HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #8,027 of 11,880
Thanks for the Arya Stealth, Utopia comparisons. I would get a good price on a new Utopia at a retailer, but would still be double the price of the Arya Stealth. I've owned an HE 1000 SE for almost two years and occasionally regret selling it. How close is the Arya Stealth to the HE 1000 SE?

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #8,028 of 11,880
I have also treated mine to a burn in, because the manufacturer recommends it.
But that any sharpening in the highs thereby disappear, is not the case.

I can not mention often enough,
that you give away a Lot amount of potential,
if you do not personalize the frequency response.
The hamann curve as the starting point (not the end point) is great.
Out of the box, the tells would be much too bright for me, too.

it is just the tonality of the Arya.
Flat up to approx. 1khz, dip at 2khz,
strong increase from. 3khz.
This MUST sound bright

Screenshot_20220730-083235_Samsung Internet.jpg
So I've been digging a bit on equalizing, thinking that I was more or less stuck since I use apple music. Apparently that is not the case; I discovered that the Peace EQ actually does work when using a PC. I've looked around a bit online, and the eq itself has some auto options. But I must say, I am a little overwhelmed.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #8,029 of 11,880
Jul 30, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #8,030 of 11,880
So I've been digging a bit on equalizing, thinking that I was more or less stuck since I use apple music. Apparently that is not the case; I discovered that the Peace EQ actually does work when using a PC. I've looked around a bit online, and the eq itself has some auto options. But I must say, I am a little overwhelmed.
Just start over and put it in exactly like this. Have the graph open to because it helps you realize what is being changed to give you a better visual understanding of what is going on.

1645900970545.png

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #8,032 of 11,880
IMO, when I moved up to a dedicated desktop setup with a seperate DAC and amp the immediate result was muuuch cleaner audio presentation, with much more clarity, stereo separation, a much easier time driving them (I had the V2's at the time), and much better resolution via the much quieter background - and that was with a moderate setup that didn't cost any more than about $250~$275. It was the Topping D30 (~$125) feeding a Schiit Magni 3+ (~$125) and it was my first venture into separates for the desktop. Later on I did buy my first better/more capable amp used for $150 - ie: the Emotiva A-100 - and that really gave the v2's punch, dynamics, bottomless hard-hitting bass, and an unrestrained and unfettered quality (the v2's are substantially harder to drive compared to the Stealths). I did level up one more time to the system I have and use today - that's TBC later if you wanna know (oh, it's in my source chain list - SMSL Su-9 and Gustard H20, the best I've owned and not too much coin)....
I have contemplated on trying out something separate. Two things hold me back however:
  1. Space
  2. Uncertain outcomes
Space on my desktop isn't such that there's no space, but I do like a clean setup without too many things. That said I definitely could fit in a dedicated dac and amp. The Topping offerings have been seriously tempting tbh. At the same time though, I'm finding that my preference towards a slightly warmer sound signature is my kinda feel, I'm not sure the Topping is the best choice. Tubes are lovely, but take up way too much space for me (unless there's a compact version - low profile without a giant transformer etc.)

The uncertain outcomes is probably the biggest thing for me. That factor probably holds me back the most. I'm not sure if other enthusiasts are like this, but if I get something, and it's not really for me, I still end up keeping it because I can't stand the hassle of re-selling it haha.

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #8,033 of 11,880
But that any sharpening in the highs thereby disappear, is not the case.
We may hear that differently about that. The Arya being less sharp after burn in/play in also depends on the chain they're driven with (amp expecially). When I had the v2's, I made the effort to use a Class A amp that is revealing but not super harsh/bright in the treble. Combined with burn in, that went a long way towards mitigating the excess treble sharpness of the v2's - as well as the Stealths.

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #8,034 of 11,880
I just put in an order for a new amp. Audio-gd Master 9. 9watts of class A into 40 ohms. Aryas should be happy.
Please let us know how the pairing sounds. I've been interested in Audio-GD for some time...

