Hifiman 801 v19 firmware breaks DAC function
Oct 3, 2010 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been able to switch the player to DAC mode through COAX-IN and use it fine before v19 firmware. However since then, it just boots into normal player mode.  I can see the logo of a DAC mode showing up for 0.1 seconds then immediatelly the menu of the player overrides it.  Its not cosmetic either, as I get no sound in DAC mode anymore.

Anyone else experience this?

Edit: Seems if I take out the coax cable and plug it back in again that finally puts it in DAC mode.  But I still get no sound out of it.  I know this used to work before v19

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 14
I tried and found a slightly different result (v0.19). Same as the OP described, the Logo for DAC-in freshed for 0.1 second then the menu boot up (and reconnect the plug make the DAC-in logo appears again), The difference is that the DAC function still works fine on my HM-801 (as long as it is set to Coxial and DAC function), and I can still listen to the DAC-in, even though I can select the menu and play music on it (but no music on menu is heard, just the DAC-in has sound). I suppose the usual routine is that the DAC-in logo should override the menu so the user can't operate the menu in DAC-in mode, but somehow when the plug is already in when the player is starting up the overriding instruction get ignored in the v0.19?

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 14
I see the window switching issue but the DAC works perfectly fine through my M2Tech Hiface.  Are you 100% sure the original signal is clocked correctly?

Again, I see the firmware bug that the window will switch back sometimes (you can replug in the coax in order for the firmware to recognize a connection on input and switch to the DAC screen).

But for me the DAC works fine.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 14
The DAC function on my 801 does not work either.  I've simply plugged the USB cord in to the Dac input on the 801 and the headphones into the headphone jack (Just as I would do on my E7).  Zero sound comes out.  I have the coaxial cable but have no idea what it is for.

I wish HIFIMan would spend a modicum of time developing a useful users manual.  For $800, this unit should not come with malfunctioning firmware and inadequate instructions.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 14
I did manipulate the switches.  However, they are unlabled as to which setting is for which use.  I could not find any reference to the proper switch settings in the 801 instructions.  Plaaying with the switches seems to make no difference.

In lookin for help on the net, I found some statements sayingthe Coaxial jack was an output jack to enable transfer of music to a home system.  I also read the Coaxial jack was an output to enable one to use an external DAC with the HM.  HM material says it is used and an alternative to the USB for DAC use without specific instructions though.

My 801 does show the little USB Dac screen, if I plug in the USB after the unit is powered on.  My computer also recognizes the 801 as a DAC.  However, no sound come out of the headphone jack.  I've tried to use the DAC function on one computer with the Vista and on my laptop which uses XP.  Same result on both computers.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I did manipulate the switches.  However, they are unlabled as to which setting is for which use.  I could not find any reference to the proper switch settings in the 801 instructions.  Plaaying with the switches seems to make no difference.

In lookin for help on the net, I found some statements sayingthe Coaxial jack was an output jack to enable transfer of music to a home system.  I also read the Coaxial jack was an output to enable one to use an external DAC with the HM.  HM material says it is used and an alternative to the USB for DAC use without specific instructions though.

My 801 does show the little USB Dac screen, if I plug in the USB after the unit is powered on.  My computer also recognizes the 801 as a DAC.  However, no sound come out of the headphone jack.  I've tried to use the DAC function on one computer with the Vista and on my laptop which uses XP.  Same result on both computers.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Are you sure that you are using the device for output on Windows?  What is your default audio device listed as in Control Panel->Sound?

The HM-801 is clearly marked on the back:  Coax/USB and DAC/PLAYER (one for each switch)

You should put it on USB and DAC.  If I hold the unit facing me upright, that would be top right switch down for USB and the the switch below it up for DAC.  At this point you should connect the USB cable to the USB DAC mini plug on the bottom of the unit and the computer.  Last thing, make sure its the default audio device of your player.

This works with v19 firmware (for practically everyone) so either you have a defective unit or there is some pilot error on your part, i.e. its not the firmware.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks so much for your help Trogdor.  I never noticed the switch setting labels on the back of the unit.  When set as you recommended, I am getting sound.... beautiful sound.  As you said, it appears there was an incidence of pilot error, and I was the pilot.  My mistake.

Bill

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help Trogdor.  I never noticed the switch setting labels on the back of the unit.  When set as you recommended, I am getting sound.... beautiful sound.  As you said, it appears there was an incidence of pilot error, and I was the pilot.  My mistake.

Bill

The USB is a lot worse than the Coax In, so if you like the USB, you will LOVE the Coax in (the USB is limited on the sample rate and its implementation).

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 14
So, if my computer has a Coaxial output (?), I would run the coax cable from the computer to the same input on the 801 and flip the switch to coax?

Editted to add:  I don't see a coalial output on my laptop.   There is a round output but female innards don't seem to line up with the coax cable I received from HiFiMan.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 14
Check if you have an coaxial-out (S/PDIF) on the laptop. If it does have coaxial-out, find a cable that will connect it to the coaxial adapter that comes with HM801. It will sings like never before. If the laptop doesn't have coaxial-out, I will suggest you invest just a little more for an USB-to-coaxial adapter, but looks for something that supports 24bit/192kHz, like an uDAC.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 14
I've had no problems with v.19 firmware and the USB DAC function.  I often forget to put the USB/Coax or DAC/Player switch in the correct position.

I just got the Music Fidelity V-Link, costs less than $200 shipped, and offers driver-less 24/96 Asynchronous USB connection.  It has both Coax and Optical output.  And the extra bonus is that it's so huge, it makes the HM-801 look small by comparison!

Works perfectly, the weird part is that the moment I hold the power button to turn it on, even before the firmware "boots" up, I'm getting sound through the line out and the V-Link is getting sync. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back