HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,326 of 11,876
Did a brief A/B on both. The Empy sounded noticeably more muffled/veiled compared to Arya.

I did not do any further comparisons on other sonic aspects (e.g. bass, tonality etc) as the moment I realized that the Empy couldn't keep up with the Arya on clarity, it had failed my test. A pity as I really liked the Empy's looks, comfort, and build quality.
The Empyrean is a completely different level compared with Arya.

Theres nothing muffled about them. They have significantly more bass and body to the sound compared with Arya.

There’s more air and sound stage width to the Arya though.
How would you compare the SQ as a whole between them ?

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #2,327 of 11,876
Did a brief A/B on both. The Empy sounded noticeably more muffled/veiled compared to Arya.

I did not do any further comparisons on other sonic aspects (e.g. bass, tonality etc) as the moment I realized that the Empy couldn't keep up with the Arya on clarity, it had failed my test. A pity as I really liked the Empy's looks, comfort, and build quality.
I disagree, the Empyrean easily matches the Arya in clarity it simply doesn't give extra focus on treble like the Arya.

The Empyrean has a fuller sound with more bass., and a very laid back sound signature.
The Arya is better for analytical listening, while the Empyrean is better for sinking into the music.

Value for money the Arya wins but disregarding the price difference the Empyrean is easily the better headphone.

I still own both, and all Statements are for the V1 of the Arya

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2,328 of 11,876
The Empyrean is a completely different level compared with Arya.

Theres nothing muffled about them. They have significantly more bass and body to the sound compared with Arya.

There’s more air and sound stage width to the Arya though.
I disagree, the Empyrean easily matches the Arya in clarity it simply doesn't give extra focus on treble like the Arya.

The Empyrean has a fuller sound with more bass., and a very laid back sound signature.
The Arya is better for analytical listening, while the Empyrean is better for sinking into the music.

Value for money the Arya wins but disregarding the price difference the Empyrean is easily the better headphone.

I still own both, and all Statements are for the V1 of the Arya
Definitely! Individuals will surely have their own audio perception and they aren't all the same.

Interestingly, Darko (in one of his videos) once described Empyrean as a goldilocks headphone using a beverage analogy:

HD800S - A weak cup of filtered coffee
Empyrean - Cuppucino with a strong low-end kick and a double shot of tone density
LCD-4Z - A big cup of hot chocolate with cream

For me, I would put the Arya in between HD800S and Empyrean. And that would be akin to a cup of Espresso with a little bit of sugar added for a slightly "laid-back" and a touch less edgy taste (compared to the HD800S).

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #2,329 of 11,876
Definitely! Individuals will surely have their own audio perception and they aren't all the same.

Interestingly, Darko (in one of his videos) once described Empyrean as a goldilocks headphone using a beverage analogy:

Empyrean - Cuppucino with a strong low-end kick and a double shot of tone density

For me, I would put the Arya in between HD800S and Empyrean. And that would be akin to a cup of Espresso with a little bit of sugar added for a slightly "laid-back" and a touch less edgy taste (compared to the HD800S).
I totally agree to the Coffee analogy

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #2,330 of 11,876
I love analogies, especially when they’re based on coffee or cars 😂

Also, I agree with your assessment of Arya in the context of HD800S and Empyrean.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,331 of 11,876
Just received Arya today. I've been comparing it to my Ananda. I can tell they're in the same family, they resemble. I'm not really blown away, I must admit. Ananda seems more up front, Arya seems smoother. Details in the treble seem to not jump out at me, they're sometimes more subtle, subdued - some triangles and chimes. Vocals and mids however are more fleshed out. I'm hearing potential in certain song passages and instruments though. I bought it open box so I don't know exactly how much it's been burned in or played, so I'm going to continue to listen today and I'll leave it playing brown noise or pink noise overnight to see about any changes over a short time. Stay tuned...I'll keep posting.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #2,332 of 11,876
As a former Ananda owner and current Arya owner, I think it'll grow to meet expectations. Just remember that HFM states 150 hours of burn-in to hit its stride.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #2,333 of 11,876
Agreed. Coming from the Ananda my first impression of the Arya was that it was uncomfortably bright and thin. I'm about 20 hours in (burning it in naturally) and my impressions of the Arya have changed significantly for the better. It also helps to play around with the sound produced in your chain (cables, source settings, etc..). Once you find the right combination of settings the Arya's really shine.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,334 of 11,876
As a former Ananda owner and current Arya owner, I think it'll grow to meet expectations. Just remember that HFM states 150 hours of burn-in to hit its stride.

I'm waiting before I pass judgement on Arya as the previous purchaser may not have been a believer in burn in. I left it playing brown noise overnight and can hear a small change in it's SQ, less of an "inside the head" presentation I believe. I'm trying to practice a little patience.
....Coming from the Ananda my first impression of the Arya was that it was uncomfortably bright and thin....
I feel that same way to a degree. Not uncomfortably so but still bright and somewhat thin. To me the vocals sounded more 'inside the head' with not as much layering as I've read that Arya is supposed to have in spades. After a little overnight brown noise it seems a little better but of course it's only been a day. Wish me well and I'll keep everyone posted.

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2,336 of 11,876
I'm waiting before I pass judgement on Arya as the previous purchaser may not have been a believer in burn in. I left it playing brown noise overnight and can hear a small change in it's SQ, less of an "inside the head" presentation I believe. I'm trying to practice a little patience.

I feel that same way to a degree. Not uncomfortably so but still bright and somewhat thin. To me the vocals sounded more 'inside the head' with not as much layering as I've read that Arya is supposed to have in spades. After a little overnight brown noise it seems a little better but of course it's only been a day. Wish me well and I'll keep everyone posted.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Arya needs lots of power to get the most of it. Sorry if I missed it, but what are you powering your Arya with as well?

A prime example is that I loved the Arya with a THX 789 amp setup pushing out 6 watts, but then I REALLY LOVED the Arya when connected to an iFi iCan Pro pushing 14 watts. The difference was drastic and immediately noticeable. It was at that moment I realized that amp power is really needed for the Arya.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2,337 of 11,876
Well it also depends on the amp/dac you're using with it.
I don't have 'high end' gear but what I do have is okay decent - for the $$$. PC> Tidal Hifi> Topping D30 DAC> tube hybrid preamp> Emotiva A-100. Fairly enough resolution and power to justify trying Arya, I believe.
One thing to keep in mind is that the Arya needs lots of power to get the most of it. Sorry if I missed it, but what are you powering your Arya with as well?

A prime example is that I loved the Arya with a THX 789 amp setup pushing out 6 watts, but then I REALLY LOVED the Arya when connected to an iFi iCan Pro pushing 14 watts. The difference was drastic and immediately noticeable. It was at that moment I realized that amp power is really needed for the Arya.
I really like the iCan Pro but can't quite muster the funds yet. I'm a man of more meager means:L3000:.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,338 of 11,876
I should clarify that the soundstage is not narrow, but not quite as enveloping as I had imagined. That's one reason that I'm performing a mini burn in. Still wider and more laterally layered than my new-ish Ananda. It's also not as bright as I had thought on first listen. I'm actually finding it somewhat warm-ish yet detailed when comparing it to my new-ish Ananda.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #2,339 of 11,876

lol. The coffee description of HD800S is very precise. I think I just touch the surface to feed this headphone since I feel my HD800S reveals just the skeleton of the music without muscles.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #2,340 of 11,876

So the iFi iCan Pro is better with the Arya than those THX amps? What about compare to the A90?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back