HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #4,876 of 11,884
Just got them (V3 with Stealth Magnets) in!

I immediately threw them on the EARS rig and that was the result. I measured multiple times and even swapped them around to the other mics which produced the same result.

What's with that 3.5hz dip on the left channel? -6db vs right channel...

They sound great!
Am curious if v3 (with stealth magnets) will sound closer to HE1000se. Bought my Arya v2 (no document stating stealth magnet tech) less than a month ago and planned my Amp &
Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone who has both can do a mini review of their sonic differences.
I share your curiosity. Bought my Arya (non mesh) a month ago at a very good price in a reputable local store and it does not come with any document mentioning stealth magnet technology, so I reckon it's a V2. Much that I am enjoying my Arya v2, I am very curious to know more about this Arya v3.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #4,877 of 11,884
Thanks, Bit to hard to see but is there a black line through the middle of each magnet? i'll edit if i find a picture, no camera & light issues here.
Edit: https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11524203.jpg
There is no line in the middle of the magnets. The line you see is conductor on membrane. Magnets on the inner side are smaller and square section on V2 they have sharp edges on V3 they should be rounded. Here are pics of my V2 magnets.

Attachments

• 20210908_202204.jpg
    20210908_202204.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210908_202233.jpg
    20210908_202233.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,879 of 11,884
God I hate the design. The round circle-cup Hifimans like the HE-6 and HE-400 look nice, but the grill-cup Hifimans look ugly.

Anyway, are these headphones neutral? Are these good neutral upgrades to the R70x? And if my amp can drive the R70x very loud can it drive these (to at least 110dB SPL)? my Amp outputs 300mW at 16 Ohm and 28mw at 300Ohm.
Are you positive about those power numbers? If so, that’s not much of an amp

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #4,880 of 11,884
God I hate the design. The round circle-cup Hifimans like the HE-6 and HE-400 look nice, but the grill-cup Hifimans look ugly.

Anyway, are these headphones neutral? Are these good neutral upgrades to the R70x? And if my amp can drive the R70x very loud can it drive these (to at least 110dB SPL)? my Amp outputs 300mW at 16 Ohm and 28mw at 300Ohm.

I like this design more than circles, but I haven't tried the he6. They should make a special edition all white version and embrace the EGG !!

What is neutral to you ? That amp is inadequate for the headphone you mentioned and will not be adequate for this one either.

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,881 of 11,884
Perhaps the updates are carry over parts from the HEK***.. I wonder if it will sound smoother and have the same bass still ?
Something tells me the stealth magnets don't have as influential a change as the actual driver used. It might not make the Arya sound any smoother either, since the stealth magnets were used first in the HEKSE, not the HEKV2, and from what I read the SE has a more peaky, punchy sound, similar to the Arya. Then again, they were also used in the Susvara, but that's another monster altogether.

If I had to guess, I would say the smoothness in the HEKV2 has more to with tuning and actual driver used, since soundstage is so much wider with a clear step up in imaging. But I could be wrong. I would be pissed I spent so much money on these, but I could be wrong :sweat_smile:

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #4,882 of 11,884

I agree that I think I like the look of the round cupped HIFMANs more than the egg shape, but the egg shape are so much more comfortable, particularly the Arya.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #4,883 of 11,884
Something tells me the stealth magnets don't have as influential a change as the actual driver used. It might not make the Arya sound any smoother either, since the stealth magnets were used first in the HEKSE, not the HEKV2, and from what I read the SE has a more peaky, punchy sound, similar to the Arya. Then again, they were also used in the Susvara, but that's another monster altogether.

If I had to guess, I would say the smoothness in the HEKV2 has more to with tuning and actual driver used, since soundstage is so much wider with a clear step up in imaging. But I could be wrong. I would be pissed I spent so much money on these, but I could be wrong :sweat_smile:

I'm just postulating and I could be completely off base.
But changing the magnet array would be tuning the driver, don't you think ? I really need to do a deep dive into hifiman tech and history. I'm sure there is a enthusiast hifiman historian with technical knowledge that could summarize it all for us ! I summon thee !

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #4,884 of 11,884
On it's face it seems to me like the stealth magnet V3 Arya may be trying to be closer to a baby HEKSE. Or maybe it's just easier for HFM to have only one or two types of magnets to manufacture. I dunno but I'm waiting with the popcorn. :popcorn:

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #4,885 of 11,884
Are you positive about those power numbers? If so, that’s not much of an amp

That amp is inadequate for the headphone you mentioned and will not be adequate for this one either.
It can drive my R70x to extremely loud volumes without reaching max volume and without noticable distortion on high gain. Excluding very dynamic Romantic music (which is quiet by design) it drives every genre to loud levels (it reaches 110dB peak SPL even for bass which is more than enough headroom). If it drives the R70x it can drive these.

