HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #10,366 of 11,886
Looks like I'm sticking to my Arya SE, don't see much appeal in Organic version after reading some reviews. To my ears SE is nearly perfect in every way, hot treble can be tamed via EQ anyway. I've just put them on and enjoyed some ambient music... it's just incredible.

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #10,367 of 11,886
Looks like I'm sticking to my Arya SE, don't see much appeal in Organic version after reading some reviews. To my ears SE is nearly perfect in every way, hot treble can be tamed via EQ anyway. I've just put them on and enjoyed some ambient music... it's just incredible.
That hot treble resolved for me with burn in, I have 250 hours on mine AryaSE now....love it.

Jun 25, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #10,370 of 11,886
That hot treble resolved for me with burn in, I have 250 hours on mine AryaSE now....love it.

I have over 1000 hrs, easily. But still, some tracks can be too hot, especially rock/metal and pop, vocals are bordering on sibilant sometimes, even after EQ. Thankfully I have LCD-2 for that type of music! But Arya SE so good with everything else, classical, ambient, electronic, jazz, you name it...

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #10,371 of 11,886
I have over 1000 hrs, easily. But still, some tracks can be too hot, especially rock/metal and pop, vocals are bordering on sibilant sometimes, even after EQ. Thankfully I have LCD-2 for that type of music! But Arya SE so good with everything else, classical, ambient, electronic, jazz, you name it...

I really found a good equilibrium with mine when I got a tube hybrid amp and rolled a few tubes til I got one that meshed really smoothly with the Arya Stealth. Now it's good with everything. I highly recommend that approach to anyone with this headphone, if it's an option to them.

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #10,372 of 11,886
Today we review the Arya Organic with a detailed comparison to Arya SE.

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-arya-organic-review/

1687684742420.png
Thanks for the review, don't have any stores anywhere near me so I rely on these to choose a headphone, so far the only reviews that I didn't agree with were for the Edition XS which I thought was super dry, technical and not musical at all... But I got the Ananda Stealth and it has been pure Bliss to listen to! Looking to step up but the smaller stage with higher treble doesn't sound like what I am looking for.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #10,373 of 11,886
Had the Arya Stealth for a while and did extensive testing…. Did 150 hours+ burn-in. Tested on different DACs and amps, and on Holo audio Spring KTE and Feliks Euforia EVO the most.

My go-to headphones right now are ZMF VC, Grado GS-2000e with F-cushions and Penon Volt/Totem.

Arya Stealth are probably the most “unmusical” headphones I have ever listened to! I felt, I was listening to a very detailed rendition of zero’s and ones, with very little connection between the individual parts. Like listening to math!? Had no emotional response or enjoyment with the music.
Is this a "Hifiman thing"?

The dip from 1000k to 2500k also seems to make the whole sound off, but can partly be alleviated with EQ.

Not for my ears/brain at all!

20221225_133339.jpg

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #10,374 of 11,886
Had the Arya Stealth for a while and did extensive testing…. Did 150 hours+ burn-in. Tested on different DACs and amps, and on Holo audio Spring KTE and Feliks Euforia EVO the most.

My go-to headphones right now are ZMF VC, Grado GS-2000e with F-cushions and Penon Volt/Totem.

Arya Stealth are probably the most “unmusical” headphones I have ever listened to! I felt, I was listening to a very detailed rendition of zero’s and ones, with very little connection between the individual parts. Like listening to math!? Had no emotional response or enjoyment with the music.
Is this a "Hifiman thing"?

The dip from 1000k to 2500k also seems to make the whole sound off, but can partly be alleviated with EQ.

Not for my ears/brain at all!
Compared to the VC and especially Grado's the Arya will sound completely different. Not only because of the different driver types (dynamic vs planar) but also in their respective tunings. The VC is a highly musical headphone but for technicalities it's not really on par with anything in its price class. The Grado's even less so but both ZMF and Grado aren't known for their technical performance. I've personally never heard a Grado that I've liked but have a lot of experience with the VC as I've owned two separate units for over a year and it's a monster for timbre, not for resolution.

The Arya from a timbre respective is not as natural sounding and can come across quite dry and analytical especially compared to the two headphones mentioned. The Arya from a resolution and detail perspective far outweighs the Verite Closed. It's truly not a fair fight so maybe you're just not looking for a detailed headphone and prefer a bit more musicality?

