HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2,821 of 11,880
My subjective review/guide is based on rev 2 and can be found here: Arya's are better than many Arya owners realize...

Apart from a reduced 5khz peak, most rev 1 reviews here on head-fi and youtube are correct/on point for rev 2 in my experience. I especially appreciate the reviews where the Arya is compared to its main competitors like the Heddhpone, hd800s and Audeze. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arya+hd800s

For instance, I really enjoyed this one:

IMHO some reviews should highlight a little more how well Arya's scale with certain amps and respond so nicely to subtle EQ, but that's it.

Thanks for this info. My Arya arrived earlier this week and now has about 50 hours (blended listening time and pink noise burn in). Here are my early thoughts, keeping in mind I bought the Arya to compliment my LCD-3 (and replace my 800S and Fostex Purple Heart). NOS11 and DI-20 on DAC and amp duties - so, plenty power under the hood. I'm using a custom balanced Mogami cable that a friend made for me (quad core AWP 26) .

For now, as I know it's early days and honeymoon, this headphone has surprised me in a big way. I had high expectations based on reviews, but nothing could have prepared me for actually hearing it. It's fantastic. It occupies a space unlike anything I have heard. The sound is lighter than the LCD-3 and yet it's the perfect compliment. It doesn't have the same mid-bass punch as the LCD-3 (I agree with the reviews that mentioned this), but that's not it's strength, it's strength lies elsewhere (in many places). I was a little worried about this "lack" of mid-bass punch, but thankfully that fear has been laid to rest as it excels in other areas that carry it to new heights. Where the LCD-3 is a heavy hitter that walks into the room and makes itself known, the Arya is more laid back in its approach, it enters the room unannounced, but it brings unfathomable magic and class to the experience. It easily sits at the same table as the LCD-3, and for me, in many respects, it sits at the head of the table. There is just so much it does right. The stage is as close to perfection as I have heard (the 800S was too big a stage for me, and the 650 too small). Detail and instrument separation is out of this world - the ease with which I can follow instruments, no matter how busy the mix, is incredible). Timbre and texture is unreal. Bass representation is simply next level - among the best I have heard. Mids are lush, and treble sparkles (I don't find it sibilant at all).

The underlying theme with the Arya, if I had to sum it up, is that it's cohesive. It brings everything together in ways I have never heard or imagined. If I had to choose only a single headphone for this journey, the Arya would be that headphone. I can safely say that I'm super impressed at this early stage.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #2,822 of 11,880
I've had my Aryas a couple days now and given the timing, I haven't had a lot of time with them, just lying in bed but wow...
I am coming from the Anandas and am using an Ifi Zen Can as an amp. The sound is reminiscent of the Anandas sounding as cut from the same cloth but the Aryas are just better in every way. The Zen Can is on gain 3 as on the highest gain, I am too low on the volume knob. The lower gain settings seem like enough but there seems to be a dynamics shift going from the 2 to the 3 and the 3 fills out the midrange a little better...

Overall I am really impressed with the sound. I had been running my AK240 single ended into the RCA inputs but my cable had an intermittent hum so I bought a Hart Audio 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable which seems to have increased dynamics but maybe flattened the soundstage a little. There is a crazy holographic presentation to the Aryas that gives a sense of endless "air" and no definition to the outer reaches of the imaging capabilities. The Anandas were quite good but there was a sense of a virtual "room" that the performance was in, in maybe an artificial sense. The Aryas blow the walls of that room down and there is an effortless sense of the sound coming from the void. It's hard to explain but with the great clarity and extension, it's as if you can hear the music radiate everywhere off into the distance as well as at you... maybe its picking up room echos or something but it's so incredibly lifelike. It's got a bit of an electrostat quality that I haven't really heard since owning Stax many years ago. Still there is a bit of a planar foreshortening in comparison but maybe that would change with a higher powered amp.?.

Much more listening to do and I am looking at getting a Norne Draug or Drausk cable for them. I do notice that a lot of the characteristics are dependent more on the recording than a lot of headphones and iems I've tried.. And granted this is only my second set of headphones since being in IEM-land for a couple years. I just came from the Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 which are well known for a "holographic" soundstage but compared to the Aryas the Solaris are like looking at a very clear, 3D fishbowl. They are holographic but definitely have a sense of boundaries when the Aryas just extend almost forever..

