HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #8,251 of 11,883
Yeah, the problem with my V2, is that it sounds a lot like adx5000 :D I want to have 2 different sounding headphones in my arsenal. One neutral and semi bright (ADX5000) and one warm and bassy (Maybe LCD-X or Erzetich Phobos)
LCD-X 2021 must actually be the ticket, I've found them and HD800 SDR complimenting each other as Yin and Yang. And while soundstage is not a slouch, it's quite a bit shy comparing to HD800, layering and positioning is more accurate though. And there is not a lot of technical gap between two either to use interchangeably, in other words same tier headphones.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #8,252 of 11,883
By the way, any of the Arya owners on this thread who went to the HEKV2 want to talk me into upgrading myself? I got a really good offer on a set, but am still afraid of losing that sense of immediacy that Arya provides for that huge stage of the HEKV2...decisions!
I would definitely want to be able to help you back some. My HEK V2 arrived a few days ago and on modest combo of Zen DAC and Xduoo MT 604, bass is just not comparable to Arya SE. Its interesting because it has larger sound stage and more mid presence but still less immersive due to lack of bass compared to Arya SE. It may not be fair comparison because HEK v2 probably did not open up with 2W output of MT 604 and may need more power than Arya SE. I have actually also ordered Ampsandsound Forge ( which can apparently have up to 6W equivalent output) as well as Ares 2 because I want to give Arya and HEK v2 best chance to come closer to my desired sound signature. I will post my comparison of Arya and HEK v2 on Forge and both DACs as soon I can.

Frankly, Arya is a monster. It brings so much detail and enjoyment to my average quality YouTube music files that is unprecedented for me. It really sings. I would easily settle for it if not for the quick listening fatigue. I have seen a few comments about lack of fatigue for others and I think it might be my poor source or lack of experience with any bright headphones that may be making it more prominent for me and burn in may be another factor.. It is an engaging listen for sure as comparted to more relaxed listen on HEX v2 or HEK v2 . I used to think that I liked more relaxed listening but Arya is really making me reevaluate my sonic preferences. I have always looked for only 1 favorite headphone but now i am thinking that I might keep it even if I like HEK v2 better because it offers something different.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #8,253 of 11,883
I would definitely want to be able to help you back some. My HEK V2 arrived a few days ago and on modest combo of Zen DAC and Xduoo MT 604, bass is just not comparable to Arya SE. Its interesting because it has larger sound stage and more mid presence but still less immersive due to lack of bass compared to Arya SE. It may not be fair comparison because HEK v2 probably did not open up with 2W output of MT 604 and may need more power than Arya SE. I have actually also ordered Ampsandsound Forge ( which can apparently have up to 6W equivalent output) as well as Ares 2 because I want to give Arya and HEK v2 best chance to come closer to my desired sound signature. I will post my comparison of Arya and HEK v2 on Forge and both DACs as soon I can.

Frankly, Arya is a monster. It brings so much detail and enjoyment to my average quality YouTube music files that is unprecedented for me. It really sings. I would easily settle for it if not for the quick listening fatigue. I have seen a few comments about lack of fatigue for others and I think it might be my poor source or lack of experience with any bright headphones that may be making it more prominent for me and burn in may be another factor.. It is an engaging listen for sure as comparted to more relaxed listen on HEX v2 or HEK v2 . I used to think that I liked more relaxed listening but Arya is really making me reevaluate my sonic preferences. I have always looked for only 1 favorite headphone but now i am thinking that I might keep it even if I like HEK v2 better because it offers something different.
This makes so much sense to me, and echoes why I picked the Arya over the HEKV2 a year ago or so. But yes, the HEKV2 does need a good bit more juice, so I’d be super curious to hear what the Forge does to it. Did you order a 32/300 ohm or 8/100 ohm version?

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #8,254 of 11,883
8/100 ohm version since you mentioned synergy with Arya on that one. I would guess that It should also suite the HEK v2 . I actually asked around in Ampandsound thread as well and also got Justin Weber's blessing about the Arya/Forge combo.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #8,255 of 11,883

I have definitely heard my Arya SE be really aggressive/dynamic and also (sorta) laid back due to the source. When I started opamp rolling on my Corda Classic, the stock ones were less controlled in the treble and bass region, and particularly when gaming (which can be EXTREMELY dynamic) it was awesome.... but mentally exhausting. When I changed to discrete opamps, I got more control across the frequency ranges and less fatigue.