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #8,035 of 11,880
REW with Peace can be daunting but luckily there's all types of YouTube videos and EQ guides on the interwebs. You can also paste EQ via text. It works on musiv files but is bypassed using true Exclusive Modes on some streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #8,036 of 11,880
I have contemplated on trying out something separate. Two things hold me back however:
  1. Space
  2. Uncertain outcomes
Space on my desktop isn't such that there's no space, but I do like a clean setup without too many things. That said I definitely could fit in a dedicated dac and amp. The Topping offerings have been seriously tempting tbh. At the same time though, I'm finding that my preference towards a slightly warmer sound signature is my kinda feel, I'm not sure the Topping is the best choice. Tubes are lovely, but take up way too much space for me (unless there's a compact version - low profile without a giant transformer etc.)

The uncertain outcomes is probably the biggest thing for me. That factor probably holds me back the most. I'm not sure if other enthusiasts are like this, but if I get something, and it's not really for me, I still end up keeping it because I can't stand the hassle of re-selling it haha.
Fear of the unknown, LOL, we've all been there. You could go back to earlier posts in this thread to see what people are using with their Aryas. There's also other sites like forums at HiFi Guides, forums at Headphones.com, and some others (I'd skip ASR though). Generally, for your first setup you don't have to go super-sized or super-duper mode, just something mid-ranged that outperforms the Element. My first setup was a Topping D30 and a Schiit Magni 3+ discrete amp - the amp being more important, IMO. I'd look for something discrete-ish and Class AB or Class A before the "par for the course" small IC-based DAC/amps. I understand your aesthetic concerns but if you really want to better your performance some compromizes might have to be made - there's tons of manageable-sized gear that'll fit your use-case. Keep reading and researching.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #8,037 of 11,880
Fear of the unknown, LOL, we've all been there. You could go back to earlier posts in this thread to see what people are using with their Aryas. There's also other sites like forums at HiFi Guides, forums at Headphones.com, and some others (I'd skip ASR though). Generally, for your first setup you don't have to go super-sized or super-duper mode, just something mid-ranged that outperforms the Element. My first setup was a Topping D30 and a Schiit Magni 3+ discrete amp - the amp being more important, IMO. I'd look for something discrete-ish and Class AB or Class A before the "par for the course" small IC-based DAC/amps. I understand your aesthetic concerns but if you really want to better your performance some compromizes might have to be made - there's tons of manageable-sized gear that'll fit your use-case. Keep reading and researching.
Spot on.

Just to add - don't rely on the reviews. Half of them are baked from the manufacturers themselves. I do keep an eye on certain head-fi members who's opinion I would trust in a heart beat. I have arrived at this conclusion after being a member here for almost a decade.

If you can buy used, do that instead so that you don't lose much if you don't like it (if unable to audition). Yesterday's TOTL is not crap today.

Tube amps are a waste of time unless you are gonna spend large. The quality of the transformer makes a big difference.

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #8,038 of 11,880
  1. Space
  2. Uncertain outcomes

How about a chord mojo 2? Warm sound, enough power for the Arya Stealth, and very little space. They're also pretty popular now, so re-selling it if you don't get along wouldn't be the hardest thing.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #8,039 of 11,880
Oy. I understand the Q, Gain, and Frequencies. No idea on the BW/S, Deviation from Target, or Preference rating? Not sure if those are setting I need to put somewhere or outcomes of some sort?
I never paid attention to that stuff. I just manually put them in and played around with it for fun, but I listen to the stock settings.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #8,040 of 11,880

Exactly. I'd actually highly recommend ASR to help you read between the lines. Expensive does not equate to "better". Everyone is chasing the what if(me) and fear of missing out and many are just addicted to shopping and having new gear. I've read too many impressions that result in a wash when comparing to cheaper and more expensive products. Is that because there was never a difference to hear in first place ? Just because someone else claims they hear a difference in something doesn't mean there actually is......but you can't disprove that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back