HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,351 of 11,873
Wow, that’s quite the endorsement of the Arya coming from the both of you, thanks.

I was wondering if I could dive a little deeper here as I have an “audio enthusiast” question that I’m sure the audiophiles here will not care much for as it involves using a peq on the HEX V2. Some of the many posts I’ve read here describe the HEX V2 as having a “mellow and laid back” mid and high end, which mine does as well, however I correct this with a peq at 14.1k and 15k and the sound expands nicely and the mid’s and high end fill out and get nice and detailed because the harmonics and extensions have been restored. Therefore, I’m thinking Hifiman did this on purpose to differentiate the HEX from the HEK as they chopped off the harmonics and extensions of the HEX, but the peq at 14.1k and 15k fixes that – at least to my ears.

Therefore, my question is, is it likely the Hifiman Arya just returns the high end roll off, which restores the harmonics, extensions, detail, etc, and is really an HEX with a peq, or is there more?
No amount of EQ can make up for the true difference between the Arya and the HEX. In other words you cannot just EQ in resolution. There is a difference between resolution and frequency response. Just because something is brighter, does not necessarily mean it is more resolving. What makes the HEX and Arya resolve different are......different drivers.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #1,352 of 11,873
Hi everyone, I was wondering, I own the HEX V2 and the Ananda, and I was wondering if I should consider buying the Arya as well? Is owning the HEX V2 and the Ananda "good enough," or is the Arya different enough that it should be added to the collection? Thanks....

It really depends on your preferences and personal taste. There are some good reviews on youtube which compare especially the Ananda with the Arya. Finding someone which likes the Ananda over the Arya is rare, the opposite is much more the case. It still could be that someone prefers the Ananda because of personal taste reasons, but the
Arya is clearly the better Headphone. Better listen to the Arya at home while having the Ananda and the HEX V2 so you can compensate risky moves. You can still sell or keep them after your decision.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #1,353 of 11,873
It really depends on your preferences and personal taste. There are some good reviews on youtube which compare especially the Ananda with the Arya. Finding someone which likes the Ananda over the Arya is rare, the opposite is much more the case. It still could be that someone prefers the Ananda because of personal taste reasons, but the
Arya is clearly the better Headphone. Better listen to the Arya at home while having the Ananda and the HEX V2 so you can compensate risky moves. You can still sell or keep them after your decision.
Not that rare. Actually, lots of contradictory reviews. Some say Ananda has more bass, others say Arya. Some say Arya requires EQ to avoid harsh peaks, some say Ananda does. It's perplexing. The only consensus I can find is that detail is more forward on the Ananda, while the Arya has a larger stage.

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #1,354 of 11,873
In theory HEXv2/Ananda should sound good out of the I do not know all in one system Chord, RME, iFi etc...
And Arya probably will need proper amp. Better would be experiences from owners.
What is your system?

And another things to consider system synergy and tonal balance which we can all feels little differently, sombody liked it smoother and sombody liked more energy.
So maybe hard to give answer.

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,355 of 11,873
Cool beans man, thanks for all of your posts to my questions. I’m using my THX AAA 788, which I love, and I’m also using XLR out for all of my headphones.

I get all of the confusion many posters have written about the HEX, Ananda, and Arya, as it gets into personal taste as well as “proper headphone placement on the head and ears.” Now, I must admit this “proper placement post” here took me as I really didn’t think it mattered, as comfortable is comfortable, right? Nope, not right, I read a post here that wrote about moving the teardrop style headsets up and down over your ears for different sound, and to my complete surprise, the post is correct, and I re-adjusted and now I’m comfy with even better sound. Therefore, my point is, many reviewers may not have adjusted the headphone to their sound liking as they didn’t know the sound would change, I sure didn’t until I read it here, and my guess is this is why the reviews are all over the place for all of these teardrop style headphones. I will add that I am completely sold on the teardrop style headphones and will only be buying these in the future, which is saying a lot as I’m coming off my HE560 and Sundara.

