Hidden cigar box in amp form?
Jun 4, 2004 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kelesh

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a black metal box that looks in place with my HD300 and black HTPC case. It should have a fake switch, ports, jack, led, etc or whatever is necessary to make it look realistic, but the top should be a lid that is on hinges(hinges at the back).

Where can I buy parts to make this, or buy a cool looking black audio device to make this.

I am willing to spend ~$30-60 for parts or to pay any of you if you think you can do it.

more info about what I want is in THIS THREAD

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 13
Maybe you can just buy a broken component in good cosmetical condition. The only problem I see would be the hinges, since most stuff has screwed on lids, not as easy to open as the top of a box. On the other hand, why not just get a black metal box in a tool store.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
why not just get a black metal box in a tool store.

i want it to go with my HD300 on my desk and be a Super-Secret hidden box.

Also, where can i buy a broken component?

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh
i want it to go with my HD300 on my desk and be a Super-Secret hidden box.

Also, where can i buy a broken component?

Perhaps e-bay, a garage sale or a bazaar. The amp case looks quite industrial also, so maybe a metal box of some sort would suffice too. Hey, maybe the amp maker could give you a hand too.

Jun 4, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 13
If you search for "not working" in Ebay you can find items like this - maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but I'm sure you could find something if you wait a few weeks.

Cheers,

Rexel

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Thats a pretty tall order if you don't really have a workshop or access to the proper tools. You will most likely have to buy an off the shelf enclosure, Lansing Enclosure model GrayBox style A in black, and then modify it to you specs. It will take a bit of work but it can be done.

the link is WWW.lansing-enclosures.com

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 13
i have a dremel, and access to the M.I.T. toolshop and labs.

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 13
I can offer a brand new FREE AhanixD.Vine 3 4 or 5 HTPC case(horizontal case) to anyone who can make me a cool hidden cigar box. The cases sell for $200+ and are brushed aluminum(silver or black).

Check out www.ahanix.com to see the cases.

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 13
It seems the best way to go is to buy that old broken amp. Slice off the top, clean out the guts, and line it with felt or velvet. Intriguing concept.

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 13
i'm offering a $200+ computer case, i'd hope i could get a talented head-fi'er to trade with me.

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 13
they offered me a free case, but i responded by asking them for a black hard drive enclosure, which makes an easy slide-out cigar box, so all i have to do is weight down the back, put in a 1/4" jack or two, a blue led and a switch, and maybe a D battery and a resistor to power the led
smily_headphones1.gif

this should be the coolest hidden box ever, especially in my setup:

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 13
where is a good place to get a volume knob, blue case led, and an on/off switch for cheap? what other things could i put on the front panel of this "device"?

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 13
eh, I can't get the box for free anymore, and $100 seems like alot just to pay for a metal box...

any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back