HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #4,861 of 11,943
Ok...some preliminary impressions of the HEKV2 compared to the Arya:

This thing sounds like an Arya on a very good set of tubes. More bass bloom, wider (and slightly more "in-front") soundstage, more filled in upper midrange dip, better timbre, softer attack, and much more precise imaging (if that was even possible). The presentation reminds me of a way more technically capable Edition X V2 actually. It's very natural and neutral, yet highly resolving.

It took my brain a while to adjust from the Arya, which sounds more immediate, aggressive, and detail-forward in comparison (though not necessarily more detailed), and with punchier bass. I go back and forth as to which one I prefer, since the Arya's punch and aggression, from my FA-10 anyway, is really exciting and enjoyable with the right track. But now I just can't take the HEKV2 off my head. It's so eerily inviting.

I'll post more impressions as I keep listening!

The punch really isn't the same between the two ?

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #4,862 of 11,943
The punch really isn't the same between the two ?
That’s my perception, yeah. I think it has to do with the Arya’s stronger clamp force (mine anyway) which makes you feel the bass more palpably, then there’s the treble presentation that’s more forward, and it might have something to do with the 16 watts of power from the FA-10. The HEKV2’s overall sound is softer in comparison. But oh boy when you get used to it…it’s something special.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #4,863 of 11,943
Does anyone know whether the Arya V1 or V2 have the Stealth Magnets but were not marketed as such until now the V3 came out? Or did Hifiman really just started to incorporate the Stealth Magnets on the V3 only?

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #4,864 of 11,943
Does anyone know whether the Arya V1 or V2 have the Stealth Magnets but were not marketed as such until now the V3 came out? Or did Hifiman really just started to incorporate the Stealth Magnets on the V3 only?
According to their customer support, the magnets are all new on V3. They are a different headphone that the previous versions.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #4,865 of 11,943
Ok...some preliminary impressions of the HEKV2 compared to the Arya:

This thing sounds like an Arya on a very good set of tubes. More bass bloom, wider (and slightly more "in-front") soundstage, more filled in upper midrange dip, better timbre, softer attack, and much more precise imaging (if that was even possible). The presentation reminds me of a way more technically capable Edition X V2 actually. It's very natural and neutral, yet highly resolving.

It took my brain a while to adjust from the Arya, which sounds more immediate, aggressive, and detail-forward in comparison (though not necessarily more detailed), and with punchier bass. I go back and forth as to which one I prefer, since the Arya's punch and aggression, from my FA-10 anyway, is really exciting and enjoyable with the right track. But now I just can't take the HEKV2 off my head. It's so eerily inviting.

I'll post more impressions as I keep listening!
Choices, choices.... Good to have the option to choose btw 2 great cans though. 1st world problems, eh?

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #4,866 of 11,943
According to their customer support, the magnets are all new on V3. They are a different headphone that the previous versions.
Wow, makes me wanna the the V3's. IDK if I'm ready or willing to shell out the $$$$ when I've got a well played in and fully operational set of V2 Aryas that are barely a ~year old though. Maybe later if these still hold up.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #4,867 of 11,943
Yeah, I was offered an exchange for the V2 I bought in early August but declined. Decided to stick with what I know I love. The V3 have different magnets and are heavier. I worry about the sound being a change for the worse for me personally. From reviews, I do not think the headphones with stealth magnets would be my cup of tea. For all we know, this is a Focal Clear vs Focal Clear MG.

Sep 7, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #4,868 of 11,943
Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone who has both can do a mini review of their sonic differences.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #4,869 of 11,943
Perhaps the updates are carry over parts from the HEK***.. I wonder if it will sound smoother and have the same bass still ?

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #4,870 of 11,943
Just got them (V3 with Stealth Magnets) in!

stealth1.jpg

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

Measurement1.PNG

I immediately threw them on the EARS rig and that was the result. I measured multiple times and even swapped them around to the other mics which produced the same result.

What's with that 3.5hz dip on the left channel? -6db vs right channel...

They sound great!
Any chance of a picture of inside the ear cup?

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #4,871 of 11,943

Attachments

• PXL_20210908_113547501.jpg
    PXL_20210908_113547501.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #4,872 of 11,943
Sep 8, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #4,874 of 11,943
I don't see anything other than the horizontal screen lines. Nothing between them or disputing their pattern.
Thanks, yeah it looked that way,
Edit: *got my answer to the question in another thread,

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #4,875 of 11,943
Thanks, yeah it looked that way, which means it's changed closer to the HE-1000se than the Arya V2. Probably a bit early to ask but are the Highs bright present? Also is the bass almost overpowering at times or fine/lacking?
Good to know! Makes me extra glad I got the v3 if it's closer to the 1000se.

Highs are definitely bright and present. Extremely smooth and textured, never shrill unless the recording is shrill. The liveliness of the highs surprised me the most, not that they're just a bit emphasized but how fun they are due to their detail and smoothness.

Bass is also very good, I would never call it overpowering. But I wouldn't call it lacking either. Sometimes the quantity surprises me, and sometimes I want more (thank goodness for the bass boost on the iFi Signature, which is my source). Really depends on the mastering.

I also have a Clear MG, so my comparisons are relative to that. While I'm on the topic I'll also give more comparisons:

Clear MG is more "fun" due to it's dynamic punch; it's really remarkable. However it's also more overwhelming because of that. Due to the soundstage being a lot more focused around your head, the MG says "WOW LISTEN TO THIS MUSIC LOOK HOW AMAZING IT IS. LOOK!" It's an event and it takes precedent... the Focal point.

The Arya invites you in, in contrast. It's doesn't demand your focus in the same way. It's not playing FOR you, it's just playing. You can choose to listen or you can think about something else. It gets you to want to listen, that's really special, and frankly just really beautiful.

Technically they're on par with each other. Both truly a joy to listen to, very fortunate and grateful to have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• HWB3
Back