I also get how the Arya has a different driver than the HEX V2, but I was really hoping a peq HEX that restored the roll off (and restored the detail, harmonics, extensions, etc, etc, etc) was “close enough,” to the Arya, especially since the Arya is literally twice the price. For me, at twice the price of the Ananda, there is HUGE diminishing returns and I’m trying to avoid Buyer’s remorse. Therefore, maybe an Arya sale, or price drop is what I’m looking for? I do know Hifiman is big on their Cash Cows as the HEX dropped from $1799 to $1299, so I’m now hoping the Arya does the same thing as the Ananda is already down to $850 from $1k.

Now, I guess I sit and wait for Hifiman to have a sale, or drop the price, on the Arya like they do for all of their line. Man, I hate waiting. The Ananda has been out for what, almost a year, right? December 2018 was the release date for the Ananda, right? The Arya came out in what, March of this year, right? The Ananda has already dropped in price, so maybe the Arya price drop is right around the corner. Man, I hate waiting.

Thanks again for all of your posts. : )

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,358 of 11,873
Yes, I mean the HE1k ear-cup style headphones: HE1k, HEX, Ananda, Arya. I call them "teardrop" as this is what they look like, but I guess they can also be called "egg shaped." These are my new "best of the best." Sorry for any confusion. : )
Ah, got it =). I thought you talking about headband style, which my biggest concern about the Arya, not ear cups style.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #1,359 of 11,873
In theory HEXv2/Ananda should sound good out of the I do not know all in one system Chord, RME, iFi etc...
And Arya probably will need proper amp. Better would be experiences from owners.
What is your system?

And another things to consider system synergy and tonal balance which we can all feels little differently, sombody liked it smoother and sombody liked more energy.
So maybe hard to give answer.

I own the Woo WA8 DAC/Amp and it drives the Arya with authority and plenty of headroom. It gives the Arya a good engaging and meaty sound on the 3-Tubes setting. On the 2-Tubes setting, it sounds more dry/thight and less euphoric but quite detailed (more SS type of sound). So, the best of both worlds. This little Amp is a real beast by the way...

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #1,361 of 11,873
Hi folks. Considering iBasso dx200 amp8 has Output Voltage: 6.2Vrms and Output Impedance: 0.38ohm, will it be enough to efficiently drive the Arya?
Seems like Arya has 35Ω according to https://hifiman.com/products/detail/297
So the formula should be 6.2*6.2/35 = 1Watts right? Not sure if it is enough

Have the DX220 (with stock Amp1 mk2) and it drives the Arya well, but at volume level around 120/150 (high gain - single ended). It sounds a little bit more expanded and engaging going balanced, so yes, it could be Ok with the balanced Amp8 IMO. But you'll probably have to crank the volume a little bit (probably over 100/150).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,362 of 11,873
Wow, that’s quite the endorsement of the Arya coming from the both of you, thanks.

I was wondering if I could dive a little deeper here as I have an “audio enthusiast” question that I’m sure the audiophiles here will not care much for as it involves using a peq on the HEX V2. Some of the many posts I’ve read here describe the HEX V2 as having a “mellow and laid back” mid and high end, which mine does as well, however I correct this with a peq at 14.1k and 15k and the sound expands nicely and the mid’s and high end fill out and get nice and detailed because the harmonics and extensions have been restored. Therefore, I’m thinking Hifiman did this on purpose to differentiate the HEX from the HEK as they chopped off the harmonics and extensions of the HEX, but the peq at 14.1k and 15k fixes that – at least to my ears.

Therefore, my question is, is it likely the Hifiman Arya just returns the high end roll off, which restores the harmonics, extensions, detail, etc, and is really an HEX with a peq, or is there more?
Edit:

Hi everyone, I never thought there would be a learning curve for using headphones, but these teardrop style headphones are so big that moving them around my ears changes the sound, and honestly, I did not know this would happen until I read a post here about this. Now, with this in mind, I have readjusted my HEX V2, which changed the sound substantially and I no longer use a peq at 14.1k as the sound I was chasing appeared after the readjustment, so the 14.1k peq boost was no longer needed. I still use the 15k peq boost as it still extends the high end a bit and I think it gives the HEX the HEK sound I’ve read here about where the HEK is just slightly extended in the high end compared to the HEX, so maybe that’s what I’m chasing?

