Hifi Man 500 question
Aug 16, 2015 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elegantlife

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been checking these forums for reviews on the HE-500 so thanks for your posts. 

I ordered the 500's, but was sent the wrong headphone, the 400's from a third party store off amazon. I enjoyed them for a few days and then sent them back and a week later received the 500's. 

I was really excited to get these headphones, and they sound good, have a much more transparent presentation than the 400's, but I feel like because the 400's were easier to drive, to be frank, the dynamics and definition of each particular instrument was better, maybe?

I'm new to this headphone stuff- would that be correct?

I'm using a new vamp verza I got to use these headphones with. Their power output:

130mW/150mW depending whether they're being used through a phone or usb. 

All I could find on the HE-500: 89dB sensitivity. 

My question is that would I be better off with a more powerful amp? Would I need to get a new D/A converter as well then? Don't get me wrong, the vamp verza is plenty powerful enough to make these loud, louder than I would use, but they just don't sound as good in terms of nuances of the dynamics, I feel so much farther away from the instruments/music with these than I remember doing with the 400 model, by far actually. They just don't kick as much as the 400's did, I don't mean as in they are more transparent it feels like it's missing. Is that normal?

Is there a logical basis for any of this? I'm just trying to figure out how to get the best sound, thanks for your help.

Hi/Lo Gain: Switch between 80mW or 130mW/150mW output - See more at: http://v-moda.com/vamp/#sthash.3hnFGRFO.dpuf 

Hi/Lo Gain: Switch between 80mW or 130mW/150mW output - See more at: http://v-moda.com/vamp/#sthash.3hnFGRFO.dpuf

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 7
That amp seems a bit weak to me even for the HE-400 to get the best out of them.

However, it could also be that you prefer the sound of the HE-400 to the HE-500. Difficult to guess given that the amp could easily be at least part of the problem.

Do you need a portable DAC/amp? There are many options that are more powerful in a desktop DAC/amp setup.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. So it's probably the amp then. No, I don't really it's just the convenience factor that is nice. How powerful an amp should I get to get the most out of the HE-500's? Also if I got some audio extension cables it would be alright to use them?

I used to have an apogee ensemble and I think that would probably be great. Unfortunately before I got these headphones, I think it overheated as I moved somewhere very hot, or a tube blew out or something as it doesn't work and I need to get it fixed eventually.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks. So it's probably the amp then. No, I don't really it's just the convenience factor that is nice. How powerful an amp should I get to get the most out of the HE-500's? Also if I got some audio extension cables it would be alright to use them?

I don't know. I have never owned the HE-500s.

There are several factors to consider:

1) the power of the headphone amp at the impedance of the HE-500s
2) the volume you listen to
3) the dynamics of the music you listen to.

So there is no cut and dry answer.

However, you could certainly get something a lot more powerful than you have now. For example, a Schiit Audio Modi 2 + Magni 2 Uber. The Magni 2 Uber can put out 1.5W (not mW) RMS per channel
 in 32 ohms, which is WAY more than your current amp. My guess is you'd be pretty happy with what it can do :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Just wanted to add, I've been using these just on my laptop waiting for a new DAC and they sound freaking phenomenal in logic. Like really good on the software instruments and the violins are melting. I really like these headphones, and more am appreciating how transparent they are as they are used more for different things.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 7

Good suggestion imo.

I have my HE500 hooked-up to this rig for quite some time and it's capable to drive the phones to very loud levels. Impact and dynamics are good too, providing your music source is of good quality of course. Cable-wise I am using the Audioquest Carbon USB connected to an iMac. Sounds good enough to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back