Hidden Songs on CDs
Nov 2, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
i can't believe how friggin lazy some of you can possibly be, did i actually read that some of you don't like to actually have to wait to hear a song for 20 or so seconds, i mean really, what an inconvienience for you it must be. these are the same people who would start a thread saying "hey, what the hell ever happened to the extra tracks on cds, are the bands getting lazy or what?"

i say get a life and worry about something alot more important like the increasingly poor quality of recordings coming out or the absolute seeming lack of talented bands that actually get any airplay on radio or in any newsprint.

or if you really hate those terrible hidden tracks so much, just boycott any cd that has them, or write your favorite band and scold them for daring to do something so tricky and mean!!!

I just wish that they'd make it a seprate track on the disk. If they don't want to put it on the lable so that you feel like you're getting a bonus for having paid for the CD then cool...

Nov 3, 2003 at 11:31 AM Post #33 of 56
Yeah, putting something on a disc after inserted blank space is just annoying. I think Beck's Odelay has some weird electronic noise inserted after about a minute of blank space. Ha ha, big joke, Beck. Go ahead give me a heart palapation. Very funny M@#$%^&*!

Nov 3, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 56
Of course I like hidden tracks on a disc. How can you not like it when a disc you buy has an EXTRA song that you didn't even know was there? What is the problem you have with an extra free song on a cd???

Nov 3, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #36 of 56
Its the silence that separates them. Just when you think the CD is finished, you find out that there's some crap at the back (and most of it IS crap.) It would be much better to simply designate it as another track instead of sticking it in with a normal song after 10 minutes of silence. Its a stupid gimick and one I dont care for.

Nov 3, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 56
I dont understand your reasoning, you say that it is stupid crap on the end, yet you spend the time to wait and listen to it. That is the point of having the empty space, so that in regular listening you don't have to hear it.(ie if it was a seperate track) Usually the stuff is for fans that can't get enough, eg incubus jamming, but the artist knows better than to put it in their track listing, because it isn't polished and packaged for the masses easy consumption.
The only problem I would see is if you listen to cds on repeat, then you are stuck listening to alot of dead air, or forced to walk over and push the skip track button once an hour.

EDIT:
Maybe I don't understand because I don't buy cd's of the mediocre bands that are trying to capitalize on the idea and turn it into a gimmick.

Nov 3, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #38 of 56
At least they could still put it in a separate track though... Like I said, most of the time its stuck onto the previous song, with a bunch of silence to separate them. I normally listen to music while i'm doing something else and when I have things on repeat or use a CD changer, or rip tracks onto MP3, those silences get really damn annoying.

Nov 3, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #39 of 56
ah, I see.

well if nothing else, I have something new to add to my list of why I hate cd-changers.

you have to admit though, that if they did put them on the track listing, there would be someone posting a thread like,
"How come the last song on every album sucks so much?"

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:21 AM Post #40 of 56
You know, there maybe be a far more devious motive behind hidden tracks than just leaving a little surprise on an album. This weekend I was making a "back-up" of an album with a hidden track (The Black Keys' "The Big Come Up"). I used Toast Audio Extractor on the Mac to rip the album and I was using Toast Titanium to burn the CD-R.

Well, the blank space between the final cut and the hidden track caused my cd burner to bomb out. I tried again and bombed out a second time.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm wondering if this might indeed be part of the reason for these hidden tracks as reading the long (20 minute) blank space freaked out Toast and my Yamaha cd writer.

Dec 9, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #42 of 56
my impression of many "bonus tracks" is that they're neither bonus nor track but some sort of scheme to make the cd seem longer than it actually is
biggrin.gif

there are exceptions, of course. i believe there's an unlisted beautiful song at the end of rem's "green" LP - so the idea didn't really start with cds.

as to some attacks in the middle of this thread - could it be that some of us start having christmas anxiety attacks and acute jingle bell stress syndrome?

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
You know, there maybe be a far more devious motive behind hidden tracks than just leaving a little surprise on an album. This weekend I was making a "back-up" of an album with a hidden track (The Black Keys' "The Big Come Up"). I used Toast Audio Extractor on the Mac to rip the album and I was using Toast Titanium to burn the CD-R.

Well, the blank space between the final cut and the hidden track caused my cd burner to bomb out. I tried again and bombed out a second time.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm wondering if this might indeed be part of the reason for these hidden tracks as reading the long (20 minute) blank space freaked out Toast and my Yamaha cd writer.

Being the cynic that I am, I suspected that too. Yeah, like the music industry will ever want to give us consumers anything for "free." I use the MD to record my CDs. I just check off the dead space tracks.

I don't mind bonus tracks if they just tag on another track at the end of the cd. I do mind the ~13 minute dead time on a 15 minutes track with a 2 minute "bonus" song.

Lately i've noticed many of the new cds i bought have these "hidden" tracks. And most of them ain't the "tag on another track at the end" type.

Alas the games that the music industry plays...

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #44 of 56
i like hidden tracks. if i was making a cd i would put a track in the space before the first track and put some stuff in the extra space during songs like instrumental stuff or a really wierd music. and i would make the last song 24 bits wide or maybe write a message in the code of the cd.

that kinda stuff would be cool to find.

Dec 14, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #45 of 56
The only good type of "hidden" track is one that is just unlisted track and begins immediately after last track and is recognized as track by CDP so it can be programmed/skipped etc. I usually program tracks and/or repeat CD when busy.

Unfortunately vast majority are the extremely annoying type that have several minutes of silence after last track leading to often worthless piece of music or joke. You can easily spot these by looking at CD and seeing blank space before last recorded sound.
These suck big time and ruin the last song on CD!
mad.gif

As far as "stop whining, don't be so lazy" logic.......what a joke. How would you like to be watching DVD and have 5 minute blank spot inserted in your movie that can't be programed out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back