HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 4, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #7,456 of 11,881
Do you listen to bass heavy music ? That uses the most power. Cause if you like it loud in general and especially with bass heavy music, you might be turning it up more than you would otherwise if it was adequately powered.
Hey, I got the new amp today, ifi idsd signature... you were very right the extra power makes a huge difference, the headphones are warmer and the bass is completely different, far stronger and still clean no break up in quality.

Comparing the mojo 2 to the idsd sig I can say immediately that the mojo is more refined honestly, the volume dial has a dead zone from off to about quarter of a turn where there is no response from the headphones, the mojo is to my ears a smidge more transparent but I think that's down to the ifi being just warmer overall which is something I prefer anyway.

The power though makes all the difference, there is no straining, I don't have to go anywhere near Full volume, between half and 3/4 is plenty and very punchy. So even though the mojo is probably the more refined product it's clearly not the one for these headphones.

Attachments

• 20220504_102157.jpg
    20220504_102157.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #7,457 of 11,881
Yeah the SE is quite a bit easier to drive compared to earlier versions but I still like a little headroom in any power amp if I can afford it - and that practice also allows ample current for deep and dynamic bass too. It's pretty much always a good practice to have some extra power on tap to handle any dynamics that may come up when listening to music - as music is an infinitely changing signal consisting of both frequency and amplitude that a sine wave power spec won't necessarily account for. That's my logic behind 2W+ for the Aryas and that practice has served me pretty well up to this point (with planars and speakers alike)...but no harm to others that don't see the need, I'm not policing anyone.
I just want to make sure people not mistaken about maximal output power with sound quality. "Signal Quality" is the key for sound quality (dynamic range, detail, speed, etc), not the maximum wattage.

Like I wrote above, 2W only give you 3dB louder sound (it's only matter of loudness, not signal quality), and anyway at 1W you will have plenty of headroom left for Arya.

May 4, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #7,458 of 11,881
I just want to make sure people not mistaken about maximal output power with sound quality. "Signal Quality" is the key for sound quality (dynamic range, detail, speed, etc), not the maximum wattage.

Like I wrote above, 2W only give you 3dB louder sound (it's only matter of loudness, not signal quality), and anyway at 1W you will have plenty of headroom left for Arya.
Signal quality is a requirement for good sound quality but if there's not enough power to amplify that signal adequately, even the greatest-est and best-es signal quality will not make an amp not clip - mildly in many circumstances, but badly in some circumstances. You'll not get to enjoy that pristine signal quality to it's maximum if the amp isn't up to par. Mild clipping may be somewhat masked by the music's volume but gross clipping will make you turn the volume down or take off the HPs pretty quickly. "It takes two to make a thing go right..." (taking that quote from an '80's hip-hop song), so to speak - signal quality and power quantity. Off topic and off my rocker...happy listening all.

May 5, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #7,459 of 11,881
May 5, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #7,464 of 11,881
oh boy... have i said that a few times haha
Yeah. I refuse to say "End Game" now that I've been in the hobby for four years.

The way I use that phrase now is:

End Game - Something that i'm currently perfectly happy with and not thinking of selling. All of what I own right now falls into that category and I'm not really searching anymore. So until something else exciting comes along i'm pretty much in my end game as well.

May 5, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #7,465 of 11,881
This is a strange headphone on the good sense, although it is definitely a touch lean and a tad bright, it has this kind of magic and it always sounds very engaging and organic with correct instrumental timbre.
It is very addicting and when I start listening I can't take it out of my head although my end game is the Elite.
Some headphones work in a mysterious ways!!!

May 5, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #7,466 of 11,881
Yeah. I refuse to say "End Game" now that I've been in the hobby for four years.

The way I use that phrase now is:

End Game - Something that i'm currently perfectly happy with and not thinking of selling. All of what I own right now falls into that category and I'm not really searching anymore. So until something else exciting comes along i'm pretty much in my end game as well.
my end game happened back in 2012 or so, i literally walked away from it all and was done, my wallet was in recovery mode, i got married, had 3 kids, bought a house, bought a car, bought a motorbike, was having a good go at life... then i decided a few months back to buy myself some sony ier m9's, loved them, bought some 64 audio u12t's... loved them even more, then started buying amps and headphones and here we are... broke again and saying ''this is my end game'' haha yeh righty oh.

May 5, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #7,467 of 11,881
my end game happened back in 2012 or so, i literally walked away from it all and was done, my wallet was in recovery mode, i got married, had 3 kids, bought a house, bought a car, bought a motorbike, was having a good go at life... then i decided a few months back to buy myself some sony ier m9's, loved them, bought some 64 audio u12t's... loved them even more, then started buying amps and headphones and here we are... broke again and saying ''this is my end game'' haha yeh righty oh.
homeless_audiophile_nut.gif

May 7, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #7,469 of 11,881
Yes. It's my end game . My search stops here.
I'll believe it when I see/hear it, LOL:L3000:. I'm already thinking of the HEKSE but don't really need it - or do I :thinking:?

May 7, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #7,470 of 11,881
I'm already thinking of the HEKSE but don't really need it - or do I :thinking:?
Does a "no" response to this question have a prayer, or are you just playing with rhetorical questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back