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #2,823 of 11,880
EQ and hello bass on Arya for the newbies with them. I sold my Fostex TH900 once I EQ'ed the bass into the Arya.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #2,825 of 11,880
I was awaiting your impressions knowing you are coming from the Ananda. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying them.
I also have the Ananda and am very happy with them, but I am considering selling them to make the jump to the Arya. One part of my brain is saying don’t sell something you know you enjoy, but the other side is so curious l...
I've had my Aryas a couple days now and given the timing, I haven't had a lot of time with them, just lying in bed but wow...
I am coming from the Anandas and am using an Ifi Zen Can as an amp. The sound is reminiscent of the Anandas sounding as cut from the same cloth but the Aryas are just better in every way. The Zen Can is on gain 3 as on the highest gain, I am too low on the volume knob. The lower gain settings seem like enough but there seems to be a dynamics shift going from the 2 to the 3 and the 3 fills out the midrange a little better...

Overall I am really impressed with the sound. I had been running my AK240 single ended into the RCA inputs but my cable had an intermittent hum so I bought a Hart Audio 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable which seems to have increased dynamics but maybe flattened the soundstage a little. There is a crazy holographic presentation to the Aryas that gives a sense of endless "air" and no definition to the outer reaches of the imaging capabilities. The Anandas were quite good but there was a sense of a virtual "room" that the performance was in, in maybe an artificial sense. The Aryas blow the walls of that room down and there is an effortless sense of the sound coming from the void. It's hard to explain but with the great clarity and extension, it's as if you can hear the music radiate everywhere off into the distance as well as at you... maybe its picking up room echos or something but it's so incredibly lifelike. It's got a bit of an electrostat quality that I haven't really heard since owning Stax many years ago. Still there is a bit of a planar foreshortening in comparison but maybe that would change with a higher powered amp.?.

Much more listening to do and I am looking at getting a Norne Draug or Drausk cable for them. I do notice that a lot of the characteristics are dependent more on the recording than a lot of headphones and iems I've tried.. And granted this is only my second set of headphones since being in IEM-land for a couple years. I just came from the Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 which are well known for a "holographic" soundstage but compared to the Aryas the Solaris are like looking at a very clear, 3D fishbowl. They are holographic but definitely have a sense of boundaries when the Aryas just extend almost forever..

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #2,826 of 11,880
You have piqued my interest, care to share your settings?

I have already but no one ever wants to search. Here...you'll need EqualizerAPO (Peace)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Then use the configuration in the zip file I have below. You cannot bitstream to your DAC or you'll lose the EQ. Personally I'm not a stickler like plenty on here. Let the EQ do it's thing and enjoy.

Configuration files go to C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config assuming you used the default install directory.

This is the EQ levels and Q values when set with that zip file.

Attachments

• Hifiman Arya (Hartman Curve).zip
    651 bytes · Views: 0
  • set up.JPG
    set up.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,827 of 11,880
I have already but no one ever wants to search. Here...you'll need EqualizerAPO (Peace)

Then use the configuration in the zip file I have below. You cannot bitstream to your DAC or you'll lose the EQ. Personally I'm not a stickler like plenty on here. Let the EQ do it's thing and enjoy.

Configuration files go to C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config assuming you used the default install directory.

Yes now that you mention it I do remember a post about the program and the settings somewhere in this thread but the way you worded this post didn’t allude to a prior posting about said program or settings it seemed like a new post from another poster. That said thank you for taking the time to repost the information.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,828 of 11,880
These are great, and I kinda regret I didn't buy these from the start. A lot of headphones I now own or have previousely owned, have given me a feeling of being just ok, but not great or good enough. So I always wanted something better.

The Hifiman Arya is to the point where I just enjoy them and I cant see me replacing these. It might just be my endgame. They are sharp, spacious and full. Every type of music I throw at it just sounds enjoyable and great.

