HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 1, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #7,426 of 11,881
That actually sounds like you have too little power if they are falling apart at higher volumes stock, which is why it wouldn't take EQ either, because you don't have enough headroom.
I would tend to agree with you and i suspected this may be the case, im only using a chord mojo 2 and it certainly needs to be pushed quite hard to get into what feels like a sweet spot, it gets loud and punches very well but there's a very small window where it does that and its up near max volume, somewhere between 3/4 and max volume is where the headphones really come alive and punch well but its certainly on the edge of being too much for the little mojo.

absolutely not enough headroom for sure, although on paper it would seem there should be enough power, make no mistake it gets extremely loud and thats kinda the problem, i like it loud.

May 1, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #7,427 of 11,881
I would tend to agree with you and i suspected this may be the case, im only using a chord mojo 2 and it certainly needs to be pushed quite hard to get into what feels like a sweet spot, it gets loud and punches very well but there's a very small window where it does that and its up near max volume, somewhere between 3/4 and max volume is where the headphones really come alive and punch well but its certainly on the edge of being too much for the little mojo.

absolutely not enough headroom for sure, although on paper it would seem there should be enough power, make no mistake it gets extremely loud and thats kinda the problem, i like it loud.

Do you listen to bass heavy music ? That uses the most power. Cause if you like it loud in general and especially with bass heavy music, you might be turning it up more than you would otherwise if it was adequately powered.

May 1, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #7,428 of 11,881
Do you listen to bass heavy music ? That uses the most power. Cause if you like it loud in general and especially with bass heavy music, you might be turning it up more than you would otherwise if it was adequately powered.
yes i like bass heavy music and you're right i do turn it up to get the drivers moving but it gets to a stage where its perfect and sounds amazing but just a click or 2 more and its not good at all, i think im going to change my mojo 2 for something like a ifi idsd signature, will have more headroom for sure i think.

May 1, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #7,429 of 11,881
yes i like bass heavy music and you're right i do turn it up to get the drivers moving but it gets to a stage where its perfect and sounds amazing but just a click or 2 more and its not good at all, i think im going to change my mojo 2 for something like a ifi idsd signature, will have more headroom for sure i think.

Right on, you can get a piece of cardboard that covers the entire earspace, cut a hole in it and stick a SPL meter in there to see exactly how loud you're listening. Because you may over the long run be causing greater hearing damage than you suspect.

May 1, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #7,430 of 11,881
Right on, you can get a piece of cardboard that covers the entire earspace, cut a hole in it and stick a SPL meter in there to see exactly how loud you're listening. Because you may over the long run be causing greater hearing damage than you suspect.
just ordered the new amp, thanks for the advice buddy, i absolutely suspected the amp was not providing enough current so just needed that confirmation :)

ive always listened to music a little on the loud side, in fact ive never had my hearing checked in the last 20 years but i really should because im 90 percent sure im a little deaf in one ear, most likely done over time from loud listening habits but it is what it is ya know, enjoy the hobby too much.

May 1, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #7,431 of 11,881
just ordered the new amp, thanks for the advice buddy, i absolutely suspected the amp was not providing enough current so just needed that confirmation :)

ive always listened to music a little on the loud side, in fact ive never had my hearing checked in the last 20 years but i really should because im 90 percent sure im a little deaf in one ear, most likely done over time from loud listening habits but it is what it is ya know, enjoy the hobby too much.

Now you can throw on a bass shelf and get that air pumpin boieeeee !

Yea when I measured I thought my loud was going to be overly loud, but what I would consider pretty loud was more or less at the safe limit of long term listening.

May 1, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #7,432 of 11,881
Now you can throw on a bass shelf and get that air pumpin boieeeee !

Yea when I measured I thought my loud was going to be overly loud, but what I would consider pretty loud was more or less at the safe limit of long term listening.
awesome stuff, thanks for your help and advice. also if 88 in your name was your birth year were the same age haha. getting old eh we. happy listening!

May 2, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #7,433 of 11,881
Which spots did you place the Classics into? Did you try both spots? If you've done that maybe you are simply treble sensitive and may need to switch to a much warmer HP. Either way, you won't lose much if they're in good shape when you sell them. Happy listening, friend.
The input stage. I heard that putting them in the volume stage results in some loss of transparency. And yes, if I can't come to terms with the Arya I will sell and get something warmer. Happy listening to you as well, my friend.

May 2, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #7,434 of 11,881
I am considering LCD X 2021 and Arya SE. Source to be used is FiiO M17. Which one sounds better with regards to my source?

May 2, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #7,435 of 11,881
I am considering LCD X 2021 and Arya SE. Source to be used is FiiO M17. Which one sounds better with regards to my source?

If you like ananda so much, the logical upgrade is Arya.

If you really like i4 and want the full size version, go for LCD-X.

May 2, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #7,439 of 11,881
Stealth version is a better headphone by far. But yes previous version did seem to have a bigger soundstage. And was more dreamy sounding.

If you want slam and dynamics you have to go with the new version. This is where it has improved the most.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #7,440 of 11,881
The input stage. I heard that putting them in the volume stage results in some loss of transparency. And yes, if I can't come to terms with the Arya I will sell and get something warmer. Happy listening to you as well, my friend.
To me, it'd be worth it to try different combos of opamps in every different place - even opamps from other companies - just to see what, if any, combos would work out better than "standard" configs. I would exhaust all options with the gear that I already have before I get back onto the gear trying, selling, and/or trading carousel. That would go towards satisfying the DIYer in me. That's just me though...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back