HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #2,312 of 11,876
‘Burn-in’
Also known as the way manufacturers sneakily get customers to keep listening to stuff they don’t particularly care for as humans are brilliant at adapting.
‘You don’t like the sound??? Well wait a week or so and we’ll talk there’
:p

Edith: There is a reason why burn-in always results in better SQ. The listener simply accustomes himself/herself to the presentation. If there was any truth to burn-in we’d see just as many negative results...but we never do.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #2,313 of 11,876
‘Burn-in’
Also known as the way manufacturers sneakily get customers to keep listening to stuff they don’t particularly care for as humans are brilliant at adapting.
‘You don’t like the sound??? Well wait a week or so and we’ll talk there’
:p

Edith: There is a reason why burn-in always results in better SQ. The listener simply accustomes himself/herself to the presentation. If there was any truth to burn-in we’d see just as many negative results...but we never do.
I don't know how you burn in your headphones, but I just left mine in another room while it burned in (sound-leakage made it sound like a tiny speaker). Doubt my brain adapted given I wasn't even using it lol. It went from ear rape at half listening volume to I can blast it at near max comfortable volume without issues on the same track. I'd say there definitely was a difference.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #2,314 of 11,876
Little by little one adapts to the sound...and if you furthermore believe that the process will be beneficial..well then the ground is fertile for improvements whether or not they exist in your head or in the headphone. Personally though my money’s on the former:)
I’ve never seen any proof of burn-in - at least never in amounts that would be audible to human beings. Perhaps you can hear the differences happening if you are a bat...but then again the burn-in process may just end up in poorer sound quality...which is my main point: there should be just as many accounts here on Head-Fi about burn-in that resulted in a negative result.
It’s far more plausible that people burn-in their own heads.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #2,316 of 11,876
Do you guys think the Arya is worth it over the 64 Audio Nio IEM? they're about the same price.
Hard to compare IEM vs Open Back Planars. It all comes down to sound being injected into you vs Being engulfed by the Sound

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #2,318 of 11,876
I mean I just want to know is it worth it to spend $1600 on an IEM or a headphones. They both let you listen to music / sound, so yes you can compare the sounds.
In my opinion, very personal one mind you, IEMs will always be a step below a full size open back headphone. Whatever the underlying tech maybe, a Large size driver with a relatively high impedance, will always move more air and uniformly do so, which influences dynamism and heft to the sound. This overall enhances our perception of how good the sound is. IEMs are a restricted bunch in that regard. They are enclosed within a tiny space and there is only so much you can do. I agree there are some pros to IEMs like portability and some folks hate to wear large and heavy headphones.

For the price, the Arya is unbeatable value. My recommendation is the same. If you baby it a bit here and there, it can last you a decade. I'm afraid I can't say the same for an IEM, esp the multi driver ones.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #2,319 of 11,876
Do you guys think the Arya is worth it over the 64 Audio Nio IEM? they're about the same price.
I think the Arya grants way more Sound quality in this case.

The Arya punch way above their price Tag.
Open over hear headphones usually are better than IEMs of the same price.

So I'd get the Arya if you want the best Sound for home listening

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #2,321 of 11,876
Does/did anyone own both the Aryas and the Z1R? I'm curious how they would compare as an open backed alternative.
They should complement each other nicely. I have the HEKse’s and Z1R’s. The Arya’s are not that far behind them in sound quality. The Z1R’s are warmer than any Hifiman headphone. Except for may the HE500’s. So you should be with that combo if that’s the route you want to go.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #2,322 of 11,876
I did a thorough listening comparison of HD800S, Arya and Z1R this past week. I’m specifically looking for a ‘daily, keep on my desk, beater’ for YouTube, movies and calls.

The HD800S is the most sophisticated sound of the three and also the most natural in tone. Incredible sound stage as we all know also. Best suited to acoustic music. I’ve owned this before and would love to own again now that my collection is larger. On its own it felt too thin, however used for specific purposes that suit the headphone, it can’t be beat.

Z1R punches with bass and works well with EDM, has a surprising soundstage for a closed back, feels comfortable and has the best build quality of the three. The sound however is way off and unnatural. There just something really odd going on with the tone of this headphone.

Arya, best all rounder suited to the most music types and tastes. Feels like it has more body and bass than HD800S with a slightly smaller sound stage width. More height in the sound stage though. Build quality by far the worst. Not as sophisticated as the HD800S, but easily the nicest to listen to for a wider range of music and use cases. It’s also as natural sounding as HD800S.

Arya V2 coming in next week. I feel like I could have flipped a coin for HD800S, and I might still get both, but the Arya makes sense at this point. I did also consider HE1000SE, but with Utopia and Empyrean in the house, I don’t think the SE is needed. Susvara on the other hand..

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #2,324 of 11,876
Anyone having experience with the Empyreans ? How do they compare with the Arya ?
Did a brief A/B on both. The Empy sounded noticeably more muffled/veiled compared to Arya.

I did not do any further comparisons on other sonic aspects (e.g. bass, tonality etc) as the moment I realized that the Empy couldn't keep up with the Arya on clarity, it had failed my test. A pity as I really liked the Empy's looks, comfort, and build quality.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,325 of 11,876
Did a brief A/B on both. The Empy sounded noticeably more muffled/veiled compared to Arya.

I did not do any further comparisons on other sonic aspects (e.g. bass, tonality etc) as the moment I realized that the Empy couldn't keep up with the Arya on clarity, it had failed my test. A pity as I really liked the Empy's looks, comfort, and build quality.

The Empyrean is a completely different level compared with Arya.

Theres nothing muffled about them. They have significantly more bass and body to the sound compared with Arya.

There’s more air and sound stage width to the Arya though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back