstage, which both the V2 and XS have a better one. This has me confident and unsure as well for the V3.
Better performance than XS - yes.
Better soundstage than XS - no. (rather smaller!)

The way you have put is apt -

I want this Arya sound but with more soundstage!
Perhaps research the He1000v2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back