All in all, I really enjoy the HEX V2 and find the fact that the teardrop style headphones are so big they can be adjusted over one’s ears for different voicing simply AMAZING. I had initially thought Hifiman chopped off the high end to make the HEX different from the HEK, which is what some of the posts here mention as well as my initial personal experience; however, I do not think this is as drastic as I once thought, or read, as there “may” just be a slight high end roll off of the HEX compared to the HEK that I use the peq at 15k to either restore, or add which was just never there. I should also note that my peq 15k boost may just be my hearing, or personal tastes.

Anyway, I felt my “revelation” on ear adjustment and sound differentiation were both substantial enough to post an edit. Again, thanks to everybody that posted as all of your posts really helped a lot.

: )

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,363 of 11,873
Hi everyone, I was wondering, I own the HEX V2 and the Ananda, and I was wondering if I should consider buying the Arya as well? Is owning the HEX V2 and the Ananda "good enough," or is the Arya different enough that it should be added to the collection? Thanks....

Can you provide some brief impressions on the differences between the Ananda and HEX V2? What's are their strengths and weaknesses and why do you own both? What are you driving them with? What music genre do you use them for? I own the HEX V2 and really enjoy them. Knowing this, I might understand what you are looking for in the Arya. I'm in the same boat having never owned the Ananda but having demo'd it and realizing that I prefer the HEX V2.

Not that rare. Actually, lots of contradictory reviews. Some say Ananda has more bass, others say Arya. Some say Arya requires EQ to avoid harsh peaks, some say Ananda does. It's perplexing. The only consensus I can find is that detail is more forward on the Ananda, while the Arya has a larger stage.

I think the contradictory reviews come from how the Arya are driven. That's the beauty of the HEX V2 in that's it's fairly easy to drive and sounds great for those of us that enjoy a smooth, laid back musical experience.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,364 of 11,873
Can you provide some brief impressions on the differences between the Ananda and HEX V2? What's are their strengths and weaknesses and why do you own both? What are you driving them with? What music genre do you use them for? I own the HEX V2 and really enjoy them. Knowing this, I might understand what you are looking for in the Arya. I'm in the same boat having never owned the Ananda but having demo'd it and realizing that I prefer the HEX V2.

I think the contradictory reviews come from how the Arya are driven. That's the beauty of the HEX V2 in that's it's fairly easy to drive and sounds great for those of us that enjoy a smooth, laid back musical experience.
In my opinion, the differences are substantial between the HEX V2 and the Ananda, which is what I was going for. First, I have a really hard time taking either off my head as they both sound incredible. Second, my HEX V2 is older and is broke-in, while my Ananda is only 48 hours old. Third, I can usually type while listening to a headphone, but these Ananda keep pulling me toward the music and it’s difficult writing this, which is an indication of how great these headphones sound. I’ve been just letting the Ananda’s play with music while I’m listening to them or not as I do believe they do need break-in as the sound out of them initially was very weak bass and the mid’s and highs were both screaming, but luckily they started giving out GREAT sound at about 5 hours of break-in. Head placement, and ear placement, are both HUGE factors in how these headphones sound and initially I had the headband extended all way so I could have my ears up on top where the bass is, but now after 48 hours of owning, I have the headband completely collapsed and on the smallest head setting and the sound is simply amazing. With the sound being as good as it is, I think some unfavorable reviews of the Ananda are because the headphone was not broke-in, or because the headphone was not adjusted properly on the listener’s head or ears.

The first difference between the two is the HEX V2 is a lot more mellow while the Ananda is really hard hitting and has detail flying all over the place, which is simply amazing, and I hear stuff jumping out that I’ve never heard before. Both the HEX V2 and the Ananda have the 360 degree sound where I swear I have speakers in my ceiling, floor, and all four walls. If I had to guess, and put the differences on a 1-10 scale where 1 is soft and 10 is hard, I would put the HEX V2 right in the middle at a 5 as it has the perfect blend of sound, decay, and detail; however, I must add a 15k peq to the HEX V2 or it drives me nuts as it’s too relaxed for me. The Ananda, with 48 hours of owning, is so awesome it’s blowing my mind – seriously , and I would place it between the Sundara and the HE560 as the HE560 is harder, so maybe a 7-8 on my soft / hard scale.

