HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,945 of 11,883
Warning: some of the commonly used EQ solutions have strange solutions under 100 Hz. Some claim more bass is less popular then less - so add more (to hell with audiophiles and classical music fans). Others use square shaped rooms to suggest a room EQ that most are used to, and do that.

It's all rubbish. Open headphones made by HFM (HE-500, HE-6, HE-6se, HEX v1/v2/se, Arya, HEX v2, Ananada, 560). Take a look at reliable FR test result for your can. If its essentially flat with a 1-2 db slip below 50 Hz you can fill that in. That would be a much better solution for any of these cans than the lunatic suggestions. Oops, long can HFM's on the cheaper side (Ananda, HEX v2, Arya) all need another 1 or 1.5 db added in the bass on top of what I said (for me thats 20-45 because the impact is lesser than the round can members of the group.

You like colored bass and/or mid bass - add more, but at least you know your starting point.

Arya per se: at about 1800 Hz need a quick 2.5 db rise from 1600-2100 (only .5 db at the outside edges of the range) Hz to avoid hollow mids. Also needs a quick down 2-3 db around 5k (4700-5400) less at the edges - see parametric EQ's and Q settings.

Also irrespective of HR, the Arya rings like all HFM in the 8-10k range. Not sure where it is for Arya but after the FR settings are laid in go with a deep (3.5 db) but very short span. The round cup HFM's are worse - for instance my HE-500 has a -3.7 setting at 9100 Hz at a Q of 9.00. For the Arya its likely to be 2.5 db. Just look at a good waterfall plot and don't sweat the smaller ones, that 8-10 range can be irritating+. Use 12-15 differ type musics and just keep flipping it on an off and you'll hear it - but get EQ of FR done right first. If you have desire to add another setting very close you can, you just have to blend the 2 so that they give you at least 90% of you want from both).

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #2,946 of 11,883
Warning: some of the commonly used EQ solutions have strange solutions under 100 Hz. Some claim more bass is less popular then less - so add more (to hell with audiophiles and classical music fans). Others use square shaped rooms to suggest a room EQ that most are used to, and do that.

It's all rubbish. Open headphones made by HFM (HE-500, HE-6, HE-6se, HEX v1/v2/se, Arya, HEX v2, Ananada, 560). Take a look at reliable FR test result for your can. If its essentially flat with a 1-2 db slip below 50 Hz you can fill that in. That would be a much better solution for any of these cans than the lunatic suggestions. Oops, long can HFM's on the cheaper side (Ananda, HEX v2, Arya) all need another 1 or 1.5 db added in the bass on top of what I said (for me thats 20-45 because the impact is lesser than the round can members of the group.

You like colored bass and/or mid bass - add more, but at least you know your starting point.

Arya per se: at about 1800 Hz need a quick 2.5 db rise from 1600-2100 (only .5 db at the outside edges of the range) Hz to avoid hollow mids. Also needs a quick down 2-3 db around 5k (4700-5400) less at the edges - see parametric EQ's and Q settings.

Also irrespective of HR, the Arya rings like all HFM in the 8-10k range. Not sure where it is for Arya but after the FR settings are laid in go with a deep (3.5 db) but very short span. The round cup HFM's are worse - for instance my HE-500 has a -3.7 setting at 9100 Hz at a Q of 9.00. For the Arya its likely to be 2.5 db. Just look at a good waterfall plot and don't sweat the smaller ones, that 8-10 range can be irritating+. Use 12-15 differ type musics and just keep flipping it on an off and you'll hear it - but get EQ of FR done right first. If you have desire to add another setting very close you can, you just have to blend the 2 so that they give you at least 90% of you want from both).
tnx
it is possible to EQ Arya automatic
is what a program therefore

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,948 of 11,883
tnx
it is possible to EQ Arya automatic
is what a program therefore

Dunno. I pick from the FR/waterfall from one of the good sites. Then listen to my 7-8 favorite genres and try to find one setting that fits them all best. It takes time but the results are very nice.

