HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #2,671 of 11,880
i had two aryas. One bought brand new from retail. and the other bought from a member from this forum. Both cans had the exact same issue. The left channel had lower volume than the right. As a result, the voice, which is typically recorded in the center of the sound stage was shifted a little to the right. The right channel basically sounded louder. It had more bass, treble, everything. This was a deal breaker for me. for a $1.5k headphone, this should never be acceptable. So I sold both.

TBH, this is very common with hifiman cans. I had the same issues with my THREE pairs of Sundaras. Except, with those, the left channel was louder instead of the right LOL. Honestly, ive had with Hifiman headphones. One of, if not the worst QC of any headphone company that ive dealt with. I was actually considering buying a HE1000se but the qc issues have put me off big time.

Do yourself a favor, if you face channel imbalnce issues with your Arya or any other Hifiman Headphones, contact customer service and get a refund. Chances are, if they send you a replacement, it might also have the same issue. hifiman doesnt seem to understand the importance of QC. Also, if you are considering buying a hifiman can from the buy/sale section here in Headfi, ask the seller about QC issues. I made the mistake and payed dearly for it.
I've had this issue also, channel imbalances. Even dynamic cans have this too. Planar headphones are harder to manufacture and a lot can go wrong in the manufacture/assembly process vs dynamic driver cans. Nature of the beast. Even still, stringent QC can catch deviations between individual driver units. I only deal w. Hifiman if bought from dealers that have a replace or refund policy or directly w. the company, because it can be a crapshoot. Hifiman customer service has always come through with replacement units, they seem to understand their own shortcomings. Also some minor driver to driver deviations in a few sets I've bought have tended to disappear with burn in/play in (with pink noise), over the course of a week or so as the drivers settle to their operating parameters. Not apologizing for the company, this has just been my experience. I have just measured my set with a multimeter and both drivers match within .3 ohms, ~34.8 ohms in one driver to ~35.1 ohms in the other driver, with < .5 ohms difference mostly means the drivers match and the ear can't discern the difference. Sorry for the long post.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #2,673 of 11,880
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #2,675 of 11,880
i had two aryas. One bought brand new from retail. and the other bought from a member from this forum. Both cans had the exact same issue. The left channel had lower volume than the right. As a result, the voice, which is typically recorded in the center of the sound stage was shifted a little to the right. The right channel basically sounded louder. It had more bass, treble, everything. This was a deal breaker for me. for a $1.5k headphone, this should never be acceptable. So I sold both.

TBH, this is very common with hifiman cans. I had the same issues with my THREE pairs of Sundaras. Except, with those, the left channel was louder instead of the right LOL. Honestly, ive had with Hifiman headphones. One of, if not the worst QC of any headphone company that ive dealt with. I was actually considering buying a HE1000se but the qc issues have put me off big time.

Do yourself a favor, if you face channel imbalnce issues with your Arya or any other Hifiman Headphones, contact customer service and get a refund. Chances are, if they send you a replacement, it might also have the same issue. hifiman doesnt seem to understand the importance of QC. Also, if you are considering buying a hifiman can from the buy/sale section here in Headfi, ask the seller about QC issues. I made the mistake and payed dearly for it.
PS, nice combo of cans and gear, from your bio...Peace.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #2,676 of 11,880
PS, nice combo of cans and gear, from your bio...Peace.
Thank you good sir ! I like to keep a variety of different cans with their own unique sound signature.

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,677 of 11,880
Thank you good sir ! I like to keep a variety of different cans with their own unique sound signature.
I keep extra cans just in case one set or another goes down. Next man up, so I won't be without private listening til I get the broken set repaired or replaced. Arya is the most expensive set that I own though as I can't justify multiple sets of near or above $1k headphones, being on a fixed income and all, and even though I choose this hobby. Truly a luxury, go you!!!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,679 of 11,880
Hows their soundstage and imaging in general and compared to focal clears, 1990 pro and argon mk3? Also I listen to rock,metal,jazz,soundtracks,indies,classical and pop and blues . Do clear performs well for all these genres?

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #2,680 of 11,880
Hows their soundstage and imaging in general and compared to focal clears, 1990 pro and argon mk3? Also I listen to rock,metal,jazz,soundtracks,indies,classical and pop and blues . Do clear performs well for all these genres?
I picked Arya over Clear after auditions last year. Clear was more vivid with harder mid bass slam while Arya is more laid back with fantastic sub bass emphasis. Arya sometimes happen to be treble intensive, tough.

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #2,682 of 11,880
I think is completely subjective. I listen to 80s and 90s pop and rock (Michael Jackson, Genesis, Tina Turner, The Police, Queen, INXS, etc) and newer Jazz and Blues (Candy Dulfer, Snowy White & The White Flames) plus some other (Lana Del Rey, London Grammar, Rag'n'Bone Man) and I simply like Arya in all of them. Recently I had a plenty of headphones for testing at home borrowed form local audio store (Final Audio D8000, D8000Pro, Focal Clear, Utopia, Meze Emprean, Audeze LCD2C, ATH ADX 5000) and I decided to stay with HFM Arya. They are brilliant for my sound taste. Effortless sub bass which does not bloat into mids, clear vocals separated from instruments and sparkling but slightly too intense and bright treble for me. I EQ down 4kHz area a bit and I find them just perfect. They might not be appealing for bass-lovers, though. Sub bass is very nice and pleasant but there is no strong slam or impact in upper bass region. Focal Clear offers more of that but trade off in sub bass quantity and quality is very big.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #2,683 of 11,880
I have a question.
I bought a Arya on Saturday from a Shop in Italy.
Headphone arrived today, right driver is dead :frowning2:

This is the first time in my life,something like this happend to me, so what is to do now?
Contact the Seller, or directly contact Hifiman?

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,684 of 11,880
I have a question.
I bought a Arya on Saturday from a Shop in Italy.
Headphone arrived today, right driver is dead :frowning2:

This is the first time in my life,something like this happend to me, so what is to do now?
Contact the Seller, or directly contact Hifiman?
Contact the seller, especially when it arrived dead.
Should be the faster way to resolving the issue

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2,685 of 11,880
Ok, lets see how he will handle this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back