HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #1,486 of 11,870
EDIT ADD: Given the example of HE-6 I know vs the HE6SE I own - the 6SE has very nice bass - but does not slam with the same impact as the HE-6 (given the same equipment and same recordings). There is nothing wrong with the 6SE bass but its not the same - regardless of the objective evidence (graphs on line), and a close examination of both physically proves with ease that HFM's marketing claims that they are same is simply incorrect (or a bald lie) - take your pick.
Kind of sad that everyone gets hyped over the re-release of some bonafide classics from Hifiman only to realize later that the drivers are different* to the OG ones.

*EDIT

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #1,487 of 11,870
Kind of sad that everyone gets hyped over the re-release of some bonafide classics from Hifiman only to realize later that the drivers are sound different to the OG ones.
+1

Gawd, I know, right. I purchased the HE5se thinking it was an HE5 or an HE5LE, but I seriously doubt it is. I’ve tried many times to like the 5se, but I just can not as it sounds “off” and “odd.” I’ve tried listening to all different types of music with the 5se thinking, “well, it’s an HE5, and people really like this thing so it must be me,” but I just ended up taking it off my head and using something else. I even tried the 5se for movies and I couldn’t do that either. I did read last week on HFM Tree of Evolution, https://hifiman.com/evo-fhp/tree.html#id_12 , that the 5se is a nanometer diaphragm and I don’t think the HE5 or the HE5LE used this diaphragm. I purchased the 5se new, so maybe there is just a really long break-in that I’ve not reached yet with the 5se for it to sound “excellent,” so for now, it just sits in its box. : (

Dec 30, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #1,488 of 11,870
+1

Gawd, I know, right. I purchased the HE5se thinking it was an HE5 or an HE5LE, but I seriously doubt it is. I’ve tried many times to like the 5se, but I just can not as it sounds “off” and “odd.” I’ve tried listening to all different types of music with the 5se thinking, “well, it’s an HE5, and people really like this thing so it must be me,” but I just ended up taking it off my head and using something else. I even tried the 5se for movies and I couldn’t do that either. I did read last week on HFM Tree of Evolution, https://hifiman.com/evo-fhp/tree.html#id_12 , that the 5se is a nanometer diaphragm and I don’t think the HE5 or the HE5LE used this diaphragm. I purchased the 5se new, so maybe there is just a really long break-in that I’ve not reached yet with the 5se for it to sound “excellent,” so for now, it just sits in its box. : (

Did you check polarity? Sounds like one or both drivers are out of phase...

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,489 of 11,870
Have been using HD800(s) for years and considering Arya as new alternative, has anybody made comparison? Whats better, whats worse:) Perhaps looking for slightly smoother sound (and + bass quantity) without too much sacrife to soundstage and detail!

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #1,490 of 11,870
Have been using HD800(s) for years and considering Arya as new alternative, has anybody made comparison? Whats better, whats worse:) Perhaps looking for slightly smoother sound (and + bass quantity) without too much sacrife to soundstage and detail!

I switched from HD800S to Arya about nine months ago and never looked back. Smoother sound, better and lower bass, more natural tone (especially noticeable on jazz and vocals). I had HD800 and 800S for maybe ten years. But I'm very happy with my Arya's. Comfort comes down to personal preference. I think the HD800S's are a little lighter, I prefer the pads on the Arya's. The Arya's have a bit more clamp which I've gotten used to pretty easily.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,491 of 11,870
+1

+1

Those old hfm are all pretty much in the 2 and 3 MIL thick territory which is a lot thicker than the current HFM. The thing is the ultra thin isn't always better. Good marketing speil for sure. I agree that my x HE5SE were awful.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,492 of 11,870
I've upgraded to the Arya from the Ananda and the benefits have been greater than I actually expected. Wrote a little about it in the Arya's section. With the exception of its treble peak, which I found dissapointing in the context of it being a high end headphone of today, the Arya is one hell of a package and hits a lot of notes (technical, tuning, staging), has high genre compatiblity and is very comfortable. Still wouldn't say it's worth the MSRP. No headphone above 1k is for me though.

