HiFi Rose RS150/150B Network Streamer - Official Thread
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

zen87192

1000+ Head-Fier
Good day to all,

I’d like to begin this thread to hear from current and interested future owners of their thoughts on this seemingly wonderful Network Streamer. I know there is a dedicated forum thread on the HiFi Rose Community site but thought it would be nice to keep it ‘local’ within Head-Fi for ease of reference movement between other threads we all relate to.

My very first question to current and prospective owners of the RS150 is: what are your thoughts on the ‘old’ model and the ’new’ model ‘B’ ?
Is there a great difference to users between the two models other than a greater Output Level and Chip Sound Signature?

I’m located in the UK and am almost going to ‘press’ the button on one of these. Question I’m asking myself currently is could I source the AKM version, most probably used, if this is the model to go for…. or is the ‘new‘ model just as good?

As always, I’m very appreciative for everyone’s thoughts and input as to how you are getting on with your unit together with Hints and Tips. Looking forward to hopefully an exciting and informative thread.

Cheers all! 🍻

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 27
I bought the RS250 as a replacement of a new Node and Qutest combo. I am very happy with it as a Roon endpoint. Sounds fantastic.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 27
I have had the RS150B for two days now. Initially I ran it directly to a Woo WES and it sounded very good. The DAC was nice and truthfully I didn't feel it needed to offload the DAC processing to a separate piece. Of course I did it anyway and ran a USB out of the RS150B into a new Denafrips Pontus II (I read that it will need some break in time before it is fully realized) and its sound a notch better to my ears. I have a Mjolnir Carbon coming later this week and I will run the different configrations to see how they sound. For the time being however I am very pleased :): I mostly listed to chamber music and soft jazz both vocal and instrumental.

Aug 13, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 27
Wondering how RS150 dac vs Chord TT2
Anyone knows?

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 27
They are differebt animals for sure. I have owned both. Kept the RS150. The Hugo TT2 is a better "live sounding" system. The Rose is a multi-function device with a good DAC. I use the Rose with a Pontus II DAC and it sounds better. However I mostly listen to string quartet and mellow jazz music.

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 27
I just bought a RS150B. I compared the onboard DAC and it was no comparison….my Rockna Wavelight is significantly better as both a dac and preamp. Too bad as I would have much rather use the remote which came with the HiFi Rose than the app for the Wavelight. I am very happy with the HIFI Rose as a streamer though. It sounds excellent! It is a keeper. Next will be testing the I2S to connect the two.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 27
Selling my mint black 150b in case anyone is interested :)

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 27
Hello all,

Curious if owners of Hifi Rose streamers (I have the 150b) use an external DAC instead of the internal DAC of the Hifi Rose and if so what benefits do you hear.

I am very satisfied with the sound of the 150b and I believe Hifi Rose did a great job incorporating high end internal components to support the sound quality, including the DAC, for the 150b. But would I get better sound beyond what I have today with an external DAC?

I was thinking about the Holo Spring 3. In my setup I have very resolving / detailed speakers and headphones along with a high quality headphone amp. The only area of my component chain that I am unsure on is the DAC.

I welcome your input.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 27
Hello all,

Curious if owners of Hifi Rose streamers (I have the 150b) use an external DAC instead of the internal DAC of the Hifi Rose and if so what benefits do you hear.

I am very satisfied with the sound of the 150b and I believe Hifi Rose did a great job incorporating high end internal components to support the sound quality, including the DAC, for the 150b. But would I get better sound beyond what I have today with an external DAC?

I was thinking about the Holo Spring 3. In my setup I have very resolving / detailed speakers and headphones along with a high quality headphone amp. The only area of my component chain that I am unsure on is the DAC.

I welcome your input.
I used the Denafrips Terminator 2 and it worked well. I have moved on to the Gustard R26 which is my current favorite DAC.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 27
I used the Denafrips Terminator 2 and it worked well. I have moved on to the Gustard R26 which is my current favorite DAC.
So you find the sound improvements significant with the R26? Any technical conflicts with your HifiRose? Which model rose do you have?

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 27
You prefer R26 to a Terminator? I am struggling to reconcile that...

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #14 of 27
I sold my RS150B and have a RS250A on order. I can tell you that the T2 did improve the sound quality (I use headphones exclusively). I find the Gustard at $1700 to sound better (to my ears and I mostly listen to string quartet and soft jazz) to be a bit richer and a touch more organic. Also there is a built in streamer and preamp at 1/3 the price.

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 27
You prefer R26 to a Terminator? I am struggling to reconcile that...
It may be because of the genres I listen to (string quartet and soft jazz). Also I only use headphones. As peoples chains can be quite different and our ears can be quite different you can get different impressions. I also have 70 year old ears too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back