HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,071 of 11,915
Hey all, sorry if its been discussed before. I am looking for a replacement to my LCD-X's as I use them for music production and they are just WAY too heavy to wear for more than 30 minutes at a time, even with a replacement strap that is supposed to help. How are the bass on these compared to the X's? I like to EQ my bass as I'm quite the basshead. I love my LCD's sound perfectly but can't get over the weight! Or does anyone have any different suggestions?
I'm a bit of a basshead too and I have no issues with the Arya bass. I EQ it up a bit from about 100Hz down.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,073 of 11,915
I have a big head and the Arya was very comfortable.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #2,075 of 11,915
Well thats good to hear. Are they pretty comfortable for someone with a big head do you think? That's another issue I have with the LCD-X's.

They are not the most comfortable headphones out there to me, but not bad, still way more comfortable (due to weight) than any Audeze.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,076 of 11,915
They are not the most comfortable headphones out there to me, but not bad, still way more comfortable (due to weight) than any Audeze.

Yeah I'm not expecting them to be as comfortable as my DT990's but the LCD-X's just weigh so damn much I can feel it pulling my head down. Can't wear them through a whole album without getting a head/neck ache.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,077 of 11,915
I have a big head and the Arya was very comfortable.
My first used pair (Arya v1's) were probably the most comfortable headphone in my collection, kudos to the original owner breaking them in for me :wink:. The foam in the earpads of my replacement Arya v2 are denser and considerably stiffer than my v1's. I wish I took out my v1 earpads before sending them back to HFM for the replacement pair. I would have simply cut out the dust screen on the v1 earpads and used them in the Arya v2's had I known about the stiffness of the new earpads. I cannot wear the v2's for more than 90 minutes these days. The more I wear the v2's, and the more time they are kept in their box, the looser the pads seem to become, albeit extremely slowly.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #2,078 of 11,915
Interesting, so they changed the pads too and did not just add cloth to prevent people peeking through the window shade system to see what's going on in our crazy mind? I was wondering why the Ananda BT earpads seemed different to the Ananda I had last year.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #2,080 of 11,915
Interesting, so they changed the pads too and did not just add cloth to prevent people peeking through the window shade system to see what's going on in our crazy mind? I was wondering why the Ananda BT earpads seemed different to the Ananda I had last year.
Yeah, I liked the small mesh in the Arya v1 compared to the fabric covering. It seemed better for longevity reasons. As for the earpads, yeah I tried the touring Ananda v1's, my HEXv2's, and of course my Arya v1's. For all of the them, the teardrop pads felt very soft. Disappointing if Hifiman indeed switched to stiffer foam. Also, I cannot discount the possibility that headbands, when brand new, exhibit higher clamping force.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #2,081 of 11,915
I always loved comfy HE1000 I tried v1. If the pads is the same and are only more stiffer I think it should be ok or maybe even better.
I remeber in past for example when LCDX was released it had stiffer pads and newer and newer versions started to have softer pads which I deeply disliked becouse it did not hold shape.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #2,082 of 11,915
If the pads is the same and are only more stiffer I think it should be ok or maybe even better.
Way more stiffer to the point that I cannot wear them for more than an hour. Funny thing is that the Arya v1 with its pads were my most comfortable cans, even more comfortable than the HD800S (imo). The new Arya v2's, out of the box, are now pretty much at the bottom of the pile of the cans listed in my signature in terms of comfort, probably below the Grados HF-3. With the Grados, I know that I just need spend some money for some aftermarket ones to improve their comfort. Still, it's hard for me to justify an outlay for HF-3 aftermarket pads considering that I only listened to them an hour or two max since their purchase several months ago.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #2,083 of 11,915
My aryas and topping A90 wont be here till next week, but I went with the A90 vs the Monoprice THX 887 / SMSL THX 888 because I read that it was warmer.
Soundnews A90 Review (search comments for "arya" and "warmer")

ASR: 887 vs A90

I can only confirm this, you are in for a treat.

Just a big heads up, burn in is REAL with both the ARYA's and the A90. Leave them running pink noise and punchy music at volumes a little bit louder than normal listening levels, they both can handle a lot more. I even had light crackles coming from the right ear pad without no music, this all completely went away, the planar diaphragm was settling somehow. Hifiman recommends 150 hours.

Also, The Arya's work so much better using a balanced cable from the a90, get good aftermarket cable.

Looking forward to your experience.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #2,084 of 11,915
Way more stiffer to the point that I cannot wear them for more than an hour. Funny thing is that the Arya v1 with its pads were my most comfortable cans, even more comfortable than the HD800S (imo). The new Arya v2's, out of the box, are now pretty much at the bottom of the pile of the cans listed in my signature in terms of comfort, probably below the Grados HF-3. With the Grados, I know that I just need spend some money for some aftermarket ones to improve their comfort. Still, it's hard for me to justify an outlay for HF-3 aftermarket pads considering that I only listened to them an hour or two max since their purchase several months ago.

I have a big head, so the clamping power was a little inconvenient. I could easily slightly bend the metal frame outward beyond its normal capabilities, it is perfect now. Just be super careful, takes smallest steps in adjustment as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back