HiFiMan 603, Hidizs AP100, iBasso DX50 or Fiio X3?
Jun 25, 2015 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mesmerized

Head-Fier
Hello there,
I was almost ready to get HiFiMan 603 but things got a bit complicated as I started reading more. Which of these would you say is the best choice? HiFiMan 603, Hidizs AP100, iBasso DX50 or Fiio X3? I'm selling my iPod Classic and moving to a better world. Any comments highly appreciated.
Cheers

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Take my opinion with a grain of salt. The HM603 is the warmest of the bunch, and will benefit brighter headphones that need a little smoothing, or if you like a more "old tube" style sound. The DX50 is bright, clear, but loses a little body due to this. The X3 (2nd gen) is balanced with a tilt to the warmer side, where the AP100 is balanced with a slight tilt to the brighter side. 

While the HM series has always appealed to me, my money would be on the X3ii or the AP100. The DX50 is currently behind these two (they stand on the DX90 level), and the HM603 is less appealing as a package than the previous two. 

Differences between X3ii and AP100:

AP100: Great file tree browsing, quick, looks good, DAC out. 
X3ii: Artist browsing, quick, scroll wheel vs buttons, more compact

These two are similar, so pick which one you think you'll enjoy more.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi mosshorn, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what "old tube" would sound like... I like warm sounds coming from my dad's tube amplifier so perhaps for stuff like big fat Led Zeppelin riffs HFM 603 would be best? I'm confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back