HiFace, sensitive information
Aug 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #151 of 425

Quote:
73 ohms is not 75 ohms,  so you have reflections and hence an increased cable influence. Why would you not want replace the connector with a proper Amphenol for $15 and eliminate the reflections and the need to buy a $200 digital cable?  I also recommend the minicircuits 10 dB attenuator,  helps with the flip/flop overload issue.

Jkeny,  I'm not making any veiled threats I think you need to take off the tinfoil hat again and stop trolling.  Calm down,  we are all in this for the enoyment of the music,  thats all,  its a hobby to be enjoyed not start conspiracy theary and weirdo plots.

Ah come on now, you are grasping at straws - 73 ohms is not 75 ohms? Come on, you know that it's probably closer than most SPDIF outputs. Anyway, let me remind you that you said it was 50 ohms & Marco was a liar - do you still stand by this?

I'll let the readers decide who is calm & who is hung up on a conspiracy theory & weirdo plots!!

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #152 of 425

Quote:
 I think you need to take off the tinfoil hat again and stop trolling.  Calm down,  we are all in this for the enoyment of the music,  thats all,  its a hobby to be enjoyed not start conspiracy theory and weirdo plots.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this one.  Glad that amid all the controversy, humour still has a place.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #153 of 425
Please Jkeny, your appreciation is not beeing constructive at all here, as we all know Xdanny is doing A/B tests with modded units. The real issue is with stock units as you perfectly know. Don't try to make us feel as if we were back at square one. We still have 3 people who have been able to A/B stock HiFace units who are claiming that differences exists and are relevant. I am even considering at this stage to send both units of the HiFace to Slim.a - if he agrees - to get his respectable opinion on the subject. And you already know what will be the outcome.

As you know, overanalysing only leads to paralysis. And you obviously realize it is NOT in the benefit of the community to follow that way.

Quote:
Yes, it is interesting - I sense more than a little of the expectations effecting the listening results in this thread & wonder how many would be able to tell the difference between the units in a double blind test?

A number of blind tests are needed, I feel, before any conclusions can be drawn. Just my 2c (& please don't post to tell me I shouldn't be posting my views about this as I have vested interests) 

I would think indeed that it is in your best interest to sort this question out. What will you do when end users will simply stop ordering stock HiFace to you to have them modded, because they don't know wether they will receive a small clock unit or a large clock unit. I am still myself very interested in listening your modded units, but only if I can get garantees at this stage that I will receive a large MEC oscillator unit... Will you then carry with the sunk cost of the smaller clock units ? Or keep selling small clock units at the expenses of your future customers like M2Tech did ? And what about the rest of HiFace distributors in the world ?

I can assure you that I am very sorry about all this story, as I trully find the HiFace a spectacular device. But your defensive attitude is clearly vulnerating your potential customer interests.

Quote:

Of course, I could be considered to be biased but I really have no position on this other than to say that there is a rush to condemn these smaller clocks on the flimsiest of grounds. Marco has said that they are equivalent & there has been no technical information shown to suggest otherwise.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #154 of 425
All I'm suggesting is to calmly investigate this in a rigorous manner instead of jumping to all sorts of conclusions. I'm was trying to bring some perspective into this thread but am probably wasting my time so I'll withdraw as you suggest. BTW, the Hiface no longer has these smaller clocks so I think you need not worry about future purchases.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #155 of 425
Gentlemen,

I think jkeny is taking a bit of unnecessary criticism here.  It's my opinion.  There are a lot of  people who mod gadgets and would never reveal how they do it in addition to the astronomical sums they charge, many on this forum.  John started by sharing pictures, instructions and so forth so it's obvious any of us could use his technique it's wide open out there.

I really wish Marco would come on this thread and answer some questions, take some heat the way John has and see what happens.  Perhaps Marco could provide some tech specs backing up his claims and so forth.

It would be interesting to know, about how many of us with small clocks have contacted m2Tech about this?  I did and posted the reply, whether satisfactory or not.  I think it's in the interest of this community to have everyone with small clocks come forward and speak up.  I know that if anyone does a search for hiFace, this thread sticks out so it would be hard for those unhappy with the product to miss it. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #156 of 425
I also have a HiFace with a large clock & a small clock, I didn't take a photo after I opened the case but I can.

Here is my information for reference...

Purchased at:  Tweek Geek
Order Date:      05/08/10
Rcv. Date:       05/13/10 (I think)
Clocks:              Large: 24.576MHz  Small: 22.592Mhz

Equipment: Custom PC -> Hiface BNC -> Oyaide DB-510 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Classe CAP-151 -> Totem Forest Speakers

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #157 of 425

Quote:
I also have a HiFace with a large clock & a small clock, I didn't take a photo after I opened the case but I can.