But even still, there is no doubt the Arya SE was built to make an impression. It's not a headphone that's just there to give you a polite, understated experience.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #8,256 of 11,883
8/100 ohm version since you mentioned synergy with Arya on that one. I would guess that It should also suite the HEK v2 . I actually asked around in Ampandsound thread as well and also got Justin Weber's blessing about the Arya/Forge combo.
That’s great. The Arya synergy was something I chatted with Justin about as well. The warm sound of the 6SL7 tubes and amount of current that amp can put out is perfect for it. Paired with the Ares II you’ll have a very analogue character to balance the Arya’s occasional sharpness.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #8,257 of 11,883
I have definitely heard my Arya SE be really aggressive/dynamic and also (sorta) laid back due to the source. When I started opamp rolling on my Corda Classic, the stock ones were less controlled in the treble and bass region, and particularly when gaming (which can be EXTREMELY dynamic) it was awesome.... but mentally exhausting. When I changed to discrete opamps, I got more control across the frequency ranges and less fatigue.

But even still, there is no doubt the Arya SE was built to make an impression. It's not a headphone that's just there to give you a polite, understated experience.

Interesting, I actually did not know about opamp rolling as a concept. I guess there are many ways to arrive at one's perfect sound. For now, I am giving tube rolling a try first but will I will keep this in mind.
That’s great. The Arya synergy was something I chatted with Justin about as well. The warm sound of the 6SL7 tubes and amount of current that amp can put out is perfect for it. Paired with the Ares II you’ll have a very analogue character to balance the Arya’s occasional sharpness.

That's the hope. Theoretically they should align well but then again, we shall see.

I actually have a very basic (bordering on stupid ) question. Do you remember if Forge comes with RCA to RCA connector ? If not, can you point to a link to cable on amazon etc. I only bought balanced to balance cables due to Zen Dac's recommended output and believe it or not, I have never used RCA cables before.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #8,258 of 11,883
I actually have a very basic (bordering on stupid ) question. Do you remember if Forge comes with RCA to RCA connector ? If not, can you point to a link to cable on amazon etc. I only bought balanced to balance cables due to Zen Dac's recommended output and believe it or not, I have never used RCA cables before.
It does not come with one, no. Any RCA connector should do just fine! I’m definitely one who hears a difference between connectors, but a basic Amazon basics RCA cable will do the trick:

Amazon Basics 2-Male to 2-Male RCA Audio Stereo Subwoofer Cable - 4 Feet https://a.co/d/c8mt1Mp

Aug 23, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #8,260 of 11,883
I have actually also ordered Ampsandsound Forge ( which can apparently have up to 6W equivalent output) as well as Ares 2 because I want to give Arya and HEK v2 best chance to come closer to my desired sound signature. I will post my comparison of Arya and HEK v2 on Forge and both DACs as soon I can.
My dream setup. Interested in hearing your thoughts on your new system. :)

Aug 23, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #8,261 of 11,883
By the way, any of the Arya owners on this thread who went to the HEKV2 want to talk me into upgrading myself? I got a really good offer on a set, but am still afraid of losing that sense of immediacy that Arya provides for that huge stage of the HEKV2...decisions!
Just stumbled over this very nice comparison between two, sitting on the fence myself between Arya V3 and HE1000v2.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #8,262 of 11,883
I'm a month in on my Arya SE's and enjoying them very much. At the risk of causing a riot, very much prefer not to eq. I mean, I tried it. But after hearing the difference, it seemed kinda silly to eq them to the point where what makes them them, is no longer there. But to each their own I guess.
To be honest after 4 months of Arya SE ownership I don't even think about it. They are just perfect the way they are.

A good, deep and impactful bass: strong and present when the tracks asks for it, subtle when needed. Good spacious stage, airy and open but with zero fatigue.

I'm actually EQing my other HPs to sound like the Arya SE.

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #8,263 of 11,883
I used to think that I liked more relaxed listening but Arya is really making me reevaluate my sonic preferences.
ahahah same here.
I'm a month in on my Arya SE's and enjoying them very much. At the risk of causing a riot, very much prefer not to eq. I mean, I tried it. But after hearing the difference, it seemed kinda silly to eq them to the point where what makes them them, is no longer there. But to each their own I guess.
I never thought i'd like this tuning after using Ananda over a year. I always eq'ed that headphone. It's a good example why FR is not everything. Arya SE just sounds so good. I'm trying and evaluating my EQ since i got them but i'm always defaulting back to stock sound. I'm just using xbass of ifi zen can for games/movies and sometimes for music if i feel like it.

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #8,265 of 11,883
But the sound does not justify the $3k tag. More like $1.5k to $2k.

I agree, but all the top headphones have pricing issues. LCD4 is worth 4000 ? Utopia 4000 ? Final D8000 pro 4300 ? Diana 3500-4000 ? The Elite 4000 ? yeah.........

Sometimes you gotta pay to play. Arya SE kind of makes all top headphones seem overpriced tho. But they are definately a step or two down in terms of build quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back