HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #331 of 516
How does everyone suggest to maximize battery on this? I’ve heard so many different things. I charged it to 90 initially and now it’s about 42. Should I let it go down to like 30 and then fully charge it or just charge it to like 88 or so?
General recommendation for Li-Po batteries is to keep it between 40 and 80. But then again every manufacturer has a different range. Important point is to not let it go to 0 or 100.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #332 of 516
For those who are interested, I just shared my Hiby R8 II review. Lots of info to read and to digest, including in depth analysis of the design, the sound, comparisons, pair-ups, and various wired and wireless connections :)

Nice review. I was considering the R8 II but the reported mild hiss with sensitive iems, the somewhat limited soundstage compared to other TOTL daps and the similarity in sound to zm2 which I already have made me wonder if I should maybe consider other Daps. Always useful to read reviews and comparisons :)

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #333 of 516
Nice review. I was considering the R8 II but the reported mild hiss with sensitive iems, the somewhat limited soundstage compared to other TOTL daps and the similarity in sound to zm2 which I already have made me wonder if I should maybe consider other Daps. Always useful to read reviews and comparisons :)

As long as you are not using Campfire IEMs while listening to classical music, no need to worry as much about the mild waterfall hissing :wink: But yeah, R8ii was definitely a surprise when you consider its performance relative to RS8 or other TOTL DAPs while being priced much lower.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #334 of 516
Where do you read limited soundstage in that review ?

Only N8 II and P6 Pro that have a bit wider soundstage.

If R8 II have limited soundstage then ZM2 even more limited.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #335 of 516
It’s safe to say that you need a quick charging brick to charge this. I’ve had it plugged into my computer for an hour and it’s only charged 1% 😂

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #338 of 516
It’s safe to say that you need a quick charging brick to charge this. I’ve had it plugged into my computer for an hour and it’s only charged 1% 😂

your computer's USB port output is probably 0.5A, so will need at least 24hrs to charge it from empty to full 12,000 mAh (ideally: 12Ah/0.5A plus some additional time because of the efficiency loss due to the heat) :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #339 of 516
your computer's USB port output is probably 0.5A, so will need at least 24hrs to charge it from empty to full 12,000 mAh (ideally: 12Ah/0.5A plus some additional time because of the efficiency loss due to the heat) :)
It may not charge at all depending on what he’s playing on which gain. I’m quite sure it will use more power than the computer‘s USB port can provide.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #340 of 516
It may not charge at all depending on what he’s playing on which gain. I’m quite sure it will use more power than the computer‘s USB port can provide.

yep, and I was assuming he was just charging it without using it. Because while using it, the discharge rate will be even faster than charging it up :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #341 of 516
Yes the usb c to usb c does charge faster than the USB c to usb a. The usb a is crazy slow. I have a 30w charging brick but I have read that fast charging could degrade the battery. Anyone know if that’s true? I set the max charge at 88%.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #342 of 516
Yes the usb c to usb c does charge faster than the USB c to usb a. The usb a is crazy slow. I have a 30w charging brick but I have read that fast charging could degrade the battery. Anyone know if that’s true? I set the max charge at 88%.
You worry too much my friend. Just make sure you don't let the battery go empty or charge it to 100% always and you'll be fine for some years before it degrades to a level where it needs to be replaced. By that time you probably would have sold this one and got whatever the next "best" DAP the Chi-fi market is cooking !

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #343 of 516
HIBY-R8-II-7-overlay.png

https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-r8-ii-review/

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #344 of 516
4 R8 IIs in Classifieds already one month after the release.
Looks like it’s not as good as it is hyped up.

Whats next ? @Joe Bloggs Please give us a killer DAP like the R6 Pro II but this time with the ES9039Pro DACs, better amplification and battery life. I heard somewhere that this was originally the plan but then was dropped in favor of the in-house solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back