I have a set of LCD 3's aswell, which is the set I own which is closest to comparison. They are narrower i soundstage, have a stronger bass, but poorer upper mids. compared to the Arya. LCD3 is a great headphone, but far behind Arya imo.

So yeah, If you are wondering, go for it.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #2,829 of 11,880
I looked at yours too! The ican pro looks amazing! Wished I could try! Needed an all in one tho. 😫

You might want to take a look at NEO iDSD though. It's our latest DAC/amp. Or you might also sit tight untill late January. Can't say why, but it's worth the wait :sunglasses:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #2,831 of 11,880

Edit: I posted a more subtle tweak of this EQ for Roon users here - it can be used with APO etc. as well ofc.

Thanks for sharing this. I tweaked your EQ for Roon users. It is (surprisingly) excellent. I have been enjoying my Arya so much that I didn't consider EQ - it's fantastic straight out the box - but this preset makes it shine in new ways. Colour me impressed.

Note 1: Headroom must be minimum -5 (otherwise you will have clipping with some music)
Note 2: Use the Peak/Dip EQ curve for all bands
Note 3: I dropped the bass gain a bit from N0sferatu's APO settings, as I found it a bit exaggerated on the low end (this is just my subjective preference after playing around with the EQ)

1609140429924.png

Band 1: 20Hz | -0.5dB | Q 5.0
Band 2: 25Hz | 0.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 3: 32Hz | 1.5dB | Q 1.0 (drop gain to 1.0dB or 0.5dB if bass is too much - I prefer 0.5db)
Band 4: 40Hz | 0.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 5: 56Hz | 1.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 6: 96Hz | 1.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 7: 175Hz | -0.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 8: 2000Hz | 4.0dB | Q 3.0 (also sounds excellent with 3.0dB gain)
Band 9: 5000Hz | -1.0dB Q Q 5.0
Band 10: 7000Hz | 2.0dB | Q 4.0
Band 11: 8500Hz | 0.0Db | Q 0.9
Band 12: 10000Hz | -2.0dB | Q 5.0
Band 13: 15000Hz | 0.0dB | Q 2.0

Below is a screenshot of the EQ settings in Roon:

1609140905058.png

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,832 of 11,880
Thanks for sharing this. I tweaked your EQ for Roon users. It is (surprisingly) excellent. I have been enjoying my Arya so much that I didn't consider EQ - it's fantastic straight out the box - but this preset makes it shine in new ways. Colour me impressed.

Note 1: Headroom must be minimum -5 (otherwise you will have clipping with some music)
Note 2: Use the Peak/Dip EQ curve for all bands
Note 3: I dropped the bass gain a bit from N0sferatu's APO settings, as I found it a bit exaggerated on the low end (this is just my subjective preference after playing around with the EQ)

Band 1: 20Hz | -0.5dB | Q 5.0
Band 2: 25Hz | 0.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 3: 32Hz | 1.5dB | Q 1.0 (drop gain to 1.0dB or 0.5dB if bass is too much - I prefer 0.5db)
Band 4: 40Hz | 0.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 5: 56Hz | 1.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 6: 96Hz | 1.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 7: 175Hz | -0.5dB | Q 1.0
Band 8: 2000Hz | 4.0dB | Q 3.0 (also sounds excellent with 3.0dB gain)
Band 9: 5000Hz | -1.0dB Q Q 5.0
Band 10: 7000Hz | 2.0dB | Q 4.0
Band 11: 8500Hz | 0.0Db | Q 0.9
Band 12: 10000Hz | -2.0dB | Q 5.0
Band 13: 15000Hz | 0.0dB | Q 2.0

Below is a screenshot of the EQ settings in Roon:

Thanks! What tweaks do you recommend to mine besides less bass? I'm coming from a Denon D7000, Fostex TH900, and I have some powerful subs for home audio use (Seaton Submersive HP+ & Monoprice Monolith 15) so I'm used to thumping. :L3000:

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,833 of 11,880
Thanks! What tweaks do you recommend to mine besides less bass? I'm coming from a Denon D7000, Fostex TH900, and I have some powerful subs for home audio use (Seaton Submersive HP+ & Monoprice Monolith 15) so I'm used to thumping. :L3000:
I really enjoy the Arya sound as it is. I don't think it needs EQ. This is why I was rather surprised that I enjoyed the EQ tweaks so much. I've tweaked it further for my preferences (see below).

