HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #1,156 of 11,881
What power amps are you guys using with the ARYA?

I have AYRE CODEX Amp/DAC it is a wonderful DAC but I'm not sure if the amp side of the unit is up to driving the ARYA properly.

Here are the specs:

Output Level Headphone Mode : 7.0 volts balanced, 3.5 volts single-ended.

Do you guys think it is enough to power the ARYA?

It is definitely enough power to drive them loud enough to damage your hearing. :wink: Personally I have used Aryas with Marantz HD-DAC-1 and Schiit Asgard 2. Both in low gain mode and I hardly ever reach 12 o'clock at volume gauge. Sound-wise I prefer them with Schiit. It's laid back sound signature fits my taste. With Marantz sub bass was slightly more present but treble were too aggressive.

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,157 of 11,881
Who powers their Arya with a tube amp?
If so, which amp and please list other amps it bettered, if any.

I'm loving my Arya with my Burson V2+ but I'm wondering what a tube amp would do. I would imagine it needs to be of higher power output.

I can't believe I'm even considering changing, but you know how this stuff goes...

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #1,158 of 11,881
It is definitely enough power to drive them loud enough to damage your hearing. :wink: Personally I have used Aryas with Marantz HD-DAC-1 and Schiit Asgard 2. Both in low gain mode and I hardly ever reach 12 o'clock at volume gauge. Sound-wise I prefer them with Schiit. It's laid back sound signature fits my taste. With Marantz sub bass was slightly more present but treble were too aggressive.

Thanks, with the CODEX in balanced mode I have the volume up to 80/85 out of 100.
I'm going to order a Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum and see if tube sound would make a difference...

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,159 of 11,881
If you want to tweak sound with DAC/AMP, why won't you pick something that could do exactly what you need instead of random try? RME ADI 2 DAC has 5-band parametric EQ that can do wonders to sound signature. It offers possibility of saving various presets as well. Also, it's amp offers more than 1 watt which will easily drive Aryas.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,160 of 11,881
If you want to tweak sound with DAC/AMP, why won't you pick something that could do exactly what you need instead of random try? RME ADI 2 DAC has 5-band parametric EQ that can do wonders to sound signature. It offers possibility of saving various presets as well. Also, it's amp offers more than 1 watt which will easily drive Aryas.

My RME just arrived today, plan to run Arya, 800S and Andromedas with it. Excited to try it, would still like to grab a THX 789 or 788 to try balanced one of these days though.

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #1,161 of 11,881
If so, which amp and please list other amps it bettered, if any.

Until i got the Arya, i had a little problem with tube mode in ifi Pro gear (iCAN & iDSD). I only used a 2018 LCD-X, and tube mode was not that great with the Audeze, a little artificial, quality was clearly lost. With the Arya, i now can enjoy tube mode in ifi gear to the fullest. It dont get that artficial sound, i dont get that feeling something is lost on the Arya with tubes, its just smoother and the Arya can - depending on mood and track - use some smoothing. It is just a little more layed back, more enjoyable. Without tubes, Arya is very clean (wich i like), but with tubes it gets a little more musical (wich i like aswell), it is more fun with tubes on the Arya.

In short, i like the Arya very very much with tubes! May be i like the Arya just a bit more on tubes then on SS. The LCD-X definitely without tubes, SS only for the Audeze. For me another reason, why the Arya complements my LCD-X (and ifi Pro gear) very well. Ifi Pro gear has tubes in iDSD (DAC) and in iCAN (AMP). If i enable tube mode in both, it gets very very tuby. With the Arya i enjoy this very much.

Ifi Pro gear is very clean on SS. I read that Burson V2 already is very tuby (warm/smooth) like. So i guess Arya with Burson V2 is a very good pairing already.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #1,162 of 11,881
It is definitely enough power to drive them loud enough to damage your hearing. :wink: Personally I have used Aryas with Marantz HD-DAC-1 and Schiit Asgard 2.

I wouldn't agree. You can 'drive them loud enough to damage your hearing' with Schiit Fulla e.g as well yet that doesn't mean they are driven properly. I have Marantz HD-DAC-1 and it doesn't do justice to them, soundstage collapses far from desired volume levels and low end doesn't have anything near that grunt and authority which Arya is capable off.

I've tried only Figaro 339, didn't have any grip on them, just flabby farts. Seemed to me any other topology would do better.

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,163 of 11,881
I wouldn't agree. You can 'drive them loud enough to damage your hearing' with Schiit Fulla e.g as well yet that doesn't mean they are driven properly. I have Marantz HD-DAC-1 and it doesn't do justice to them, soundstage collapses far from desired volume levels and low end doesn't have anything near that grunt and authority which Arya is capable off.

What is your's Marantz volume knob position and what gain do you use when problems occur?

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #1,164 of 11,881
I gave it another shot. Yup, it sounds flatter with loose low end timbre. Switching back to the big amp, I immediately noticed sharper attack, more natural decay, greater dynamics and tighter low end. It's worth mentioning that the big amp itself has similar signature to Marantz, buttery smooth yet agile sounds, kinda like a good tube amp, so its quite obvious its up to power rather than synergy or whatever.

What is your's Marantz volume knob position and what gain do you use when problems occur?

It depends on record of course. I listen mostly to loudness free, HDR stuff. On high gain, knob position its around 12 o'clock or higer. If i play some modern pop tracks, than is around 9.

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,165 of 11,881
Until i got the Arya, i had a little problem with tube mode in ifi Pro gear (iCAN & iDSD). I only used a 2018 LCD-X, and tube mode was not that great with the Audeze, a little artificial, quality was clearly lost. With the Arya, i now can enjoy tube mode in ifi gear to the fullest. It dont get that artficial sound, i dont get that feeling something is lost on the Arya with tubes, its just smoother and the Arya can - depending on mood and track - use some smoothing. It is just a little more layed back, more enjoyable. Without tubes, Arya is very clean (wich i like), but with tubes it gets a little more musical (wich i like aswell), it is more fun with tubes on the Arya.

In short, i like the Arya very very much with tubes! May be i like the Arya just a bit more on tubes then on SS. The LCD-X definitely without tubes, SS only for the Audeze. For me another reason, why the Arya complements my LCD-X (and ifi Pro gear) very well. Ifi Pro gear has tubes in iDSD (DAC) and in iCAN (AMP). If i enable tube mode in both, it gets very very tuby. With the Arya i enjoy this very much.

Ifi Pro gear is very clean on SS. I read that Burson V2 already is very tuby (warm/smooth) like. So i guess Arya with Burson V2 is a very good pairing already.

Thanks, you've convinced me to give Cavalli Liquid Platinum a try with my Arya.

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,166 of 11,881

I've tried only Figaro 339, didn't have any grip on them, just flabby farts. Seemed to me any other topology would do better.

I'm going to try the Cavalli Liquid Platinum with the Ayra hopefully I will get more than just "flabby farts" :darthsmile:

Ayre Codex + Cavalli Liquid Platinum + Arya

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #1,167 of 11,881
Thanks, you've convinced me to give Cavalli Liquid Platinum a try with my Arya.

Please let us (me) know what you think about the Arya with tubes. Any chance you can compare with SS powered AMP?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #1,168 of 11,881
Please let us (me) know what you think about the Arya with tubes. Any chance you can compare with SS powered AMP?

Here's the thing, Arya is high impedance kind of sound, if you add tubes, you may get them a bit sweeter, but they work nicely with both... Like for real, you could enjoy Arya regardless :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back