I switched from HD800S to Arya about nine months ago and never looked back. Smoother sound, better and lower bass, more natural tone (especially noticeable on jazz and vocals). I had HD800 and 800S for maybe ten years. But I'm very happy with my Arya's. Comfort comes down to personal preference. I think the HD800S's are a little lighter, I prefer the pads on the Arya's. The Arya's have a bit more clamp which I've gotten used to pretty easily.

HD 800 still has the edge on the finiest and tiniest details and its staging still reigns supreme. Also transients are sharper, more tactile. The bass rolls off earlier and does not have the same weight and punch down low, yes, but with a great amp it can still give a lot of slam and thump before the rolloff.
The real critical downsides to me are the 6k peak and the upper mids dip. Other than that it's still TOTL.

Arya has the edge on overall gerne compatibility but it's not a world's apart. If it didn't have that 5k peak it could have gone a bit further though. Would be quite the complete package to lay down and forget about upgrades for years.

I'd take a Arya over the HD800S. Between modded HD800 OG and Arya it's a tossup, difficult. I find lots of SS amps lack voltage swing and make the HD800 appear thin and limpish. Tubes are no option for me as the only tube amp that I want is way too expensive to import to Germany. With the Niimbus loaner I have with me bass "concerns" on the HD800 are only a matter of rolloff on the lowest octaves. I found the JAR HD 650 I have much more scary on the same amp. Thank god for its bass rolloff as it made me doubt high end headphones again. Mids and treble character/detail reveal of the HD 650 is still TOTL, mid to treble transition is perfect in my opinion.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #1,493 of 11,870
I've upgraded to the Arya from the Ananda and the benefits have been greater than I actually expected. Wrote a little about it in the Arya's section. With the exception of its treble peak, which I found dissapointing in the context of it being a high end headphone of today, the Arya is one hell of a package and hits a lot of notes (technical, tuning, staging), has high genre compatiblity and is very comfortable. Still wouldn't say it's worth the MSRP. No headphone above 1k is for me though.
In what genres you got annoyed by treble peak of Ananda? I got it you saying Arya has better genre compability than Ananda because of its treble peak?

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #1,495 of 11,870
Anyone have suggestions on what DAC/Amplifier would drive the Arya well? I have about $1000 to spend, and was thinking of getting a THX AAA 789, but wasn't too sure about the DAC.

I have the Monoprice AAA 788 DAC / Amp combo and it sounds amazing with the Arya.

In what genres you got annoyed by treble peak of Ananda? I got it you saying Arya has better genre compability than Ananda because of its treble peak?

Anything that had Sibilance was ear piercing on the Ananda. The Ssss sound was like someone sticking a toothpick into my ear drum.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,496 of 11,870
HD 800 still has the edge on the finiest and tiniest details and its staging still reigns supreme. Also transients are sharper, more tactile. The bass rolls off earlier and does not have the same weight and punch down low, yes, but with a great amp it can still give a lot of slam and thump before the rolloff.
The real critical downsides to me are the 6k peak and the upper mids dip. Other than that it's still TOTL.
I generally agree with your impressions. Same for me regarding the HD800. It does have details in the treble area, but since it's strong there with upper-mids a bit recessed, the mids definition is a bit lacking and slightly fuzzy, not well defined there. I just find the HD800 details too strongly in the treble relative to the mids, and in certain tracks it's too evident. In some ways it can sound brilliant, with some tracks, especially electronics and jazz. The problem is, it gets fatiguing due to the treble.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #1,499 of 11,870
Jan 12, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,500 of 11,870
If you are gonna just copy and paste the link to a "hugo 2" search to this thread, maybe you should read over the search results... Nothing in there shows someone's thoughts on the Arya with the Hugo 2...

I just think it's belittling someone's honest question to say "here let me search that for you" especially if it hasn't need covered before. I don't mean to start an argument, this kind of thing is just a sore spot for me and I think that we, as a community of like minded enthusiasts, can do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back