HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,246 of 11,881
Do headphone outs of full size speaker amps have the same output as its regular outputs?
It seems really hard to find any specs on the headphone outs in particular.

There seems to be a lot good looking speaker amps in the $3-400 range from pioneer, onkyo, yamaha, denon, marantz, nad.. etc.
They all have more than enough watt, but i cant find any details about their headphone out power.

No, speaker taps deliver exponentially more power. The headphone out has a series of resistors and chokes between it and the amplifier output stage to lower the current and voltage levels.
Please come over to the Vintage amp thread for more info. Depending on what is available in your area we can steer you to the best possible choice.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,247 of 11,881
No, speaker taps deliver exponentially more power. The headphone out has a series of resistors and chokes between it and the amplifier output stage to lower the current and voltage levels.
Please come over to the Vintage amp thread for more info. Depending on what is available in your area we can steer you to the best possible choice.
Is there a particular Vintage Amp thread that you recommend for use with headphones? I tried a search and I didn't come across a general one.

Oct 1, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #1,248 of 11,881
Oct 3, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #1,249 of 11,881
For those of you who have heard the arya and compared it to other headphones:
Is what the arya does with the S sound in vocals normal for headphones that are considered having bright treble?
Do other bright headphones sound the same way or is this a trait of planars/hifiman sound signature?

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #1,250 of 11,881
S sound in vocal is sibilant and I wouldn't say it is normal for bright sounding headphones. Some HPs do it while some not. MrSpeakers Ether Flow have nice sounding treble without this issue. IMO Arya's happens to attack with sibilants due to 10kHz peak, which is completely unnecessary IMO. I fixed it with warm sounding amp and EQ.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,251 of 11,881
I might have gotten paranoid or something.

Ive had the DT150 for 10 years or so now, and ive never even thought the thought about something sounding sibilant.

After I got the arya im hearing this sibilant S everywhere around me in real life and also with my DT150s.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #1,252 of 11,881
I might have gotten paranoid or something.

Ive had the DT150 for 10 years or so now, and ive never even thought the thought about something sounding sibilant.

After I got the arya im hearing this sibilant S everywhere around me in real life and also with my DT150s.

That tells me that you don't find the Arya sibilant. It makes everything else in life less sibilant? That's how I took it.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,253 of 11,881
You might be right in that its just my subjective obsession with it that makes it annoying, and the fact that i havent attuned myself to this sound yet.
Maybe over time I will let go of this annoyance as my brain acclimates.

Im listening to this small section on loop and it sounds about equally bad on both the DT150 and the arya

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #1,254 of 11,881
You might be right in that its just my subjective obsession with it that makes it annoying, and the fact that i havent attuned myself to this sound yet.
Maybe over time I will let go of this annoyance as my brain acclimates.

Im listening to this small section on loop and it sounds about equally bad on both the DT150 and the arya

Wow, that's a lot of S sounds in Josh's clip... I am going to have to add that to my personal headphone/IEM test suite...

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #1,255 of 11,881
I'm very sensitive to sibilance. I found the HE400's to have ear piercing Sibilance, and the Anandas were also really bad. It was bad to the point a bunch of songs I had issues listening to, and a lot of videos with vocals really bothered me. I returned the Anandas because of this for the Aryas, which to me didn't have this issue at all. This is on both the Schiit Uber 2 stack, and the THX 788.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,257 of 11,881
Lol, complaining about sibilance on reveling headphones is comical. So, you'd like some advanced AI in your headphones which should determine what sounds user could perceive as sibilance and remove those from spectrum?

Either change your records or buy lover-end headphones till that happens.

If this is normal for all detailed, revealing headphones, then I'm fine with living with that being how it is.
If this is just particular for hifiman / planar headphones, then I'm not fine with it.

Would you find the same sibilance characteristic on say a Sennheiser HD800 or Focal Utopia?

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,258 of 11,881
If this is normal for all detailed, revealing headphones, then I'm fine with living with that being how it is.
If this is just particular for hifiman / planar headphones, then I'm not fine with it.

Would you find the same sibilance characteristic on say a Sennheiser HD800 or Focal Utopia?

I always thought of sibilance as being part of the recording and not the gear but i could be right.

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #1,259 of 11,881
Got a replacement pair of Arya's because my first pair was defective (bad channel imbalance, rattle at low volumes in right cup not caused by a hair)

And they have updated the materials. The cups are more solid and don't creak, the headband adjustment is tighter, although my left looser than the right so they won't self-adjust as much, and biggest of all is the change to the mesh material on the outside of the cups, and the inside foam is denser that covers the driver. They seem less sharp than my original pair with the original materials, as well as seemingly a TINY bit harder to drive. Here is a side by side pic with my Ananda's with the old material.

https://i.imgur.com/Ljmucjx.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191004_190348.jpg
    IMG_20191004_190348.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back