What is neutral to you ?
Flat frequency response, not too much boost in frequencies. The R70x and HD600s are neutral, so a higher tier version of them is something I want. Are these more neutral than the Elears?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #4,886 of 11,884
It can drive my R70x to extremely loud volumes without reaching max volume and without noticable distortion on high gain. Excluding very dynamic Romantic music (which is quiet by design) it drives every genre to loud levels (it reaches 110dB peak SPL even for bass which is more than enough headroom). If it drives the R70x it can drive these.

Flat frequency response, not too much boost in frequencies. The R70x and HD600s are neutral, so a higher tier version of them is something I want. Are these more neutral than the Elears?

What amp do you have ? You said it does 28mw at 300Ohm. Because if your R70x has an impedance of 470ohms it needs 33mw to achieve 105db. That headphone already has rolled off bass and you may be able to get it loud, but It seems to be under powered. You also said its can't do high dynamic range music either. It wont be enough for the arya IMO. You may be able to get it loud, but it will be bass light and shouty most likely.

1631144580991.png

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #4,887 of 11,884
If it drives the R70x it can drive these.
The R70X are significantly easier to drive than the Arya, if you look at the sensitivity. You might find that you run out of headroom really fast.

In terms of neutrality, I would say they lean towards being V-shaped. If you want something more HD600-sounding, I would recommend either the Focal Clear or the ZMF Auteur. The Hifiman sound is just very different.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #4,888 of 11,884
What amp do you have ? You said it does 28mw at 300Ohm. Because if your R70x has an impedance of 470ohms it needs 1.5w to achieve 105db
1.5W? where did you get that. At 470Ohms and 99dB/mW it needs 12mW to reach 110dB.
. That headphone already has rolled off bass and you may be able to get it loud, but It seems to be under powered.
It does 108dB SPL in the bass region and 112-113 peak SPL everywhere else. It's not too bass-light I think since the bass is punchy. Keep in mind it is in high gain which adds a few more dB. I don't get why you need 115-120dB peak SPL.

It wont be enough for the arya IMO.
My amp was designed for the CL1's which are 89dB/mW and 150Ohms and can drive them to very loud levels with rich bass, and they are more demanding than the Aryas.
You may be able to get it loud, but it will be bass light and shouty most likely.
The bass is good with bassy music.
You also said its can't do high dynamic range music either.
I said only Romantic. High dynamic range music, even baroque and rock, get loud. And the loud parts of it do get loud, only the quiet parts are quiet which I think is part of the recording, as even my MSR7's only play them slightly louder.
The R70X are significantly easier to drive than the Arya, if you look at the sensitivity. You might find that you run out of headroom really fast.
I would put them on the same level. The Aryas aren't HE-6 tier hard to drive (that is one headphone I admit my amp won't drive). My amp can drive both to 110dB peak SPL. Aryas need 100mW for 110dB.
In terms of neutrality, I would say they lean towards being V-shaped. If you want something more HD600-sounding, I would recommend either the Focal Clear or the ZMF Auteur. The Hifiman sound is just very different.
Thank you. I guess I'll look into the Clears then. What about the HD800s or Elears?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #4,889 of 11,884

Curious to know what amp do you have? Planars need good current vs the voltage that most dynamic drivers (like the R70x) run on. If your amp is sorta iffy (and 300mw is real iffy for a planar), you will probably not have the best experience with the Arya. Many of the people who haven't liked the Arya were either under driving them or were driving them with entry level or mid level THX, NFCA, or other chip amps. Personally, I wouldn't drive any planar HP with less than around 2 watts and good current.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #4,890 of 11,884
Curious to know what amp do you have? Planars need good current vs the voltage that most dynamic drivers (like the R70x) run on. If your amp is sorta iffy (and 300mw is real iffy for a planar), you will probably not have the best experience with the Arya. Many of the people who haven't liked the Arya were either under driving them or were driving them with entry level or mid level THX, NFCA, or other chip amps. Personally, I wouldn't drive any planar HP with less than around 2 watts and good current.
Well I never tried planars so I might audition some, but what do you mean by "iffy"? What about less sensitive planars like the LCD X? Does it have to do with their power or just how planars sound? 2W even for the Aryas are ear-deafening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back