HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4,486 of 11,944
@chrisnyc75 I see in your signature, that you also own the ZMF Verites (Open or Closed?) Could you maybe write a few words about how this headphone is different to the Arya? I am very exited about the Verite after viewing/reading some of the reviews, but never heared one personally. Thank you!
Verite & Arya are similar only in that they both have big soundstage and are both very detailed. Other than that, their tonalities and strengths could not be more different. Where Arya is precise and shiny, Verite is warm and refined (I don't like to call it "smooth" because that implies a lack of dynamics, instead I like to say its treble is incredibly refined. Hearing every nuance & detail without the slightest hint of brightness really gives you a sense that you're listening to a world class flagship). Arya's biggest (only?) weakness - its lack of dynamic impact - is perhaps where Verite shines brightest. You really hear and feel the size and impact of sounds in a way I've never heard on any other headphone. Arya, on the other hand, is open in a way that Verite isn't at all, which can give it the upper hand in some live recordings. They are definitely two very different headphones, but they complement each other nicely. I never have to think about which one is the right choice for a given song or album or mood, it's just self evident because they are so different.

Everyone's preferences and use cases are different, but FWIW Verite is my go-to headphone for jazz, rock, acoustic, classical, and vocals. Arya is my go-to for electronic & pop. Arya is my planar magneitc choice for now and will eventually be traded for a Susvara, 1266, or the like. Verite is with me forever, it's my dynamic driver endgame.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #4,489 of 11,944
@chrisnyc75 what pads are you using with your verites?. I can't seem to hear what everyone says the VC's should sound like
Universe lambskin perforated

Fwiw, mine are VO not VC

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #4,490 of 11,944
You should try EQ from oratory first, before you decide what you are going to do next. For example, in my opinion, and a friend of mind, who listened to Heddphone, Susvara and LCD-2 without knowing anything about all of them, he found the LCD-2 to be only very slightly behind the susvara overall, but in some songs even better. Because the EQ transforms this headphone into an incredible beast of a headphone for its price bracket.

On the other hand i could not archive the same with the arya and the susvara sounded worse with EQ. I could imagine the LCD-X to be even better, if its just a technically better performing version of the LCD-2 with EQ. I will listen to them probably by the end of next week.

But if you don't like to EQ at all, even if there are profiles from oratory or others in the internet, i would not even consider buying the LCD-2 or keep it, because i personlly think it gets outclassed by huge margin compared to focal clear, arya, susvara and others, aside from poor sounding old songs :)

Your RME is fine, it get drive any headphone on the market just fine and it will never limit, unless the headphones needs even more power then the susvara.

@shreyanzh so far arya, but i don't know all of them, so please take it with a grain of salt
I don't like Oratory's EQ settings or the Harman Target results. To me, Oratory's is too heavy-handed in the bass and the bass-to-mid transition and Harman's targets change many HPs to a more "consumer-sounding" (read: mid-fi) presentation, taking away sound stage and delicacy. Of course this is my impression, they can be somewhat of a starting point though.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #4,491 of 11,944
As an individual who belongs to the Blue-Collar demographic, I do not have a lot of experience with high end equipment and that’s why I depend a lot on this kind of forums and web sites/YouTube channels that review high/semi hight end equipment before I consider to make a purchase. From the hundreds of reviews, videos, articles I’ve read/seen, I have to say you are probably the only person who believes the headphones should not be the most expensive part of your equipment, which is the reason why I respectfully take your opinion with a gran of salt. Based on your claim, the only thing my RME ADI 2 FS will power to its fully extend would be headphones under the 350 dollar range, like the Sundara, or maybe wired Beats. But please, if this is not the correct forum for someone of my social demographic, let me know and I will gladly unwatch this thread.

For everyone else, I’m still have not decided between the LCD X and Arya. The real issue is that I have been able to listen to the Aryas and not the LCD X, for me this will be it, the TOTL (for me) headphone in my set up. I currently own the 2021 V of the LCD 2 F and the Ananda. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I haven't heard the X but Arya is closer to he1000v2 and SE where Ananda is a grown up Sundara. I feel like Arya is a good step up from Ananda in presentation, making me satisfied enough that I no longer feel like chasing, and it'd cost me way more to get marginally better in some areas vs Arya's presentation. It was worth it to me others may disagree.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #4,492 of 11,944
I'm betting the Arya would sound better on a tube amp vs solid state. I wanted to get the Arya but after hearing so many reviews talking about the lack of bass I lost interest. I'm all for details and purity, but without the low end it's hard for me to justify the cost. Am I wrong here?

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #4,493 of 11,944
So i am currently running my HIFIMAN-ARYA with chord mojo and ....yeah it works....sounds good but i feel i am missing out a lot...... let's say its working to about 50-60% it's potential... would i be correct in assuming that..... anyway need some amp recommendations..... budget around 700usd....
Moar Powrrr... haha. I'd look at Gustard or Schiit, as I've owned their stuff, they're affordable, and perform well with Arya. Heard about Singxer too. Good stuff on the used market too. My personal recommend is something with 2 watts or better, discrete, and class A or AB. I'm not sold on the THX and chip amps for Arya, analog sounds more natural to me.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #4,495 of 11,944
I'm betting the Arya would sound better on a tube amp vs solid state. I wanted to get the Arya but after hearing so many reviews talking about the lack of bass I lost interest. I'm all for details and purity, but without the low end it's hard for me to justify the cost. Am I wrong here?
Arya has excellent bass, just not bass boosted like many HPs are. Most dynamic HPs have a mid-bass hump but Arya's is flat down to around or below 20hz. The Arya gives what it is given bass wise. It is also very detailed and layered bass with good bass texture.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #4,496 of 11,944
Arya has excellent bass, just not bass boosted like many HPs are. Most dynamic HPs have a mid-bass hump but Arya's is flat down to around or below 20hz. The Arya gives what it is given bass wise. It is also very detailed and layered bass with good bass texture.
I'm a sucker for textured bass that's for sure.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #4,497 of 11,944

Sorry for the double post. Networking issues here. Admin please delete this. Thanks

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #4,498 of 11,944
Couldn't have said better myself. I compared the Arya a lot with the hd800s and even though the 800s tonality IMO sounds more organic the fact that it's bass is so subdued made some music sound lifeless and sterile

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #4,499 of 11,944

Sorry for the double post. Networking issues here. Admin please delete this. Thanks
Double liked, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back