I use a 6 and 10 band digital parametric associated Tidal/UAPP.

No hables Roon anymore left that when I left Linux...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,949 of 11,883
Dunno. I pick from the FR/waterfall from one of the good sites. Then listen to my 7-8 favorite genres and try to find one setting that fits them all best. It takes time but the results are very nice.

I use a 6 and 10 band digital parametric associated Tidal/UAPP.

No hables Roon anymore left that when I left Linux...
tnx for reply
a lot of them say that with the A90 / D90 they don't need EQ anymore, anyone has experience with this

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,950 of 11,883
tnx for reply
a lot of them say that with the A90 / D90 they don't need EQ anymore, anyone has experience with this

A very positive review right here talks about using up to a 4.5 +/- settings for the Arya and he was using the 90 pair.

I think the Arya is too far from flat for any pad, amp, cable, DAC to fit with it in a way to yield a near flat output. Mitigate and shape? Sure, but not to the degree you envisage. And if you could combine 3 items in your system to do that, your stuck with the Aryas for the time you have the 3 pieces.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,951 of 11,883
Interesting...
"Arya per se: at about 1800 Hz need a quick 2.5 db rise from 1600-2100 (only .5 db at the outside edges of the range) Hz to avoid hollow mids. Also needs a quick down 2-3 db around 5k (4700-5400) less at the edges - see parametric EQ's and Q settings." And, "Also irrespective of HR, the Arya rings like all HFM in the 8-10k range."

A couple months ago I got a pair of Aryas to explore this headphone price range. They are the updated ones with the fabric/foam rather than the metal screen/mesh. LOVE them - soundstage, imaging, detail, separation, layering, bass quality and quantity, even dynamics. NOT SO MUCH - midrange and upper-mid/lower HF. I am hearing reedy, sucked-out, thin vocals and hissy, spitty upper mids/lower HF; lots of nasty sibilance. That seems to fit with the above tuning description.

I'm NOT hearing/getting this on everything, but a lot of things I've listened to. On those recordings where I'm not hearing those things, the Aryas are simply superb. The best headphone I've owned/listened to.

I haven't gone the EQ direction, yet, but I have tried every DAC, amp, other headphone, and music playback tech combo I have to confirm isolation to which piece of gear might be contributing to this and whether some combo might provide the right synergy (gear EQ). Yes, things changed a bit of course, but the exploration pointed largely to the Aryas.

Maybe time to dig into EQ.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,953 of 11,883
is roon the best program for EQ .
Which program you use

Roon is very user friendly and overall a great solution, but not the only way. There plenty of options out there. Just be gentle with the EQ, your Arya's will appreciate it :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/faq

From this page:

"For Windows there’s nice suitable freeware in the form of EQ APO and Peace GUI. Here’s a tutorial on how to install & use EQ APO / Peace GUI."

Checkout oratory suggestions for EQ profiles, I prefer to only apply half of the suggested DB change he suggests, find your own taste for EQ by experimenting.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #2,954 of 11,883
Roon is very user friendly and overall a great solution, but not the only way. There plenty of options out there. Just be gentle with the EQ, your Arya's will appreciate it :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/faq

From this page:

"For Windows there’s nice suitable freeware in the form of EQ APO and Peace GUI. Here’s a tutorial on how to install & use EQ APO / Peace GUI."

Checkout oratory suggestions for EQ profiles, I prefer to only apply half of the suggested DB change he suggests, find your own taste for EQ by experimenting.
very helpful

what is the difference between EQ and Sonarworks,
Many with the Audeze X use Sonarworks, can we use with Arya

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,955 of 11,883
very helpful

what is the difference between EQ and Sonarworks,
Many with the Audeze X use Sonarworks, can we use with Arya

Sonarworks measure headphones, en create EQ presets. Little customization.

Normal EQ you do all the customization and 100% free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back