HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2,536 of 11,868
I’ve been looking at the Schiit stuff - would you genuinely say they’re better than the iFi Micro BL?

Never listened to that one. I say just give it a try. If you don't like it then return it or sell used. It is an inexpensive risk.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,538 of 11,868
Some people swear by the Multibit, some cannot hear a difference at all under controlled conditions. Modi 3 is already a big improvement over the Modi 2 Uber, I would test that out first. I'm not a believer of DACs making a big difference though. Topping DACs are generally quality as well; I would personally pick between them based on price and function/connections (or looks).

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2,539 of 11,868
Very true - would you recommend the topping over the Schiit Dacs? I’ve heard good things about the modi multibit - but I know it’s a big price difference between that and the regular modi

Like BusDriver above I'm not really a big proponent of going nuts on the other equipment. Either the DAC sounds good or it doesn't. The power of the amp in how well it can control the driver can make a difference. With a traditional headphone IMO power is power. Planar can be a little funny with some amps, hence your lifeless sound you feel. I had an Audio-GD FUN that had a good amount of power. Easily drove my HD600 but the Arya sounded dead compared to an older Magni 2. That was my catalyst to change. I went with the Topping mostly because I wanted to try something different. Friend has the Mod/Magni 2 combo. I have the Magni Heresey. Don't bother over paying for the mutli-bit. After a while, things start to become like snake oil and why I have mostly become a lurker at best these days on headfi.

Get a solid headphone you enjoy for sound signature. Don't break the wallet on cables, dacs, and amps. Laws of diminishing returns adds up REAL FAST on those other items. Splurge a little but don't go nuts.

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,540 of 11,868
Like BusDriver above I'm not really a big proponent of going nuts on the other equipment. Either the DAC sounds good or it doesn't. The power of the amp in how well it can control the driver can make a difference. With a traditional headphone IMO power is power. Planar can be a little funny with some amps, hence your lifeless sound you feel. I had an Audio-GD FUN that had a good amount of power. Easily drove my HD600 but the Arya sounded dead compared to an older Magni 2. That was my catalyst to change. I went with the Topping mostly because I wanted to try something different. Friend has the Mod/Magni 2 combo. I have the Magni Heresey. Don't bother over paying for the mutli-bit. After a while, things start to become like snake oil and why I have mostly become a lurker at best these days on headfi.

Get a solid headphone you enjoy for sound signature. Don't break the wallet on cables, dacs, and amps. Laws of diminishing returns adds up REAL FAST on those other items. Splurge a little but don't go nuts.
I’ll give the mango/modi stack a try and see how I get on

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,541 of 11,868
Hey everyone! I have a question for you all that’s probably been answered somewhere but I can’t find it. I recently just bought myself a pair of Arya’s. I’m coming from the Sennheiser HD660s. So far I’m not actually that impressed. Yes it sounds better than the 660s but not by all that much to my ears. For reference, I use either the Chord Mojo or the iFi micro idsd black label as my amp/dac.

From doing some other research, I know the Arya’s scale very well with higher end amps/dacs. My question is, with a budget of around £1k - what amp/Dacs can I upgrade to to unlock their full potential? As it stands right now, I am having a hard time justifying keeping £1400 headphones. This is also my first time spending this much on headphones - up until this point, the 660s’ were the most expensive headphones I’ve owned.

Thanks in advance!

If you have the chance to trail the Topping A90, I can only recommend you to do it. Checkout 'owners guide' based on my subjective experience: Arya's are better than many Arya owners realize...

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2,542 of 11,868
Some people swear by the Multibit, some cannot hear a difference at all under controlled conditions. Modi 3 is already a big improvement over the Modi 2 Uber, I would test that out first. I'm not a believer of DACs making a big difference though. Topping DACs are generally quality as well; I would personally pick between them based on price and function/connections (or looks).

Cant agree on DAC's. I listened to many back to the early 90's. Most of them were hard and unforgiving. Much like those made over the past years made by SABRE (yuck). Except for some $20k ARC's and Krell's I wasn't interested and they were no match for my vinyl rig. Then in 2014 I heard the Gumby 1, and there went 12k pieces of vinyl, Koetsu, Clearaudio straigt arm, etc. Schitts multi-bits really are excellent.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #2,543 of 11,868
I’ve been looking at the Schiit stuff - would you genuinely say they’re better than the iFi Micro BL?

Consider Modius/Magnius with Arya, looks great and sounds even better :xf_cool:

20201003_184903_2.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #2,544 of 11,868
Hey everyone! I have a question for you all that’s probably been answered somewhere but I can’t find it. I recently just bought myself a pair of Arya’s. I’m coming from the Sennheiser HD660s. So far I’m not actually that impressed. Yes it sounds better than the 660s but not by all that much to my ears. For reference, I use either the Chord Mojo or the iFi micro idsd black label as my amp/dac.

From doing some other research, I know the Arya’s scale very well with higher end amps/dacs. My question is, with a budget of around £1k - what amp/Dacs can I upgrade to to unlock their full potential? As it stands right now, I am having a hard time justifying keeping £1400 headphones. This is also my first time spending this much on headphones - up until this point, the 660s’ were the most expensive headphones I’ve owned.

Thanks in advance!
Heard you say that you just got them, amirite? Might I suggest more time to burn in? My sets have changed in sound quality from just "good" from fresh out of the box (but a bit bright), to "better" after about a week or two of burn in and listening (a little less bright and more bass), to "wow, now I get it" (microdetails and detailed bass, wide SS, layering, etc). I always play pink noise (Burn In generator app) for a few days to weeks while monitoring with music to bring them along faster toward their potential. I'm driving mine with smsl su-9 DAC and Schiit Magnius amp (Emotiva a-100 for backup duties or change up), definitely not uber high-end but I still get very good results for the $$$.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #2,545 of 11,868

Thanks in advance!
They definitely need something that can supply enough current to power the bottom end and have the detail and soundstage to make them shine.
I'd look at Questyle CMA400i, Cayin IHA-6 + Magnius, Topping D90 + A90.

I've often found that the same or more should be spent in the electronics as the transducer. It is, after all, a passive device, all the work is being done upstream.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,547 of 11,868
I ended up buying the Magni 3+ and Modi stack and right from the first listen fell in love with the Arya - it’s exciting to know there is still more to get from them with higher end amps/Dacs but compared to the BL, it is MUCH nicer in my opinion.

So you got it? See! Told ya! I had an Audio-GD FUN that put out similar power to Magni BUT Arya sounded lifeless. The Schitt pairs well and is cheap. 😎👍

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #2,550 of 11,868
I got my Schiit Vali out and I haven't used that in well over a year so I wanted to hear how it sounds with the Arya and it sounds pretty darn good. Now I'm looking for a good tube hybrid/transistor amp to get that's under $500. The xDuoo TA-20 is high on my list but I also thought about the Lyr though I don't think it will have the sound I'm looking for after reading the reviews. If anyone knows of some other good ones let me know because I'm close to pulling the trigger on the xDuoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back