HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 13, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,727 of 11,880
I had a chance to try the Arya the other day. (And the Susvara at the same time.) I used to own the HEXV2 which I liked quite a lot, but eventually sold it because I preferred Audeze bass. HiFiMan's major selling point is the unmatched spaciousness. HiFiMan sounds like an open air concert, sound is everywhere. Bass is everywhere. First it impressed me too, but then I started to miss that bass punch and focus so I sold my HEXV2 and stuck with the awesome bass of my Audeze headphones even though the HEXV2 sounded more spacious and more natural in the upper frequencies. (I do like bassy music.)
The Arya to me sounds like a more resolving HEXV2. It is much warmer and much softer than I expected. A very comfortable and pleasantly spacious sound. I can see why so many people love this sound. It is also very good value for money if you look at those crazy priced flagships. The Arya is a very good mid-fi headphone if you like a relaxed and comfortable, slightly warm sound. Doesn't quite deliver the resolution of TOTL alternatives, but if you like HiFiMan sound and you don't have thousands to spend Arya is a very good option.
I personally still prefer a bit more punch and excitement with my electronic music (Audeze), even though it comes with a smaller soundstage. I am happy to sacrifice spaciousness for a more focused and more impactful sound/bass. But that is just my personal preference.

A few words about the Susvara. Yes, they are incredible headphones. Absolutely top league. Tuning is a bit different to any other HiFiMan headphones. Even to the HE1000V2. HE1000V2 can be a bit thin and treble heavy, the Susvara is nothing like that. Susvara sound combines the best of all HiFiMan line up. The detail and technical finesse of the HE1000V2, HE1000SE combined with the pleasant warmth of the Arya and HEXV2. A true masterpiece. But for 5-6K?
The Susvara is definitely not 6K good compared to the Arya or HE1000SE. That price is ludicrous.
Yes, the Susvara does play in the TOTL league, but IMO it is not the best value in the TOTL league. The Empyrean for less than 3K(!) offers a vastly superior design and build quality. If I didn't know anything about audio, I would guess the Empyrean is 6K and the Susvara is 3K based on build. The Susvara definitely didn't feel like 6K in my hands.
The LCD4 still has better bass than both. What the Susvara does best regardless of price is a very spacious, clean, detailed but still somewhat sweet and slightly warmish sound to a very, very high standard. Is the Susvara worth its price? No. But which TOTL headphone is? When you leave the 2K mark it is not about sensible decisions anymore. Taste comes first, money is secondary.

May 13, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,728 of 11,880
I had a chance to try the Arya the other day. (And the Susvara at the same time.) I used to own the HEXV2 which I liked quite a lot, but eventually sold it because I preferred Audeze bass. HiFiMan's major selling point is the unmatched spaciousness. HiFiMan sounds like an open air concert, sound is everywhere. Bass is everywhere. First it impressed me too, but then I started to miss that bass punch and focus so I sold my HEXV2 and stuck with the awesome bass of my Audeze headphones even though the HEXV2 sounded more spacious and more natural in the upper frequencies. (I do like bassy music.)
The Arya to me sounds like a more resolving HEXV2. It is much warmer and much softer than I expected. A very comfortable and pleasantly spacious sound. I can see why so many people love this sound. It is also very good value for money if you look at those crazy priced flagships. The Arya is a very good mid-fi headphone if you like a relaxed and comfortable, slightly warm sound. Doesn't quite deliver the resolution of TOTL alternatives, but if you like HiFiMan sound and you don't have thousands to spend Arya is a very good option.
I personally still prefer a bit more punch and excitement with my electronic music (Audeze), even though it comes with a smaller soundstage. I am happy to sacrifice spaciousness for a more focused and more impactful sound/bass. But that is just my personal preference.

A few words about the Susvara. Yes, they are incredible headphones. Absolutely top league. Tuning is a bit different to any other HiFiMan headphones. Even to the HE1000V2. HE1000V2 can be a bit thin and treble heavy, the Susvara is nothing like that. Susvara sound combines the best of all HiFiMan line up. The detail and technical finesse of the HE1000V2, HE1000SE combined with the pleasant warmth of the Arya and HEXV2. A true masterpiece. But for 5-6K?
The Susvara is definitely not 6K good compared to the Arya or HE1000SE. That price is ludicrous.
Yes, the Susvara does play in the TOTL league, but IMO it is not the best value in the TOTL league. The Empyrean for less than 3K(!) offers a vastly superior design and build quality. If I didn't know anything about audio, I would guess the Empyrean is 6K and the Susvara is 3K based on build. The Susvara definitely didn't feel like 6K in my hands.
The LCD4 still has better bass than both. What the Susvara does best regardless of price is a very spacious, clean, detailed but still somewhat sweet and slightly warmish sound to a very, very high standard. Is the Susvara worth its price? No. But which TOTL headphone is? When you leave the 2K mark it is not about sensible decisions anymore. Taste comes first, money is secondary.
Hi,
Thank you for your detailed observations, but how do you find the treble on the Arya ? Since you own the Empyrean, do you think there is a gulf in SQ between the Arya vs Empy ?

