HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #5,342 of 11,943
Thats also one of the reasons i chose asgard. my dac upstream does have a tubey SS and if used it with a tube pre on my current amp. i noted that the simpler and shorter the chain, the net better it sounds (generally speaking). Asgard, to my mind, fits the bill AFA overall power output, 500 mw class A bias (for details) and reasonably ok soundstage. Its a warmer ss amp which takes care of the Sssss-y FR brightnesd. Ares2 and arya's inherently compliment the sounstaging aspects, and so the compromise here wud be slightly lesser width/depth from the gear in pairing with Asgard3. Im just concerned that it doesn't come across as too smooth or wooly, or not put out the details that the Ares2 and V2s are capable of?

AFA power goes, im guessing that's more than enough from asgard, though someone pointed out that more is required to really make them sing.. But that doesn't seem appropriate given that most ppl use their asgards around 10-12'o clock on the pot for hard to drive cans.

Sidenote: Im more in the 'captain slow camp' (technically whats enuff) than the clarkson (more powwaahh) camp, thus not chasing that i may not use. If im reaching ear bleed levels around 2'o clock and never going beyond that, dont see the point for more headroom. Yes, going to higher spec amps makes sense but only if they are designed better with expensive components, etc. that typically enhances/improves the SQ at the same output power level. But that's a compromise im willing to make for now, chosing asgard 3 over say a singxer sa1, jot2. Not having to deal with tubes and the costs thereof is more agreeable to me. If i needed tubes, i might as well get the Cayin IHA6 and be done for both arya and hd6xx. But then i just emptied my pockets on the Arya, so back to finding middle ground 😬
I had the ares 2 with a jot2 for a wile and was a very nice combination with the Arya

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #5,344 of 11,943
I asked this before, but a lot has changed in the last 6 or 7 weeks. I may have the chance to exchange my V2 for V3. I listen to a wide variety of pop/rock and movie scores. Think Pink Floyd, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Adele, Modest Mouse, Shakira, The Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Leon Bridges, Bruno Mars, Radiohead, etc. And then I love movie scores.

I do like the V2 and don't have any real complaints, but I am wondering if those with the V3 would see the V3 as a better fit for my preferences. Currently running the V2 through a Modi 3 and Asgard 3 most of the time, but also through a Mani/Magni Heresy stack for my turntable. So being easier to drive would be nice.

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #5,345 of 11,943
Currently running the V2 through a Modi 3 and Asgard 3 most of the time
Im thinking of doing the same. How has your experience been running them off asgard? Seems like you feel its not enough? Im in the same situation of whether i settle with asgard 3 now (mayb feeling something is missing later) or go whole hog and get a Jot2/Singxer SA1. 🤔

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #5,346 of 11,943
Im thinking of doing the same. How has your experience been running them off asgard? Seems like you feel its not enough? Im in the same situation of whether i settle with asgard 3 now (mayb feeling something is missing later) or go whole hog and get a Jot2/Singxer SA1.

Im thinking of doing the same. How has your experience been running them off asgard? Seems like you feel its not enough? Im in the same situation of whether i settle with asgard 3 now (mayb feeling something is missing later) or go whole hog and get a Jot2/Singxer SA1. 🤔
Really like this combo. V3 sounds amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_165950.jpg
    IMG_20211011_165950.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 11, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #5,347 of 11,943
I asked this before, but a lot has changed in the last 6 or 7 weeks. I may have the chance to exchange my V2 for V3. I listen to a wide variety of pop/rock and movie scores. Think Pink Floyd, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Adele, Modest Mouse, Shakira, The Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Leon Bridges, Bruno Mars, Radiohead, etc. And then I love movie scores.

I do like the V2 and don't have any real complaints, but I am wondering if those with the V3 would see the V3 as a better fit for my preferences. Currently running the V2 through a Modi 3 and Asgard 3 most of the time, but also through a Mani/Magni Heresy stack for my turntable. So being easier to drive would be nice.
I strongly recommend trying to get them both side by side and testing them out....

Visit the store (or another local store). It's a fun day out and you'll get the right answer...

Then you can let us know your thoughts 😜

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #5,348 of 11,943
I strongly recommend trying to get them both side by side and testing them out....

Visit the store (or another local store). It's a fun day out and you'll get the right answer...

Then you can let us know your thoughts 😜
That is unfortunately not possible where I am (Central California). I am not even 100% sure HIFIMAN will still do the exchange. I am waiting to hear more from them.

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #5,349 of 11,943
That is unfortunately not possible where I am (Central California). I am not even 100% sure HIFIMAN will still do the exchange. I am waiting to hear more from them.
Ah - shame.

Well my two pennies - your music list seems like it would mostly benefit more from openness/airy-ness and soundstage and separation than greater punch in the bass so I'd say V2 is just fine. But when you have an itch to scratch sometimes you can't help it, whether it's good for you or not.

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #5,350 of 11,943
I had the ares 2 with a jot2 for a wile and was a very nice combination with the Arya
2 questions there..

- hows the treble in terms of being super etched/extra crispy? Does the jot2 make the Aryas sibilent (of sorts) Read that the jot 2 has a glare, seems to artificially enhance treble?

- J. Valour mentioned that Jot2 compresses the sound. Now that wud be like killing the arya's true talent. Does that lead to any reduction in soundstage? Maybe having tried any other amp with ares and aryas?

Good to know your experience?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #5,352 of 11,943
2 questions there..

- hows the treble in terms of being super etched/extra crispy? Does the jot2 make the Aryas sibilent (of sorts) Read that the jot 2 has a glare, seems to artificially enhance treble?

- J. Valour mentioned that Jot2 compresses the soundstage. Now that wud be like killing the arya's true talent. Did u notice any reduction in soundstage? Maybe having tried any other amp with ares and aryas?

Good to know your experience?
Are you sure Josh said that about the Jot2? He's reviewed the original Jotunheim on his channel, but I don't believe he's reviewed the Jotunheim 2 yet. All the reviews of the Jot2 I've seen so far say that it doesn't have the same glare as the original Jot. As far as soundstage goes, reviews seem to say Jot2 has better soundstage/layering than chip amps (like the Toppings) but probably not the widest among discrete amps (like the Burson Soloist 3X, for example).

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5,353 of 11,943

Are you sure Josh said that about the Jot2? He's reviewed the original Jotunheim on his channel, but I don't believe he's reviewed the Jotunheim 2 yet. All the reviews of the Jot2 I've seen so far say that it doesn't have the same glare as the original Jot. As far as soundstage goes, reviews seem to say Jot2 has better soundstage/layering than chip amps (like the Toppings) but probably not the widest among discrete amps (like the Burson Soloist 3X, for example).
Thats good to know! +1 for Jot2.

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #5,355 of 11,943
yeah i kinda remembered/mixed up 2 reviews - josh's and passion for sound. And what you guys said is actually quite reassuring. Wondering though if lyr3 wud be end game (midfi) or wud that be a singxer sa-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

• HWB3
Back