HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #8,236 of 11,884
V2

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #8,241 of 11,884
It's quite different. they are very different headphones, different presentations.

Way more low end on the Empys, not as fast, they're warmer, etc. Both are very good with imaging tho.
Thank you. I just tried the Empys at a local store. Gorgeous headphones to look at. The sound was good but unfortunately they were just plugged into an IFI Diablo portable single ended. The soundstage was wider in comparison to the V3. Bass definitely hit harder. Certain instruments like cymbals, flutes and bass horns sounded amazing. Vocals were very good too. They sounded like a very good speaker. Very tempted to keep a lookout for an used pair.

Aug 21, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #8,242 of 11,884
I'm getting ready to offload a bunch of gear, not my V2. Need to balance the books. But in the meantime my Mojo 2 arrived after a 3 month wait and is seems to be driving my V2 with ease and I love the to tonality and presentation. Giving me a lot to think about.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #8,243 of 11,884
Thank you. I just tried the Empys at a local store. Gorgeous headphones to look at. The sound was good but unfortunately they were just plugged into an IFI Diablo portable single ended. The soundstage was wider in comparison to the V3. Bass definitely hit harder. Certain instruments like cymbals, flutes and bass horns sounded amazing. Vocals were very good too. They sounded like a very good speaker. Very tempted to keep a lookout for an used pair.
graph (2).png

FR doesn't have peaks but it's a bit extreme in terms of warmth. A chunk is missing above 1k which should accentuate 200hz more. Controversial headphone. Would like to hear some day. How is it against Arya SE in terms of ''technicalities'' ?

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #8,244 of 11,884
graph (2).png
FR doesn't have peaks but it's a bit extreme in terms of warmth. A chunk is missing above 1k which should accentuate 200hz more. Controversial headphone. Would like to hear some day. How is it against Arya SE in terms of ''technicalities'' ?
It's hard to say but my intial impression is that the Arya is slightly more capable and only in certain things. But my Arya SE is powered by Audio-gd Master 9 and the Metrum R2R NOS dac with Audrivana on Mac. The Empy was powered by a IFI Diablo (portable).

Overall Empys sound thick. Very speaker like. Whereas the Aryas sound more ethereal. Initial transient response is faster on the Arya - again could be an amp/dac thing too.

Both have good resolution. Aryas just seem to go a tad deeper into the recording especially in the upper mids and treble. Empys do go deep but thats not the highlight of the show. Also, the way the Empys present wind instruments - just wow. You can hear the air coming out.

Vocals were good on both. Cymbals were very natural on the Empys. Snare drums - initial hit - Arya. String instruments - aryas a tad nicer because of the decay having a bit more resolution.

Bass hits hard on the empy with a bit of bloom. Speed wise I would say Arya. Not that the empys are slow - just the bloom makes it a tad slow.

Soundstage - bigger on the empy especially in width. Imagining good on both.

If I was mixing or using a headphone for professional reasons - hands down Arya. If I just wanted to sit back and get lost into the music - Empys.

Empys are definitely overpriced. Yeah they are beautiful to look at and just ooze quality engineering. But the sound does not justify the $3k tag. More like $1.5k to $2k.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #8,245 of 11,884
I definitely found the Arya Stealth to be a tonal improvement over the V2, you might find it comes closer to the tone of the ADX5000. Of course, a dynamic driver will sound inherently different from a planar diaphragm, but I think the Arya Stealth gets pretty close to reality on pretty much everything (except maybe trumpets and vocals).

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #8,246 of 11,884
By the way, any of the Arya owners on this thread who went to the HEKV2 want to talk me into upgrading myself? I got a really good offer on a set, but am still afraid of losing that sense of immediacy that Arya provides for that huge stage of the HEKV2...decisions!

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #8,247 of 11,884
I definitely found the Arya Stealth to be a tonal improvement over the V2, you might find it comes closer to the tone of the ADX5000. Of course, a dynamic driver will sound inherently different from a planar diaphragm, but I think the Arya Stealth gets pretty close to reality on pretty much everything (except maybe trumpets and vocals).
Yeah, the problem with my V2, is that it sounds a lot like adx5000 :D I want to have 2 different sounding headphones in my arsenal. One neutral and semi bright (ADX5000) and one warm and bassy (Maybe LCD-X or Erzetich Phobos)

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #8,248 of 11,884
Yeah, the problem with my V2, is that it sounds a lot like adx5000 :D I want to have 2 different sounding headphones in my arsenal. One neutral and semi bright (ADX5000) and one warm and bassy (Maybe LCD-X or Erzetich Phobos)
Warm and bassy and LCD-X? LCD-2 pre fazor if you can find one, or LCD-3 pre fazor and then update them to the 2021 pads and headband. The only thing with the pre fazor models is reliability.

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #8,249 of 11,884
Hmm I’m not biased or anything, but what about the Aeolus as a warm and bassy complement?

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #8,250 of 11,884
Hmm I’m not biased or anything, but what about the Aeolus as a warm and bassy complement?
I would prefer Planar for the second pair, but i have looked at those too, not a bad choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back