May 13, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,729 of 11,880
A few words about the Susvara.
From what I read, the Susvara seems to borrow some from the HEK and some from the HE-6, maybe an amalgam of the two's respective sonic characteristics? The Susvara is definitely on my audition list.

When properly driven, my HE-6 has more punch than my Audeze's. Also, when driven by a speaker amp, the bass of the HE-500 is just an impressive as the bass from my Audeze's, at least to my ears.

May 13, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #1,730 of 11,880
Hi,
Thank you for your detailed observations, but how do you find the treble on the Arya ? Since you own the Empyrean, do you think there is a gulf in SQ between the Arya vs Empy ?
(I sold my Empyrean recently.) The only thing common between the Arya and the Empyrean is the ear-friendly treble. Both are quite detailed, but non-fatiguing. Empy treble is more detailed but the same non-fatiguing 'style'. Empy is much cleaner with better separation, resolution and insight than Arya. Empy is clearly a better headphone in every regard. Arya comes close with its spaciousness but that's about it.
From what I read, the Susvara seems to borrow some from the HEK and some from the HE-6, maybe an amalgam of the two's respective sonic characteristics? The Susvara is definitely on my audition list.

When properly driven, my HE-6 has more punch than my Audeze's. Also, when driven by a speaker amp, the bass of the HE-500 is just an impressive as the bass from my Audeze's, at least to my ears.
I tried the HE6SE and was quite disappointed to be honest (Qutest+Taurus MKII). Great dynamics, but somehow congested. For the asking price the HE6SE on today's market feels like an outdated option. The only thing the Susvara kept from the HE6 heritage is dynamism IMO. To my experience neither the HE-500 nor the HE6SE was able to deliver the bass punch and authority of the LCD2C or LCD-X.

May 13, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,731 of 11,880

Here is the thing......at least in the US. The Susvara can be had all day for under $4k from authorized dealers. As a matter of fact I don't know of anyone who paid full pop for one and some who paid as little as $3,700 brand new. Not nearly as cheap as an Arya, but true TOTL headphones are never ”bargains”. Look at the Abyss TC.

May 13, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,732 of 11,880
Here is the thing......at least in the US. The Susvara can be had all day for under $4k from authorized dealers. As a matter of fact I don't know of anyone who paid full pop for one and some who paid as little as $3,700 brand new. Not nearly as cheap as an Arya, but true TOTL headphones are never ”bargains”. Look at the Abyss TC.
What I said. Over 2K there is no reasonable purchase. Still we do it every now and then.

May 13, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #1,733 of 11,880
What I said. Over 2K there is no reasonable purchase. Still we do it every now and then.
Remember you used to own the TT2, not a reasonable purchase over some other DAC’s and amps either, but as you said we do it every now and then.

May 13, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,735 of 11,880
May 13, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,736 of 11,880
For someone who says they miss the bass impact on Arya...LOL.

I own a pair of Fostex TH900 which has impressive levels of bass (they're what they're known for) and to be honest with a little EQ tweaking of the Arya they slam just as hard if not harder than my Fostex with an EQ.

I'll never own a headphone without doing some correction and the Arya I truly found better than anything from a lot more expensive headphones.

May 13, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,738 of 11,880
My friend just bought an espresso machine for 2K... I guess the definition of reasonable is quite relative, and subjective.. :wink:

True statement. My friend owns a $400 toaster and well my car collection is far from reasonable (R8 and RS7 lol)

May 14, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,739 of 11,880
My friend just bought an espresso machine for 2K... I guess the definition of reasonable is quite relative, and subjective.. :wink:
I guess we all have our guilty pleasures. I also have a nice guitar collection too. Yet we have to keep in mind there is a whole world out there and Covid 19 may be the great equalizer that affects us all, either via our health or finances........from Silicon Valley to Wall Street!

May 14, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,740 of 11,880
True statement. My friend owns a $400 toaster and well my car collection is far from reasonable (R8 and RS7 lol)

Tasting toast from a $400 toaster just made my bucket list...

I guess we all have our guilty pleasures. I also have a nice guitar collection too. Yet we have to keep in mind there is a whole world out there and Covid 19 may be the great equalizer that affects us all, either via our health or finances........from Silicon Valley to Wall Street!

Touché :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back