HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #8,056 of 11,880
Eh, pretty sure that is not accurate framing, but those are your conclusions. I would never suggest to a user to consume less information though just because you don't think its useful. Consume all of the information and let people come to their own conclusions.
Noted.....

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #8,057 of 11,880
...Separately I was impressed by HiFiMan's R2R DAC. It sounded to me like it had a slight delay effect added to the sound. I wouldn't call it accurate but it was really fun and enjoyable
probably the phase shift between the channels will be responsible for it...

UNBALDashboard-1-1536x840.jpg
Phase-1536x784.jpg

Screenshot_20220802-072731_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #8,058 of 11,880
Maybe I'm just less fussy... or maybe I'm losing a little bit of the top end of my hearing range as I approach 40 (although I don't feel like I've lost any range just yet)... but I spent a long time at the HifiMan table at CanJam London this weekend testing out lots of things that I'm writing about in various as relevant, one of which is to give the Arya Stealth another go, having already turned it down around 9 months ago when I opted for the V2 instead.

If anything, i'd say the Stealth I heard yesterday will have been more burned in than the one I tested last year. What I found was that it was really very similar sounding to the V2. More than my original test. Still that slightly reduced stage, and more punch, but I barely noticed any difference in the highs between the two.

I've spent tonight re-kindling my bond with my V2 on the Ares II / Soloist 3XP combo. I honestly cannot find a fault with it. Places where I expected to have my ears hit by the sharp highs did happen. The Space and stage have better than everything I've tested so far (I have Atriums on the way so let's see if that changes things). And the bass extension has been perfect for my taste.

Separately I was impressed by HiFiMan's R2R DAC. It sounded to me like it had a slight delay effect added to the sound. I wouldn't call it accurate but it was really fun and enjoyable
Ares II is on my wishlist for next dedicated DAC. I've been enjoying my V2 straight out of the EF400 built in Himalayan R-2R though. Although the 3XP has slightly better separation and stage width, I find everything sounds a bit more distant with them. I get a more fun and immersive feeling with EF400 and performance wise is not far off.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #8,059 of 11,880
How about a chord mojo 2? Warm sound, enough power for the Arya Stealth, and very little space. They're also pretty popular now, so re-selling it if you don't get along wouldn't be the hardest thing.
ooo you know, that never crossed my mind! Thanks for that suggestion! There should be plenty of second hands too, must look into this now. Oh great, now you've got me spending more money lmao

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #8,060 of 11,880
probably the phase shift between the channels will be responsible for it...

UNBALDashboard-1-1536x840.jpgPhase-1536x784.jpg
Screenshot_20220802-072731_Gallery.jpg
That seems very plausible to me. The way I described it to the guy at the stand was as though you've run the sound through a delay pedal (as guitarists, bass players, etc, do) with a very very quick delay which creates a sense of slight echo which widens the "room".

I'm glad to see that I didn't just imagine it. 40 year old ears still holding up :D

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #8,061 of 11,880
At the beginning, I also felt that this was positive, "analog" like.
But over time it has changed, and I noticed more and more, that the imaging was destroyed...

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #8,062 of 11,880
ooo you know, that never crossed my mind! Thanks for that suggestion! There should be plenty of second hands too, must look into this now. Oh great, now you've got me spending more money lmao
Happy to be an enabler in this hobby/addiction :sunglasses:

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #8,066 of 11,880
It lacks punch, yes, but it’s also just laid back in its presentation. It’s almost like each note has what Resolve once referred to (when talking about the Auris Euterpe amp) as a “pillow filter” that’s always turned on. It’s almost hauntingly beautiful and ambient in certain tracks, but lacks energy and a sense of directness in others. If you want to relax and get TONS of natural-sounding detail, the HEKV2 is an extraordinary headphone. But if you want drive, the Arya Stealth does it better.
Though I haven't had/heard the HEKV2, I did have the Arya V2 for over a year (I traded it in for the Stealth). It too was sorta "wimpy" in the bass dynamics dept - that was, until I drove it with much more power than what it was regularly driven with. After driving them via a preamp-levelled ~12W amp. After they were hooked up with that amount of (preamp governed) power, they could no longer be called "wimpy" in the bass dynamics dept at all - the extra power seemed to literally make those drivers "jump", LOL. I wonder if the HEKV2 would do/be the same???

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #8,067 of 11,880
Oh great, now you've got me spending more money lmao
Don't worry, that's what money is made for - to spend it, LOL. Seriously though, used high end gears are some of the best price to performance ratio'd gears one can find - the hardest parts being to narrow down your choices and then finding the exact piece you want within reason.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #8,068 of 11,880
Though I haven't had/heard the HEKV2, I did have the Arya V2 for over a year (I traded it in for the Stealth). It too was sorta "wimpy" in the bass dynamics dept - that was, until I drove it with much more power than what it was regularly driven with. After driving them via a preamp-levelled ~12W amp. After they were hooked up with that amount of (preamp governed) power, they could no longer be called "wimpy" in the bass dynamics dept at all - the extra power seemed to literally make those drivers "jump", LOL. I wonder if the HEKV2 would do/be the same???
That’s what I found with the Arya V2 as well with the FA-10, but I owned that amp at the same time I owned the HEKV2, and I didn’t find it to be the case. There’s more bass quantity on the HEK, but it doesn’t affect a certain softness heard across the frequency range. The only amp I’ve heard really inject the HEKV2 with some intensity was a friend’s fully burnt-in THR-1, possibly because of its relatively high output impedance.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #8,069 of 11,880
That’s what I found with the Arya V2 as well with the FA-10, but I owned that amp at the same time I owned the HEKV2, and I didn’t find it to be the case. There’s more bass quantity on the HEK, but it doesn’t affect a certain softness heard across the frequency range. The only amp I’ve heard really inject the HEKV2 with some intensity was a friend’s fully burnt-in THR-1, possibly because of its relatively high output impedance.
Thanks for the response. Isn't it sort of amazing how different pieces in a chain make up different final SQ outcomes. This is another feather in the cap for system synergy, IMO.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #8,070 of 11,880
Bit the bullet and ordered a HEKV2 for 50% off at Audio Advisor. Was gonna wait a bit and eventually trade in my Arya V2, but the deal was too good to pass on. Just hoping I don't have to upgrade any of my amps again to be able to drive HEKV2 properly. 😅

Now only if the Susvara would come down in price...🤔

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• kvet
Back