The only recommendation I can think of, would be to have a version of your EQ without the treble frequencies EQ'd. Depending on what type of music you listen to, you may be pleasantly surprised with some added clarity on resonant tones from guitars and other string instruments, pianos, keyboards etc.

I'm settling on the below EQ for now. It's a subtle tweak of my earlier Roon post, but with the bass toned down a bit more and the treble tweaks removed. It sounds fantastic.

This EQ just bumps up the bass a dB or two, and then compensates for the slight dip in the midrange around 2kHz. However, I don't think either of these tweaks are necessary, so it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. I would not have ventured down the EQ path with the Arya had I not read your post earlier. It's only because of the pleasant response I got to the EQ changes that I decided to fiddle a bit more.

Note 1: Roon settings shared below
Note 2: All EQ curves are Peak/Dip

Band 1: 20Hz | 0.8dB | Q 0.5
Band 2: 32Hz | 1.0dB | Q 1.0 (gain dropped to 0.5dB also sounds great)
Band 3: 48Hz | 1.0dB | Q 1.2 (gain dropped to 0.5dB also sounds great)
Band 4: 250Hz | -0.1dB | Q 1.0
Band 5: 1500Hz | 1.8dB | Q 1.2

1609186601745.png

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,834 of 11,880
I really enjoy the Arya sound as it is. I don't think it needs EQ. This is why I was rather surprised that I enjoyed the EQ tweaks so much. I've tweaked it further for my preferences (see below).

The only recommendation I can think of, would be to have a version of your EQ without the treble frequencies EQ'd. Depending on what type of music you listen to, you may be pleasantly surprised with some added clarity on resonant tones from guitars and other string instruments, pianos, keyboards etc.

I'm settling on the below EQ for now. It's a subtle tweak of my earlier Roon post, but with the bass toned down a bit more and the treble tweaks removed. It sounds fantastic.

This EQ just bumps up the bass a dB or two, and then compensates for the slight dip in the midrange around 2kHz. However, I don't think either of these tweaks are necessary, so it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. I would not have ventured down the EQ path with the Arya had I not read your post earlier. It's only because of the pleasant response I got to the EQ changes that I decided to fiddle a bit more.

Note 1: Roon settings shared below
Note 2: All EQ curves are Peak/Dip

Band 1: 20Hz | 0.8dB | Q 0.5
Band 2: 32Hz | 1.0dB | Q 1.0
Band 3: 48Hz | 1.0dB | Q 1.2 (gain dropped to 0.8dB also sounds great)
Band 4: 250Hz | -0.1dB | Q 1.0
Band 5: 1500Hz | 1.8dB | Q 1.2

1609186601745.png

Cool, I settled on subtle EQ tweaks myself, based on suggestions by the EQ guru Oratory1990. They are really similar to yours.

I just upgraded my D90 to the utterly magical Holo Audio May KTE, it has so much bass presence and definition, my bass shelf is currently now only +1db. I need to update my guide. :relaxed:

Without doubt your EQ is super dependant on the components in your set-up and your personal preferences. The amazing thing is that with the modest bass shelf and presence peak around 2K Aryas start competing with Audeze and Focal in the bass and speed department. Cool stuff!

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,835 of 11,880
Cool, I settled on subtle EQ tweaks myself, based on suggestions by the EQ guru Oratory1990. They are really similar to yours.

I just upgraded my D90 to the utterly magical Holo Audio May KTE, it has so much bass presence and definition, my bass shelf is currently now only +1db. I need to update my guide. :relaxed:

Without doubt your EQ is super dependant on the components in your set-up and your personal preferences. The amazing thing is that with the modest bass shelf and presence peak around 2K Aryas start competing with Audeze and Focal in the bass and speed department. Cool stuff!
Thanks and agree with you on everything. I haven't seen Oratory1990's suggestions, will check them out. This is such a fantastic headphone, I can't think of any headphone under $2k that I would recommend above it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• slt
Back