I think the HEX V2 is chasing that balance of soft and detail the HEK (V1 and V2) is known for; but the Ananda is chasing the more detailed sound the Sundara, HE560, and HEKse are all known for.

As great as the HEX V2 is, and how I could not take it off my head (with the 15k peq boost), I can not take the Ananda off my head. I would describe the Ananda as detailed, detailed, detailed, and detailed, with music just flying all over the place and it’s absolutely amazing with excellent sound. I’m an Ananda guy for sure.

I own both the HEX V2 and the Ananda because I wanted to chase both the sound of the HEK (V1 and V2) and the HE560 / Sundara. Right now I’m using my THX AAA 788 and I only use XLR out for the headphones. I’m all over the place on my music selection: Bach’s Air on the G string, Pachelbel’s Canon, David Lanz piano version of Pachelbel’s Canon, Lady GaGa, Taylor Swift (county and pop), etc.

I hope this post makes sense as I kept being drawn back into the music and forgetting what I was typing as I kept moving, singing, toe tapping, dancing in my chair, waving my arms, and banging my head to the beat. Yes, I really enjoy the Ananda.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #1,365 of 11,873
Cool beans man, thanks for all of your posts to my questions. I’m using my THX AAA 788, which I love, and I’m also using XLR out for all of my headphones.

I get all of the confusion many posters have written about the HEX, Ananda, and Arya, as it gets into personal taste as well as “proper headphone placement on the head and ears.” Now, I must admit this “proper placement post” here took me as I really didn’t think it mattered, as comfortable is comfortable, right? Nope, not right, I read a post here that wrote about moving the teardrop style headsets up and down over your ears for different sound, and to my complete surprise, the post is correct, and I re-adjusted and now I’m comfy with even better sound. Therefore, my point is, many reviewers may not have adjusted the headphone to their sound liking as they didn’t know the sound would change, I sure didn’t until I read it here, and my guess is this is why the reviews are all over the place for all of these teardrop style headphones. I will add that I am completely sold on the teardrop style headphones and will only be buying these in the future, which is saying a lot as I’m coming off my HE560 and Sundara.

I also get how the Arya has a different driver than the HEX V2, but I was really hoping a peq HEX that restored the roll off (and restored the detail, harmonics, extensions, etc, etc, etc) was “close enough,” to the Arya, especially since the Arya is literally twice the price. For me, at twice the price of the Ananda, there is HUGE diminishing returns and I’m trying to avoid Buyer’s remorse. Therefore, maybe an Arya sale, or price drop is what I’m looking for? I do know Hifiman is big on their Cash Cows as the HEX dropped from $1799 to $1299, so I’m now hoping the Arya does the same thing as the Ananda is already down to $850 from $1k.

Now, I guess I sit and wait for Hifiman to have a sale, or drop the price, on the Arya like they do for all of their line. Man, I hate waiting. The Ananda has been out for what, almost a year, right? December 2018 was the release date for the Ananda, right? The Arya came out in what, March of this year, right? The Ananda has already dropped in price, so maybe the Arya price drop is right around the corner. Man, I hate waiting.

Thanks again for all of your posts. : )

Did you buy the HEX v2 new or used? If used you shouldn't take much of a beating. I don't believe there are any new ones around these days.

HFM always discounts their cans - usually within 9-12 months of retiring them (some like the 560, 400*, seem to be on permanent sale.

For the record, I don't like the Anada, finding the added "detail" to have to do with a bright treble, and finding them short of the harmonic richness and cohesion the HEX possesses in spades. Twenty years ago I would have said: bad digital vs good analog. HEX isn't perfect - like many planar speakers it is dynamically constricted, treble tails off a bit, details not pinpoint (Impressionism vs Kodachrome). I want to turn the HEX up, and turn the Anada down.

The Arya is the best of the 3, but it is brighter than the recordings it plays.

I've been a HFM guy for the past few years, but, the house sound is getting a little stale (HE6SE and HEKSE) both exceptions. HEX v1 and v2 are probably the outliers in terms of HFM "sound" - but only used or perhaps the Drop xx where you have to go for that.

Waiting on the AMT headphones and a long weekend with the E2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back