HiFiMan 400S vs HD600/650: Which is better at low volumes?
Jun 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheEldestBoy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I listen to my music at relatively low volumes (I have a bit of sound sensitivity and my ears get fatigued quicker than the average listener).

From what I've read, the HiFiMan 400s has a more present & less laid-back bottom-end (with the hifiman focus pads or the brainwavz pads) than the HD600/650.  It also seems like the 400s will have more presence/sparkle in the high-end as well.

So... I'm wondering if the 400s might be better at lower volumes?

In other words, do the HD600/650s need to be listened to at louder volumes in order for the bass and treble to really make themselves audible/present.  Can I get the same audibility/presence from the 400s at a lower volume?

For reference here, I'd probably amping these headphones with something like the Dragonfly Red or the OPPO HA-2.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 9
Those headphones that normally shine at lower levels are the ones that can cause fatigue at moderately loud levels.
Headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT990 will provide plenty of sparkle and bass even at very low levels, raise the levels too much an it will surely cause fatigue. On the other hand, headphones like HD650 can be much more forgiving/softer at the expense of being boring/not engaging at low levels. So that's the trade off.

One more thing to consider is that modern ultra compressed studio recordings tend to be way more fatiguing, than properly recorded music.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 9
I also prefer to listen at low volumes.  I find the 400S needs to be pushed to higher volumes than I normally listen to, in order to get the best out of them.  I don't find them fatiguing at all, though.

I've never heard the HD600/650 so I can't comment there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back