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #10,375 of 11,886
Compared to the VC and especially Grado's the Arya will sound completely different. Not only because of the different driver types (dynamic vs planar) but also in their respective tunings. The VC is a highly musical headphone but for technicalities it's not really on par with anything in its price class. The Grado's even less so but both ZMF and Grado aren't known for their technical performance. I've personally never heard a Grado that I've liked but have a lot of experience with the VC as I've owned two separate units for over a year and it's a monster for timbre, not for resolution.

The Arya from a timbre respective is not as natural sounding and can come across quite dry and analytical especially compared to the two headphones mentioned. The Arya from a resolution and detail perspective far outweighs the Verite Closed. It's truly not a fair fight so maybe you're just not looking for a detailed headphone and prefer a bit more musicality?
Yes, you might be right. But I think, details are really of no use in music, if they do not synergize to something more. Have tried both Audeze LCD 5 and Focal Stellia and they both have details and being somewhat musical at the same time, albeit being in a different price range.
I wonder if people ("brains") growing up solely with binary music reproduction, have an affinity towards this representation of sound :wink:

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #10,376 of 11,886

When you get used to HT FR that dip is elevated and once you're used to that FR and remove it and go back to stock that dip makes it sound like you're listening in a plastic cup. Try oratory1990 setting and adjust the bass for that warmth to taste. However, even if all your HP are tuned to the exact FR, they will still sound different. So arya might not be for you.

Did you ever try to listen to Arya exclusively for a few weeks and then go to something else for comparison? I find that if you stick to something for several weeks and then put on another headphones its traits stand out far more than swapping back and forth.

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #10,377 of 11,886
Yes, you might be right. But I think, details are really of no use in music, if they do not synergize to something more. Have tried both Audeze LCD 5 and Focal Stellia and they both have details and being somewhat musical at the same time, albeit being in a different price range.
I wonder if people ("brains") growing up solely with binary music reproduction, have an affinity towards this representation of sound :wink:
I can't speak on generalities of what people are looking for in music reproduction as everybody is different. I liked the Verite Closed but ultimately want a bit more resolution and finer levels of detail so I sold them. I can say that I know more people especially those who have spent more time in the hobby are looking a technical listen rather than something that just excels in one or two categories.

When you move up the price bracket details are all that you are paying for with some individuals paying huge amounts of money for just that last 5% more detail. I don't think this has anything to do with people growing up in a digital age if that's what you are commenting on. The Diana V2 or HE1000V2 are very warm, musical and have natural timbre but are also detail monsters especially with the right source pairings.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #10,378 of 11,886
The HFM sound is every-so-slightly v-shaped. If you never heard a v-shaped FR headphone you may not be able to adjust to the HFM signature. That said, compared to really v-shaped headphones, the Arya isn't that pronounced. There's more presence in the midrange than say most Beyerynamics for example.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #10,379 of 11,886
I've been listening a lot on my Feliks Echo MKII the past few days. I received it back from Upscale Audio who did a full QC and cleaning on it so it's now perfect sounding. My Eikon and HD600 have been getting a lot of play time because of that. Looking back at @maxsol comments I can see where he's coming from but now i'm listening to the Arya on the Magni Piety with iFi Gryphon as the DAC and it's mind blowingly fast. WAY faster than most dynamic drivers can re-produce. Even the Radiance which i think out resolves the VC can't keep up with the Arya.

This might have a lot to do with music and genre preferences as well. I personally would never use my dynamic drivers for electronic music.

@maxsol Try something like 'Max Cooper - Resynthesis 3D (Binaural Version)' on the Arya. If you switch to the VC you'll realise the VC is missing half the subties. It's just not fast enough to keep up with the busy nature of the track.

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #10,380 of 11,886
I've been listening a lot on my Feliks Echo MKII the past few days. I received it back from Upscale Audio who did a full QC and cleaning on it so it's now perfect sounding. My Eikon and HD600 have been getting a lot of play time because of that. Looking back at @maxsol comments I can see where he's coming from but now i'm listening to the Arya on the Magni Piety with iFi Gryphon as the DAC and it's mind blowingly fast. WAY faster than most dynamic drivers can re-produce. Even the Radiance which i think out resolves the VC can't keep up with the Arya.

This might have a lot to do with music and genre preferences as well. I personally would never use my dynamic drivers for electronic music.

@maxsol Try something like 'Max Cooper - Resynthesis 3D (Binaural Version)' on the Arya. If you switch to the VC you'll realise the VC is missing half the subties. It's just not fast enough to keep up with the busy nature of the track.
Great feedback -thanks. You re-ignited my interest in planar's as well as headphones with greater technicalities. Sold the Arya already. Will definitely look into Abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back