HIFIGO - Is this Practice Normal?
Jan 4, 2024 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GDunlop

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I have a question to ask everyone since I am a bit confused on this. I made an order with HIFIGO where I bought the Moondrop Blessing 3 earphones from them. The delivery company (Evri in the UK) left the parcel unattended outside my doorstep when I was at work and when I got home they were missing. So pretty much they were stolen from my doorstep. I didn't even know they were going to deliver it that day until after I got to work.

Now I have raised a police report and a lot of other stuff has happened but I won't go into that detail here since I don't think it's really relevant to the question. I did contact Evri the delivery company and they stated that HIFIGO should send out a replacement. They say they have some sort of agreement with companies that use them for delivery in this regard although I don't really know what that means.

However HIFIGO are offering me to replace the product but they want me to pay money. First they offered to resend it for half price ($135) and after my latest response they are now asking me to pay $100 for replacement. So I'm wanting to know, is this normal practice for them?

I have contacted my bank already to see what they can do and they advised that I can claim a dispute on the payment since I never received it. They however did advise to contact HIFIGO first and stated they should send out a replacement.

I'm really confused now about this. I just want to know what the normal practice is for this. Do HIFIGO send out replacements when this happens normally or do you just have to claim the bank from your credit bank through your bank when this happens?

Regards

Graeme

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 8
I can't speak to HIFIGO's policies, their possible agreements with the shipping company, or if there are different requirements in the UK, but in my experience in the US, replacement policies for stolen packages are entirely at the discretion of the retailer, as neither they nor the shipping company are technically responsible for what happens after a normal delivery occurs (different matter if you can prove something was incorrect with the delivery). They could just say no rather than offering a replacement for free or for a reduced cost.

Many companies will offer a replacement just in the name of good customer service, but they're generally not obligated to do it, and if they can prove delivery you may well lose a dispute on the payment with your bank. Might still be worth trying, as there's some variability on credit card disputes and I don't know if there are different regulations in the UK that may make a dispute easier to win in your case.

I do know, at least in the US, that you can make an insurance claim for stolen packages with your renters/home owners insurance, but this is rarely worth it unless it's a really high value item because you'd have to pay your deductible.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi Everyone,

I have a question to ask everyone since I am a bit confused on this. I made an order with HIFIGO where I bought the Moondrop Blessing 3 earphones from them. The delivery company (Evri in the UK) left the parcel unattended outside my doorstep when I was at work and when I got home they were missing. So pretty much they were stolen from my doorstep. I didn't even know they were going to deliver it that day until after I got to work.

Now I have raised a police report and a lot of other stuff has happened but I won't go into that detail here since I don't think it's really relevant to the question. I did contact Evri the delivery company and they stated that HIFIGO should send out a replacement. They say they have some sort of agreement with companies that use them for delivery in this regard although I don't really know what that means.

However HIFIGO are offering me to replace the product but they want me to pay money. First they offered to resend it for half price ($135) and after my latest response they are now asking me to pay $100 for replacement. So I'm wanting to know, is this normal practice for them?

I have contacted my bank already to see what they can do and they advised that I can claim a dispute on the payment since I never received it. They however did advise to contact HIFIGO first and stated they should send out a replacement.

I'm really confused now about this. I just want to know what the normal practice is for this. Do HIFIGO send out replacements when this happens normally or do you just have to claim the bank from your credit bank through your bank when this happens?

Regards

Graeme
I can't speak for how hifigo typically operates as I have only ordered from them once because their location means that it takes 3 weeks to get stuff to the U.S. Normally, they should contact the shipping company and file an insurance claim. Now, if they didn't insure the package for the full value, they might be trying to get that amount back through you. They also have no proof that you didn't receive the package if it was just left outside. Most companies require signature delivery for that reason.

You can demand that they send you a new one without paying anything, but from their perspective they probably feel like they upheld their end of the transaction - shipping to your door. What happens after that is not necessarily their problem - or the shipping company's problem as they fulfilled their contract. Best of luck and I hope you get your headphones!