Here is my information for reference...

Purchased at:  Tweek Geek
Order Date:      05/08/10
Rcv. Date:       05/13/10 (I think)
Clocks:              Large: 24.576MHz  Small: 22.592Mhz

Equipment: Custom PC -> Hiface BNC -> Oyaide DB-510 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Classe CAP-151 -> Totem Forest Speakers

Hi SRF

Are you going to mod it?

USG

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #159 of 425

Quote:
I would like to mod it but I don't have the skills to pull it off without butchering the unit, heh. I was hoping someone in the USA was going to provide mods similar to JKeny. I may just ditch the Hiface and go with something else entirely.

Were you able to open it in a way that will enable you to sell it?

USG

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #160 of 425

Quote:
Please Jkeny, your appreciation is not beeing constructive at all here

shamu, the following is representative of Jkeny's position on this issue, and has been throughout the thread ...

"All I'm asking for is sufficient evidence! Until then I think that unfair & unfounded claims/statements should be avoided." - JKeny

Can you explain how this is not being constructive?

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #161 of 425

The evidence was presented,  and frankly those of us that had the defective units are tired of being called liars.  Our statements are not unfair or unfounded as Jenky states below.   Do you see how this would anger us?  Especially after spending near $200 on the defective units?

Quote:
shamu, the following is representative of Jkeny's position on this issue, and has been throughout the thread ...

"All I'm asking for is sufficient evidence! Until then I think that unfair & unfounded claims/statements should be avoided." - JKeny

Can you explain how this is not being constructive?

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #162 of 425

Quote:
The evidence was presented,  and frankly those of us that had the defective units are tired of being called liars.  Our statements are not unfair or unfounded as Jenky states below.   Do you see how this would anger us?  Especially after spending near $200 on the defectic units?

I see your point Regal. It would be virtually impossible to amass any real 'scientific' evidence, given the subjective nature of evaluating the HiFace by listening.  Then there is the question of what constitutes 'sufficient evidence' if there are no measurements made?  Do we go by consensuses like they do with cables. fuses and power cords?  And even if we did, how would that work with everyone having a different rig and listening through different headphones with different sources?

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #163 of 425

Quote:
I see your point Regal. It would be virtually impossible to amass any real 'scientific' evidence, given the subjective nature of evaluating the HiFace by listening.  Then there is the question of what constitutes 'sufficient evidence' if there are no measurements made?  Do we go by consensuses like they do with cables. fuses and power cords?  And even if we did, how would that work with everyone having a different rig and listening through different headphones with different sources?

Exactly, Jkeny knows he is asking for an impossibility,  classic trollish behavior IMHO.  The M2Tech original design had the larger clock,  and they quickly went back to the original design when the supplier made the correct clock available again.  Those actions speak louder than anything else.  End of story.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #164 of 425

Quote:

If the two versions have physically different clock chips, why not use comparative photos for evidence? Sorry if this has been covered, coming in late.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #165 of 425
Ok, I know the three of you are firmly convinced that you hear a difference between the stock Hiface units with large clocks Vs with small clocks. I'm not calling you liars - this is an accusation used by Regal too freely. I just wanted to amass some more evidence of this in a calm & collected way. This is the only way to present a case to Marco for changing these units. I'm on your side but nobody will listen to you if you don't do it in a calm fashion. If you think 3 cases is sufficient evidence then I give up!

Have a look at the posts on the CA review of the Hiface & you will see that not everybody is convinced about the clock issue no matter what you guys think. So just because I raise some valid questions is no reason to turn on me. I ask Regal again - if the clock is the cause of such a night & day sonic difference then how come when you put a battery supply on it, it all comes good? This is a reasonable question & one that worries me about your conclusions of what is behind the sonic differences you hear. Surely you would hear the same night & day difference between small clock & large clock operating off batteries, no?

Unfortunately this thread seems to have become a kind of religious cult - with outrageous & unfounded statements - Marco is accused of duping everybody with this sleight of hand switching of clocks; he's accused of being a liar with the BNC connector being 50 ohm when it should be 75ohm; he's accused of dropping the small clock like a "hot potato" You know these types of statements don't lend credibility to your ability to access the sonic differences in an objective manner. It seems like there is a desire to paint the worst possible picture. Remember the claim that the BNC connectors are 50ohm & not 75ohm was also made & Marco accused of being a liar - CA measured it & it's 73ohm  - I asked Regal if he was still maintaining this accusation of Marco being a liar about the 50 ohm BNC connector but he didn't reply. If you can't see how this & the other statements stack up to being unfair, unfounded & biased then I'm sorry.

These type of statements & the rush to accuse & condemn are what prompted me to ask for some calm & collected views on this. I was hoping that this plea might have an effect but I see now that I'm next up for mob lynching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back