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 8
I had (almost) the exact same experience with HifiGo. In my case the local carrier lost the package, but reported it as delivered in their system. Luckily, I had made screenshots every day of the delivery progress/status (I must have suspected something). That was eventually enough proof for Paypal to accept my complaint and grant me a full refund. But initially, HifiGo offered me to resend it for half price, paid in advance AND demanded me to drop the Paypal case. I normally have very good experiences with them, but this time was crap. In HifiGo's defence, it must be close to impossible for them to investigate last mile delivery issues.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 8
I can't speak to HIFIGO's policies, their possible agreements with the shipping company, or if there are different requirements in the UK, but in my experience in the US, replacement policies for stolen packages are entirely at the discretion of the retailer, as neither they nor the shipping company are technically responsible for what happens after a normal delivery occurs (different matter if you can prove something was incorrect with the delivery). They could just say no rather than offering a replacement for free or for a reduced cost.

Many companies will offer a replacement just in the name of good customer service, but they're generally not obligated to do it, and if they can prove delivery you may well lose a dispute on the payment with your bank. Might still be worth trying, as there's some variability on credit card disputes and I don't know if there are different regulations in the UK that may make a dispute easier to win in your case.

I do know, at least in the US, that you can make an insurance claim for stolen packages with your renters/home owners insurance, but this is rarely worth it unless it's a really high value item because you'd have to pay your deductible.

Thanks for your response. The delivery company only have a photo of them leaving it on my doorstep. I was out the house though and I was not at home so obviously I didn't sign for them either. It looks like I may need to make a claim with my bank in regards to it. I don't consider the delivery company just leaving the package in an insecure place outside when I'm not even home as a normal delivery.

Thanks for the reply anyway. I just wanted to know what the standard practice is for this. If I am going to make big purchases in future then I can't really buy them from HiFIGo if they use Evri as a delivery company (They don't have a good reputation in the UK) since they have a habit of just leaving parcels on doorsteps in insecure places where people can steal them and also if they are not going to send out replacements when this happens.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I had (almost) the exact same experience with HifiGo. In my case the local carrier lost the package, but reported it as delivered in their system. Luckily, I had made screenshots every day of the delivery progress/status (I must have suspected something). That was eventually enough proof for Paypal to accept my complaint and grant me a full refund. But initially, HifiGo offered me to resend it for half price, paid in advance AND demanded me to drop the Paypal case. I normally have very good experiences with them, but this time was crap. In HifiGo's defence, it must be close to impossible for them to investigate last mile delivery issues.

Thanks for this response. After calling my bank tonight the person on the phone basically advised me to raise a dispute. I used my credit card to pay for it so it was essentially a protected purchase. I did ask them if this would mean that I couldn't use HiFiGo agian in future. Although there was no strict policy as such it was advised that would probably be best to do. So the rep at my bank is taking the position that I should just file for my money back and not take the $100 offer for replacement.

It's something I really need to think about. Like I said above the delivery company in the UK that picks it up is Evri and they have a notorious reputation for leaving packages at door steps in insecure places. A lot of time they don't even ring the door bell, so even if you are at home you won't know the package is there until you check your emails. Not sure what other companies use Evri though.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't consider the delivery company just leaving the package in an insecure place outside when I'm not even home as a normal delivery

That's standard operating procedure in my neighbourhood. I'm lucky if the delivery driver even walks the whole way to the front door - often they get about halfway up the driveway and just toss the package toward the porch.

Fortunately, I've never had a porch theft to deal with (nor am I aware of any of my neighbours having that happen) but if something is valuable or important to me, I'll use my local post office as the delivery address and then pick it up there.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 8
That's standard operating procedure in my neighbourhood. I'm lucky if the delivery driver even walks the whole way to the front door - often they get about halfway up the driveway and just toss the package toward the porch.

Fortunately, I've never had a porch theft to deal with (nor am I aware of any of my neighbours having that happen) but if something is valuable or important to me, I'll use my local post office as the delivery address and then pick it up there.

Evri have especially a bad reputation. They used to be called Hermes but they had to change their name to Evri because of their bad reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back